The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

They changed it to two GL's per sector quite a while ago now, add in The Honour Guard and The Corpse (GL black ops) there's lots of GLs. The problem with GLC is that it has to act as a sort of origin movie but without getting bogged down in training sequences. So it's hard to imagine that the movie won't feature the Corps drill sergeant Kilowog at some point and any number of others but I doubt the likes Sodom Yat would make an appearance as trying to explain away a planet full of 'Kryptonians' isn't going to be easy (If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...). As for the villains, it needs to be a big enough threat that it needs to involve a big chunk of the Corps, so the Manhunters would work or the Red Lanterns or even The Reach.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 28, 2016, 11:29:24 PM
From what I remember, originally wasn't is supposed to be one Green Lanetern per sector they were assigned? Hal Jordan was the first human. Though it could be possible that other humans after him were picked and assigned to other sectors or to protect the Green Lanterns main base of operation.

They did briefly show Hal Jordan in the Once and Future Thing episode when John Stewart was briefly replaced. Kyle Rainer was shown in the episode where Amazo shifted Ooa to another dimension on his way back to Earth to get Luthor. Though they briefly had a Green Lantern animated show on Cartoon Network before it was cancelled. The only problem with the Black Lanterns is that it would leave out a whole host of characters who became one, like Aquaman, etc. Blackest Night brought in the other Lantern Corps. Supergirl was a Red Lantern. Not much details are being released about it. Same with the Shazam movie.

That's the one I was talking about, where John Stewart was on Earth and Kyle Rayner was still on duty but stationed on Oa, so two human Green Lanterns were active at the same time. Green Lantern would probably be the hardest one to stuff a decent story into the span of a single movie without dipping into territory they've already used.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

There's talk that Justice League movies will have a Green Lantern. And, today, Ben Affleck twitted a pic of the "villain" in Justice League who happens to be sporting the familiar dark blue and orange helmet (like the one from Arrow Season 2). So, apparently they might have Deathstroke make an appearance. They had teased using him in Suicide Squad and there was talk Joe Magniello (sp?) was to play him, but then events happened and they didn't use the character in Suicide Squad.

It looks like the Green Lantern Corps will be the hardest to do. Not to mention the human characters, but the alien characters who are a part of the Green Lantern Corp. They tried that with the Ryan Reynolds movie, didn't do so well. Though, Mark Strong was perfect as Sinestro and he should reprise the role. Is it going to be an origin movie for both the human Green Lantern and the Corps? Introducing the other Corps would overload the movie especially with little set up on the background. The other Corps didn't really come in till the culmination of Blackest Night as they needed all the "light" to fight the darkness.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 29, 2016, 08:22:57 PM
There's talk that Justice League movies will have a Green Lantern. And, today, Ben Affleck twitted a pic of the "villain" in Justice League who happens to be sporting the familiar dark blue and orange helmet (like the one from Arrow Season 2). So, apparently they might have Deathstroke make an appearance. They had teased using him in Suicide Squad and there was talk Joe Magniello (sp?) was to play him, but then events happened and they didn't use the character in Suicide Squad.

It looks like the Green Lantern Corps will be the hardest to do. Not to mention the human characters, but the alien characters who are a part of the Green Lantern Corp. They tried that with the Ryan Reynolds movie, didn't do so well. Though, Mark Strong was perfect as Sinestro and he should reprise the role. Is it going to be an origin movie for both the human Green Lantern and the Corps? Introducing the other Corps would overload the movie especially with little set up on the background. The other Corps didn't really come in till the culmination of Blackest Night as they needed all the "light" to fight the darkness.

Well if they go about it the right way this time and set things up better than a bunch of disjointed clips or pictures of the various characters, they won't have to do a strictly origin-style movie for GLC. They can have it in media res and not waste time on that as much.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Just want to take a moment to post this pic of Cumberbatch in his Doctor Strange costume visiting a comic store lol.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 30, 2016, 03:45:12 PM
Just want to take a moment to post this pic of Cumberbatch in his Doctor Strange costume visiting a comic store lol.

I remember reading something a few months ago that said he went into a comic shop, in costume, to buy a Doctor Strange comic. I didn't know there were pics!

mia h

Apparently this show is in no way ripping off Arrow, not even a little bit.

https://youtu.be/Jl8qEq2Wg2o

Mathim

It looks like Jon Favreau/Happy Hogan is going to be tagging along for the ride with Tony Stark as he's set to appear in the new Spider-Man solo film. Honestly, it was bad enough having him be any significant part of IM2 and IM3, now we have to deal with him again in a non-Iron Man centered movie?

SapphireStar

Spider-Man seems to be adding way too many people to the cast. Shouldn't the focus be on Spider-Man?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 04, 2016, 04:25:13 AM
Spider-Man seems to be adding way too many people to the cast. Shouldn't the focus be on Spider-Man?

If that's the only problem, we should be grateful. That was the biggest problem with Age of Ultron and it was still decent.

SapphireStar

Looks like Marvel is developing another project for television? Apparently, New Warriors featuring Squirrel Girl is being greenlit.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 06, 2016, 08:51:29 PM
Looks like Marvel is developing another project for television? Apparently, New Warriors featuring Squirrel Girl is being greenlit.

Now, see, I'd kinda rather have that than Cloak and Dagger. Especially if it stays within MCU continuity.

SapphireStar

Apparently, Anna Kendrick expressed interest in playing Squirrel Girl, and the people who work with the MCU gave the thumbs up on it. Interestingly, Cloak and Dagger have worked with the New Warriors a few times.

Lustful Bride

Im curious as to how they will pull off Squirrel Girl.

I like her in the new comics and how self aware it is (not reaching Deadpool levels but close) but I don't know if itd work on TV.

SapphireStar

Apparently, she has pretty much the same level of powers like Jessica Jones, as well as being able to communicate with squirrels. In the comics, she was the nanny to Danielle, Jessica and Luke Cage's baby. It is possible to pull off her on tv. They were able to do Firestorm, Flash and the other Speedsters, etc.

Lustful Bride

And I remember in one panel she and Wolverine had an awkward moment hinting the two had a really rocky relationship. To the level both of them were uncomfortable being in the same room.

Though I like the newer issues of SG.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

She is just too adorable *picks her up and runs off with her* ^3^

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 06, 2016, 10:35:11 PM
Apparently, Anna Kendrick expressed interest in playing Squirrel Girl, and the people who work with the MCU gave the thumbs up on it. Interestingly, Cloak and Dagger have worked with the New Warriors a few times.

If they just integrated Cloak and Dagger into that (since it sounds like it is going to resemble the Web Warriors team on Ultimate Spider-Man) then it could work out great and not have to be multiple different shows. With Agents of SHIELD presumably coming to an end, and Agent Carter already cancelled, this would be a perfect new addition, with non-Inhuman superhumans (young ones, from what I can tell) coming together to form a new Avengers-style team what with the splintering of the group after CW. They're making Spider-Man young so why not let these characters get their start at an early age, if it's TV and not the movies?

And I'm so down with Kendrick playing the part, she'd be hilarious. She was great in Rapture-Palooza, a much funnier comedy than either Pitch Perfect movie, and she gets in an argument with both god and the devil, so she can totally pull of Deadpool-style moments.

mia h

They've announced that Deathstroke will be the main villain in the Batfleck movie and he'll be played by this guy

who bears more than just a passing resemblance to this guy

SapphireStar

Before Suicide Squad came out, they were mentioning Deathstroke being apart of the movie played by Joe Maginello (sp?) but do him being hospitalized they pulled the character from the plot.

Mathim

Wasn't that the guy who played him in Arrow, or am I nuts?

And apparently James Gunn has released a few 'spoilers' for Guardians of the Galaxy. One of them is already out there, that Thanos isn't going to be in it AT ALL which I'm cool with, though apart from the end of Thor: Ragnarok, I'm not sure where else the best place to show him again would be before Infinity War. That and, apparently little baby Groot isn't going to be the same Groot, just smaller; he's going to be a completely new Groot, with no memories shared by the previous Groot. What bothers me about this is, how is Rocket now going to understand what's being said since they won't share the same rapport they used to? I think it's a bad idea. I mean, keep him tiny even if it makes no sense, and maybe have him come in at the end and kick some ass to save everybody, but keeping him small AND being an entirely new being that doesn't remember these freaks being his friends that he sacrificed himself for? Come on.

SapphireStar

Manu Bennett played Slade Wilson on Arrow. He was also on the Spartacus series. Some have mentioned that the two actors have similar features. Apparently, Deathstroke will be the villain in the Batman movie directed by Ben Affleck which is also being co-written by him.

James Gunn stated that Groot would be having a more expansive vocabulary.

CaptainNexus616

So will his vocabulary include several new pronouns such as,

"She is Groot"

"He is Groot"

::)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

greenknight

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 09, 2016, 10:08:41 PM
Manu Bennett played Slade Wilson on Arrow. He was also on the Spartacus series.
And played multiple named orcs in the various LotR movies.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 09, 2016, 10:08:41 PM
Manu Bennett played Slade Wilson on Arrow. He was also on the Spartacus series. Some have mentioned that the two actors have similar features. Apparently, Deathstroke will be the villain in the Batman movie directed by Ben Affleck which is also being co-written by him.

James Gunn stated that Groot would be having a more expansive vocabulary.

He does have similar features, after I saw Manganiello on PeeWee's Big Holiday, I was like, "Wow, he was on True Blood AND Arrow? Neat."

SapphireStar

Joe Manganiello also played Flash Thompson in the first Spider-Man movie directed by Sam Raimi.