Russian Secret School for Love Spies - Pulpy Cold War setting

Started by RedEve, September 06, 2015, 04:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

RedEve

Quote from: Dashenka on September 16, 2015, 02:45:21 AM
Is Bianka a redhead or not? I hate being colourblind :(

Looks like auburn to me, but the red background might be playing tricks on me.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Dashenka

Blinkin

There's a reddhead?? Damn it, I hate being blind. ;)

I'm reading a book, and have to ask... has anyone ever seen a red-headed native American? It's the second such character that has passed through my reading world in the past 6 months. My brother-in-law is 3/4th Cherrokee and has never seen one... It would be an interesting combination, but... where do you find red-headed indians.

Ok, back on topic.. sorta... Would the school teach in russian, or be a sort of full emersion English school... IE, "Speak English! you are suppose to be english, not russians!
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

RedEve

Quote from: Blinkin on September 16, 2015, 04:26:17 AM
Ok, back on topic.. sorta... Would the school teach in russian, or be a sort of full emersion English school... IE, "Speak English! you are suppose to be english, not russians!

A combination of the two.
There would be moments they are required to speak English/French/German/...
Other times they would communicate in Russian.

Dashenka

Just one thing... if you want to type something in Russian, please don't use Google. They're not very good in translating to Russian :D

RedEve

Quote from: Dashenka on September 16, 2015, 05:15:15 AM
Just one thing... if you want to type something in Russian, please don't use Google. They're not very good in translating to Russian :D

I think I would just imply they are speaking Russian depending on the context. :P

Dashenka

haha yeah of course btu I meant if you wanted to translate something into real Russian, don't use Google :D

Chrystal

But what else do those of us who don't speak Russian use?

Simple technique with Google for making sure your translations are at least passable: Put the translation back through the other way. If you gat back what you started with it's a reasonable bet that it's correct. If you get back sometyhing different, you can be pretty sure it id wrong!

Oh and Google Translate fucks up ideomatic French, too!

May I make a suggestion?

Obviously the bulk of conversation is going to be in Russian, so that is the default language: we assume speaking in Russian unless told otherwise. To indicate another language, our ilustrious GM pics one of the following:

Colour coding - Red for English, Bold black for German, Green for Italian, Blue for French. Or whatever colour

Acronym tags. Use an acronym around the speech, with the language it is said in, like this:
[acronym=Arabic]"This is how you would talk in Riyadh"[/acronym]
"This is how you would talk in Riyadh"

Prose identification: the simplest and easiest, just state in your post what language the character is talking in: "We meet at last, Mr Bond", Tityana said in heavily accented English, with a soft ironic chuckle.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Dashenka

Also RedEve, you might have to change the size of the picture for my character. My background is a bit too short for the pic and I'm the only one who has a picture that's longer than it's width :)

Blinkin

So, we meet for the first time for the last time for the first time...

I can only speak for me, but the formatting is going to go right over my head; the screen reader won't tell me that it's there.

So, I'll just stick to the tried and true method of professional writers throughout recent history... "He said in a thick russian accent..." It's a solid indication of intent and I can see it. ;)

And, yes this post is actually meant to be as non-serious as possible.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Dashenka on September 16, 2015, 02:45:21 AM
Is Bianka a redhead or not? I hate being colourblind :(

Not. The model is more of a a brunette but like RedEve said the background seems to make it look redder.

So redhead away!

Quote from: Dashenka on September 16, 2015, 05:15:15 AM

Hee hee... maybe I'll use it anyway since Bianka isn't a native Russian speaker.  ;)

Chrystal

Quote from: Blinkin on September 16, 2015, 05:37:06 PM
So, we meet for the first time for the last time for the first time...

I can only speak for me, but the formatting is going to go right over my head; the screen reader won't tell me that it's there.

So, I'll just stick to the tried and true method of professional writers throughout recent history... "He said in a thick russian accent..." It's a solid indication of intent and I can see it. ;)

And, yes this post is actually meant to be as non-serious as possible.

Actually, you're right and I had (as usual) totally forgotten that your text reader can't see colours. So yeah, let's stick with actually typing out which language the character is talking in. Russian being the default, so we don't need to specify they are speaking in Russian.

Foxy, perhaps Bianka should talk mit ein German accent, vot do you zink?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

wigglebiscuit

I'll submit my app this afternoon.

German accents have their appeal...

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: Chrystal on September 17, 2015, 03:41:52 AM
Foxy, perhaps Bianka should talk mit ein German accent, vot do you zink?

Sure! And I'll use all the German I learned from comic books and Hogan's Heroes.

"Gott im himmel!"

Blinkin

So, in short, your response to everything will be, "I know nuzink, nuzink!"
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Myrra

Wow this game sure looks interesting. Say, is there still some room for one more student ?

RedEve

Quote from: AlinaLionheart on September 17, 2015, 12:08:07 PM
Wow this game sure looks interesting. Say, is there still some room for one more student ?

Sure, send me a CS!

Chrystal

*giggles*

I wonder if all this talk of spies and KGB and GRU and Stasi has flagged us up on the NSA's or GCHQ's monitoring programs?

Then again they probably have this site marked as one to keep an eye on but generally disregard, as there's a lot of stuff about kidnappings and terrorist attacks and stuff and it's all fiction!

Can't help but remember the kid from Oklahoma who was arrested by the FBI for writing a story about a zombie attack on his school though... *winks*

RedEve

Still waiting for some more characters to join up.  :-)

Dashenka

Speaking of German accents...

"Gott im Himmel! Wolfgang, ve haff accidentally named ze car after ein Fraugarten!"

Those are the words of the ever wise Jeremy Clarkson after finding out that a Swiss company has built a car, resembling the classic Jaguar E-type and naming it the 'Growler'.

Chrystal

Ever wise until he managed to get himself fired by the BBC!

*chuckles*

Dashenka

His contract didn't get renewed. That's different :P

And in a way, he got better of as he is now, on a 250 million dollar contract with Amazon :D

RedEve

Could everyone who has expressed interest and not yet submitted a CS do so?

I think I will try to start this game properly over the weekend.

RedEve

I have added links to the OOC thread and character thread in the opening post of this thread.

If you have an approved character, please move their CS into the character thread.

I hope to start the IC game sometime this weekend.

I am still accepting new CS.