What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Nilsson

honestly, I think the media actually has a lot to do with it.

For instance, when Trump said "look what happened in Sweden" All eyes where on Sweden so when a riot happened, and it wasn't all that big all the newspapers in the world made headlines about it. Because it sells. But when there is a major fight in Sweden because the wrong team won in hockey.. not a peep in the international press. When everyone was talking about how bad Malmö was being the city in Sweden with the most immigrants everything was in the international news. Sure we had troubles but as someone who lived for many many many years in that city.. honestly most of it was blown way out of proportion to sell newspapers. I saw articles about how swedish women are afraid, I never felt afraid more than any woman would feel afraid in a city. Hell I felt safer there than I do now in the city I live in in New Jersey. And for two years I lived next to an illegal brothel in Sweden.

Not saying there isn't a problem, but honestly the media likes to grab a theme and run with it. And soon it stops being shocking news and they run with the next. It is so focused on a few things that it all seems like it is so much because they report about if from all over the world at once.

DelightfullyMAD

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on August 18, 2017, 02:06:50 PM
honestly, I think the media actually has a lot to do with it.

For instance, when Trump said "look what happened in Sweden" All eyes where on Sweden so when a riot happened, and it wasn't all that big all the newspapers in the world made headlines about it. Because it sells. But when there is a major fight in Sweden because the wrong team won in hockey.. not a peep in the international press. When everyone was talking about how bad Malmö was being the city in Sweden with the most immigrants everything was in the international news. Sure we had troubles but as someone who lived for many many many years in that city.. honestly most of it was blown way out of proportion to sell newspapers. I saw articles about how swedish women are afraid, I never felt afraid more than any woman would feel afraid in a city. Hell I felt safer there than I do now in the city I live in in New Jersey. And for two years I lived next to an illegal brothel in Sweden.

Not saying there isn't a problem, but honestly the media likes to grab a theme and run with it. And soon it stops being shocking news and they run with the next. It is so focused on a few things that it all seems like it is so much because they report about if from all over the world at once.

Yeah, the media really is rotten in this country.  That is one thing I will agree with Trump on (a broken clock is still right two times a day, after all), and something does need to be done.  When the broadcasting of news and events becomes more about sensationalism and ratings, to the point where the media will even outright fabricate or grossly exaggerate some stories, while flat out omitting others, then that is a major problem.  That is a lot of power, and people don't handle power all that well.  Frankly, it really is pretty scary to think about just how much sway media has, especially in this day and age.

As for living in New Jersey, my condolences ;)
Number of RPs I am currently doing: 0 out of 5

Curious to know about me?  Here's my introduction thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=266266.msg13136350#new

My schedule occasionally gets kind of hectic, so if I suddenly disappear for a period of time, not to worry, I am likely just working like a dog.  I will be back.

Sara Nilsson

I wouldn't go so far as agree with Trump on the media since he claims the media outright lies about him. It doesn't lie, it just focuses on one thing very heavily.

DelightfullyMAD

He certainly exaggerates, mostly out of his personal feud with them, but there are definitely times where the media engages in disinformation.  And focusing intently on parts of a story while ignoring or downplaying other parts is definitely something that the media does.  Of course, this sort of thing is hardly new, but now a days it seems to be more blatant.  It's getting harder and harder to trust just about anyone anymore.

Curious to know about me?  Here's my introduction thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=266266.msg13136350#new

My schedule occasionally gets kind of hectic, so if I suddenly disappear for a period of time, not to worry, I am likely just working like a dog.  I will be back.

Oniya

Quote from: DelightfullyMAD on August 18, 2017, 02:42:45 PM
He certainly exaggerates, mostly out of his personal feud with them, but there are definitely times where the media engages in disinformation.  And focusing intently on parts of a story while ignoring or downplaying other parts is definitely something that the media does.  Of course, this sort of thing is hardly new, but now a days it seems to be more blatant.  It's getting harder and harder to trust just about anyone anymore.

I looked for the original, but all I could find was a lip-sync done as part of a competition - but I doubt the original could have been more topical

Words of wisdom from Don Henley
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: DelightfullyMAD on August 18, 2017, 02:42:45 PM

ive started reading foreign media, like BBC, for that reason. they have agendas of their own, but since they arent beholden to american interests and readers, their slant is a lot more shallow. the downside is that since its not directly relevant to their readers, the coverage is similarly more shallow.

DelightfullyMAD

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 18, 2017, 05:21:38 PM
ive started reading foreign media, like BBC, for that reason. they have agendas of their own, but since they arent beholden to american interests and readers, their slant is a lot more shallow. the downside is that since its not directly relevant to their readers, the coverage is similarly more shallow.

That does present a major problem with media in general.  Just how much are we actually getting?  How much are we not?  Sure, it's possible for people to try and research things themselves, but let's face it, how many people can be bothered to do that?  Hell, it's common knowledge that most people usually only read the headlines of an article and actually skip reading the article itself, even if the article goes on to actually dismiss the very thing the headline seemed to promote, or vice versa.  We are locked in this cage of information, and human brains are just not good at trying to filter through it all.

That, among many other things, makes it really hard to take a lot of what one hears completely seriously.  The mainstream media in our country is very shady in a number of ways, so you have to be wary of them.  Foreign media may be more objective when it comes to reporting on America, but like you said, it's also going to be more shallow and distant.  And independent journalists run the gamut, and are often just as biased as the mainstream, and there's a ton of them, so you end up getting bombarded by an endless stream of information from so many angles, and the majority of it is probably crap.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: DelightfullyMAD on August 18, 2017, 05:43:04 PM
That does present a major problem with media in general.  Just how much are we actually getting?  How much are we not?  Sure, it's possible for people to try and research things themselves, but let's face it, how many people can be bothered to do that?  Hell, it's common knowledge that most people usually only read the headlines of an article and actually skip reading the article itself, even if the article goes on to actually dismiss the very thing the headline seemed to promote, or vice versa.  We are locked in this cage of information, and human brains are just not good at trying to filter through it all.

That, among many other things, makes it really hard to take a lot of what one hears completely seriously.  The mainstream media in our country is very shady in a number of ways, so you have to be wary of them.  Foreign media may be more objective when it comes to reporting on America, but like you said, it's also going to be more shallow and distant.  And independent journalists run the gamut, and are often just as biased as the mainstream, and there's a ton of them, so you end up getting bombarded by an endless stream of information from so many angles, and the majority of it is probably crap.

You can also check the bylines, if you're actually bothering to read the articles in the first place. Reuters and Associated Press reprints are generally reliable for objective reporting, though they aren't flawless. Reuters in particular seems to try a bit too hard at times to avoid applying any editorial slant at all to its articles via word choice, but the two are good for raw facts. It takes effort on a person's own part to gather the facts and data and draw conclusions, but that's as much a fault of modern society as it is the reporting media. We've been gradually acclimated to convenience, in everything from our meals to our entertainment - fast food and frozen meals, or the canned laugh tracks on sitcoms. Doing the work to research an issue, analyzing the sources you are reading to counteract whatever bias they might be imparting, and doing enough of both to arrive at a solidly based stance is a lot of work. More work than the average person is going to want to spend, especially when they can just turn on the TV and see a talking head tell them not just what is happening, but what they should think about what is happening.

TheVillain

Heck, I'll give Trump credit for doing something right if by accident. He sees to have reminded a lot of news media types that they're supposed to be on our side.

Not all of them and shit still sucks, granted. But at this point I'd even trust Fox before I'd trust Him.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

RedRose

The medias will say what sells. French medias will say USA is hell on Earth, while my cousins there live normally. US medias will say "Europe" (one of my pet peeves) is hell on Earth, while I'm currently touring it and everything is normal... I actually like to tell myself life is safer and people are saner nowadays but I might be wrong.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

WindFish

So there was a far-right/Nazi protest in Vancouver (a sentence I never thought I'd have to type) today, but they were met by thousands more counter-protesters. While it's distressing to know that the far-right types exist in Canada, it does give me hope that there's far more people who stand up against fascism and white supremacy than those who support it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/anti-racism-rally-vancouver-city-hall-1.4253117
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

Trigon

Quote from: WindFish on August 19, 2017, 08:50:30 PM
So there was a far-right/Nazi protest in Vancouver (a sentence I never thought I'd have to type) today, but they were met by thousands more counter-protesters. While it's distressing to know that the far-right types exist in Canada, it does give me hope that there's far more people who stand up against fascism and white supremacy than those who support it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/anti-racism-rally-vancouver-city-hall-1.4253117

Yeah, same thing happened in my home city of Boston: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/19/thousands-expected-at-boston-free-speech-rally-and-counter-protest/?utm_term=.65c3c2f361df

Thankfully we had things under control, but these fascists sure have been coming out of the woodwork lately :/

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Yet Another naval collission.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10-sailors-missing-after-us-navy-destroyer-collides-with-merchant-ship/ar-AAqrEfs?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

How does this happen? You have the entire ocean to move about it! Someone is going straight for a dishonorable discharge.

Lustful Bride

Whoo Eclipse is today and its almost here!

Remember to Praise the Sun everyone!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2017, 09:06:19 PM
Yet Another naval collission.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/10-sailors-missing-after-us-navy-destroyer-collides-with-merchant-ship/ar-AAqrEfs?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

How does this happen? You have the entire ocean to move about it! Someone is going straight for a dishonorable discharge.

They hit an oil tanker bigger than they were, and there might be ten people dead. Forget DHD for gross negligence, I expect someone's going to end up with prison time for involuntary manslaughter when all the dust settles.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 21, 2017, 01:20:05 PM
Whoo Eclipse is today and its almost here!

Remember to Praise the Sun everyone!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/christian-radio-host-eclipse-satan_us_599a5db2e4b01f6e801f5141

And while most of us bask in the glory of it, some.. well..

Quote“This is a metaphor, or a sign, of the work of the Prince of Darkness in obscuring the light of God’s truth,” he wrote, adding, “Satan, and those who unwittingly serve as his accomplices by resisting the public acknowledgement of God and seeking to repress the expression of Christian faith in our land, are bringing on us a dark night of the national soul.”

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2017, 11:35:10 AM
Manhunt for terrorists involved in the Barcelona attack intensifies as more clues are revealed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/100-gas-tanks-extremists-in-spain-planned-massive-attack/ar-AAqnuZA?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Looks like the two missing key people have been rounded up and are safely dead. The guy who drove the van was killed in a shootout this afternoon, and the extremist imam whom many people have pointed out as the brains and key organizer behind the terrorist cell has been identified as one of the men killed in the bomb factory explosion.

*exhales with relief*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

CaptainNexus616

Today, while the eclipse has been a big topic across the world. England listened to Big Ben chime for the final time before it began its four year renovations. Until completion the clock will remain silent. 
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

gaggedLouise

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 21, 2017, 10:16:25 PM
Today, while the eclipse has been a big topic across the world. England listened to Big Ben chime for the final time before it began its four year renovations. Until completion the clock will remain silent.

Except on New Year's Eve, and no doubt it will be chimed for the Queen's funeral, should she pass on sometime during the next few years (a not altogether unlikely event).

Lustful Bride

Man Kills his Neo Nazi roommates, claiming they were building a bomb and planning a terrorist attack. And it turns out he was correct as weapons, ammunition, and bomb making materials were found.

But from this point on, the story gets insanely complicated....im not even sure how to properly explain this rabbit hole.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/posers-or-terrorists-deaths-put-spotlight-on-neo-nazi-group/ar-AAqwFtx?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 22, 2017, 08:06:46 AM
Man Kills his Neo Nazi roommates, claiming they were building a bomb and planning a terrorist attack. And it turns out he was correct as weapons, ammunition, and bomb making materials were found.

But from this point on, the story gets insanely complicated....im not even sure how to properly explain this rabbit hole.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/posers-or-terrorists-deaths-put-spotlight-on-neo-nazi-group/ar-AAqwFtx?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*bookmarks* ´:-)

By the way, the Danish police have found a body in tne water that may well be that of journalist Kim Wall, who vaninshed during a submarine trip - but the forensics now say the body may have been dismembered. The head and one arm are gone and seem to have been removed by cuts...