News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fruit!

Started by Brokk, April 26, 2024, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brokk

While my gardening skills leave much to be desired, I do have a passion for growing fruit. I was wondering if anyone else happened to grow any in their yard or in their home. If so, what do you grow?

In my yard I am currently growing:
Apples (several varieties)
Asian pears
Bosc pears
Blackberries
Raspberries
Blueberries
Strawberries
Gooseberries
Mulberries
Grapes
Rhubarb (I think that counts as a fruit?)

I also have a cherry tree that is too young to produce and a cherry bush that refuses to produce anything. I have a young persimmon tree that has been struggling so I'm not sure when it might first produce.

In the past I have also tried growing apricots, more cherries, and peaches.

Eva

My gardening skills also leave much to desire, though I do love the results of my minimal efforts. Your selection sounds amazing. 

I have one apple tree, though it has several varieties grafted to the root-stock. Unfortunately the tags naming the varieties were lost and so I don't know the types, but one section yields a variety of yellow apples. Last year, it's 6th in my possession, was the first year I've had any real yield and I am looking forward to seeing what happens this year. The blossoms are not as far along as they were last year.

I also consider putting in some raspberries or blackberries, but never pull the trigger. My yard is large for the urban area I live in, but not extensive, so my five raised vegetable beds and the one tree take up most of the sunny spots. Do you suggest one berry over another?

Brokk

Quote from: Eva on April 27, 2024, 08:36:09 AMI also consider putting in some raspberries or blackberries, but never pull the trigger. My yard is large for the urban area I live in, but not extensive, so my five raised vegetable beds and the one tree take up most of the sunny spots. Do you suggest one berry over another?

I find blackberries, once established are easiest to grow.  Raspberries like to wander too much (like strawberries). I also find the blackberries produce a lot more, but the seeds can give them a off taste that people don't always appreciate. I've found ways to still make delicious things with them, often removing the seeds in the process. Both types of plants will try to take over your yard though.

Blueberries are more stable and well behaved. Gooseberries can be finicky about where they will grow. Strawberries are pretty easy, but they do like to walk. So you need to redo the bed every couple years.

Blueberries would be my top recommendation. Followed by strawberries then blackberries (get the domestic, thorn-less variety). If you do opt for raspberries, I suggest you look for an ever-bearing variety. They tend to give you fruit throughout the season, rather than just dumping on you all at once.

Eva

I'll go with blackberries then. My favorite are raspberries, my love's favorite are blackberries, But I am a lazy gardener, so blackberries it is! They'll be in a bed that once held strawberries, which has since been taken over by mint. The previous owners made the bad decision to plant mint in the ground and it took over. I've been thinning it out for years so the blackberries should have a decent chance. I do not want to plant another plant I must corral as much as I have had to the mint.

I am really envious of your orchard. How do mulberries taste?

Brokk

Mulberries have a very mild flavor.  So much so, that they make a terrible ingredient in most recipes. They just have a mild sweetness. Like a grape, but without the skin. They need something else to bring them to life.  I once tried mulberry/rhubarb and it came out pretty well.

Raspberries grow through their roots, so they like to wander unless you block their roots from travelling.  They can be as invasive as mint.

Blackberries grow very, very, long canes (15-20' in some cases) and where the tips touch the ground they will take root and start a new plant.  They  can be controlled by building a frame for them to grow on, which helps keep them higher, off the ground and makes it way easier to pick the fruit.  I usually just drive sturdy stakes in the ground 6-8' apart, then run thick wire between them. In the spring I will cut out the old canes that gave fruit and take all the new growth from the previous season and wrap those canes around the wires.  They will send out more shoots that the berries will grow off of.  I put the wire about 4-5' off the ground, so the fruit is easy to see and pick. They don't really need weeding, spraying or anything else.  Just that once/year re-org.  So very low maint.

Eva

Good to know about the mulberries, I had been curious, likely owing to the old rhyme/song. 

I just bought three thornless blackberry plants at your suggestion, so thank you for that. 

There's a giant tree on my neighbor's property that shades about 70% of my yard. It's old and not doing great. While I appreciate the shade in the summer, I dream of someday planting an elder tree for the berries. You've got me making plans...