Looking for a Shadowrun 3E GM

Started by CirclMastr, May 30, 2009, 01:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CirclMastr

Just little ol' me, jonesing for some low-fantasy, high-technology, cyberpunk roleplay.  Can anyone hook a chummer up?
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Phaia

that could fun i would love a shadowrun story even a one on one would be fun

phaia

Paladin

I could run Shadowrun at some point but if I did it would be 4th edition. It fixed all the problems I saw in 2nd and 2rd eds. Like using magic taking forever or 2-3 rolls being made just to determin how much damage a person takes after getting hit. 4E is neat and clean.

Phaia

i dont know the system at all just the world concept...elfs and tech has to be fun

Phaia

Chloe Milev

I was just looking at the 4th edition Shadowrun book.  I was thinking it would be fun to be an elf simsense starlet with maxed out charisma (even using Exceptional Attribute to "turn it up to 11").  Seeing how I've never played the game and it sounds like most people see how much stuff they can blow up, she would be interesting to play if she survived.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

CirclMastr

Sometimes I feel like the last person on Earth who prefers 3E. ;_;
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Phaia

honestly I dont cAre what system, perfer freeform ...i just like the world setting

Phaia

Paladin

Quote from: CirclMastr on May 30, 2009, 05:02:50 PM

No your not the last person. Infact I know many friends that love 3E. I myself have problems with it and won't run it anymore. Thats all I'm saying.

Corinthi

Actually, a small independent band that produces BTL chips could be a lot of fun and a neat spin on the Shadowrun vibe. Using 3 or 4E as a base, you'd have a variety of potential characters.

Chloe's Simsense Star, the 'face' of the organization. She's the star.
A good rigger to run drone cameras, simsense recorder, misc techie stuff.
A good shaman because nothing says special effects like a summoned spirit.
A physical type like a Samurai or physical adept to tend to crowd control.
A decker to add the BTL enhancements, advertise, and the like.

You could have different gangs trying to muscle in on the action, Lone Star hunting them, etc.

Chloe Milev

That's a pretty interesting idea, to have a little organization with its own goals and impetus.  And like you said, NPCs will always be sticking their noses in our business to shake things up.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Corinthi

What I like about the concept is that it gives plenty of impetus for adventure in the Shadowrun world, but of a different sort.

The group would always be trying to get into unusual situations for their BTL stories. Of course, there could be the normal sex tapes, but things like crashing a high society party to make mischief. Breaking into places you aren't supposed to be, just to say you could. Perhaps in addition to being unnaturally hot, our star could be an amazing athlete. Trips into the wild to see paranormal critters. Having a spiritual encounter in a powerful shaman's sweat lodge.

Then, there are rival groups making BTL who're jealous about our success. Our recorder rig could break down and we can't repair it so need to steal a new one, many from a store, maybe from a rival. Perhaps our group is beholden to a powerful crime organization. We make the chips, they distribute, with all the drama that entails. What happens when we get caught in the middle of their gang war?

I don't know that the game would need to be a full blown system game with dice rolls for different tasks, especially if the group as a whole doesn't have a strong combat focus. For example, if we had one badass samurai, they could probably take out two or three hostiles without too much problem. A van full of cyber gangers out for blood with heavy hardware? Retreat might be a better option.

Basically, keep the focus more street level and have fun narrating the tale without getting bogged down in too many dice. Maybe rough character sheets to establish a character's strength and weaknesses.

Chloe Milev

I'm liking this idea, having a competent group for our own "artistic" mission, rather than getting random spy/combat jobs from strangers.  And doing it freeform means we don't have to worry about the difference between editions.  I've made up a 4th edition character, but that could just be for my own reference to see what a starting character is capable of.  Made an elf technomancer with maxed out Charisma, Disguise (to get into different characters), Perception (gotta have good senses since I'm recording them for everyone else) and Influence skill group (for seduction and business negotiations, or both at once).  She doesn't have many technomancy skills, but at least can always have full immersion access to her business.  She has a little bit of gymnastics, but since I would want my movies to be as exciting as possible, some high ranking gymnastics might be valuable to add...

Yup, a little less logic and intuition, but she's a ninja-gymnist now.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Corinthi

Not to step out of line or make unwelcome suggestions, Chloe, but if you wanted to drop the business angle entirely, you could be an incredibly beautiful, seductive, adrenaline junkie actress and let someone else be the one who's always worrying about the business end of things. How much the props for different scenes cost and the whatnot.

Maybe your character is the slumming, rebellious daughter of 'Someone Important', giving yet more hooks for a GM to hang plots off of.

Chloe Milev

Well, we'll have to see if anyone wants to run this sucker I guess.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Hunter

Quote from: CirclMastr on May 30, 2009, 05:02:50 PM

2nd last.  I have a serious dislike for 4th.

CirclMastr

Quote from: Hunter on June 02, 2009, 07:15:50 PM
2nd last.  I have a serious dislike for 4th.
Great, can you run something for me?  This thread got hijacked by 4th edition.

Hunter

Quote from: CirclMastr on June 02, 2009, 08:21:49 PM
Great, can you run something for me?  This thread got hijacked by 4th edition.

Not without materials, I can't.

Paladin

I'd run 3rd edition if I knew it as well as I do 4th but sadly I do not So I cannot be the one to run. Circ and hunter, I really don't know why you guys dislike 4th ed so much. Everyone of my friends that were hardcore 3rd ed players that I have introduced to 4th ed have said its a cleaner more streamlined system as far as rules go. Please tell me what turns you guys off to 4th ed.

Hunter

Quote from: Paladin on June 03, 2009, 03:41:17 PM
I'd run 3rd edition if I knew it as well as I do 4th but sadly I do not So I cannot be the one to run. Circ and hunter, I really don't know why you guys dislike 4th ed so much. Everyone of my friends that were hardcore 3rd ed players that I have introduced to 4th ed have said its a cleaner more streamlined system as far as rules go. Please tell me what turns you guys off to 4th ed.

Simply put, it uses that horrid karma character generation system that I've hated since it showed up on Dumpshock forums back in the 2nd edition days.  And it also does a wonderful job of screwing over anyone who likes bioware (like me).  Plus the mechanics, it's too white wolfish....

Paladin

Quote from: Hunter on June 04, 2009, 12:50:46 AM
Simply put, it uses that horrid karma character generation system that I've hated since it showed up on Dumpshock forums back in the 2nd edition days.  And it also does a wonderful job of screwing over anyone who likes bioware (like me).  Plus the mechanics, it's too white wolfish....

Thats because the creators of 4th ed broke off from white wolf. The Karma generation I feel is more balanced. It also lets players make characters down to the nth detail how they like.