Grindhouse: Planet Terror

Started by Beorning, September 10, 2013, 02:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

I've recently seen the Planet Terror movie by Robert Rodriguez... I'm kind of undecided whether I liked it or not. I understand the basic idea (homaging / spoofing zombie B-movies), but I'm sure whether this movie was actually fun to watch.

One memorable thing for me? The soundtrack. Composed by Rodriguez and genuinely creepy. Also, I really like the "Sorry, missing reel" moment  ;D

Anyone here willing to share their opinion on this movie?

Sabby

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't tell if it was being a parody of old bad films or if it just was bad.

RedPhoenix

This movie is basically an example to me of how if you're trying to be bad on purpose you'll fall flat. The real "good" terrible movies all took themselves very seriously and that's what made them hilarious in my opinion.

Quote from: Beorning on September 10, 2013, 02:32:15 PMAlso, I really like the "Sorry, missing reel" moment  ;D

I didn't really find this funny at all it was just too cutesy. Like, trying too hard or something.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Satanic mechanic

I'm not really a big fan of movies being deliberately bad because they're an homage to old b-movies. Some parts were fun though, like the scene with Tarantino.

Beorning

Quote from: RedPhoenix on September 10, 2013, 04:00:05 PM
This movie is basically an example to me of how if you're trying to be bad on purpose you'll fall flat. The real "good" terrible movies all took themselves very seriously and that's what made them hilarious in my opinion.

Yeah. You can't replicate true badness

*fondly recalls Curse of the Snake Valley...*

I didn't really find this funny at all it was just too cutesy. Like, trying too hard or something.

Personally, I found this a good metatextual idea. Especially the fact that the "missing reel" contained some supposedly-important bits of action, as well as the reveal of main character's mysterious past... It was interesting to watch a movie that's deliberately incomplete.