Dealing with Depression ~ A Personal Point of View

Started by Rhedyn, January 21, 2011, 12:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adammair

Quote from: Oniya on June 22, 2014, 03:37:21 PM
Blanket forts for the win.

And Nerf guns.  Lots of Nerf guns.  Reba-McIntyre-in-Tremors levels of Nerf guns

+1

*hugs of safety and protection for Rhedyn in her blanket fort*

Rhedyn

Quote from: Oniya on June 22, 2014, 03:37:21 PM
Blanket forts for the win.

And Nerf guns.  Lots of Nerf guns.  Reba-McIntyre-in-Tremors levels of Nerf guns

Quote from: Adammair on June 23, 2014, 01:09:05 AM
+1

*hugs of safety and protection for Rhedyn in her blanket fort*

+2

~hugs on Adammair~

HannibalBarca

+3 :)

Pillow and blanket forts FTW!  Nothing like being snuggled up with someone else in them.  Close physical contact always helps me when I feel bad...and, hugs are scientifically proven to combat depression...i.e.:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CLEtGRUrtJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Dirtythesnapper

True justice is quite simply the will of the Emperor.

Rhedyn

Of course! The more the merrier  just watch out for all the Nerf guns  ;D

Dirtythesnapper

True justice is quite simply the will of the Emperor.

Rhedyn

~laughs~ That's a good one!

My offering for today:

Adammair

Quote from: Rhedyn on June 24, 2014, 03:33:49 PM
~laughs~ That's a good one!

My offering for today:

Dagnabbit...I just realized I right-click-saved only one of a series of images, not one huge image. D'oh! *chuckles* Oh, well...

Rhedyn

~giggles~ I did exactly the same thing when I found it.

Kitsunetsuki

*waves*

Just wanted to say that coming back to E (after being gone over a year) has actually helped my (current) depression start to lift. It's been very rough for me lately, and while I try to stay positive, it's too easy to slip back into the "not moving out of bed for days" thing. Anyway, I saw this today & thought of this blog, so I shall leave this here. It's kinda similar to the one above, but not as adorable ;D

Hopefully, it hasn't been posted before. I tried to read everything, but got too teary eyed. *sighs*

Anyway, hopefully everyone is kicking today's butt! I know I am :D
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Rhedyn

Awww, that's an awesome message, thank you for sharing it <3

I'm sorry to hear it's been rough for you lately, Kitsunetsuki ~offers hugs~

Admittedly I don't feel like I'm kicking butt today, I'm stumbling through another downer and getting all teary about everything. It'll pass eventually though, it always does.

Kitsunetsuki

*gladly accepts hugs and hugs Rhedyn back* XD

I hear you. Lots of tears shed today. I used to hate it when I cried. But, I've come to terms with being an emotional being now. I like your positive attitude that it will pass, though! I'd like to share one of my favourite quotes, if I may...

'Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.'  — Benjamin Disraeli
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Rhedyn

Knowing that it will eventually pass is what keeps me going a lot of the time. Thankfully my downers don't last as long as they used to, they tend to be a matter of days instead of weeks or months, which is a welcome improvement  :-)

That quote is great ~snags for my collection~ I always seem to be apologizing for showing my feelings because I feel guilty for putting other people in a position where they have to deal with it (even though they don't mind), so that's a good one for me to remember <3

Dabi

I think this blog is an excellent idea, thank you for sharing with it and  yes I read write from the beginning. ! Lol

I guess I understand in away for 22 years I have dealt with depression.  I was diagnosed it was only through my stubbornness and people saying "You'd never get to drive, you'd never work in a work place you'd never be independent, draw, write, communicate to others. I was told a lot of thing's that I REFUSED to believe that was the last resort. I'm glad people have said these thing's because it made me more stubborn and determined, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I have not yet decided. But without the stubbornness, my car wouldn't be sitting out in my drive way or currently in working. I live by this rule 'Never let them make you inferior without your consent' it's only you that you allow yourself to make them feel like that. I know it will take some hard doing sometimes but every event/hardship you face you'd find yourself laughing at the end of the day thinking 'Yeah I can do this thing' because the more you gain experience the happier you'd be to dealing with it.

It sucks but you value life and others a lot more in a different way with better understanding :3 Trust me on this. You can see your past life, bullying, bad relationship that turned abusive, but your still here.

Your still you. If your looking back sometimes thinking may be 'I should of did this ' I should of did that.'  Never regret it because all of it
made you who you are.

Rhedyn

Thank you and welcome, Eternal0snow92! That is some perseverance on your part as there's a lot here   ;)

I think that's all very true. I know a big trigger for my depression is when I'm faced with having to do something new and that I'm unsure about. I worry a lot about if I'm doing something right and until I've done it a few times and know that it's all ok my anxiety doesn't end.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts <3

Remiel

I ran across this on deviantart, and had to post it here, especially considering actor / comedian Robin Williams' suicide:

AndyZ

I admittedly haven't been following this thread much, but when I saw this news article, I knew the people who hang out here would want to see it also.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-antidepressants-brain-structure-20140918-story.html
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Chaosengine

Conflict

I need help. This may not be the right place to post it, but many of you probably have much more counseling-type experience than I do, and I'm desperate. Sorry to be such a downer, but this is a matter of life and death.

One of my friends tried to commit suicide over the weekend. She's a wonderful person, usually happy go lucky and kind, with no previous history of depression or anything. The problem is, she's very sexually active, and her parents are very strict and come from a culture that does not accept female promiscuity. They constantly slut-shame her, constantly. She lives in the US, but her culture is very clannish, and most of her friends share her background, and upon discovery of her promiscuity, most of her friends and close family members have turned their backs on her, leaving her with me and a few odd friends here and there. And I'm on the other side of the country now, with a full-time job. Helping this not in the slightest is that I rejected her love not two weeks ago. I care deeply for this girl, but I don't have any interest in pursuing a physical relationship with her. Add in self-esteem issues, money problems from moving into an apartment ten minutes away to escape her family, and an on and off boyfriend... and we've got a mess.

Right now I'm planning to talk to her as soon as she gets out of class, make sure she calls me whenever she's even thinking about it, check her for signs of self-abuse over Skype, call her boyfriend and parents and strategize / scold them, and get in touch with her remaining friends and mobilize them. Any insight, tips, recommendations of any kind would be greatly appreciated. This may be very off topic, in which case send them to me over PM. I have no formal training when it comes to therapy, just common sense and a good working knowledge of her psyche, so please, anyone with any kind of background or experience, help me. If I don't work hard enough making sure she's stable, she may die. Thanks, and I'm sorry for interrupting a lovely inspirational conversation.
Currently Playing: This War of Mine
Currently Reading: Robinson Crusoe

Remiel

This comes with the standard disclaimer that I am not a mental health care professional.  I have no expertise whatsoever other than being diagnosed with depression myself.

First of all, you are right to be concerned.  A common myth about suicide attempts is that these are often a "cry for attention".  While this may be a contributing factor, depression is very real, and suicide accounts for over 30,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone.

My personal opinion is that the best way to combat depression-related suicide is to make sure the person knows she has someone she can talk to, who will listen to her problems without judging her.  If not a mental health professional, then a counselor at her school or church.  Or even a friend just saying "I'm here, I'm worried about you, please talk to me" can make a huge difference.

It sounds like you have a good plan, with one important exception:  scolding her parents, or anyone else who has a negative impact on her friend's life, won't do any good, and in fact may make things worse.     That is not your job.   Your job is to be as supportive of your friend as possible.

The fact that you rejected her romantic advances will make things awkward, but the fact that you are willing to go to such lengths for her says a lot about you. 

I think the biggest thing you can do at this juncture is to let her know that you care about her and are very concerned for her well-being.  Knowing she has someone to talk to will go a long way in fighting off the hopelessness and despair.    Stay clear of her parents for the moment; she needs to figure out how to handle them on her own terms.

Oniya

I don't know if you've already checked into/passed on this information, but in the US, there is a National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.  This could be very useful for her on occasions when you or one of her other friends isn't immediately available.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rhedyn

So today I came across someone who doesn't 'believe in' depression, I won't repeat what they said on the topic, suffice to say it was incredibly rude and prejudiced against mental health issues. It saddens me when I find people that feel this way, I can understand that a lot of people don't know what it's like but the lack of empathy for other people is what irks me the most. Then I found this on tumblr and thought I would share it as, given my earlier encounter, it seemed quite apt:

Remiel

The analogy that I've heard is that you wouldn't tell somebody with a broken leg, or a cancerous tumor, that they're just imagining it, and that it's not a real problem.  Just as you would go to a doctor for physical maladies, why should there be any stigma to go to a psychiatrist or psychologist for a mental malady?

Cassandra LeMay

I have no idea why it seems so difficult for some people to accept the fact that depression is real. Unless those people are just ignorant, the only explanation I can come up with is that they are deadly afraid that they might be "sick" if they admit to themselves that they are not always happy and feeling great all the time. Maybe these people see the world only in black and white and won't even admit to themselves that "black" exists so they can live on in their own little world were nothing bad could happen to them, a la-la land where nothing bad can happen to you if you only close your eyes, where bad things can never happen to yo7u if you just disbelieve them hard enough. Then again, some people are just ... dense.

BTW, Rhedyn, your current avatar made me smile. Thanks for that.  :-)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Rhedyn

I agree, Remiel.

Yay! I'm glad you like my Halloween avatar  :-)