News:

Main Menu

Walking Dead

Started by Kaizen, November 06, 2010, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeonSolidor

I like a show mainly about character development. The fact that it is not about a family or a group of friends, is a plus to me.  I really liked the fourth epiosode.  :-)

Jag

"What did you do before this?"

"Delivered pizza...why?"

Glenn is so adorable. ^___^ I'm glad he hasn't died yet.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Shjade

Quote from: Michi No Sora on November 23, 2010, 09:11:28 AM
"What did you do before this?"

"Delivered pizza...why?"

Glenn is so adorable. ^___^ I'm glad he hasn't died yet.
I would say "he should be alive for a long time," but since they're already taking some pretty wide deviations from the comics I suppose that isn't really a sure thing.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

MasterMischief

I thought the fourth episode was the best yet.

Star Safyre

From my limited experience with zombie/slasher films, I learned that characters should NEVER have sex, run blinding, or go to the bathroom.

After watching the first two happen without gory horrific deaths resulting, I let my guard down.  Never again...
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Inkidu

Quote from: LeonSolidor on November 23, 2010, 03:17:36 AM
I like a show mainly about character development. The fact that it is not about a family or a group of friends, is a plus to me.  I really liked the fourth epiosode.  :-)
Yeah, but it's like they threw the zombies in for varnish. I want more zombies.
Though watching this show has made he realize why it hasn't been attempted before. Zombies do not lend themselves well to serial viewing. Movies fine, games fine, hell they even made Pride and Prejudice readable for me; just not in a T.V. show I guess.

The problem is it's pretty much a bad idea to have character development where people are supposed to be human tic-tacs. Now I like seeing beloved and invested characters bite the big one, but A and B T.V. viewer typically don't go for that. I foresee some predictable dying patterns emerging.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MasterMischief

The problem is it's pretty much a bad idea to have character development on any t.v. show or movie.  More boobs and explosions please.  kthxbai   ::)

Yeah, you are probably right.  It will probably get cancelled halfway through next season.

Star Safyre

I don't think the zombies are so much thrown in as their purpose in the story has changed drastically.  During the initial few episodes, especially when Rick was traveling alone, the zombies acted as antagonists.  Now they just seem to blend into the milieu.

MasterMischief

How fortuitous, I just stumbled upon this picture.

Jag

I like the character development. I agree with Star, I don't think they zombies are just thrown in. They serve their purpose. How much fun would it be to watch a bunch of zombies trudge around an empty city for an hour and catch maybe a stray dog here and there? Unless it was like that zombie love letter comic strip...
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Callie Del Noire

This is after the big die off remember? Folks who are alive know the rules and what to do/not do to draw the attention of the walkers. They, mostly, lay low and scavenge. (Me, I'd be looking for a few police/sherrif stations though)

Inkidu

I think some people missed the point. Of course there are going to be characters and inevitably character development but it seems the zombies swiftly took a back seat to the characters. It shouldn't be characters defining themselves through hardship and struggle. It should be struggle and hardship against zombies that forges people.

Seriously. I have not seen one onscreen missed shot. Everything they do is golden in the end. I haven't seen one person fuck up or drop the ball (zombie-wise). Plus people are screwing all over the place. That just screams to me. Lets make a melodrama and stick zombies in it. Zombies are the new vampires!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Pellafin

Does anyone else think that Daryl should be using a Irish Brogue. And saying a Prayer with Big guns.
Arkady Duvall: You! I don't believe it!
Jonah Hex: Guess I'm just a bad penny.
Arkady Duvall: Why are you doing this?
Jonah Hex: Because I don't like you.

Star Safyre

Quote from: Pellafin on November 28, 2010, 07:38:42 AM
Does anyone else think that Daryl should be using a Irish Brogue. And saying a Prayer with Big guns.

We want him to ask, "What you need fucking _____ for?"

Bubbles

Decides to drop by.. :o

I saw that they wanna make it a TV show ^^ a friend of mine recommended me a site where I can watch it online xD [since I can't dl >.> damn DL speed] T.T  :-\ with me being a big fan thing..and the Z's :P

I was expecting for this to watch..since  very long time, but never got the chance nor the time..until now : D haha!  I will come back with a better comment at least, after I see 1 episode.
A/AO/O's
No more RP's.I am swamped for now.

Marguerite

I still hate the partner and I am waiting to watch the recent episode tonight. I hated what he has done and what he is doing behind the back of his supposed best friend.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Bubbles

I am with you Marg. >.> Shane still did what he did to his best friend's wife..I am thinking if he really regrets it now that Rick is back.I'm at epsd.4 now, things are looking interesting so far ^.^
-still curious how things will develop from now on.. :P
A/AO/O's
No more RP's.I am swamped for now.

Bentley

I'm watching it now. Unless my ears decieved me, they borrowed some music from the 28 Weeks Later soundtrack. This amuses me.

Marguerite

Again, still hating the partner and almost at the end of tonight's episode.

Bentley

I know I said that I didn't mind how things were going and whatnot, but I don't know now. Scientist guy is like Standard Zombie Media Character #5. I'll wait and see what happens with him next week though.

Callie Del Noire

I like that fact that you see the partner start to melt down. He's still a tool though.

Marguerite

Hopefully the tool is dead by the last episode next Sunday.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on November 23, 2010, 09:34:05 PM
I think some people missed the point. Of course there are going to be characters and inevitably character development but it seems the zombies swiftly took a back seat to the characters. It shouldn't be characters defining themselves through hardship and struggle. It should be struggle and hardship against zombies that forges people.

Seriously. I have not seen one onscreen missed shot. Everything they do is golden in the end. I haven't seen one person fuck up or drop the ball (zombie-wise). Plus people are screwing all over the place. That just screams to me. Lets make a melodrama and stick zombies in it. Zombies are the new vampires!
I suspect you'd feel differently about this if zombies were at the forefront of the show. All zombies all the time gets old real quick. Think about horror movies that show their main monster all the time compared to the ones who only bring it out to actually do something. There's more impact behind their appearances if they aren't just constantly around.

That and trying to separate the characters "defining themselves through hardship and struggle" without including that what they're struggling against is the zombie apocalypse seems like cutting hairs pretty thin. They ARE struggling with hardships caused by zombies; part of that struggle is trying to stay the hell away from zombies whenever possible because not being detected by the endless shambling dead is Step 1 of Not Getting Dead.

All that aside, the show seems to be treating zombies much the same way the comic did: they're tidal. There are times when it's just jesus zombies everywhere for long stretches of panic mode, then there are long stretches of relative quiet when the survivors managed to get out of range of the horde and can lay low in something resembling safety for a while. If there hasn't been much zombie activity in a while you can pretty much bet that there will be a lot of it coming up soon, or some other equally violent conflict. It's pacing.

That and the title may be a little misleading. "The Walking Dead" doesn't just refer to the zombies, after all.

I can see your point, I just disagree. ^.^
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Envious

Quote from: Bentley on November 29, 2010, 12:41:10 AM
I'm watching it now. Unless my ears decieved me, they borrowed some music from the 28 Weeks Later soundtrack. This amuses me.

It tickled me too. I don't know if it's 28 theme, but it does sound like they took it and made it their own which I've seen happening a lot in zombie movies nowadays. I approve of it, though.

As for the show, I like it. The chance to see characters develop during the zombie apocolypse is interesting. In movies they have the boy meets zombie, boy kills zombie, boy survives, the end. They're good, but they could be so much better. The show hasn't really captured me to the fullest yet, but I enjoy it.

Oniya

Just dropping by with a tidbit that fans of the show might appreciate:

Modeling of a Zombie Epidemic (SCIENCE!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17