Firefly/Serenity BASED RP -- interest check!

Started by Flaming Dead Man, May 27, 2012, 06:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaming Dead Man

If you PM a GM, please do so to us both at the same time.  Will be easier to make sure you are answered in a timely fashion.  Just make sure both Flaming Dead Man and Sparrowhawke are in your 'to' section.

Go here!
>>Cortex Information Thread<<
Please visit the above link if you decide to create a character.  Information is accurate, there.  Only refer to this thread for the information not yet provided in the Cortex.

Prospective Characters
Correct me if I was wrong, and don't feel as if you're limited by these.  The point of this is only to show you who to contact for a potential crew member and to help show what Is yet needed.

Alliance Military Man - NiceTexasGuy
Captain - Sparrowhawke
Captain - Reia
Companion - Sparrowhawke
Companion - metamorphize
Doctor - Angel Eros
Mercenary - meowpiepanda
Pilot 'or' Mechanic - CrazyIvan
Pilot 'or' Mechanic - metamorphize
Pilot/Mercenary - Flaming Dead Man
SiC - LtFox

Current Crews/Ships
If you would like a ship, PM a mod.

Halethena - Jaxien (Captain, Sparrowhawke), Zomistio (Pilot, Flaming Dead Man)

This is just an interest check, for the time being!

We're deriving from the actual Serenity RPG book for mechanics and some details, though we also want to make it our own.  Some new planets and moons may be created and each will have a major city or well-known hub at which to congregate.  We're still unsure if the canon characters will be available or not.

Ships (of which there will be a few to choose from) will be available through in-game RP.  Money must be earned to make any purchases and a system will be devised for this.  Ships will be obtained through means such as theft, bartering, auctions, or buying strait from the manufacturer.  Repairs will need to be made and having a decent crew is recommended.

You can choose between the Alliance or the Independents and a number of occupations will be available on either side, and some neutral.  The more familiar being captains, pilots, mechanics, mercenaries, doctors, and various military ranks.  Playing a Reaver *may* become available, though at this point only though in-game play; Reavers will otherwise be played by GMs or as NPCs.

We do intend to put a lot of work in, so the game may take a while to begin.  I expect that once development is far enough ahead, we'll allow a sort of 'beta' in which you'll be allowed to begin building your character's reputation, plotting, etc.  We're anxious to start, but we do want to make sure it's well enough thought out so that it lasts.

We currently expect the game to be placed in the extremes forum due to Reaver activity, but also intend to keep this much in a separate thread.  Vanilla to extreme is welcomed, though we also hope to see this game focus much more on the plot, drama, tragedies, etc. than the sex aspects.

We intend to tally bounties, so bringing in a criminal will be a good way for an aspiring mercenary or prospective captain to earn cash!  We (as GMs) intend to play various dealers and such to offer jobs around the galaxy, some of which may pit your character against others in the form of competition.  Many GM made characters will be hunted for bounty or otherwise, and we don't intend to make them all easy targets.  :)

'Real' dangers will be posed as you pass through Reaver territory or a group of Reavers decides to invade a town; you'll be expected to kill or outsmart them before they do you!  Plenty of opportunity will be given to avoid or escape the confrontations; we don't want to kill off player characters unless permission is given, though rape and mutilation may still be a strong factor.  If dice rolls fail and you're desperate to keep your character alive, we'll find a way to come to the rescue!

I think that's all I've got for information, at the moment (I still have to look through the book, myself) but more will be added as things develop.

This is all subject to change as it is built on and suggestions are made!

Feel free to PM or ask questions here.

Edits!
- Well, the book provides a nice description of each planet, so we'll likely just go from this.  We'll start with just a few of them, then expand as we go.

- Ships will each have their own thread; this will help to keep it organized.  Reaver activity will be limited to 'invasions' and the like.  If we can manage to get the allowance for enough threads, they will also have their own for any lovely torturing and such.  I'd much prefer to keep the more extreme stuff separate from the rest, though non-con and should be allowed throughout.

- Considering starting a wiki or similar for detailed game information...

Some concepts for you to chew on and hopefully offer some contributions to!

- How the use of other languages (particularly Chinese, for obvious reasons) should be handled in posts.
Wanderings (Updated 2013.08.21.)
(Check this forum for the posting list, as well.)

Partner Search Thread (Updated 2013.08.21.)

metamorphize

This sounds awesome! Like, my fangirl self is nerding out so hard right now. Count me in.

Flaming Dead Man

Good, that's what we were hoping for!  :P

Really surprised this isn't already a thing!

metamorphize

It'll be interesting if you get a lot of people and have multiple crews hanging about. Ohh the possibilities..

Flaming Dead Man

I'm indecisive about having multiple characters per player...  Thinking that if it is a possibility, it would be limited and the characters would have to be of different factions/crews, but it may be necessary if not too many people take interest.  I suspect myself and the other GM will have a full load on us for a while after we start.  xD

Suiko

- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -

Flaming Dead Man

Glad to see there's already some interest!  :D

Already working on a few of the details, though it's largely just stuff from the book at this point.

If y'all are already considering a character, try to think of your individual qualities; what you have to contribute to a ship is important, but not everything.  I think things will go smoother and allow for some dynamics and realism (for example, firing your character from a crew, for some reason) if they're more diverse than 'just a pilot'.  So, someone who's got some epic piloting skills, perhaps, but he has an official occupation of something else.  This is just a scenario and not necessary, of course.  :P

/random thoughts

Flaming Dead Man

MezzaNotte

Most definitely interested; I've made characters for PG-13 versions of this before, so it would be interesting to play a more... exciting version.

My inner (and outer) geek is so happy right now. >>

Bobbacca

I'm very much interested.  I do not, however, own a copy of the Serenity RPG book and am not familiar with the rules.  My experience with system RPGs is pretty much limited to 3.5 and Pathfinder, and my understanding is the Serenity RPG doesn't use the d20 system.  Will we be briefed on the rules, or do I already need to know this particular system / have a copy of the rulebook to play?
"Well, I can be them probably as well as I can be you.  And of course, you can be you better than I can be you.  But if you're them and I'm you, everyone is thinking outside the box." -Tycho Celchu, Rebel Dream

Flaming Dead Man

No worries.  It won't be strict and the system we're using will be posted once it's tailored down.  Most actions will be based on conversation between players; the system will largely be used only when combating NPCs and the like.  Of course, it will be available to those who wish to use the system versus conversation.  :P

Necessary details as far as ships, planets, and the like are still being worked out, though I'm certainly making progress.  ^^

Thanks for asking!

Bobbacca

"Well, I can be them probably as well as I can be you.  And of course, you can be you better than I can be you.  But if you're them and I'm you, everyone is thinking outside the box." -Tycho Celchu, Rebel Dream

Flaming Dead Man

Haha, welcome aboard!

I've got a finished profile and I'll be posting it to the other profile post in a moment...  E seems to think that my 666th post should be problematic.  xD  It's a bit scrawny -- was in a bit of a rush to get it out -- but hopefully it will give everyone a better idea of what we're expecting.  Additions to inventory should be updated on occasion (doesn't have to be constant, but it's a helpful reminder to everyone) as well as current credits.

I think I mentioned before that Captains will be in charge of regulating who gets what and how much within their crew.  Otherwise, it's up to the player to make some cash looting or through an NPC boss.  Occupations and pay and all that will be offered shortly.  I have it written out, I just have to get it typed up on this tiny iPad.  ^^'

This first profile is the mini that is expected to exist in all IC posts to help make finding and tagging a little easier.

NiceTexasGuy

I'm definitely interested. 

Wanting to play a minor character though -- not a ship's captain, a former Parliamentary operative, an escapee from the Academy, or the baddest sniper in the 'verse from a leading crime family.  And while I'd make a great doctor, I don't figure we'd see a full-fledged doctor or Registered Companion on every two-bit freelance cargo ship in the 'verse.  I figure instead of making up a character then seeing where he might fit, someone putting together a crew can let me know what's needed - a mechanic, a pilot, a chef, etc, and I'll see if I can oblige them.

Sound okay?
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Flaming Dead Man

That sounds wonderful!  I'd very much prefer things go this way, actually.  Obviously, a few will have to step up and make a captain or some such, but I'm definitely looking for characters that earn a history with their crew.  I want them found by accident or commissioned.  :P

CrazyIvan

I am up for this, I am actually in a serenity game on another forum site and love the game, and also just recently rewatched the entire series. I would be interested in a captain role and the owning of a ship.

1) A woman that has spent her entire life in life surrounded by hardship. Some seen her as a bad omen, but she is a wiz with anything mechanical. Give her a broken machine and she can fix it using a box of scraps. She might have actually done that once when she was younger. She will do what is necessary, but hides her past and is hard to get close too. Any ship with her on it won't every fail, due to mechanical problems, and she would be deeply invested in it, both money wise and time. [mechanic concept, my favorite and one I want also might work for a captain]

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Elizabeth Rose
Nickname: Liz [what she commonly goes by]
Title: None
Concept: Mechanical wiz hidden in the rough
Profession: Mechanic [Engineer]

Sex: Female
Height: 5' - 6"
Weight: 112lbs
Hair Color: Red
Eye Color: Green

Optional Notes
Favorite Hobbies: Cooking, absolutely loves to cook; Singing, humming a tune now and then; and taking care of her pet dog, Lass which she has on board the ship.
Quote: n/a

Attributes
STR d4
AGI d6
VIT d8
ALE d8
INT d12
WIL d10

Derived Attributes
Life Points            18
Initiative            d8  + d6
Burst of Strength     d4  + d4
Endurance             d8  + d10
Get out of Harms Way  d6  + d8
Long Haul             d4  + d8
Memorize              d8  + d12
Recall                d12 + d10
Resistance            d8  + d8

Skills and Specialties
Animal Handling          d4
Athletics                d6
-Dodge                   d8
Covert                   d4
Craft                    d6
-Cooking                 d8
Discipline               d6
-Leadership              d8
Guns                     d6
-Pistols                 d8
Influence                d6
Mechanical Engineering   d6
-Maintenance             d10
-Repair                  d12
Perception               d4
Performance              d6
Pilot                    d4
Survival                 d2
Technical Engineering    d4

Assets
Leadership (-4): +2 to a goal once per session and can spend plot points on others to accomplish it.
Friends in Low Places (-2): Can spend plot points to get a favor or a loan, though they may also request favors of me.
Math Wiz (-2): +2 to intelligence rolls when numbers are involved and require quick calculations.
Steady Calm (-2): +2 to will to resist fear, interrogation, or other such effects.
Alluring (-2): +2 to persuasion, seduction, negotiation, and winning contests based on looks

Complications
Credo (+4): "No matter what, a crewman is never left behind."
Deadly Enemy (+2):
Loyal (+2): "The crew is my family, and I am loyal to them as such."
Memorable (+2): She is easier to point out in a crowd due to her beauty, +2 to alertness checks to find her.
Things Don't go Smooth (+2): Once per session the GM can make me reroll one roll and force me to take the lower of the two rolls.

Reputation. Famous Acts, & Glories
not quite sure what to put here...

Equipment

Credits: 296

Tools Section
Name           |  cost  | Quantity |                Description                  |
Fire Jelly     | 0.2 ea |    5     |8" tall can that can be ignited and burned   |
Garden Section | -----  |    1     |A section of the ship for the 4 garden bunks |
-> Garden Bunks| 18  ea |    3     |Allows the growing of plants on the ship     |
Gun Vac Case   | 2.6 ea |    4     |One for each gun that she owns               |
Gun Cleaning   | 2.4 ea |    1     |Allows her to clean her gun and knives       |
Patch Tape     | 1.2 ea |    5     |10 yards of tape that can seal vac suits     |
PurificationCry| 0.4 ea |    5     |A pack of 20 each purifying 1 gallon of H2O  |
Trash Inciner  | 7.4    |    1     |Her cabin holds one personal incinerator     |

Foods Section
Name           |  cost  | Quantity |                Description                  |
Fine Wine      | 6.4    |    1     |One case of 12 bottles of fine wine          |
Fresh Food     | 8   ea |    2     |Two weeks of personal fresh food             |
Luxury Food    | 2   ea |    6     |6 units of luxury food for a treat           |
Spice, Normal  | 2   ea |    2     |To spice up her own personal food, 1/2lbs ea |
Spice, Rare    | 5   ea |    6     |Special spices when she needs them, 5oz ea   |

Armor Section
Riot Gear      |  92    |    1     |3W, -1Agi/-1Ale, only used in a few cases    |
Plate Vest     |  30    |    1     |4W, -1Agi, can be hidden and worn sometimes  |
Squad Helm     |  35    |    1     |4W, -2Ale, something she keeps around        |
NBC Body Suit  |  32    |    1     |2W, -2Agi/-2Ale, stops environmental effects |
Ballistic Mesh |  46    |    1     |1W, hidden and worn when just out and about  |

Weapon Section
Utility Knife  | 0.8    |    1     |d2 W, never uses it as a weapon it is a tool |
Rifle Sonic    | 140    |    1     |d8 S, used when she wants to stun range 10'  |
Submachine gun | 36     |    1     |d6 W, range 60' standard weapon of choice    |
Pistol         | 18     |    1     |d6 W, range 100' standard sidearm            |

Computer Section
Cortex Terminal| 150    |    1     |A private one that can save things to it     |
Data Book      | 30     |    1     |A device that can read data disks            |
Data Disk      | 0.2 ea |    5     |Little disks full of data or can be          |
Data Library   | 22.8   |    1     |5.7 a year for access to the library         |
Encyclopedia   | 60     |    1     |Data access to the encyclopedia              |

Communications Section
Micro Transmit | 8      |    1     |A small communications device                |
Ship-linked Com| 3.2    |    1     |A device allowing her to talk to the ship    |

Engineering Section
CAD Board      | 27.2   |    1     |Display board for designs                    |
Cutting Torch  | 4      |    1     |Used for cutting through metal               |
Scrap Ware     | 5      |    1     |Random pieces of scrap used for repairing    |
"Sticky" Gel   | 2 ea   |    2     |Gel that can be placed on metal for cutting  |
Basic Tool Kit | 14.4   |    1     |A basic set of tools for her room            |

Newtech Section
Syndicate Gun  | 540    |    1     |d8W, range 100', 35 clip, silenced, pistol   |

History
Liz grew up a poor child on the edges of the fringe world. Her father left her when she was still a baby and never knew him, only stories from his mom. That he was a brave man that went to help a cause that was bigger then most. That he left his family not out of hatred, but love and not wanting to see them hurt. She had no brothers and sisters growing up and the only company she had most of the time was her mind.

Due to where she was born she never had a truly proper education, beyond a certain point, but she had an amazing drive to learn more and read whatever she could find. She was gifted at a young age with a curiosity and thirst for knowledge of anything mechanical. She loved to take things apart and put them together again in interesting ways. The junkyard was her play group and the machine shops her true school in a way.

She wasn't always the strongest child either, she was healthy, but was physically strong. She never focused much on her physical muscles, more on her mental ones. Bad luck also haunted her at any age, but she always seemed to pull through in the end. It made other kids a bit less likely to play with her as she was something of a black sheep.

As she grew older she grew into a beautiful woman, despite her poor upbringing, and had to begin to take care of her mother. When she was in her early teens her mother grew very ill and required expensive medication to treat. She couldn't find any job or doctor that would help her in anyway, so she had no choice but to work for the syndicate. From a young age she showed herself to be loyal and a potential leader, the head at the time, took note of her and helped her out.

It wasn't the best life living by smuggling, helping repair things, and even doing the dirty job now and then, but she was getting by and so was her mother. Though he bad luck was catching up with her again as this bright moment in her dark childhood came to an end. The head that had watched over her and even giving her a signature gun, a new tech laser pistol with elegant markings, signifying she was truly one of them was killed by the next in line. Causing a blood internal war between the syndicate members and a split of the syndicate. Most sided with the new head and it grew to take over most of the old holdings, as well as hunt down those that were apart of the other side. The losing side went into hiding, joined other syndicates, formed their own, or did their own thing, but remained close. They still hope for the day when they can reclaim the old ways.

Liz saw it as a chance though to get out and ran, trying to take her mother with her, but the new head had already gotten to her. The new head knew how talented Liz was and wanted her to stay and still hunts for her and has her mother. Liz still keeps in contact with the old group and does help them from time to time and they help her as well as look for a way to get her mother back. She know owns a ship, or at least part of one, and tends to the engine of and the crew looking for a way to get her mother back, make ends meet, and travel space looking for adventure.

Known to crew
Liz is a shorter woman, though not by much, standing at just over 5 foot 6 inches. She has long red hair, like her mother, that is often tied back when she works and emerald green eyes. She has a slight tan from either the heat of metal working or from outing on the ship exterior well on a planet too long. She is fairly light and not that physically strong, but she has a quick wit and a strong will.

She is a genius when it comes to repairing anything mechanical or even technical. She is loyal to those she calls friends and is willing to go to any means to protect them. She keeps most of her past very close to her chest, even when it rears its nasty face. She doesn't want to get others involved in her problems and put more people in danger. So not that much is known about her younger days just that she grew up on the fringe worlds and did what she had to in order to survive.

She has a very determined and calm personality, but can be very caring when around only her friends. She enjoys cooking, and helps to or makes the meals when she can. Occasionally one can also her humming or faint singing from the engine room when she is working back there.

2) A bit of an up tight character, one that is used to getting what she wants, and willing to do almost anything to get it. She has a way with words and reading people that allowed her to get ahead in life, so why is she here why on the ship now. Well you will have to play and find out. [Socialite concept, could work for a captain]

3) An ex commander in the military, whether forced too leave or left of his own choice is unknown. All that is known is he is a great leader and willing to put the mission and his crew above all else. [kinda of captain concept and least worked out.]

still working on flushing out the others as well if that one doesn't work out. I also will be without internet till the 30th, rather off and on, so I don't know how much I can post so just thought I would get a lot of work out of the way now.

Flaming Dead Man

The nice thing about this concept is that you can join at any time.  :D

I'm also a bit wary about starting too many people off with a ship.  I've got a lot of fleshing out to do, yet, so there's time to figure all that out.  ^^ Feel free to converse amongst yourselves regarding crews and such, though.  :)

Zomi's up to showing off his piloting skills, as soon as I manage to fix his history.

CrazyIvan

Well I thought of a few ways my character could get one if I choose the mechanic role. One she had her friends in the syndicate help her out and give her a loan of sorts to buy a junker ship she can repair, which would give you some plot hooks. Two that she stole one for a run down manufacturer and is now on the run with it. Lastly that she bought a beat up old junker and has been slowly repairing it and making trying to get it to work over the last few years and just now got it to work.

The other ones once I flush them out also might work, I am also thinking of adding one more concept which is a solo bounty hunter type character that specializes in bringing in bounties and doing mission's that no one else would really want.

Sparrowhawke

Jeez, I go to sleep, then to work, and you've already done half the gorram roleplay. What was I needed for again? =P

Flaming Dead Man

Moral support.  :P  <3

Now go make me some NPCs!

Marie Reynolds

I would like to jump in on this maybe as a second in command type or fence type of character.

Sparrowhawke

Ok, Well, I have Shavvy as my Companion, can't help myself.

Jax being my mercenary

And apparently a whole bunch of NPCs, yay.

Flaming Dead Man

-Gnaws on the NPCs.  And Loopy, too, 'cause he deserves it.-

I'm gonna stick with just the one character, for now...

May add a mechanic or 'mad scientist' at some point, though this would be down the line.

And, Sparrow, save some NPCs for me!  o^o

Flaming Dead Man

Right now, it looks like these will be our threads:
- Character Sheets
- Cortex Ring (Informational Thread)
- OOC/Navigation
- Ariel (core)
- Bernadette (core)
- Bellerophen (border)
- Persephone (border)
- Greenleaf (rim)
- Ezra (rim)

Possible/when necessary threads:
- Jiangyin (rim)
- Reavers (for Reaver territory and ships)
- Private ship threads
- Smut thread
If anyone has any quarrels or suggestions, don't hold them back!

Suiko

- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -