What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

For people looking for the 2nd amendment/tweet debate, the new thread is here--the posts about the subject have been split to a new topic:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=296372.0

Please take any further debate on that subject to that thread.

Tolvo

Sara Nilsson

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/15/gay-sex-albany-episcopal-church-bishop-william-love/

QuoteAn Episcopal bishop in Albany, New York has banned churches in his district from performing same-sex marriages, which he said Satan was using to encourage gay sex and “hurt and destroy” the denomination.

QuoteSatan was doing this, Love wrote, “by deceiving the leadership of the Church into creating ways for our gay and lesbian brothers and sister to embrace their sexual desires” and engage in gay sex, “rather than to repent and seek God’s love and healing grace.”

Always knew Satan was an upstanding fella.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Tolvo

Hmm, sure, I mean its his religious belief he can do that. Just as the state can then take away his license or remove any benefits from being married to another person. Since he wants his state and religion so separate after all.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on November 17, 2018, 06:11:22 PM
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/15/gay-sex-albany-episcopal-church-bishop-william-love/

Always knew Satan was an upstanding fella.

As is pointed out in the course of the video clip, this song doesn'r make for good ringtones while in church. ^_^

(Also, it's not actually Metallica, it's British electronica band Orbital teaming up with Kirk Hammett, but never mind... I have this on a movie soundtrack cd)  O:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVwp-X1AMLc

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Major chicken pox outbreak in North Carolina school, which coincidentally also has a high number of vaccination exemption.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/school-with-major-chickenpox-outbreak-has-high-vaccination-exemption-rate/ar-BBPOsRX?ocid=spartandhp

I wish I could shame those parents. Now all of those kids are doomed to have Shingles when they get older. People back in the day would have killed to get the medicines we have, and now people are killing their kids not to give them medicine.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 17, 2018, 06:58:47 PM
Major chicken pox outbreak in North Carolina school, which coincidentally also has a high number of vaccination exemption.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/school-with-major-chickenpox-outbreak-has-high-vaccination-exemption-rate/ar-BBPOsRX?ocid=spartandhp

I wish I could shame those parents. Now all of those kids are doomed to have Shingles when they get older. People back in the day would have killed to get the medicines we have, and now people are killing their kids not to give them medicine.

How do you shame someone who feels no shame in exposing their children to easily prevented diseases? I think they're past that point.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Tolvo

The only real solution would probably to consider it a full on danger to the life of the child and those around them. Similar to how even if it is against the parents' beliefs we still can give life saving treatment to their children.

Oniya

Actually, as someone who had chicken pox before the vaccine existed (as did my older siblings), it's not a foregone conclusion that they will get shingles.  Yes, they are caused by the same virus, and yes, the virus stays in your system.  The reactivation mechanism is still unknown, but it does tend to happen more often in people with weakened immune systems.  There are also now vaccines specifically for older adults for shingles:  Zostavax and Shingrix.  These are recommended for people over 50 who did not get the chicken pox vaccine, whether or not they had chicken pox as children.

Hopefully, by age 50, these children will have outgrown their parents' anti-vaccination prejudice.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RedRose

Chicken pox isn't something French people vax for, unless you are reaching teens, or especially fragile. I've had chicken pox - hardly remember - and most people definitely don't get shingles...
I'm absolutely for vaccines, especially those mandatory and horrible diseases.

Algerian author subjected to racist comments by high schoolers to meet them. "I don't want to call them little fascists or little nazis, I want to understand", he said in another interview. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46233555
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

gaggedLouise

Yes, I've had chicken pox too, before I began school, and to people who are infected in childhood it's generally harmless. Shingles is not a common disease at all in Scandinavia but chicken pox in childhood definitely is. I would guess that at least half of children here are infected with chicken pox at some point in childhood, mostly before they're nine years old, and to 99% it's quite unremarkable.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Tolvo

I think it's more a problem of it spreading wildly at a school, to most people it is harmless but to some it is incredibly dangerous and if it is so easily spreading unchecked that means there are some health issues going on and a lot of physical contact or spreading through other means. Which can be deadly for some individuals. Someone getting it or maybe a friend then getting it is no big deal but a ton of cases all at once is a bad sign.

RedRose

Mmmm. I'm trying to remember if I ever witnessed tons of cases in one class. I don't think. I read of people exposing their children to sick neighbours but I don't have a personal memory of it being a thing.

Danny Balint anyone https://www.ou.org/blog/news/convicted-neo-nazi-was-jerusalem-yeshiva-student/
the pics speak for themselves https://i.imgur.com/pPwK7l0.jpg
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Tolvo

I guess that should be surprising but given Israel's leadership it is unsurprising to find Neo-Nazis coming from such a background.

Oniya

Quote from: Tolvo on November 18, 2018, 07:18:34 AM
I think it's more a problem of it spreading wildly at a school, to most people it is harmless but to some it is incredibly dangerous and if it is so easily spreading unchecked that means there are some health issues going on and a lot of physical contact or spreading through other means. Which can be deadly for some individuals. Someone getting it or maybe a friend then getting it is no big deal but a ton of cases all at once is a bad sign.

Very much this.  And chicken pox - even a 'non-complicated' case - is still very uncomfortable.  I remember oatmeal baths and socks on my hands to keep me from scratching.  (I also remember that I'd caught it from my kid sister with such amazing timing that my 'don't go out in public' stage coincided with Christmas break.  Didn't miss any school!  >:( )

But why put your kid through that if you don't have to?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Tolvo

Well people do intentionally spread it so that kids have it when they're young and not as adults since it can be more dangerous to get it later if you've never had it before.

Oniya

Quote from: RedRose on November 18, 2018, 09:47:49 AM
Mmmm. I'm trying to remember if I ever witnessed tons of cases in one class. I don't think. I read of people exposing their children to sick neighbours but I don't have a personal memory of it being a thing.

Quote from: Tolvo on November 18, 2018, 12:05:53 PM
Well people do intentionally spread it so that kids have it when they're young and not as adults since it can be more dangerous to get it later if you've never had it before.

The 'pox parties' were pretty much going out of 'fashion' by the time I had it, although Wikipedia claims they were a thing until 1995 (when the vaccine was developed) because parents considered chicken pox 'inevitable.'  Mumps and measles parties were popular in the 1950s (the vaccine was developed in 1969) for a similar reason.

Tolvo

Ah I didn't know people didn't do them much anymore. When I grew up in the 90's and early 2000's they were still being done where I lived.

RedPhoenix

I had a broken leg and chicken pox at the same time. That was fun. >.<
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

RedRose

I was unable to find an English article, but basically those "gilets jaunes" are going crazy. They've managed to attack cops, homosexuals, blacks, journalists and force a Muslim woman to take off her veil, calling her a monkey. They corner a person or a car and go at it. Unfortunately there are videos to prove it. I have to go out today and just… urgh.

http://www.francesoir.fr/societe-faits-divers/aisne-des-gilets-jaunes-forcent-une-femme-musulmane-retirer-son-voile
https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/transports/prix-des-carburants/agression-homophobe-insultes-racistes-menaces-le-mouvement-des-gilets-jaunes-a-aussi-derape_3040609.html

Tolvo

Yikes that's pretty frightening. If the translate button is even slightly accurate that sounds pretty terrifying.

Also for Trans Awareness Week the Daily Mail has put out an article with one source who is just some person about how trans teenagers are "Grooming" other students and all sorts of other horrible accusations.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/11/18/mail-on-sunday-transgender-children-article/

RedRose

Gilet jaune fest is going on. Apparently many people belong to either extreme right or extreme left. It's certainly easier to annoy a girl on her own but I had no issue and there was only one check point, road block or whatever you call it, around. Why they are allowed to do so is another question.

Icelandic

Quote from: RedRose on November 19, 2018, 09:26:47 AM
Gilet jaune fest is going on. Apparently many people belong to either extreme right or extreme left. It's certainly easier to annoy a girl on her own but I had no issue and there was only one check point, road block or whatever you call it, around. Why they are allowed to do so is another question.

Isn't that stuff over a gas tax?

Please, do stay a while, and warm up my icy heart~.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

My main request thread. (Always open!)