Curse of Strahd (5th DnD adventure recruitment)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, October 26, 2018, 04:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

I am The Ancient, I am The Land. My beginnings are lost in the darkness of the past. I was the warrior, I was good and just. I thundered auoss the land like the wrath of a just god, but the war years and the killing years wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand.

-Strahd von Zarovich

Welcome for 5th DnD adventure recruitment, I have ran in RL once this module and willing to run it in here on E. With some flavor changes and other changes which may surprise those who had ran the module once before. The game will be gothic horror game, it will play on horror elements and gothic aesthetics/ideals. But also bit smut (as expected running game on E in general). Smut will not be forced in but rather player driven and some 'bad ends' can have smut elements on request basis from players (if your char is going to die then why not kill him/her through smut/snuff style?). NPC's can be romanced and smutted as well (again by player initiative). Char gen differs slightly from the norm and so details in below;

Stat Array: 27pts point buy (the standard)
Level: 3th level
Races: Core + from listed sources below + official published ones
Sources allowed: Unearthed Arcana + core + adventure's guide and the Blood Hunter from Geek&Sundry and of course player options for Curse of Strahd
Alignment: Any non-evil and lawful evil allowed
Gear: 500gp + 1 uncommon item + 1 gothic trinket from player options link above (rolled randomly)

However albeit full sheet is plus on submission, you can use also template in below for quick submission which is equally considered. I am thinking for 4-6 party size (which one slot is already occupied by Roleplay Frog who requested module to be run). Note; in regards images use anime/art pics than photos. Preferably gothic themed. In regards origins of the chars; you can go use homebrew setting, Faerun, Golarion or even Eberron. As in start of adventure I will arrange everyone together (connections if any before group forming is allowed and encouraged).

[float=right][img height=300]IMAGE URL HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b] (besides what pic provides or is same)
[b]Background:[/b] (the one which adds skills and starting gear)
[b]Biography:[/b] (one paragraph about life before becoming adventurer and one paragraph about life being adventurer and around couple sentences about personality)

NOTE: RECRUITMENT STARTS TODAY ON FRIDAY 26.10 AND ENDS ON SATURDAY 3.11!

Chulanowa

Shit, ya beat me to it Zaer!

well, if I can't run it, i'll definitely play in it  ;D

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 26, 2018, 04:55:12 AM

Well, halloween is coming and I am busy in RL in running halloween party to students in next friday (and before friday need do prep work), but after it my schelude/time opens up bit more. So thus why week recruitment time. Anyways welcome to join in :). Reason for higher level is to allow folks start in archetype already and be less scared on initial encounters (as in RL party's worst opponent in first area was animated broom who secretly was possessed by kung-fu master who knocked out three from four party members before defeated and fourth was sitting taking dump in bathroom when fight started).

Later on worst foe was vampire mage (who escaped alive) who killed party cleric fourteen times (meaning place him under 0 HP). Was plasted with magic missiles (four times), fire ball (three times), rolling ball of fire (ran over by twice), blight (twice) and scorching ray (twice) and once by throwing a coffing (not his own but other vampire who was slain) out from second floor window at atop him (as party grew smart to drag cleric outside daylight so vampire has harder time kill him for good). Vampire ran off as he ran out of spells and rest party was able to fight (while vampire warrior got knocked out to take sun bath by legendary strenght check by bull rush maneuver by skinniest half-elf ranger alive with anger issues on wildlife/wolves and undead). At end of said episode cleric appearance can be summarized; 'Looks like badly burned sausage from hell'.

And do not get me started in party wizard sending raven check out area ahead in amber temple and result being raven becoming roasted crispy by million magic missiles and fireball. Said wizard ate the raven/turkey as dinner before summoning new one (after dealing with enemies spawned).

Muse

Yo! I would very much love to play. I have several ideas for cleric, did
Druid or blade singer. But are Dallas
Calibans and rabenloft natives a thing?
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 26, 2018, 04:55:12 AM

Do two of 'em, perhaps one will genuinly survive 'till the end? *chuckles*

Unrelatedly, what's the rationale behind allowing LE exclusively, just outta curiosity.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Muse on October 26, 2018, 07:16:30 AM
Calibans and rabenloft natives a thing?

Calibans allowed, just use half-orc race and just need go bit creative how add such char into rest of the group (may come off from other Ravenloft realm or be native from Barovia itself which is ran by Strahd). I also allow vistani (which are just basically humans but instead bonus feat they get the vistani powers to curse people).

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 26, 2018, 07:58:18 AM
Unrelatedly, what's the rationale behind allowing LE exclusively, just outta curiosity.

Because LE is easier to cooperate with other players overall. Also based on module in certain parts NE or CE party member may not we wisest ideas at all (lack of wisdom = lethal). Also overall story plot favors neutral or good heroes but I would allow LE party member but rest evil alignments would be harder to motivate or fit into module's story.

Roleplay Frog

I mean I get motivational things but why's NE or CE associated with a lack of wisdom? I do believe Dagon has something to say about that for example. :P

Zaer Darkwail

I was not speaking of players or characters wisdom; but rather circumstances. Example key NPC would not cooperate at all with the party at all if they got any NE or CE individuals in it and without said NPC interaction party will not progress in the plot (or rather progress with chance of success). I could GM rule and allow the NPC interact anyways, but overall I just do not want deal with NE or CE chars for this game at the time.

Plus I have seen some players refuse join games if there are any NE or CE chars in it (even if I would not even accept them in one reason or other, just the presence of them makes folks loose interest).

Muse

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on October 26, 2018, 10:37:05 AM
Plus I have seen some players refuse join games if there are any NE or CE chars in it (even if I would not even accept them in one reason or other, just the presence of them makes folks loose interest).

True that. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Roleplay Frog

Well, that's silly.. I mean, not addressed at you at all, but in general. But it's propably a bad rep kinda thing... But not to derail the topic. :P
I've noted before that I feel heroic characters, genuine heroes, get the best experience outta these things.

I feel tempted just trying to revive the last character I tried to run for the Curse of Strahd here, *digging noises* Aha.

Gonna focus on being the tank that can dish out some ouchies if ignored.

Name: Alexander Gravenholme
Race: Human
Class: Fighter (Battlemaster)
Description: Alexander always dresses professional and for the occasion. Black is always right for the occasion, of course.
Background: Haunted One (Investigation, Survival, Monster Hunter Pack, Language: Abyssal.)
Biography:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Fanciful themes!

German themes!
Alexander is a fourth-Generation Funeral home owner. From a young age, he knew he wanted to take on his fathers job. He enjoyed the peace and quiet.. and giving it to other people was something respectable. He sucessfully took over his fathers obligations after an untimely but natural death and was about to woo the perfect young maiden to aid him in his duties, but tragedy struck.

A necromancer raised an army of his and his fathers past clients to march against a nearby adventuring party that had opposed him, caring little for the townspeople, which just ment more soldiers for the undead army. For Alexander, who had the luck of sleeping behind a locked door, it ment losing who he thought the love of his young life.
When the necromancer was finally destroyed, Alexander was left with the thankless task of trying to bury a mass of old bones. He had to figure out out which bone belonged where.. and worse, much worse, bury many of the zombified versions of townsfolk he had known.. including her. There was little he could do but give her the most beautiful coffin he owned, one ment for a noble, and get to his grisly work. When he was done, it felt as if the young man had grown many years older and although he swallowed down his despair and sorrow, much of his serious and graven tone was no longer just an act for any relatives.

But that was not the end of his woes. Thanks to the Necromancers overly generous and desperate spellcasting, Alexanders little graveyard had become soaked in enough negative energy to cause corpses to spontaneously rise, occasionally, even years after the necromancer had been gone.
This was, of course, poison to his business and the man decided.. he would not let this stand.
He would bury all undead that still walked the earth and make sure they stayed where they belonged. His shovel had served him well enough against the average zombie after all.

Wherever the by now somewhat experienced undeadhunter went, he found more of his quarry to properly put into their graves, but not always someone to pay for the service, as it was hard to find the next-of-kin for a skeleton, still, where there was no pay, his conviction drove him on.
The thing he does not realize is that, after slaying a multitude of the undead and lacking a cleric or paladins precautions he himself has become soaked in excess necrotic energies, not harming him but oftentimes beckoning the undead to him, enticing them, like if he was a strange fishers lure. The world is not as filled with the living dead as he thinks it.

Personality:
Alexander is sombre, talkative, and average. For his profession and by his claims, anyway. To the average person he more likely comes over as a rather serious man with a more than healthy amount of dark humor, a side-effect of his trade. He is certainly not a bad man that would inflict pain on others without great need, nor is he a saint that would give away his belongings to the needy.

Statstuffs: HD 3d10, (Hp 28, assuming averages) AC: 17
Str:16    +3
Dex: 10
Con: 16  +3
Int: 10
Wis: 9     -1
Cha 12    +1

Race-Stuff:
Human: Bonus skill proficiency, +1 cons and str, Bonus feat

Class stuff: Strong Save: Cons and Str
Second Wind, Action surge, Fighting Style(Great Weapon), Superiority Die (4d8), Maneuvers: Trip Attack, Maneuvering Attack, Sweeping Attack
Student of War(I just want better woodcarving!)

Feat:
Great Weapon Master

Skill proficiencies:
Investigation, Survival, Insight, History, Perform (Violin)

Gear: Splint Mail (-200 gold), Monster Hunter Backpack and foodstuffs (35 goldish), Maul (10 gold), Light hammer (2gp), Violin, Woodcarver's Tools (1 gp), Horse x2 100 gp, Carriage 100 gp, some good wood for coffins ad hoc 2 gp.
5.0 Gear selection is a hot mess. Can't even find reliable core-pricings for as simple a thing as a lower healing potion. I want to apply the stats of a greatsword to a large shovel, stylewise and smack people with it. Feel free to come up with whatever you think apropriate, magically. I feel like it could both be a boon and a curse to him. OTOH, I just figured out 500 gp can easily buy me a literal Gravediggers coach, which I am so doing.  I can just imagine him going 'Just hop into the back, all good!'
Gold remaining: 20

Gothic Trinket: 87–88 An old little doll made from a dark, dense wood and
missing a hand and a foot
-> Never been a fan of random rolls. They work fine if you got no creative concept. If you do they're inspiering at best and weird at worst.

Muse

Well with a fine gentleman like that aroudn there's not so much need for Gilbert Blythe, Caliban at Large--a big burly monk in a tuxedo. 

And I've got a cleric of Lathander in A Feverish End.  Bladesinger girl it is!  :) 

Roleplay Frog

Ehehe.. yeah, I stole the melee'ists seat, but dun be taken aback by that in what you wanna do.

Ampere

Name: Kallista Coilbone
Race: Tiefling
Class: Wizard
Description: Grey-skinned, with shockingly orange eyes behind functional glasses. She is below average height and rather frail in appearance, but is still quite arresting (if a little smug and condescending). Her dark hair stands out in contrast to her otherwise pale complexion and she emphasises this further with a prediliction for dark clothing/makeup.
Background: Charlatan
Biography: Kallista's mother taught her very early in life that she could rely on no-one else. Especially not family. Shunned by most and seen as little less than a pawn by others, the young Tiefling could have grown into the creature others feared she already was. But instead, Kallista retreated into her own fantasy world of imaginary friends and hidden secrets. In fact, she became so adept at crafting new roles for herself and others that sometimes it was hard to remember that she was just the half-fiend daughter of a humble seamstress. And, it was during one of these episodes that the precocious child presented herself to the local mage's guild.

The wizard lives a number of lies, most so convoluted she has trouble remember what the truth ever was. She's not actually malicious, just reflexively dishonest. It did come as a bit of a surprise when Kallista discover she actually did have an affinity for magic (although given her heritage that perhaps should have been obvious) but that doesn't stop her from vastly overstating her skills or abilities. There is a risk that she might adopt a new persona, but with new friends upon whom it is just possible she can rely, this does seem to be diminishing.

Deceptive, and occasionally abrasive, but happy to play the role of wise wizard who freely offers their power in the aid of others. Inwardly terrified of giving away too much or, allowing anyone getting too close.

Ring of mind-shielding
A tiny clockwork figurine of a dancer that’s missing a gear and doesn’t work

Mechanics
HD 3d6, (Hp 14) AC: 12
Str: 8    -1
Dex: 14 +2
Con: 10  +0
Int: 16  +3
Wis: 12   +1
Cha 15    +2

Tiefling:
Darkvision (60 ft.), Hellish Resistance (fire), Spells: thaumaturgy (at will), hellish rebuke (1/long rest)

Wizard Strong Save: Int and Wis
Arcane Recovery, Illusion Savant, Improved Minor Illusion (sound and image), Ritual Casting

Proficiencies:

Deception, Sleight of Hand, Insight, Arcana
Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit
Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.

O&O's

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 26, 2018, 05:39:42 PM
Gothic Trinket: 87–88 An old little doll made from a dark, dense wood and
missing a hand and a foot
-> Never been a fan of random rolls. They work fine if you got no creative concept. If you do they're inspiering at best and weird at worst.

Well, it's also part of creativity to work with what you got as well. How you would imagine your char have found (and kept) said doll? I added this part as the only random part what comes to your char generation (can choose class, race, alignment, items, gold purchase etc). This adds bit touch of unique flavor.

Also if someone else rolls same trinket, you could then cooperate RP between two chars noticing they got same item (and perhaps get idea build a full intact doll from parts from other).

Roleplay Frog

oh yeah, let's finish the spoopy gothic doll to come alive and 50-50 sex or kill us.

Kathyan

Hi everyone, just came back to E and I'm looking for games and hey you definitively got my attention here Zaer. I'll take a look at my options on what to build. We can use any official published material right? I mean your wording at the starting post was a little weird so just making myself sure ^^. Also what would be the thing of the vistani, I might consider playing as one... Um in the case I was not are we outsiders, ravenloft locals or can we choose?

Zaer Darkwail

You can choose be outsiders or locals. Vistani are just humans who loose bonus feat for their curse powers (they got two; evil eye and something other as well which likely comes on later level). I will dig my book and post details later. But yes, any official published material is okay to this game and unearthed and adventurer's guide as examples.

Kathyan

Ok cool :) will give a quick look at classes to decide on what to build. Evil eye sounds really interesting too.

Drowdeviant

STRAAAAAHD! >:U

...*plants interest flag*...*Also leaves this here*
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Roleplay Frog

Lorewise it'd be quite a different experience to play a Vistani though, iirc in 2nd edition they weren't even player characters, if it were me I'd go for half-vistani tops.

Ershin

Oh, nice. I've been looking to try out 5e, but I'm not sure what I want to play. The main choices I'm drawn to being Bard, Warlock or Rogue (Arcane Trickster). Not really sure which to choose between those three though

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Ershin on October 27, 2018, 10:19:24 AM
Oh, nice. I've been looking to try out 5e, but I'm not sure what I want to play. The main choices I'm drawn to being Bard, Warlock or Rogue (Arcane Trickster). Not really sure which to choose between those three though

Warlock is the easiest, Rogue the hardest to play. I'd only recommend rogue for experienced players as you need to have good move action economy overview to play them to their fullest. If the challenge is your thing, grab rogue.

If not, bard is more the help the group out thing, warlock more the poke the enemies with magic thing, so pick your pickaxe.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 27, 2018, 10:17:50 AM
Lorewise it'd be quite a different experience to play a Vistani though, iirc in 2nd edition they weren't even player characters, if it were me I'd go for half-vistani tops.

Well mainly because they're supposed to be loyal to Strahd above anyone else. They are his nameless mooks! xD
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Drowdeviant on October 27, 2018, 10:27:35 AM
Well mainly because they're supposed to be loyal to Strahd above anyone else. They are his nameless mooks! xD

That's a crass oversimplification, I wont go into details not to spoil anything for those new to the module but for starters, Raveloft is designed so that any of the villains are not nameless mooks and xp bags. (well, if it can be avoided anyway).

While I got you, you keep 'planting your flags' on a lot of rps, but I've not seen much come from it, particular reason for that?

Kathyan

I was considering going rogue myself too, but ended up deciding for a bard of whispers. Might go human to get the actor feat but the idea of going vistani sounds so cool too. Will have a look at the backgrounds for now

Quote from: Drowdeviant on October 27, 2018, 10:27:35 AM
Yeah that sort of makes it not so appropriate but can still be worked with it, plus it sounds cool :P

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on October 27, 2018, 10:17:50 AM
Yeah I remember how they were not selectable on 2e but they were on 3e, open license though. Anyway maybe I'll go with your idea and go half vistani