5e D&D Furry Game Interest Check (Multiple Ideas/Genres Inside)

Started by TheSithChicken, December 24, 2017, 05:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSithChicken

Well as my last group game idea seems to have faltered and died I set about wracking my brain for another one that would work better. Jive better with the crowd on E. Something that catered to the sites need for more intimate relationships (this is the most diplomatic way I have said this and I am both somewhat proud and pained by it) while still giving me what I desire as GM. For me that means a system game. For E that means making a setting and premise not based off of something incredibly niche (like steampunk spider-men fighting flesh eating giants). What's going to follow is several different ideas for everyone to talk about and see what attracts the most interest. Once I have that - if there is enough interest - I will do a full thread for that idea alone.

Premise

• The game will be using Dungeons and Dragons 5e system with the Fursona supplement.
        Note: You do not need this supplement to play. I can give you the information you need from it.
  • All of the game ideas will feature worlds with the traditional fantasy races (elves, dwarves, etc), non-traditional (I like weird races), and anthropomorphic animals (this is where the Fursona book comes in as it rules for making any kind of anthro from aardvark to xenomorph). Seriously you can make anything with Fursona.
  • Homebrew material and third party material will be allowed on a case by case basis. There is some great stuff out there and I see no reason not to use it.
  • This will be in the Non-consensual Exotic boards but more for furries and nonhumans than anything else.
  • I do not expect a super fast posting rate. If you can give me one or two posts a week I will be happy.

Basically I want you to be able to be whatever you really want to be. You want to be an elvish wizard? Sure. You want to be an anthro bear barbarian? Awesome. You want to be a seductive lamia alchemist? I can get down with that. You want to be a former weremushroom plantman gunslinger? Okay! By the by the last one is not just a random thing. It's one of the pregens that I made for a Wild West meets Mad Max meets Van Hellsing monster hunter game I run IRL. People seem to like my pregens - which is an option we can go with here if anyone wants to try it.

Ideas

Brighter Than Netflix - Urban Fantasy. Working title. Inspired by the Netflix movie Bright. Modern day with all the trappings of the fantasy world. Elven models and orc gangbangers. Dragons running corporations. Wizards are feared and respected. Next to all of them walk the Tribes of the Moon. Descendants of the werecreatures of old (read as anthros). The players would be members of the police force tasked with upholding the law in a world with little use for laws. There would be rules for all the modern things as well as all the traditional fantasy things you are used to. I might restrict clerics in this one. It would be up for discussion at any rate.

The Spark - High Fantasy. Magic the Gathering inspired but no knowledge of the setting or game required. This one is pretty self explanatory but it could also go a lot of different ways. The characters are all young planeswalkers who have formed a compact. However where they go and what they face would be very much up to the players. This would give the players a lot of freedom. You could create your own homeworld and populate it with your own cultures and races or you could use an existing MTG plane or I could make one for you. This game could potentially go anywhere - to any kind of fantasy setting and encounter almost anything. Imagine strange worlds and bizarre monsters and aged artifacts. Probably the most open ended of my ideas.

More Than A Game - High Fantasy with an edge of scifi. Inspired by such shows as Sword Art Online, .hack, and Overlord. In this one the players are literally players of the world's first truly interactive full sensory VR MMORPG. Make your avatar and adventure into the new fantasy world. Of course it will be more than just a game and you will be inevitably trapped within it. What you do from there is up to you.

The Werepocalypse - Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy. Idea shamelessly ripped off from one of my roommate's old ideas. It's okay. He's not on the site to know. Also partly inspired by Palladium's After the Bomb setting. Mad Max with anthropomorphic animal raiders born of the Chosen of the Hungry God. Fantasy battles in the ruins of the old world thrown down by the return of magic and mayhem. Players could be a caravan or trying to run a settlement or scavengers of the cities of the old men or even raiders if you like.

Sixguns and Sorcery - Weird West. Inspired by Deadlands and the music of Eli Wells. This... is actually super self explanatory. Steampunk fantasy wild west action. Players could be bounty hunters or lawmen but I have an odd fascination of starting the game off with the pcs robbing a train. I've never run a robber gang in an old west setting before.

Putting the Dungeon Back In D&D - Weird Fantasy. Inspired by Cube, the Death Gate Cycle, and the art of Heavy Metal magazine. The players are members of a failed movement - perhaps an attempted social movement like a coup or a religion or a separatist group - and have been banished with all their co-conspirators to a prison. This prison is a great Lovecraftian cavern of crafted metals and the built up residue of ages. Horrific monsters, strange treasures, and wondrous sights await beneath the black vaulted ceilings. Plus you're not the first people to be banished there...

I would put some more ideas but I am super tired. Feel free to ask any questions. I don't have a life (or much in the way of family) so I'll be free to answer any time after I regain consciousness later. If you have ideas for campaigns feel free to share. I reserve the right to share any other ideas I may dream up.

So see anything interesting?

DomJoe

I'll start off by saying that there are some good ideas here. I'm finding myself drawn more towards The Spark, More than a Game, and Sixguns and Sorcery ideas. If I had to pick one of those only, however, I'd go with The Spark.

Do you have any idea on what level players would be starting at, just to get a general idea of how powerful we'd start off as? Any specific material you'd allow/disallow as well (other than the mentioned Fursona supplement)?

Lustful Bride

A Bright like setting sounds great. We could all be part of a MEAT team.

Mythical Emergency Assault Team.

Gives us a reason to have a bunch of different species and magical abilities in one team, due to a variety of danger.

But Sixguns and More than a Game sound so fun too.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: DomJoe on December 24, 2017, 01:53:28 PM
Do you have any idea on what level players would be starting at, just to get a general idea of how powerful we'd start off as? Any specific material you'd allow/disallow as well (other than the mentioned Fursona supplement)?

Good questions! Level would actually be dependent on what the group wants. I'm flexible in that regard. I can just as easily run low level as I can high level. I've been doing the GMing thing for a long time now and have no real preference of my own. As for material. All WOTC material is cool but Unearthed Arcana stuff will fall under the third party and homebrew category in that it will have to be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Like I said above there is a lot of cool 3rd party and homebrew stuff out there - and I see no reason not to use it.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on December 24, 2017, 02:02:04 PM
A Bright like setting sounds great. We could all be part of a MEAT team.

Mythical Emergency Assault Team.

Gives us a reason to have a bunch of different species and magical abilities in one team, due to a variety of danger.

But Sixguns and More than a Game sound so fun too.

MEAT sounds awesome as a team name and will probably be a wonderful double entendre on E.

DomJoe

All I want is to not start at levels 1 and 2, haha. They tend to be rather boring and bare bones for pretty much every class, unless you are a spellcaster. I'd prefer at least 3rd level for a start.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: DomJoe on December 24, 2017, 03:44:25 PM
All I want is to not start at levels 1 and 2, haha. They tend to be rather boring and bare bones for pretty much every class, unless you are a spellcaster. I'd prefer at least 3rd level for a start.

I would start at a minimum of 3rd level so people can have their archetypes. Before that in 5e characters can be a bit bland. Pathfinder I would be less worried about as it does the earlier levels better with more variety (having 30+ classes and enough archetypes for everyone in Uganda to have their own helps) but 5e? Yeah. 3rd level minimum.

Chulanowa

Spark and Sixguns intrigue me; I liked the film "Bright" but I'm not sure the core premise of it would work in a system where damn near everyone has ready access to magic.

Unfortunately, I don't feel like shelling out $12 for a PDF that I would likely only use this one time. But, if you're willing to share the crunch stuff from it, that'd be awesome!

TheSithChicken

To be fair my idea is inspired by Bright not stolen from it. It would be closer to Urban High Fantasy than what that movie was. Think Dresden Files but in the open kind of thing.

Absolutely willing to share the necessary crunch from it. Though if you play 5e I would recommend it. It has great rules for making your own races.

Hexed

I picked up the book! It looks neat. That said... the 5e version is a lot neater/easier to use then the pathfinder version. Q.Q

Spark, More then a game, Putting the dungeon back all sound pretty neat. Well... to be honest they all sound neat!

And I really like some of the class adds.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Hexed on December 24, 2017, 07:33:42 PM
I picked up the book! It looks neat. That said... the 5e version is a lot neater/easier to use then the pathfinder version. Q.Q

The 5e version is much better.

Quote from: Hexed on December 24, 2017, 07:33:42 PMSpark, More then a game, Putting the dungeon back all sound pretty neat. Well... to be honest they all sound neat!

And I really like some of the class adds.

I am glad they all sound good.

DomJoe

Sounds like Sixguns and Sorcery is the real winner here, if you ask me!

Chulanowa

Yeah, he had me at "train robbery" - my first "real" D&D game was an eberron run that started in media res, during a train robbery... and it was up to us to decide if our characters were robbing the train, stopping the robbery, or - as we decided on - stopping one robbery to conduct our own.

Come to think of it that one was furry, too, the DM loved him some gnolls.

Green Goo Theory

Tossing interest out there.  Any of the games would be fun but if need be I can toss out a vote, too.
Coming soon...

TheSithChicken

Votes So Far:

Brighter Than Netflix l
The Spark lll
More Than A Game lll
The Werepocalypse
Sixguns and Sorcery lll
Putting the Dungeon Back l

At the moment there is a 3 way tie between The Spark, More Than A Game, and Sixguns & Sorcery. Hmm... expected Brighter Than Netflix to get more love. Werepocalypse being a weirder idea is not surprising in it's relative disinterest.

Any questions I could answer to help decide on an idea?

Kathyan

I'm intrigued by this Fursona complement so I'd toss my hat here as well.

Brighter and Sixguns got most of my attention here because steampunk is cool and modern D&D I don't see everyday, although I don't see why restricting the cleric though, I once made up a cleric with the City Domains(UA) who revered 'the ghost in the machine' and whose holy symbol was an app on her phone. ^^

Since sixguns seems to be the winner already I'll vote on Brighter Than Netflix only so as to bring it closer to competition :P though I wouldn't turn down the other ideas either.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Kathyan on December 26, 2017, 11:18:16 AM
Brighter and Sixguns got most of my attention here because steampunk is cool and modern D&D I don't see everyday, although I don't see why restricting the cleric though, I once made up a cleric with the City Domains(UA) who revered 'the ghost in the machine' and whose holy symbol was an app on her phone. ^^

Mostly because religion in the modern day has become a very touchy subject as of late. For very good reasons I might add. The idea of restricting clerics would avoid the arguments that could arrive from having active divine influences on the modern world which would radically reshape Western civilization in a way that I frankly just don't want to deal with.

Quote from: Kathyan on December 26, 2017, 11:18:16 AMSince sixguns seems to be the winner already I'll vote on Brighter Than Netflix only so as to bring it closer to competition :P though I wouldn't turn down the other ideas either.

Sixguns is tied with two other ideas...

Hexed

If it helps I'll take mine from more then a dungeon and put it on six guns!

<.<  >.>

I may have been sold by chatter of train robberies.

Kathyan

Quote from: TheSithChicken on December 26, 2017, 03:50:29 PM
Sixguns is tied with two other ideas...

Oh I meant it because I was going originally going to vote for both Netflix and Sixguns ^^. If we take that into account plus Hexed last post and Sixguns is the clear winner :P

Green Goo Theory

Looks like it wouldn't have mattered what I voted for.  Sixguns was towards the top of my list, anyway. 
Coming soon...

Chulanowa

Quote from: TheSithChicken on December 26, 2017, 03:50:29 PM
Mostly because religion in the modern day has become a very touchy subject as of late. For very good reasons I might add. The idea of restricting clerics would avoid the arguments that could arrive from having active divine influences on the modern world which would radically reshape Western civilization in a way that I frankly just don't want to deal with.

And wizards wouldn't?  ;D One of my favorite book series asks the premise "What if there were dragons during the Napoleonic wars?" and it gets pretty wild from that point.

The easiest way to handle the issue is to simply skirt it; just transplant wild west themes and tech into a homebrew world where deities work in a D&D sense. If the goal is "distant" deities, use the way Eberron approaches it, where the magic of divine spellcasters comes from their own personal faith in a divinity, church, or philosophy rather than from a direct endowment of power from an active "Deity."

Basically it's less "What if the Church of Pelor were in the Arizona Territory in 1875" and more "What if Drizzt used six-shooters instead of scimitars?"

QuoteSixguns is tied with two other ideas...

All that said... if i had to weight the ideas? I'd put "The Spark" or some other "standard fantasy" setting on priority, simply to require the least tinkering with concepts. "Six-Shooters" requires tinkering, and to be frank I can live without steampunk  :D I also want to give an anti-vote to "More Than A Game" as I find that concept particularly tedious every time I run into it. I'm not even sure why, 'cause i can dig the idea of "you fall trhough a portal from the real world into this fanrtasy one" just fine. The use of video games as that vehicle bugs me for some reason.

Bibliophilia

-perks.-  Oooo...I am quite fond of the idea of planar hopping and potentially having the party end up on one another's 'home' plane.  Opens up the possibility for more player driven stories, if so desired, and definitely allows for more exploration of character backstories.

So, I'd vote for The Spark.

TheSithChicken

Votes:

Brighter Than Netflix ll
The Spark llll
More Than A Game ll
The Werepocalypse
Sixguns and Sorcery llll
Putting the Dungeon Back l

So the Spark and Sixguns are tied.

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 26, 2017, 09:05:16 PM
And wizards wouldn't?  ;D One of my favorite book series asks the premise "What if there were dragons during the Napoleonic wars?" and it gets pretty wild from that point.

The easiest way to handle the issue is to simply skirt it; just transplant wild west themes and tech into a homebrew world where deities work in a D&D sense. If the goal is "distant" deities, use the way Eberron approaches it, where the magic of divine spellcasters comes from their own personal faith in a divinity, church, or philosophy rather than from a direct endowment of power from an active "Deity."

Basically it's less "What if the Church of Pelor were in the Arizona Territory in 1875" and more "What if Drizzt used six-shooters instead of scimitars?"

It's not more difficult from a world building perspective. It's more difficult from an "assigning magical power to real world religions and starting a stupid shitstorm argument" perspective. The Brighter than Netflix was going to be the real world plus fantasy tropes. Which means real world religions and the like unless I want to re-write about 2000 years of history.

And I've never cared for the Eberron view on clerics.

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 26, 2017, 09:05:16 PMAll that said... if i had to weight the ideas? I'd put "The Spark" or some other "standard fantasy" setting on priority, simply to require the least tinkering with concepts. "Six-Shooters" requires tinkering, and to be frank I can live without steampunk  :D I also want to give an anti-vote to "More Than A Game" as I find that concept particularly tedious every time I run into it. I'm not even sure why, 'cause i can dig the idea of "you fall trhough a portal from the real world into this fanrtasy one" just fine. The use of video games as that vehicle bugs me for some reason.

Sixguns actually requires no tinkering. I have all the rules and equipment for it. It is literally plug and play. I would probably actually have to tinker more for the Spark ironincally depending on where it goes.

Angie

Ah hell, I'll play anything, I just wanna do some d20. Maybe I'll finally get to use my "Sorceress that doesn't know she has magic" character.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Chulanowa

Quote from: TheSithChicken on December 29, 2017, 12:51:59 AM
It's not more difficult from a world building perspective. It's more difficult from an "assigning magical power to real world religions and starting a stupid shitstorm argument" perspective. The Brighter than Netflix was going to be the real world plus fantasy tropes. Which means real world religions and the like unless I want to re-write about 2000 years of history.

Yeah, I just noticed that i confused Brighter and Sixguns on that topic  :-[ Thus the mention of "Arizona Territory circa 1875"

QuoteAnd I've never cared for the Eberron view on clerics.

I'unno, I prefer it over the Forgotten Realms style of "the gods are massive stat blocks that show up to meddle around in your life sometimes" - though the pathfinder style of "the gods are definitely real but you're never going personally meet one" is a happy medium.

And hte idea that you can get magic powers from being a member of an apocalyptic death cult centered aroudn a Koreshian robot is a little intriguing to me, gotta say. ;D

Green Goo Theory

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 29, 2017, 01:13:13 AM

I'unno, I prefer it over the Forgotten Realms style of "the gods are massive stat blocks that show up to meddle around in your life sometimes" - though the pathfinder style of "the gods are definitely real but you're never going personally meet one" is a happy medium.

And hte idea that you can get magic powers from being a member of an apocalyptic death cult centered aroudn a Koreshian robot is a little intriguing to me, gotta say. ;D

Overall Forgotten Realms have been among my least favorite settings for a lot of reasons.  The way the gods are presented among them.  The only time I'm okay with the gods showing up as giant statblocks to fuck shit up are during epic games and that's just because there's so few things that can actually challenge an epic party outside of deities.  Also!  Death cults are the bestest.

Do we currently need a tie breaker on votes? 
Coming soon...