GM wanted for Dragonball Z Adventure Game [System Game]

Started by Malkavian, April 06, 2021, 12:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

I don't know if anyone has this RPG system let alone wants to run it, but just in case such an individual exists on here...

I have a Saiyan character that I made a while ago but have never managed to play. I've included her information below.

Would be happy to run this as a solo- or group-game, provided I can find a GM. Not opposed to smut, but would rather keep it minimal and story-appropriate.

If any of the above appeals, send me a PM or post here.

Character Information & Statistics
OKURA
Species: Saiyan
Personality: Friendly, outgoing, yet sometimes rash and highly competitive. Okura values her friends and her adopted guardians above all else, and will do anything for them. She's not terribly bright, and oftentimes comes across as a bit clueless. She likes almost everyone, but can bear a grudge with frightening ease.
History: Okura was born on Planet Vegeta, and was among the untold number of Saiyans who died as a result of Frieza’s merciless attack. Her father, a low-class warrior called Daikon, was devastated by her death, and began searching tirelessly for a means of resurrecting her; in the end he was successful, though only at the ritualistic cost of his own life. Unable to be revived on the non-existent Planet Vegeta, Okura was instead resurrected on the only other planet Daikon knew to inhabit Saiyan life: Earth.

The siblings Rin and Toya, joint owners of the Altlock Company, discovered the confused and weakened twelve-year-old in the wilds outside of Northern City; they provided her with answers and medical care and even accepted the legal role as her guardians, providing the youth with a home, and a foundation from which to begin her life. Although still psychologically scarred from the loss of her home and father, Okura quickly came to idolise and respect Rin and Toya both, and made it her duty to protect and help them in whatever way she could.

Before long, Okura was forced to enrol at the local high school – which provided the young Saiyan with a measure of new challenges. Although initially ostracised by her peers because of her tail and weird mannerisms, she quickly rose to popularity due to her defence of the weaker pupils from their less scrupulous peers, whilst her carefree attitude and dominating physical prowess had earned her a wide-spread measure of acceptance from the more critical members of the student body. By the end of her first year, she had already become well known among the local teenagers, and that reputation led to her being entered by her classmates into many of the local martial arts tournaments.

Although Okura had never been trained as a martial artist, her Saiyan heritage and natural gifts as a warrior gave her an immense edge over the competition, and with each successful conquest in the martial arts scene her competitive nature grew. Before long she had emerged the victor in every tournament into which she had been entered – and Northern City’s high school has gained no small measure of renown because of it.
Schticks: Okura has an insatiable appetite – she will eat whatever, whenever, and wherever she can. She also has a penchant for bad jokes, puns, and other twitch-inducing styles of humour, as well as a secret fondness for romance literature and stories.

CHARACTERISTICS & POWER
Power Level: 650 | Power Up: 140
Physical: 10 | Combat: 15 | Mental: 4 | Move: 11
Defence: 50 | Hits: 100

SKILLS
Fighting: 28 [13 + Combat 15]
Evasion: 28 [13 + Combat 15]
Weapon: 15 [0 + Combat 15]
Power: 25 [10 + Combat 15]
Body: 18 [8 + Physical 10]
Mind: 10 [6 + Mental 4]

FIGHTING TECHNIQUES
Lightening Assault: +2 extra dice (-2 Skill Cost) – A lightening fast assault of punches and kicks that target every vulnerable point of a target's body.
Spirited Dash: +5 extra dice (-5 Skill Cost) - A lightening sprint that closes distance, ending with a lifting knee to the gut.
Upsy-Daisy: +7 extra dice (-7 Skill Cost) - Moving in close, Okura presses the heel of her foot beneath the chin of her opponent, and then physically lifts them into the air; she then uses that same foot to slam them head-first into the ground.
Triple Battery: +10 extra dice (-10 Skill Cost) - Sweeping out the legs of the opponent, Okura carries them further skyward with a punch to the gut before slamming them down with a double-hammer to the spine.

POWERS
Arc Cutter: 50-100 - A devastating, sweeping up-rush of energy that cuts a semi-circular path ahead of Okura.
Energy Blast: 25-200 - A powerful energy blast, varied in power.
Vengeance Pulse: 300-400 – With a wide stance, Okura closes her eyes and slams her palms together ahead of her; after dwelling on memories of Planet Vegeta, and with an angry shout, she swings her arms wide, sending forth a devastating blast of energy.

SPECIES FEATURES
Great Ape: When directly at a full moon, Okura transforms into an Oozaru – a Great Ape. This increases her Power Levels, Power Ups, Hits, Defence, Physical, Move, and Combat Stats tenfold (Mental Stats and all Skills stay the same). Once transformed, Okura remains in this state until: someone cuts off her tail (takes at least 15 dice - will re-grow in about five years unless permanently removed via magic or surgery); the real moon sets (or fake moon is turned off); or it naturally ends.
Multiple Gravities: Like other Saiyans, Okura can jump up to 10 gravities per year when training, and has no known gravity maximum.
Near Death: When nearly killed (reduced down to her last five Hits), Okura will automatically increase her Power Level and Power Ups by a factor of 1.5 to 3 times their previous level (roll 1d6: on a 4 or lower, the increase is 1.5; on a 5, the increase is 2 times; on a 6, the increase is 3 times).
Saiyan Rage: When pushed into a state of uncontrollable rage, Okura’s Characteristics, Power Ups, Power Levels, and Skills double for 1d6+5 phases. She can become enraged like this only once during any one battle.

wander

I actually own all the DBZ rpg books and even got a pdf of the finished though unreleased Android Saga.

I'd not GM, though I'd play for sure.

What level of stats does your character and what sort of character creation rules and numbers are you looking at? The numbers can get pretty wild from the base game through the whole Namek and Freiza saga stuff. Like fresh created characters would have an issue with Raditz, though the canon characters of course go way higher with power than that...

Over 9000 at times, haha!  :D

Mainly asking so myself and others who may show interest know for the appropriate level of power for fellow PCs and npcs for fightin'.  :-)

Malkavian

I made my Saiyan as per the first rulebook (even qualified for Saiyan with the snake eyes roll). I will edit this post later on to share Okura's stats for ease of reference, but I imagine starting low level and then growing in power would be the most enjoyable.

Edit: I've added Okura's stats to my first post.

Quote from: wander on April 06, 2021, 08:25:35 AMI actually own all the DBZ rpg books and even got a pdf of the finished though unreleased Android Saga.

I have the Saiyan book (core), the Frieza one, the Android one, and the draft copy of the Cell book, too.

Green Goo Theory

I've never played the game but I've read through the books a few times.  It looks interesting despite a few fluff/lore issues I saw with the books.  Obviously, I couldn't DM but if this turns into a group game and people were willing I'd participate. 
Coming soon...

Malkavian

Glad to see there's some interest - just a shame we're missing a GM so far.

Also, nabbing this as a good Okura theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD43uUUf2AI

Raku

I would like to express interest as a player, but I know your looking for a gm more than that.

Green Goo Theory

Just to supply some additional information I'm totally on board with the lower power level game.  I would prefer it, even.  Unless it was a saiyan-centric game I also wouldn't be super into playing a saiyan.  Even without the rule limiting their use.  As for which of my many character concepts I use it'll depend on the DM and how they want to roll with certain rules and races. 
Coming soon...

Laughing Hyena

I know this system though I have never played it. I bought the core book about twenty years ago. I'd have to reread it though but I would be interested in playing it.

Malkavian

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on April 08, 2021, 08:19:32 PMJust to supply some additional information I'm totally on board with the lower power level game.  I would prefer it, even.  Unless it was a saiyan-centric game I also wouldn't be super into playing a saiyan.  Even without the rule limiting their use.  As for which of my many character concepts I use it'll depend on the DM and how they want to roll with certain rules and races.

I lucked out on my roll for Saiyan, and though I have a few ideas it's Okura that I'm most attached to, which is why I put her up. Think at her lowest power level she'd work well with a non-Saiyan group.

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Malkavian on April 09, 2021, 05:19:36 AM
I lucked out on my roll for Saiyan, and though I have a few ideas it's Okura that I'm most attached to, which is why I put her up. Think at her lowest power level she'd work well with a non-Saiyan group.

Oh, she definitely fits into that type of game (my lack of knowledge on balance in this particular game notwithstanding).  It obviously worked in canon.  I'm on board with whatever direction we go.  With all the ideas I have I'm holding off on actually putting any character into this system until I know where we're starting. 
Coming soon...

Malkavian

If people prefer, I did find this website for an unofficial set of DBZ RPG rules: https://dbu-rpg.com/ I have no idea how the rules run or work, but it might prove a little more balanced than the Adventure Game system.

I might try giving them a quick skim and then re-create Okura through it. If anyone else here has used the rules, or fancies giving them a read, let me know what you think: we might have an easier time of attracting a GM using them if it's a free and (arguably easier) system.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of any other systems, we can give them a look - provided the Adventure Game original option isn't desirable.

Edit: If the Adventure Game isn't desired - and no alternative system is desirable - then I would be up for free-form (though it would make combat a hectic mess, since no-one is going to want to lose to someone else).

Laughing Hyena

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Malkavian on April 11, 2021, 12:06:17 PM
If people prefer, I did find this website for an unofficial set of DBZ RPG rules: https://dbu-rpg.com/ I have no idea how the rules run or work, but it might prove a little more balanced than the Adventure Game system.

I might try giving them a quick skim and then re-create Okura through it. If anyone else here has used the rules, or fancies giving them a read, let me know what you think: we might have an easier time of attracting a GM using them if it's a free and (arguably easier) system.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of any other systems, we can give them a look - provided the Adventure Game original option isn't desirable.

Edit: If the Adventure Game isn't desired - and no alternative system is desirable - then I would be up for free-form (though it would make combat a hectic mess, since no-one is going to want to lose to someone else).

The specific system doesn't matter to me.  Freeform does require considerably more trust but I'm generally fine with that.  There's also some lite freeform-based systems I've seen. 

Didn't really look like anyone was against the Adventure system, though. Just no one wanted to GM.  At least right now, even in a system I was familiar with, I just don't have time to GM. 
Coming soon...

Malkavian

Happy to keep with the Adventure Game system. Was more just offering alternatives to it in case people had chosen not to respond to a DBZ game due to lacking the system.

Laughing Hyena

Sad thing is I cannot find my own physical handbook (only ever had the Saiyan handbook) anywhere in the books I moved here. Hopefully it wasn't donated or lost in the shuffle. But since I cannot find it I cannot GM it without stats and I had an idea for stories and such. I recall this to be a quite loose set of rules when it gets down to it. I could use a fresh up. Is there a copy of such I can view from my browser? Like an SRD or such?

Malkavian

Not one that I have access to, but no doubt one does exist. XD

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Malkavian on April 13, 2021, 07:06:51 PM
Not one that I have access to, but no doubt one does exist. XD

Highly questionable websites to be sure. (least thats what Google points me towards.) Not gonna chance that. I really hope its at the other house, misplaced or in the storage. That really would suck if I actually donated it or lost it and now this game shows up... Fuck.

Malkavian

If it helps, I can walk you through the rules - but my copy is softback, so I don't have a PDF myself.

Laughing Hyena

Please do a walkthrough if you want. PM or not its just a crash course, to hopefully give me the tools needed to run combat and make fleshed out NPCs. I have the story I want, I just need the mechanics.

Edit: After a refresher on Dragonball and Malkavian's crash course I have decided to be the GM. Drafting story and speccing NPCs now.

Malkavian

Laughing Hyena

First off if any have concepts they want to pitch for their characters, please first roll for species. 2d6. The results go like this. 2= Saiyan, 3 = Namekian, 4-12 = Human

Heres how to create a character (Thanks again Malkavian)

Crash Course on DBZ Character Creation
1.) Choose species - Humans, Nameccians, or Saiyans. To play as a Nameccian, you need to roll a 3 or less on 2d6; to play as a Saiyan, you need to roll a 2 on 2d6.

2.) Determine personality, what your most important value is, most valuable person, and how you feel about others.

3.) Decide how you became a warrior: self taught, mentored, battle team, etc.

4.) Decide on Schticks: a special habit or personal affectation that has little or no actual effect, but provides a hook to hang other personality traits on. Okura's Schticks are on the sheet I provided.

5.) Decide on a name.

6.) Spend 40 points between your four Characteristics. A fit, non-augmented human usually has values ranging around 5 to 7. You can work out the Derived Characteristics from there (Defence = 5 x Physical; Hits = 10 x Physical).

7.) Spent 50 points among Skills. You don't need to spend points on each skill.

8.) Create special Fighting Techniques, like Okura's. To do this, you describe the Fighting Technique, determine it's  damage bonus (how many bonus dice you get to roll for damage when you use it), and then it's Skill cost (a penalty equal to the number of bonus dice you gained for damage). So if you make a special move that gives +5 damage dice, the penalty to use it is -5. Finally, name the Technique.

9.) Determine Power Level. To do this, roll 2d6 - the first die roll represents the 100s value, and the second is the 10s value. So a roll of 3 and 4 would give you Power Level 340.

10.) Determine Power Up. This is how quickly you can access the energy represented by your Power Level. To work this value out, you add your Mental and Physical attributes together and times them by 10.

Malkavian

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on April 13, 2021, 10:52:39 PMFirst off if any have concepts they want to pitch for their characters, please first roll for species. 2d6. The results go like this. 2= Saiyan, 3 = Namekian, 4-12 = Human

Worth noting that Namekian can be chosen on a 2-3, if you prefer them to Saiyans. ;D

Hyena, for the purposes of these rolls (and my future rolls for the game), do you have your ID to hand for the dice roller?

Laughing Hyena

Malkavian

Green Goo Theory

What's the starting premise?  To guide my character choice.  And if we're fine with playing the not common choices do you still want us to roll? 
Coming soon...