Offensive Usernames

Started by Greenthorn, June 13, 2008, 12:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on June 15, 2008, 02:07:41 PM
You know...bodily fluids do not squick me (using Sherona's word) but the thought of bodily fluids exploding from latex...does haha

I have been playing a game with Vekseid for almost as long as I have been a member of this forum..I can say for certain that bodily fluids don't squick me at all..;)

Elvi

Really Paradox?
I didn't see it as a 'vulgar' name, I simply saw it as an object that I couldn't really relate to a person.
A condom isn't vulgar, it's an object, a type of birth control made from latex, nothing vulgar in that at all.

With your way of thinking, we could have a conversation about those who sign up with certain names and then run around attempting to wipe them out because they have got themselves into trouble in using them?
We could name the name they were using, say what the name they are using now, suggest alternatives, have a little laugh about it all, say how silly they were.

Caity,
There is nothing wrong with Caity29, however, I wonder why bother with the 29, odes it actually have any meaning whatsoever on this site?

After all, those that do that, regardless of what they have done since then, they still signed up with an unsuitable name (for them) and that gives us every right to discuss it in the midst of a larger discussion on inappropriate names in general.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Paradox

Quote from: caity29 on June 15, 2008, 02:21:23 PM
What's wrong with names with numbers in them?

Nothing is wrong with names with numbers, persay. It's just names that make no sense at all often include numbers.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caity

I generally attach a number to my name, because the name I want is already taken.  And the number does have a meaning to me...

Paradox

Quote from: Elvi on June 15, 2008, 02:24:50 PM
Really Paradox?
I didn't see it as a 'vulgar' name, I simply saw it as an object that I couldn't really relate to a person.
A condom isn't vulgar, it's an object, a type of birth control made from latex, nothing vulgar in that at all.

With your way of thinking, we could have a conversation about those who sign up with certain names and then run around attempting to wipe them out because they have got themselves into trouble in using them?
We could name the name they were using, say what the name they are using now, suggest alternatives, have a little laugh about it all, say how silly they were.

If you're feeling especially spiteful and vindictive today, then be my guest; however, my folly bears no relevance to the current topic of conversation. If you'd like to call me a moron or something of the like, then start a seperate thread for it. I'll be more than happy to respond to you there.

As for it being vulgar, enough people here had a gut reaction of being disgusted by it that I think it qualifies. You're right that there isn't anything vulgar about latex itself; however, her name didn't say "mundane, everyday method of birth control made of latex". It was explicit, and though it didn't mention any bodily fluids, it still evoked that imagery in people's minds. If I remember correctly, she later explained the reason behind the name. It had something to do with a sexual education class she took, and how hilarious she thought it was when they discussed exploding condoms.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Caity

Quote from: Paradox on June 15, 2008, 02:25:23 PM
Nothing is wrong with names with numbers, persay. It's just names that make no sense at all often include numbers.

How does it make no sense?  ....

Paradox

Quote from: caity29 on June 15, 2008, 02:31:35 PM
How does it make no sense?  ....

I wasn't referring to yours, silly! Nor was Elvi. We were more so talking about names like "974fuzm479

Elvi

Then there IS no problem with it at all...
We call you Caity and that is what I relate to.
The point I myself was making is that I can't relate to someone who simply 'calls' themselves '123xyz'...
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Greenthorn

*nudges towards the topic*

Should we ask for a rule that usernames be PG-13?

Trieste

Okay. Out of hand. Locked until and unless someone convinces the staff that it should be unlocked.