News:

Main Menu

Wait, what..?!

Started by voixdecoeur, June 09, 2011, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voixdecoeur

Just for today.

Callie Del Noire

I recall when I lived in Maine a dot map of deeer/moose collisions. Pretty heavy density in some parts of the state

I've seen pictures and wreakage of a moose collison. Not pretty.. and from what I've heard it's not healthy to have a half dead moose in your front seat. I can only imagine what having a bear would be like if it was still alive entering the window.

gaggedLouise

Moose are roving around in lots of places all over Sweden - we even have special traffic signs to alert drivers on road stretches where the animals are likely to try to cross. Signs that German tourists (in particular) steal and bring home as trophies; to them the moose is a venerated animal that used to inhabit their own forests but was decimated many decades ago.

But the moose (or elk) venture close to cities too. A few years ago there was one that came roving right into the heart of the city I live in - and this is a 100K strong town with lots of traffic, and no really deep coniferous forests for at least fifty miles around. I heard a girl on the radio news who had been knocked off her bike by that one - the surprise probably added to the effect - and then the Lord of the Forest strayed up north along the fence bordering the railway tracks, out of town.  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

Swedish wildlife road signs:

Beware of Bears! - http://tinyurl.com/3atdzj2 - very rare, but you might come across it on some car tracks in the north

Beware of roaming Moose - http://laganland.se/Filer/Copy_of_algskylt.gif (this is the sign that's liberally raided by German and English tourists)

There's a tiny population of musk oxen, too, but very localized up in the northern mountain range, far from public roads, and they're not moving anywhere. Introduced from Canada about fifty years ago. I've seen them; very impressive.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Part of New Hampshire's award winning 'Brake for Moose' campaign.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

I hit a deer last month. Luckily I won... the bastard!
Ragtime Dandies!

Aiden

I reserved my spot in hell long ago, this will not be sealing this deal...

Callie Del Noire

This is what compact + Moose =

And more often than not, the poor thing is still alive and thrashing when it lands in your backseat.

Shjade

Judging by the damage to the car, I don't think you'd be alive enough to care about the moose thrashing in your backseat.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Saerrael

We (my family and I) used to call this the 'Beware ; low flying deer'-sign.
It's not all too common in the Netherlands, but they do exists and a collision with a deer can be quite a bad thing.
For both you and the deer.

Wyrd

It's actually terrifying. I was driving an f-150 when a deer decided it would ruin my night. I may have won but the truck still wrecked pretty good. Never underestimate a deer. 
Ragtime Dandies!

Saerrael

Yup, they may look delicate, but that's one heavy thing you're colliding into.