Pop-culture issue...

Started by Robelwell202, April 03, 2014, 02:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robelwell202

Okay, so maybe I'm really old (41), or I'm just not up on Internet culture.  Either way, a couple of things have been popping up lately that have me a bit dumb-struck.

The first is, I've seen the phrase 'Like a Boss' floating around a lot.  Could someone please explain this?  A boss, to me, is someone I'd work for, so I can't see the relevance.

Second, what the hell is a meme?  How the hell is it pronounced, even?  Meme, in my experience, is what a little kid yells when he wants ice cream or candy, as in 'Who wants candy?'  'Oooo!  Me! Me!'

Thanks!
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Stella

Bookmark this site! It's a great source for deciphering internet humour.

I pronounce meme as 'meem.' One syllable. Wikipedia has a pretty good definition of what a meme is exactly.

Inkidu

Meme pronounced meem (like cream) with memetic pronounced meh-met-ik (like rhetoric) as the adjective form. It's a concept that actually predates the internet at large. It's basically a virulent element of one culture that permeates into other separate cultures.

One does not simply X is a meme.

Or I don't always X, but when I do I Y is another
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Perhaps one of the earliest memes would be the 'Kilroy was here' graffiti from the 1940's.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on April 03, 2014, 10:27:00 PM
Perhaps one of the earliest memes would be the 'Kilroy was here' graffiti from the 1940's.
Yep. Though it predates the concept by about thirty years. The cultural anthropologist who coined the term did so in the Seventies, I think.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Something along those lines.  There was a lot of 'human studies' going on in the 70's, giving unfamiliar names to familiar behaviors.  ::)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

http://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/ is a great place for asking about stuff like this, too.