Interest Check, AD&D 2nd Ed.

Started by Blinkin, February 18, 2015, 08:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

The Portal between Worlds, An AD&D 2nd Ed. Adventure.

It’s game night, and you’re in a hurry to get to the Student Union. Your GM, Professor Merdin has promised a new campaign that will “drag your heart, body and soul” into it’s heart. A step up from the usual exciting and entertaining sessions over the last few months that you have come to expect from the talented GM has you anxious to get to the session before it begins.

You are part of a table-top group of 5 university students (Age 17-22) who have been role-playing together, under the GM-ship of Professor A. Merdin, the head of the Archeology department of the university. Merdin, a gifted story-teller and GM has spun out tales, scenes and worlds in such vivid detail that you can almost see them in your mind and provided such an amazing adventure that you can’t think of anyone who has missed a session since you’ve joined the group. It’s been worth losing a Friday evening for the excitement of the experience.

As you enter the wood paneled room with it’s large, well used conference table, you see Professor Merdin already sitting in his usual seat, a battered briefcase that he uses as a GM screen open on the table. You take your usual seat and greet the other players; all of them familiar faces by now and if not real friends, you know them well enough to understand their style, taste and interest; even if you accidentally call one or two by their character names sometimes

As Professor Merdin lowers the lights in the room, you set out the tools of the trade. The carefully painted miniature of your character, the bag of dice and character sheet; the pencil and pad for notes… followed by whatever else you feel necessary for a night of gaming.

As you settle in, the battery operated candelabra comes to life from it’s place in the center of the table; the corners of the room fall into gloom. The only thing that you hear is the ticking of the old clock on the wall between two now dark paintings of former university presidents as everyone goes quiet and the stage is set.

“As promised,” Merdin’s deep baritone comes out of the darkness behind the briefcase, only his bright blue eyes seem to appear over it’s top, “Tonight, you embark on a new journey. An adventure unlike any that you have had before… one filled with unparalleled danger and unseen possibilities… if you’re strong enough… and smart enough to take them.” His voice, although low seems to fill the room in the same dramatic way that it
has each time since your first session; almost as if it were echoing up from a deep, dark tunnel. “You may continue to use these characters that you know so well, or create a new one. I would, however, suggest that you stay with the one that you know so well at this point.”

A voice pops up from the side of the table, “I’ll stick with this one, and I like him.” And then, “Do we want to order pizza now, or wait for a break?”

From another figure across from you, a soft whisper that no one could miss, “I snuck in beer.” Then a grin at Merdin, “you didn’t hear that Professor.” Followed by some chuckles.

Once the questions have been settled, Merdin continues, “When last we paused, you were camped for the night in the Forest of Everwood; your victory over the ogre raiders is now a heroic tale that will spread from the beleaguered village a few miles to the west to the surrounding countryside… Surely, your reputations will grow. “ A soft, almost menacing chuckle comes from the dark behind the battered case.

“The leafless branches of the winter-sleeping trees does nothing to hide the full red moon or stars above as you each slowly drift off into the sleep of the jus-“

“Umm, Professor…. Didn’t we set a watch? I think we set a watch.”

A soft, deep and somehow sinister voice comes from behind the briefcase, “Did you?” The player’s chuckle and Merdin looks about the gathered role-players, “Who is the victim, I mean guard this night?” The matter is quickly settled and the sound of a coke can being opened fills the silence a moment before Merdin continues,

“But, you awake to a different place. You are lying on a grassy hillside, laid out in a semi circle on your backs; a chilled, moist wind blows across your bare skin in a brisk, blustery wind as you stare up into a night sky filled with stars. The sounds of thunder booms in the distance. In spite of all of this, you feel warm, moist air about you… not far from where you lay are 3 large chest that appear to be bound with brass and made of a strange, dark wood.”

Even as Merdin’s baritone flows over you, you suddenly feel light headed as a sensation of vertigo washes over you and your stomach threatens to rebell only a moment before the world goes black…

What seems like years later, Your eyes open slowly, feeling incredibly heavy as you gaze up at a night sky filled with stars of every imaginable color… far, far too many stars… eclipsed by a red moon. A chilled breeze blows across your skin as the sounds of thunder come to you in the distance… you smell salt in the humid, warm air that caresses your bare skin… it’s at that moment that you realize that you’re naked and laying on a grassy hillside; 3 wooden chest lay a few yards away in a line in the grass. The brass fittings gleaming strangely in the reddish moonlight.

This is an interest check on an idea that I’ve tried twice before with modest success. If I get enough interest, and then enough characters after there’s enough interest from players who can devote themselves to the story, we’ll see what happens. No details at this point beyond the story concept. You are playing a college student who is a role-player. During a gaming session, your character is transported, via methods unknown to him or her, into the body of his fantasy character and the world in which he, or she, inhabits, for purposes yet unknown. The college students know each other fairly well, the fantasy characters know each other very well and can work together. MUST work together to survive and succeed at their task. Your real-world imagination has suddenly, irrestibly become reality in a way that may just kill you if you are unwary.

So, anyone interested?

Stage 1 can be found here.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Muse

*Pounce!* 

May I try again please? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Sure, why not.

Don't suppose you know how to do wealth for post 1st level characters, do you? It's the only thing I really don't have experience with.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Kythia

I'd like in.  Love 2nd Ed.

And - as a bribe for letting me in - I know how to do wealth.

Muse

Blinks at Kythia. 

You do?!?

How!?!

(I know the encyclopedia magica offers gold piece values for magic items.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

schnookums

If I were to apply again could I use my previous application or would I have to start from scratch?

Blinkin

Blackmail is such a dirty term, apt, but dirty. But, holding the information hostage will not secure a spot... on the other hand, if you were to share said information, I may look favorably upon your interest.

I don't remember the character Snuckums, refresh my memory. No promises, but we'll see what happens.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Kythia

Quote from: Muse on February 18, 2015, 04:05:22 PM
  Blinks at Kythia. 

You do?!?

How!?!

(I know the encyclopedia magica offers gold piece values for magic items.)

I meditated on top of a mountain for many years to become as one with the very primordial essence of 2nd Ed DnD.  Honestly, I was really beginning to regret it - you wouldn't believe how pissed off I was when 3rd Ed came out like two weeks later.  Looks like its paid off though.  Everything's coming up Kythia.

I'll dig the book out in the morning.  It's not where it should be.

Blinkin

Yeah, I was really, really disappointed with the disfunctionality of 3.0; all of those years learning the massive amount of data on 2nd and they totally dumped everything and just made magic-users supreme beings of the universe. *shrugs* I was really upset that they gutted my two favorite classes, Thieves and Rangers. *sighs*
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Kythia

Gotcha.

For 0 to 5,000 xp:
750 gp plus 200xp worth of disposable items/1,000 xp

For 5,001 to 10,000 xp:
1,000 gp plus 400 xp worth of disposable items/1,000 xp

And then it carries up, each 5,000 xp block giving +250 gp and + 200 xp of disposables per 1,000 xp.

That's based on an "average" DM, whatever the hell that means.  YMMV.

Also, what deities would you be using?

Mysterica

I've never played 2E, I started just a few years ago with 3.5 but I really like the idea of this game and would like to give it a shot.  I'll have to acquire the material, but that shouldn't prove to be too challenging.

Kythia

The core books are here, Mysterica.  All you really need is the PHB.

Blinkin

thanks for the scale. I'll have to do some deeper reading on EXP as the one thing I really wasn't fond off with 2nd ed was the different experience tables.

I usually just pick an exp total and say, "Whatever you can make with it." but I'm still working out details; that's why this is an interest check.

The standard group off gods and goddesses. Although we aren't playing in the Forgotten Realms, I find those to be the most well thought out and developed, so use them.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

I like a picked EXP total too, and I would like to offer applause for the Faerunian gods and goddesses. 

What pace are you hoping for, Blinkin? 

Blinkin

Pacing... I have always believed that "fast" and "Forums" have always had a disconnect in the minds of those who use forums. There is no such animal as a "fast" game in a forum. So, a "Fast" paced game is out.

What I think is reasonable, achievable and realistic is a steady and consistant posting rate for the players. Iff I can get 2 post a week out of every player, the story will progress well enough and keep things moving. if a players posting rate, in this particular game, drops to below once a week, I'll PM the player with a nudge. If a post does not appear within 3 days of that nudge... I'll NPC the chracter to keep things moving. 2 such events in a row and I'll write the character out of the story.

Of course, if someone drops me a note saying that they will not be able to post for a while, then I'll know and make arrangements to keep the character active.

Does that sound  too harsh or unreasonable to anyone?

I'll come up with a list of questions for anyone who wants to submit a character to answer for the college student; this will allow me to create sub-plots for individual players and add more interesting twist to the story. Anyone have issues with that?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Miroque

Is the game full already ? (seems kinda intresting consept.. )

Blinkin

This is only an interest check, no characters have been offered or selected. If there is enough interest to warrent moving forward, character concepts will be requested in a new thread and the selection process will begin at that point.

So, the game is not full and you are free to show interest.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Miroque

I show you mine, if you show me...  :) <is intrested>

Blinkin

Quote from: Miroque on February 19, 2015, 09:57:43 AM
I show you mine, if you show me...  :) <is intrested>

best offer I've had all day. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Green Goo Theory

Fuck yes.  I want into this.  I haven't played 2e in a while.
Coming soon...

Blinkin

I apologize for my delay in moving forward with this, I am having computer difficulties that is making the reading and response to post more difficult. Regardless, there seems to be enough interest so we will move on to stage 1: Character Concepts.

A link to this post will be added to the first post in this thread.

Because of the unusual set-up of this scenario, character creation will be a 3 step process. This is only step 1. Step 2 will involve actual AD&D character generation and step 3 will revolve around a party background. If you are not willing to do the steps, this game will not get off of the ground. Because of particular quirks of the setting, particular facets may be challenging to people thrown into a world equilivant to the mid-middle ages. While I am not saying to craft modern personalities who can function in the ancient times, some thought should be put into this element.

At this time, I am asking only for a character concept. As mentioned, this will be a multi-step process. The information requested below is only for the college student him/herself.

Name:
Sexual Orientation:
Major/Minor:
Personality:
Hobbies, interest and/or “things they like to do”: (List at least 5 items)
Fears, phobias and/or “Things that they don’t like”: (List at least 5)
Brief Background:
Tell me about the character that they play.:

Please answer the following questions as completely as you can. A “I don’t know,” or “Nothing.” Will not be acceptable answers. Dig deep and come up with something, please.

What, out side of self-defense, might push the character to take a life?

How does the character deal with stress and/or anxiety?

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith? (Note: I am not asking for specifics, only a broad viewpoint)

How deeply has the character gotten into the personality/life of their RPG character?

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in? (This can be an object, a code, a  interest, etc.)

Name one thing that the character will not abide (Remember, this is a 21st century person, so “Slavery” will not fit without some considerable explaining)

Name one thing that the character fears beyond all others.

I intend to craft sub-plots for individual characters tailored to the character's strengths, weaknesseses and interest, so answers and information is important to this process. further questions may come up as we move onward and your cooperation is appreciated.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Miroque

Name: Amiko Uzekawa
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Straight, Virgin (unsure of herself on sexual matters)
Major/Minor: Computer Sciences (major), Social Scienses (minor)
Personality: Over achiever
Hobbies, interest and/or “things they like to do”: Jui-Jitsu, Computer Games, Chess, Roleplaying, Cosplaying
Fears, phobias and/or “Things that they don’t like”: Fear of failure, lazy people, people better that herself,
Angering her parents, Arraged marriage
Brief Background: Amiko is an child prodigy in math, and her parrents have been pushing her to over achieve on everything and anything. Her father is wellknown jui-jitsu master and her mother is home living traditional japanise housewife life. Amiko never really had childhood in traditional sense, as there was always things she was to do. School, sports, this and that, basicly dance to her parrents tune, but when she entered college and moved out from her parents house, she found freedom. Computer games had been her way ´out´from the ratrace before, but now, roleplaying club offered imagination and freedom computer games never did, and she was hooked. She became an addict of sort. Her over achiever attitude made her quite annoying at times, when she knew every rulebook and such, but her quiet upbringing made her modest player, always listening her clubmates ideas and balancing the right ways to do things. She knows her parents have made an arraged marriage to her after she turns 19, she is to marry son of an wealthy japanise-american family and secure her future, but force herself into housewise status. Something she dreads.

Tell me about the character that they play.: Magic wielding mystic, that solves problems with spells, intelligence and strength of arms. (Female Fighter/Mage Drow Elf)

Losing face. She is boiling inside.

Sulking and go silent. Trying to find ways out of the stressful situation.

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith?
Not very religious. Approves the Shintoism values, but dont practice any faith.

How deeply has the character gotten into the personality/life of their RPG character?
To extremes. Amiko would have mapped out every nook and cranny of her characters background. (being over achiever and all)

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in?
To success no matter the odds. Failure is not an option.

Name one thing that the character will not abide?
To be dismissed and to be ridiculed.

Failure.

Green Goo Theory

I will get to working on this as soon as I get home.  Just posting from my phone to indicate that I am still interested. 
Coming soon...

Muse

*Smiles* 

Hi Miroque.  Quite the tiger-mother Amiko seems to have.  I'm curious if her family made their money at Jiu'jutsu, or if her father is just dedicated enough to his hobby that he got VERY good.  Was she pressured into music lessons on top of everything else?  :) 

Name: Jacey Talia “J.T.” Kirk

Sexual Orientation: Bisexual

Major/Minor: Creative Writing/Humanities

Distinguishing Features/Marks: Waves of silky golden brown hair, kiss me lips, sweet brown eyes, and a hard but curvy body make J.T. look  more like a cosplay model than a normal gamer when she goes out of her way to look sharp.  She was once mistaken for one at a con, and has been blushing about it ever since. 

Noteworthy Skills: Academically rounded, bilingual (English and Spanish), martial arts, skater. 

Background and personality: J.T.’s parents were divorced--messily--while she was still in the womb, but she was raised by her father David from the age of 3.  David suffered from bouts of depression but he was serious about staying medicated.  He was gentle hearted and responsible and loved his daughter very much.  Having a child to care for proved to be very good for him and he cared for her as best as he could. 
   Having a dependent upped David’s welfare check.  He supplemented that meager income by writing and self-publishing pen and paper roleplaying games and fantasy novels.  As J.T. grew more self reliant, they took martial arts together.  As badly as he struggled to make it otherwise, J.T. took as much care of David as he took of her, but he still gave J.T. a pleasant childhood environment.  J.T. got along very well with her father--most of the time.  His keen interest in her life gave her a personal tutor to help with her studies and someone to take martial arts with.  She joined his table top RPG group when she was old enough, and they vegged out with video games together. 
   When J.T. found herself chafing under the constant attention from an authority figure, she would take her skateboard and her cellular phone down to the park.  Most of her friends her own age were skaters.  (A few stoners included.  She didn’t smoke, but she didn’t rat them out either, so they got along.)  Her father’s smothering did affect her relationships with boys--and girls--quite a bit though.  So far she’s not had more than a few kisses with the boys who’ve interested her.  Until recently she had a girlfriend and innocently explored a bit further with her. 
   J.T. has now graduated and been accepted into Cal Tech.  Concern for leaving her father alone has made her decide to delay college a year.  She worked hard this summer as a cashier at Gamestop--a pretty face and bright smile can do a lot to get you a hotly contested job. 

Will be playing:
   Being a pen and paper gamer first and foremost, she’s put a lot of thought into her character.  She has several pictures of her character, some done by her father, others commissioned from professional and semi-professional artists. 

Having studied martial arts from a young age, J.T. takes violence very seriously.  She knows  how fragile a human being can be, how to harm and how to subdue.  JT has had a few occasions too hold a bully or outraged classmate on the ground with in an arm lock 'til the school authorities arrived to take things in hand—both in her own defense and that of others. 
   As a gamer, J.T. has given thought to what is worth fighting for.  She has read Freud's social philosophies and agrees with the general principle that in the jungle life is brutal, ugly and quick.  In order to gain the benefits of civilized society, certain inclinations—such as vigilante justice and revenge—must be sacrificed. 
   That doesn't change the fact that she doesn't like to see innocents suffer.  In the schoolyard, J.T. Fought with her fists and her skills to put and end to petty cruelty.  In the jungle, she may well find that she's more than willing to fight with her sword to protect against the same. 

J.T.'s best way of dealing with a bad day is to go for a long skate.  She finds comfort in the sound of concrete beneath her wheels.   She finds clarity—and a vent for pent up adrenaline—in lip tricks, slides, and grinds. 
   After a while of this, she likes to snuggle up in bed with a few plushies and a good fantasy novel. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skateboarding_trick

Does the character have a religious belief system? How strong/weak is that faith?
   J. T. is spiritually inclusive and nominally Episcopalian.  While going to church as a child didn't do much for her—God is on the night wind and in the human imagination, not in hymns and prayers—she had found attending the Episcopal student ministry to be an enlightening and spiritual experience.  She gets to socialize with intelligent and creative people, sci fi, philosophy, religion, and football.  She finds it both academically uplifting and a way to make God's presence felt in her own life. 
   J. T. is especially appreciative of the Book of Common Prayer for New Zeland. 

Is there anything that the character places particular importance in? (This can be an object, a code, a  interest, etc.)

Name one thing that the character will not abide. 
   Bullies, book burning, and prejudice. 

Long term loss of her physical or mental facilities. 

Muse

I hope that wasn't too much, Blinkin. 

Would you allow the Faiths of Faerun trilogy for use in this game?  I think that J.T.'s spiritual awakening in college might inspire her to play a priestess.