Help finding a roleplay?

Started by EvilBeast, May 23, 2013, 05:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBeast

(I don't know if this is the right place for this. If not, please move. Thanks)

Feeling fairly stupid with this thread, but I just cannot find a roleplay. The ones I have attempted have failed in one way or another. I want to join a group game, but feel very...inadequate next to everyone else. I'm finding the writing and plots are so involved that I don't feel I can do them justice, or the games seem all freeform and I'm just not good at those in a group (one on one is different).

I've been registered here for quite some time, and I would love to be part of a game. The problem might be me finding a comfort level that seems to be elusive for some reason or another. If someone can help me, give me some guidance, or whatever, I'll be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Beguile's Mistress

You might try looking for a one-on-one with a simple premise posted in a request by someone newer to the forums.  Keeping things less complicated will let you grow the more you write.  You could also pick your favorite genre and start a request thread with a couple pairings or a plot light on details that can develop as you and your partner move along.

In your request your should point out that you'd like to keep things to one paragraph or possibly two short ones because you are trying to gain more experience. 

Not all group games are elaborate.  Some are simply elegant and quite good.  Keep looking at those an you might find something that appeals to you.  You can also check the Non-adult requests thread for Mafia games, Valerian's Vault and Lie, Cheat & Steal, to see what may be starting up over there.

EvilBeast

Thank you for the helpful tips.

What makes me feel stupid is that I run games on another forum. They are complex and very elaborate. But, they are system games, so there is a common framework that myself and the players adhere to. They are also non-adult (no explicit, erotic content allowed). While I am a very good writer in those games, it is the freeform nature of most games here that has me balked. I'll take it slow, as you suggest, and hopefully find my way into a good game or story.

Oniya

I've seen a few system-style group games crop up and get interest.  Pathfinder seems to be rather popular, and I've been kind of sitting in on a discussion about Eclipse Phase in the Off Topic section.  Starting a topic about your favorite system (either as an offer to GM in the Request boards or just as a 'let's talk about ____' in On or Off Topic) might put you in touch with people who don't mind (or who enjoy) writing in that common framework.

You mentioned that the free-form nature of games causes you difficulty.  If you want to expand into the free-form style, it might be helpful to figure out what about it balks you the most - I know that when I play table-top, there's a certain 'determinism' that you don't get in a free-form game ('Oh crap, that was a bad roll...' or 'Score!  Natural 20!'), so it can be a little nail-biting waiting to read the 'reaction posts' when you don't even have that much of a hint.  Then again, when I try out a new recipe at home, I can't roll against my Cooking skill to see if my family will enjoy it.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17