Seeking GM/Players for small group adventure (maybe PF?)

Started by Ixy, August 14, 2011, 04:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

I'm still seeking an additional small-group game with players and DM who are seeking the same.

Specifically:
1) Minimal power-gaming or rule discussion
2) Characters don't act like anime, and character avatars don't remind us of it
3) Writing mechanics are reasonably correct
4) Posts include some setting, character description, or other detail to make the scene vivid without going overboard
5) Everyone keeps a reasonable post rate (about a post a day, minimum).

Thoughts on this?  Anyone else?  It'd be great to hear ideas and preferences, just to see who would like to participate and what kind of things we'd like to see in a game.

Some ideas to consider, maybe?
-The party has amnesia for an unknown period of time.  The awaken in tombs, with some familiar equipment, but they don't recognize each other at all.
-A team assembled to investigate a series of strange events in a kingdom, including disappearances, "dancing plagues", behavior-altering dreams, etc. in a sort of X-Files venue for a DnD world
-We pick different historical cultures-- different locations, eras, etc.-- for inspiration, and each character represents a champion from that era.

Add to this list if you're interested, please.  Thank you for your interest!

Latooni Subota

Tentative interest, despite the TOTAL HATE OF GLORIOUS ART IMAGRY! :)

At the very least, I'll poke around at the people I know on Elliquiy and see if anyone is interested in your ideas/the DM spot.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Snark

I have to say this has totally cuaght my interest, I haven't done much really described as "DND" but I have done some group fantasy roelplays that probably come close.

I'm not the biggest amine fan myself but I have to say its hard to find any reference images for fantasy stuff ( for me at least) that doesn't at least seem a bit amine influenced. If you know any good sites to look this could help a lot though- or maybe I could just go without a pic?

I love all three of your ideas, so much so I don't really have a preference. If anything maybe the first one would be the simplest to start up? I'll be happy either way though.

Latooni Subota

Sorry to say that I was unable to obtain a DM for this. My bad. :*(
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Ixy

Thanks for trying Latooni :)  And I'm not hating on anime, it just has a different feel... I mean, avatars aside, I think there's a different element that I find kind of distracting.  People can do what they like, which is a great thing about E.  I'm just trying to be upfront about something that interrupts enjoyment of a game for me.

Snark-- I'm sure that fantasy art and anime influence each other all the time.  I'll PM an image database that might help.  Also, depending on the DM's style and the like, it's hard to say yet if a lack of experience with DnD would be any problem.  In almost every case, it's totally fine to try DnD new with a little guidance from the DM.  I'd prefer a little less rules-heavy stuff to begin with, and I don't doubt you'll have no trouble with finding help with character creation and the like.

Snark

Yeah, I guess I can see how it could be distracting, I have a feeling what you sent me will help a lot though, thanks.

I'll say I'm pretty confident that with a little help, as long as the games not terribly comlicated in terms of rules, which it seems like it won't be, I'll figure things out fine.

Astrofig

Sounds like a lot of fun but I don't know how to do DND......

Snark

Quote from: Astrofig on August 15, 2011, 03:21:34 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun but I don't know how to do DND......
lol, neither do I, that's what we were just talking about. I'm sure if you're interested you can get someone here to help you out.

Ixy

Hm.  Maybe we should be asking for a "new to DnD" game?  I'm sure you guys aren't the only ones interested in giving it a try :)

kongming

I'd really like to play, just for the fun of playing with Ixy again.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Ixy

Vaulera

I would be all over this being a long time 2nd and 3rd edition D&D player if wasn't going to Europe for a week tomorrow.

abandoneddolly

ahh I would be interested to. Ive always wanted to do d&d but never had the chance, so I have never actually played it before. 

Ixy

No problem-- I don't think we're ready to get started, as we haven't yet decided 100% on a GM (though I'm strongly considering running it at this point), setting, etc.  Can those interested give a basic idea of what kind of things they like in a game?  Like, what kind of character you like, what kind of settings, any ideas, etc?

Blue Leah

If you guys are still looking for a GM, and are willing to run with PFRPG rules, I might be able to help out. I've got a couple of adventures that I could probably modify,  as needed.

Ixy

That is really exciting-- can you give us any idea of what you've been wanting to run?  Anything is a good start :)

Blue Leah

Depends on how long-term you're looking? I have a home-brew adventure that's being run in a non-E setting that I could convert over, which starts at level 1 and ends around level 15. If you're looking for something a bit shorter, I can run something starting around level 4-5 and ending around level 10?

The long game has a lot going on, and hits several different locales. As for shorter adventures, I have a few that are almost pure dungeon crawl, a shipwrecked / island theme, a dark urban theme, etc. If you guys can give me a few ideas on what you're looking for, I can probably spin something up. :)

Phantasmatical

Expressing interest in playing in this game. I would prefer playing a character above level one to begin with, but with the right plot and good likelihood of long-term activity I'd consider a game that starts at level one.

Throwing in my willingness to GM as well, in case other offers don't pan out.

Ixy

That's outstanding, Phantasmical.  Love to have you along :)

TKtheExiled-- I will state that while I LOVE the idea of a really long game with cool locations, but my experience is that almost never does that successfully happen on E... with our endless variety of distractions, people appear and disappear at the drop of a hat.

I would prefer not the island theme, actually-- while it's one of my favorite setting, I'm running one in the swamps and tropics and playing in two others with shipwrecked castaway adventurers.  I like a good dungeon crawl, but I don't want to spend the whole game in a hole.  I'd prefer a smaller dungeon or two, maybe a short extracurricular in the underdark or caves, etc. with immersive detail and coolness that stays fresh and keeps moving.

As for player roles-- I really don't want to play with anything that is non-living-- no constructs, I mean... I need characters with feelings and players that actually post.  I also would like to keep things like magic wands and scrolls to a minimum so players can't always 'get what they want' (ie, "we don't need a cleric, we have a 350GP wand!").  So LOW MAGIC except our spellcasters, so they're uber-special?

Here are some ideas for settings:
-Conan RPG/Hyperion Chronicles type setting-- neighboring barbaric kingdoms ruled by warlords and cults
-Island kingdoms, maybe?  Like an ancient Greek or Roman type world, with gladiator arenas, strong mythological elements with gods dallying in mortal lives
-Privateers in an exotic island network, seeing tropical paradises and blood on the high seas

For specific, selfish stuff-- I'd like to try a few different things.  Any of these would be good, but I doubt All would be possible--
I like playing something sexy cause it's FANTASY damnit, even if it's weird/alien sexy. 
I'd like to try gender swapping (see previous)
Some light bondage or coercion (read: not rape for me, thanks!)
2-3 paragraph posts where possible

That's all I can think of... pick what you like there :)

Blue Leah

Hm. Well, here's my standard take on a full-party game, so you let me know if this works for you, and then I'll see what I can do about banging out a plot:

Using PFRPG (Pretty much all materials are on D20pfsrd):
-15 Point Buy for stats
-Everyone gets two traits, in addition to their starting feat
-All players begin with a free "Adventurer's Kit"- Backpack, Bedroll, small sundries that make traveling easier (i.e. soap / razors), and three days rations.
-Average starting gold
-I allow classes from all four main rulebooks- Core, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Magic, and Ultimate Combat. This includes all major archetypes, and the Words of Power spellcasting system.
-Because Gunslingers are allowed, the settings I run are considered "early guns" only- so no one is likely to be running around with a revolver or shotgun.
-In addition to the core races, I allow PCs to be Sylphs, Oreads, Ifrits, Undines, Tengus, or Gripplis. I'll consider other suggestions, but there's a high chance it will be vetoed.

As to the more "E" side of things:
-I'm willing to accommodate pretty much anything but blood/torture (including menses), underage, and a few other personal squicks, so if everyone participating gives me a list, I'll try to include set-ups for a little bit of something for everyone.

Again, let me know if this works for you.

Ixy

Sounds workable to me.  I think, as long as there's a level playing field, we can all agree to work it out.  The only restriction is that a 15 point buy makes some feats with high ability score prerequisites very difficult to achieve... however, it might be really nice to have the rare abilities be truly rare.  Cool.

Phantasmatical

The last two Pathfinder games I played used rolled stats, so I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I think Pathfinder allows a character a little more bang for their buck when it comes to the point buy system, compared to D&D 3.5.

Putting in my two cents, I agree regarding long-term games online. They very rarely work out, as people tend to quickly drift off, either away from E entirely or just stop posting in that thread. I prefer a game with an ending point in sight that the characters can work toward anyway, with all the twists and turns along the way.

I would like to make a character built with a backstory that specifically intertwines with someone else's. Actually, given the option, I'd prefer if all the characters had some background story with each other. Not only does it make roleplaying easier, since we get to skip that awkward introduction phase, but it might also give the players more motivation to stay involved in the game if they're more invested in their character.

Blue Leah

Ok. So I'll start writing, and plan for a short range story- likely from 5th to 10th level. Give me a day or so to put together a concept, and I'll toss it back by you. I'd prefer to keep the party size between 4-6, if possible.

Ixy

Lots of ideas, nothing solid-- of course-- until we know the setting and themes.  I'm thinking either a dervish dancer bard, a ranger of some type, or a cleric.  So many choices :C

Blue Leah