The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far eyes

No idea literally the only thing i know about Aqua man is he can get a fast cup of water, and its a WB movie so its going to be all grumpy and serious business

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

SapphireStar

There is a rumor hitting the web that another character is potentially being added to the third Wolverine movie. Rumor is that they may be adding X-23. Boyd Holbrook has been cast as the main villain, but they are not revealing who.

It was reported that they would be adding Cyborg to the Aquaman movie.

TheGlyphstone

..what is CYBORG doing in an AQUAMAN movie? Aren't expensive and fragile cybernetics kind of the opposite of anything you want to be taking underwater? (And if the Aquaman movie doesn't have a large portion of its runtime underwater somehow, it'll be unsalvagable).

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 21, 2016, 01:45:18 AM
..what is CYBORG doing in an AQUAMAN movie? Aren't expensive and fragile cybernetics kind of the opposite of anything you want to be taking underwater? (And if the Aquaman movie doesn't have a large portion of its runtime underwater somehow, it'll be unsalvagable).

Normally I'd agree, but he's supposedly built up with Apokolips technology which might not have that flaw. Still, though...that doesn't inspire confidence moving forward if they can't promote a movie without high-level cameos.

I'd like to see how the Aquaman movie works, though. I'm curious to see how CGI technology has evolved to the point where they can make a good 30-45 minutes of the runtime (assuming 120 minutes total) be of combatants suspended in water. I know they're remaking the Little Mermaid (but not a Disney venture, from what I gather) so I'm even more curious to see that and how it will work. Mainly I'm thinking if Marvel ever decides to do a Namor movie, they'll benefit from letting these other two come out first, show them what works and what doesn't, and let Marvel take the best approach to their own underwater superhero.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Doesn't Fox hold the rights to Namor?

Apparently, Iron Man/Robert Downey Jr. will be appearing in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Far eyes

Maybe he will be there to punch Spider Teenager in the back of the head if he ever starts whining  XD

What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Far eyes on April 22, 2016, 05:02:11 AM
Maybe he will be there to punch Spider Teenager in the back of the head if he ever starts whining  XD

Ha! Now I can't help but imagine Tobey Maguire starting to cry before being Gibbs Slapped to make him stop by Iron Man.

"No none of that!" he says while pointing his finger at Spider-Man and holding it for a second.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 21, 2016, 11:17:21 PM
Doesn't Fox hold the rights to Namor?

Apparently, Iron Man/Robert Downey Jr. will be appearing in Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Universal, actually, and from what I understand, Marvel is still in the process of reacquiring those rights, but at least they're trying. Bring those wayward children home, Feige!

And is it just me or does calling it Homecoming make it sound even more like something that's meant to appeal to children and not a broader audience?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Robert Downey Jr joined Spider-Man Homecoming after talks with Michael Keaton fell threw. The movie will probably center around the Homecoming dance/Game at Peter's school. Spider-Man is probably being used to appeal to the younger through teen audiences, especially those in high school.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 22, 2016, 12:26:00 PM
Robert Downey Jr joined Spider-Man Homecoming after talks with Michael Keaton fell threw. The movie will probably center around the Homecoming dance/Game at Peter's school. Spider-Man is probably being used to appeal to the younger through teen audiences, especially those in high school.

Because that was the best part of Iron Man 3, with the kid and his potato gun. Oh, wait.

Haven't they figured out that in 11 of their 12 movies so far, they've made assloads of money without having to resort to that kind of pandering? I guess their accountants aren't doing their job properly.

SapphireStar

Marvel just released a bombshell. They are pulling the Inhumans movie from their lineup. Supposedly the release date will conflict with the next Indiana Jones movie. But, they said they still plan to eventually do it, they just don't know when. Really? So, they can't produce the movie at the same time, just change the release date. That simple.

Famke Jannsen has expressed interest in returning to X-Men as Jean Grey. But, the movies seem to be going with more younger stars, yet another marketing ploy aimed to draw in younger audiences.

Far eyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 24, 2016, 02:07:38 AM
Inhumans movie from their lineup. Supposedly the release date will conflict with the next Indiana Jones movie

Studios will do that because of cinema run time calculations and "hopes" they often fuck it up :P

A/A

Mathim

Well, with the Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD and them avoiding cross-pollination with the TV universe like the plague, it's not surprising. Even if the movie would have been about the royal family and Attilan, it might still shatter continuity with what's going on elsewhere.

Also, looks like Michael Keaton won't actually be appearing in Spider-Man: Homecoming after all, in any capacity. If they really are going with Kraven the Hunter, they better get someone with a decent accent this time (hated every fake Eastern-European accent the movies have thrown at us so far), and give him some mumbo-jumbo so we can actually believe he can compete physically with Spider-Man. The MCU has placed firm limits on the capabilities of non-enhanced humans and I'm not about to believe that the ceiling has been raised just because Sony is willing to play ball this time.

Far eyes

Quotefake Eastern-European accent

Its funny i cam from an area that can technically fall in that category, and its something i rarely here like its shown in the movies. Because what they tend to do in the movies is upscale the accent but at the same time make the person speak relatively good English. That combination rarely happens, what you usually have is people having a strong accent with a very limited vocabulary, or people having a very faint accent who actually speak the language.

My own accent has been described to me as sounding more like i am from California or Hollywood, witch i found amusing. 

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 24, 2016, 08:17:38 AM
Its funny i cam from an area that can technically fall in that category, and its something i rarely here like its shown in the movies. Because what they tend to do in the movies is upscale the accent but at the same time make the person speak relatively good English. That combination rarely happens, what you usually have is people having a strong accent with a very limited vocabulary, or people having a very faint accent who actually speak the language.

My own accent has been described to me as sounding more like i am from California or Hollywood, witch i found amusing.

I've worked in an office for 3 years and nearly half the staff have extremely strong Eastern European accents, so I know damn well what they are supposed to sound like, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen and the guy who played Dave in Ant-Man, were all god-awful imitators. Besides, why not put some fresh meat in there and get in some legit talent from that part of the world? I know of very few from that background. Besides, you'd think someone like Joss Whedon would be more likely to bring in new faces whenever possible.

CaptainNexus616

Its not like Joss Wheldon had full control over every single thing. Hell he was already feeling overwhelmed with what was in his control with Age of Ultron, and if you can make THAT man do that then you know how difficult a project can be.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 24, 2016, 04:08:07 PM
Its not like Joss Wheldon had full control over every single thing. Hell he was already feeling overwhelmed with what was in his control with Age of Ultron, and if you can make THAT man do that then you know how difficult a project can be.

Yeah, poor guy, they bullied the shit out of him. But you'd think both he and the studio could agree the movie should have been split into two parts, then everyone would have gotten what they wanted and the story would have been that much more cohesive. I'd harp on those fake accents less if the rest of the film didn't feel so crowded and rushed.

Far eyes

I generally like Joss Wheldon but its kind of funny to me that his excuse every time he makes something that was not stellar is "Well they made me do it" i am not saying its not true, or that he is lying its just that i have herd it a lot. Repeatedly and its always when some aspect of something he made is criticized it just kind of starts sounding a bit..   old after the umpteenth repeat. It might be true but at the same time it also sounds like a 7year old going "What cookies?"

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 24, 2016, 04:59:33 PM
I generally like Joss Wheldon but its kind of funny to me that his excuse every time he makes something that was not stellar is "Well they made me do it" i am not saying its not true, or that he is lying its just that i have herd it a lot. Repeatedly and its always when some aspect of something he made is criticized it just kind of starts sounding a bit..   old after the umpteenth repeat. It might be true but at the same time it also sounds like a 7year old going "What cookies?"

This is the only time I've paid attention to it, and I believe it just because the end product was so rushed and bloated, there had to be some harsh negotiating to fit in what actually made it. If the Director's Cut is supposedly 4 hours long, why not add some polish and let it be two 2 1/4 hour movies? They really needed more Ultron development. It would have been so great to see him develop as a fledgling, child-like AI and see Tony's attempt to foster it into his perfect vision only to have his own personal detachment and ego turn Ultron against him and the rest of the Avengers. I think a solid twenty minutes of that kind of thing would have been the main thing everyone who complained about Ultron's lack of character and motivation would have demanded.

Far eyes

Yah but honestly a 4h film is really fucking pushing it. I have sat trough 3h films and even if they were good or interesting, thats 3 freaking hours. There is a point both in cinema and writing when you go from needed length to "You know maybe this is not one book/movie maybe its two" and the counter i have read a lot of long ass books that did not need those 200 odd pages that made it be 900-1000+ pages

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 24, 2016, 08:22:36 PM
Yah but honestly a 4h film is really fucking pushing it. I have sat trough 3h films and even if they were good or interesting, thats 3 freaking hours. There is a point both in cinema and writing when you go from needed length to "You know maybe this is not one book/movie maybe its two" and the counter i have read a lot of long ass books that did not need those 200 odd pages that made it be 900-1000+ pages

I know, about the only movie that legitimately deserved to be split into two parts was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, everything else getting split up lately is just so padded. Age of Ultron's story was extremely deserving of being split into two and just didn't get that privilege. Imagine a more fleshed-out Thor vision quest, the twins' history being shown in a flashback instead of just talked about and maybe a little more background on the way the experiments took place and how they got imbued with their abilities (or why they consented to be part of HYDRA's experiments in the first place), the aforementioned birth and growth of Ultron, and more character development for the Vision before the final battle.

Batman V Superman is supposedly getting a theatrical re-release of the Extended Edition before coming out on DVD, with 30 or so minutes of extra footage, and an R-rating. But people were complaining it was already overly long at 2.5 hours, so is that really a good idea? Sure, it might sell a few more DVDs but if it's not 30 minutes that will fix 50% of the problems with the film (which doesn't seem likely given the nature of many of the criticisms) then it can't be that helpful. At least with Age of Ultron, 90% of the problems would be solved with an extended run time.

SapphireStar

Apparently hints are being dropped about who will be playing Captain Marvel. One of the hints is that the actress being considered is on the previously released short list that came out. The top runner seems to be Emily Blunt. And, they seem to be looking for a female director. One of the names being Katherine Hardwicke who directed Twilight.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 24, 2016, 09:46:11 PM
Apparently hints are being dropped about who will be playing Captain Marvel. One of the hints is that the actress being considered is on the previously released short list that came out. The top runner seems to be Emily Blunt. And, they seem to be looking for a female director. One of the names being Katherine Hardwicke who directed Twilight.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last time they let someone who worked with the Twilight movies touch the MCU, they screwed up Jessica Jones and made it suck worse than Iron Man 3!

Far eyes

QuoteKatherine Hardwicke who directed Twilight

I am so glad i do not care one bit about that character in any particular way, Twilight was a lot of things most of them unintentionally hilarious or unintentionally creepy but well directed it was not.

Batman V Superman - that thing had a LOT of problems some of the main ones being who this superman is, namely a duchy idiot. The director...    i like some of his visual, heck i like a lot of his visual work thats something he knows how to do. But he could not tell a story if his and his unborn child's life depended on it. I think the best example of that is perhaps Sucker-punch that 4 or 5 long music videos worth of really cool visuals and a story so bad the experience is literally made better by removing it and playing music over the scenes. I have seen YT versions of it, its better then the original.

Superman is awful in the movie from the ground up, Batman is basically in a PTD at the end of his line fuck all this shit state in the film and its explained very poorly, though if there is any bright spot its that Ben Affleck was actually prty good in the roll and we will get a movie from him. Wounder Woman was ok i guess for the time she had, i still think the actress is a bit off in the roll but she seemed fine. And then there is the rest of that mess and the less you think about it the less awful it is, also plugging your ears and shouting "LALALA" every time Lex Sucking Luthor JR is on screen helps.

A/A

CaptainNexus616

Personally I thought Jessica Jones was ok

The casting choices for Jones and Kilgrave I thought were phenomenal. David Tenant nailed the role so well it blew my mind this guy use to fight lava monsters with a water gun as the Tenth Doctor from Doctor Who. (Canon event with the water gun).

Plus it did what most Marvel products haven't done. Touching upon PTSD and other dark subjects like rape, controlling parents, martial issues, drug use. It wasn't afraid of amping up the gore either in some scenes to make Season 1 of Daredevil look like your Saturday morning cartoon.

...but as the show went on it kind of spiraled out of control as to what the point was and just dragged on.

Feel free to read the rest below, its a my personal review for anyone not afraid of spoilers or wanting an different opinion on the subjects below that I FELT messed the show up

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The whole reason why Kilgrave wasn't simply murdered from the start was because Jessica needed him alive to prove his powers were real to release Hope from prison. It was a clever narrative approach, give reason why this superhuman woman didn't snap his neck at the start. Show this other girl who suffered because of him to give Jessica a form of redemption to save someone else when she couldn't save herself from the effects he had on her life.

However the moment Hope was out of prison for some odd reason she just slits her throat so this way "she can allow Jessica to kill Kilgrave". Basically making her development as a character and the whole point of the first half of the series pointless if that was the end result.

Next is Jeri Hogarth and her martial strife. The problem with it, was how long it was drawn out. It was like every episode we were reminded about this. A lawyer who is supposed to be helping bring down this dangerous criminal was just whining about getting wanting a divorce since she was caught having a relationship with another woman. It really broke the mood at times. It was only made worse when, she freed Kilgrave when he was caught just because he said he would help her get the divorce she wanted. She didn't consider this guy who she was fully aware of has been responsible for so many problems including rape, murder, and theft would not double cross her the first chance he got. Which he did.

Let's examine Will Simpson next. At first I really did like Simpson and I felt his spiral into madness about killing Kilgrave was reasonable. His erratic logic thanks to the influence of his performance enhancing pills was understandable as well. He was an officer of the law sworn to protect the innocent and was mind controlled to act on the whims of a mad man. We see that every time Kilgrave screws with someone (figuratively or literally) they really become messed up and shaken by the experience.

However what got me was when they revealed OUT OF EVERY NYC OFFFICER. He was the only one part of a super soldier program in the military. REALLY? I will accept the needle in haystack odds of finding Jessica a superhuman woman on the street. But a cop who was once part of a Super Soldier program as well? Good thing this guy wasn't on Wilson Fisk's payroll or Daredevil would have been screwed.  I feel if the guys who provided the drugs that provide the boost approached Simpson after his Kilgrave experience it would have flowed a bit better with him rejecting at first before he finally caves in to accepting their offer when he is taken to the hospital.

I won't touch up too much on Trish Walker's strained relationship with her mom too much because that narrative made sense, but it's timing was executed poorly. With minor references at first before showing flashbacks for one episode before trying to execute the subplot in the final quarter of the show. It just didn't flow right and felt rushed.

This last part...oh dear this part is what really gets me so irritated the most.

I am going to just put everyone together as a group here.

All of the member of the Kilgrave recovery group including Malcom and Robyn. At first this little subplot had potential. The recovery group had relatable issues like Jessica from being controlled by Kilgrave and had means to help develop the plot like finding Kilgrave's parents. However this went askew by someone else I will mention last as part of the group.

Malcom who was Jessica's roommate was just a druggie bum who needed a fix and was willing to spy on Jessica for Kilgrave to get it. Seeing him fight his battle against addiction was cool but after that his purpose had diminished greatly other than being just another random person in the recovery group. He didn't do next to anything else, when it felt like the show was trying to place him in the sidekick role to Jessica after he rehabilitated.

Finally....there is Robyn. A crazy paranoid young woman who lost her brother thanks to Kilgrave. Before her brother died, her scenes really just felt like fillers for a few seconds. Afterwards we see her steadily get worse mentally as her brother was presumed missing before she found out he was dead. When she did find out he was dead, she somehow convinced the entire recovery group they were all there because of Jessica and they needed to go and assault her in her own apartment. AND IT WORKED.

To just rub salt in this wound, Jessica had just captured Kilgrave, had him tied up and all with Hope set to be released from prison. Then Robyn freed him, before anyone out of the dozen that attacked Jessica could stop her because they all knew what Kilgrave looked like. In short the whole purpose of Robyn's character was just to let Kilgrave slip away so we can drag the show on later, when the plot was pretty much resolved right then and there.

In short my biggest issue with this show was how some of the characters were handled. Like Robyn and Hogarth were basically set up just to allow Kilgrave to slip out from under the net that caught him on two separate occasions because they acted without thinking.

Or people who's purpose ended up being pointless. Like when Malcom was fully aware of from the start about Robyn and the Recovery Group coming to attack Jessica, he didn't call her to warn her.  Or how Hope who was the whole reason Kilgrave wasn't killed from the start, was just killed immeadiately after that angle reached its end.

It wasn't character development, it was plot induced stupidity. This show was about touching psychological aspects and its understandable they wanted to portray the darker parts of humanity however, some of the decisions made by the characters was absurd to straight up spontaneous at times. Rendering half of the cast as nothing more than plot devices.