Pathfinder: Pirates & Mercenaries [Closed]

Started by Silver Phoenix, October 14, 2016, 08:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Phoenix

My O/Os: Elliquiy, F-List

Current Game Capacity: 11/11; Full

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TFcommando

Still room?  I've had a notion for a sorceress, blasty, fire elemental bloodline, a former noblewoman who has embraced the passions of her fiery side, or isn't bothering to hide them... Passions for the flesh and of using her powers freely.  Possibly a fully brazen nudist, maybe a BBW body type.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

ChaoticSky

I'm kinda curious about the kingdom we came from; what the region and culture was like, what sort of societal tropes were in effect, and so on. Did we aspire to peace? was knowledge valued? Did they revel in the streets? What sort of religions held sway? Were we vibrant or held by the weight of ages?

Or are we free to invent this sort of stuff for ourselves?

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: TFcommando on October 15, 2016, 04:39:44 PMStill room?  I've had a notion for a sorceress, blasty, fire elemental bloodline, a former noblewoman who has embraced the passions of her fiery side, or isn't bothering to hide them... Passions for the flesh and of using her powers freely.  Possibly a fully brazen nudist, maybe a BBW body type.
Feel free to pitch TF, as most of it is still concept work at this point.  I wouldn't recommend actually building the character unless yours get approved first, as I don't want to waste anybody's time.

Quote from: ChaoticSky on October 15, 2016, 04:40:39 PMI'm kinda curious about the kingdom we came from; what the region and culture was like, what sort of societal tropes were in effect, and so on. Did we aspire to peace? was knowledge valued? Did they revel in the streets? What sort of religions held sway? Were we vibrant or held by the weight of ages?

Or are we free to invent this sort of stuff for ourselves?
I think a certain amount of player creative freedom is okay.

My personal thoughts tend to run:

• Medieval-style kingdom, allowing for magic and that sort.
  • Was generally peaceful, at least internally, until succession became an issue.  Your characters are on the side of the generally acknowledged rightful monarch, whereas the usurper could have been the rightful monarch, if his claims could be verified.  Since the usurper didn't have a lot of support internally, he made deals with a lot of external enemies of the kingdom for the war.
  • The Kingdom had a sterling reputation (and good PR), but you could find the cracks if you knew where to look.
  • Religions holding sway being the typical Good and Neutral deities, with cults of the Evil ones here and there.
  • I'd saw most of the citizenry were proud of their kingdom and held themselves above others.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Name: Andrus (and if there’s more than that, he’s not telling anyone)
Race: Human
Class: Shadowmancer.  ‘Illusionist’ to those that don’t understand.

For those that see Andrus (when he’s not buried in his robes), he’s a moderately handsome man in his late 20s, who has the look of nobility about him.  He’s definitely the product of good breeding, and has the way about him that often makes it seem like he’s looking down his nose at people.  He’s pale of skin, suggesting spending too much time indoors, and his long hair is platinum blonde, almost silver.  Perhaps a touch of elven blood in his veins?  His eyes, however, are such a dark brown to be almost black, which contrast even more to his complexion.    Average height, a lithe build that suggests very little physical activity.  Of course, one can’t see most of that because of his penchant for heavy, dark robes, often with the cowl drawn up to hide most of his face.

For those that dared to ask, Andrus was no, still is nobility, and enjoys throwing that weight around when he can.  A learned man, a gifted student, and with the wealth and privilege that came from his station, all enabling him to not only study the arcane arts, but to reach for some of the more esoteric branches at the same time; namely the study of literally the dark arts – shadowcrafting.  Illusion to most, his passion seemed to come from drawing substance from nothing, of molding shadow to his very will in ways that most would find not only foolish, but simply frivolous.  Those short-sighted fools were not worth Andrus’s time or effort, dismissed with little but a thought.

When the war came, Andrus thought to accomplish two goals at once.  He would show all of those fools the strength of his magic, also allowing him to be even more respected and important in the royal court.  Of course, that’s not how things went, as everyone knows, and he was sent running with the rest of the fleet.  Now he finds himself in this new world, a scholar and important person amongst a sea peasants, barbarians and uncouths.  But he will persevere, succeed, and most certainly demonstrate that brains rules out over brawns, and divine right is still a thing.

Mister Ugly

The unofficial, possible, maybe alternate history for Nathan --read at own risk

Many years ago a big aged ranger came into a small sea side town and plopped down a bag of gold and bought a run down bar. Tossing about more gold with markings never seen before he made the bar into a passable place. Of course he had to hit hard those that took advantage of him. What made the bar famous though was that Minsc claimed his rodent companion was a miniature space hamster named Boo.
Minsc fathered several children and passed on to them many strange ideas. It has become something of a tradition in Nathan's family when one has an animal companion to name it Boo in honor of the life long companion of Minsc....
Han has carried on the tradition and even though he could not find a miniature space hamster he has what he claims is a fierce killer Blue Star Falcon named ...'Boo!'

So if this is allowed I do plan on having Han shout...."GO FOR THE EYES, BOO, GO FOR THE EYES!!"

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

ChaoticSky

Ugh, that feeling when you write up a huge bio and then notice theres a 3 paragraph limit.

Silver Phoenix

There'll be time enough to write it up if you qualify ;D

For now, just see it as setting out the framework and the important points.

tyr4n02r

I've tried to gloss over this post, but it keeps bringing me back... Throwing my name in the hat.

"Prince" Zephyr Erki̇n the Blind Monkey
Half-Elf Oracle/Snake-bite Striker Brawler
CN Heterosexual Male (although it is not uncommon for him to do gay-ish things if he knows it will annoy somebody)

Backstory: Born of a noble in the pirate-run city of Sharazad, "Prince" Zephyr Erki̇n was born to into a mercantile family tradition. His father was an explorer and appraiser, his mother a former dancer. Being the youngest of 3 children, he was the most carefree, forsaking his studies to learn many an art, both fine and arcane from his mother. As was tradition in his household, starting at age 10 he was forced to learn a fighting style, preparing for various invasions and plundering. He chose a dervish style, incorporating the disciplines of the monks that taught him his books and the free-flow movements of his mother. Unfortunately he lost a significant portion of his sight during one such encounter, as the rather lawless city somehow was viewed as viable during the attack on King Arlan's empire.
However, with his newfound blindness and injury came a power to 'see' nature and magic with a new comprehension. His lack of sight gave him access to a divine presence, of which he used his studies to control and attune. This sparked a thirst for knowledge within him, wanting to find out more about this mystical force that sewed the planes both together and apart. Less of the family's responsibility was placed on his since then, and just as well, he wasn't one for doing too much work... At age 19, while he was supposed to hop onto a fishing vessel to aid with the shipping, he (literally) stumbled onto the wrong ship, a pirate vessel. As the pirates found him aboard, a few attempted to attack him. He beat the small lot, jesting and prodding as he deftly dodged their attacks. He was allowed to stay on the ship, and he worked (to a degree, he's kinda lazy) and kept in good spirits. He decided not to return home and has since been traveling the world on various vessels, searching for more arcane lore and trinkets of power.

Personality: A tad lazy and a lot aloof, Zephyr is rather optimistic and wisecracking, living each day as if it is his last, with an attempt to keep everyone in his presence in a good mood as well. He is placed on odd jobs often, helping with navigation, or invisegating spirits and curses. He would mainly be on call in the kitchen to serve and heal or as a runner delivering things around the ship, which can lead to interesting results as he is partially blind. In combat, it is not uncommon for him to play a front role, although he may use non-lethal attacks in addition. He carries some belongings from his past, and while he wouldn't admit it, he is a little homesick but enjoys the freedom. Not one with too many motives except to troll and to screw, this fun-loving half-elf seeks thrills throwing caution out of the window.

About Me?: What I hope to gain from this adventure is a fun diverse pbp tabletop experience. Nobody really plays around my way, and I have been trying to get into pathfinder for a while as I like the modular nature. I have 5E and AGE experience, so I know the basics. I will come up with a pic once I find one I like, then describe it.

Weapons
Long Sword
Twin Scimitars
Fighting Fan
I apparently insulted Dicebot's mother, and it still remembers... you've been warned...
Mainly missing on Tuesdays, sorry.
Intro!  My Ons and Offs

Blinkin

I would just say to those who like fire type of stuff... wooden ships burn and there aren't usually too many places to run to when all you see is water, sharks and things that like to eat you.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: Blinkin on October 17, 2016, 04:56:09 AMI would just say to those who like fire type of stuff... wooden ships burn and there aren't usually too many places to run to when all you see is water, sharks and things that like to eat you.
Certainly something to note, but nothing to overly worry about - unless it is a very deliberate and concentrated effort to set the ship on fire, there are enough magical contingencies to safeguard against minor fires turning into major ones - the ships are about as safe from fires as a modern-day ship would be.

TheGlyphstone

Indeed. A wooden ship hull by itself isn't terribly flammable; the constant exposure to seawater helps there, it's perpetually a bit damp and doesn't burn good at all. What makes accidental fire such a terrifyingly lethal disaster aboard wood-hulled sailing ships is all the peripherals; the spare canvases, ropes, oil lanterns, and (with guns around) ammunition and powder. That catching alight and spreading can be enough to catch the hull, and then you're doomed.

Yeah, I read a lot of period naval fiction...

Snake

Name: Syra
Description: Standing a lithe 5'11"; Syra has a quite lovely face and alluring figure with long raven-black hair with Purplish-blue eyes and fair complexion.  She seems perpetually on the cusp of being terribly bored unless something really arouses her interest.  Her figure is that of a mix of an acrobat and an athlete; without an once of unncessary fat anywhere on her body except for her sometimes troublesome D cup breasts. Despite this: Syra conceals her appearance with the use of flowing black robes covering her blackened chain shirt that's fitted for minimal sound. In terms of weapons; this girl is strapped with daggers in every conceivable easy-to-reach location on her body. (Kinda like Merisiel actually. XD)

Personality: Apathetic. Syra is a born thief, and as a result she doesnt allow how she feels to bubble to the surface; believing that everyon ehas a tell and nobody will see hers.  She seems easy-going and lackdastical about most things; except when the possibility of thievery becomes involved; during which she becomes as focused as a laser. Toward others; Syra doesn't care. If given a choice between loot and friends; teh loot wins every. Single. Time. The only exception is if her older sister or father is involved. Given Syra's standing as Asura-Bred Tiefling; she likes to take what she believes other value or find some way to hurt them emotionally; and would never stop picking at those wounds.

Background: Syra is the second daughter of a powerful crimelord and grew up around scoundrels and ne'er-do-wells; and became very familar with the way the underworld operated.  Ordinarily such a child would grow up wanting for nothing; except her father, regardless of his great love for his children, made her and her sister earn their livings from a young age. The only protection he extended was keeping them from lengthy prison sentences by leaning on the authorities or calling in favors, etc. 

She learned early on that gold, not love, not religious belief; powered the world.  As she grew she eventually found herself traipsing from major port to major port; stealing where she could, leveraging what she couldn't steal directly and in general enjoying her intense focus as a thief.  She'd only been caught up in the damn storm in an attempt to escape the authorities and didn't know what kind of ship she'd gotten onto. Bad choice as it turned out.

Syra's Primary role is a debuffer and harasser as her class mix is 3 levels of unchained rogue and 3 of witch. As such allows her to be an evil bitch and still be useful to an adventuring party.

Her Sexual Orientation: She doesn't have one. If fucking someone or getting fucked herself leads her to greater wealth; then she's all for it- otherwise someone is likely to end up with a dagger in the groin. Being a functional Hermaphrodite, Syra can use a modified alter self supernatural ability to become fully female or her natural form with an unlimited duration (She can only use either form with this ability)

Silver Phoenix

Oho, a newcomer.  Welcome, Snake, and thank you for your interest in the game!

Snake

It caught my eye. I've been watching alot of APgamingreal's Skull and Shackles game ;3

I've played some kingmaker but no giantslayer (can't find downloads for it)

ChaoticSky

I'm still working on mine. Still looking for a good piccy. x_x

Silver Phoenix

Quote from: ChaoticSky on October 18, 2016, 01:27:48 PM
Ain't it always the way? lol

Snake

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: ChaoticSky on October 18, 2016, 01:27:48 PM

I have yet to find a picture for mine, namely because of how specific the character's appearance is.

TheGlyphstone

There's just no good artwork of otherwise-human males with scaled skin. The iconic vishkanya are female, and anything else related to snake/serpentine humanoids tend to go full snakehead - that's be a nagaraji, entirely different.

Snake

Yeah Glyph, that can be a bitch to find. I've tried without much success as well.

ChaoticSky

Try looking for stuff with a dragon theme. If that fails look for art of Au' Ra from FFXIV, they are a player race of humans with horns+some scales and small tails. There is lots of art of male Au Ra.

Example

Grizzly

What are you looking for at this point for character submissions?  I have a couple ideas that I'd like to propose but I'm not sure how much detail to provide at this point.
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ChaoticSky on October 18, 2016, 01:59:00 PM
Try looking for stuff with a dragon theme. If that fails look for art of Au' Ra from FFXIV, they are a player race of humans with horns+some scales and small tails. There is lots of art of male Au Ra.

Example

If they didn't have those horns, they'd be decent. But ram's horns don't fit at all on a serpentine humanoid.