What is your favorite child's book?

Started by AtlasEros, January 13, 2011, 11:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlasEros

I know there are others on here who have young children which means reading children's books, over, and over.  So I wondered what is your favorite; it can either be your favorite you read your child or your favorite from your childhood.

Mine is Socks for Supper, although, I enjoy reading Cat in the Hat too.
O/O

ambrosial

I have no children myself, but I have studied children's literature and love children's books.

I think my favorite picture book from my childhood was Aunt Isabella Tells a Good One - very cute illustrations and an imaginative tale about a bedtime story.
We'll make the honeysuckle jealous.

Ambrosial's Wine Tasting - Original and Fandom Plots (Updated May 2014)
Ons and Offs and Current RP - Updated Sept. 12, 2014
Avatars- For a visual sampler (Updated June 2, 2013!)
Absences - Semi-Absent Through 01/20/15. Please read!

LunarSage

Oh, "Goodnight Moon" in a heartbeat.  That one has been around -forever-...

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Sweet Trouble

My son love "A Dirty Little Boy"... he could go to it where it is shelved at the local library we go to.... we would laugh together reading it.

I believe we have also read all of the Dr. Seuss books.

AtlasEros

Quote from: Sweet Trouble on January 19, 2011, 11:26:53 PMI believe we have also read all of the Dr. Seuss books.
Good deal, he wrote a lot of stories.  I believe we own at least 15 of them.
O/O

Miss Lilly

The Very Hungry Caterpilla!

I still love it.....*grins*
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Oniya

How young a 'child' are we talking about?  My favorite book in fourth grade was 'The Phantom Tollbooth', and I read it to the little Oni when she was in 2nd or 3rd grade.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Fae Brin

Stuff I legitly fell in love with-- that I read as a child?

Greek myths. All of them.

The more mainstream idea of a children's book-- Nancy Drew? Do those count?

Robert Munsch. -nods-
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

AtlasEros

Quote from: Fae Brin on January 31, 2011, 10:08:06 PM
Stuff I legitly fell in love with-- that I read as a child?

Greek myths. All of them.

yeah, I first discovered Greek, Celtic and Norse myths when I was 3 or 4, at the local library.  From that point on, I've been a huge fan of mythology.
O/O

KaiiVii

"Crow and Weasel" Its illustrations are beautiful and I was always in love with native American culture. Dad used to read Harry Potter for bedtime stories before I could read (I read the last half of the first book by myself)

"Goodnight Moon"

"Cat, You Better Come Home"

Dr Seuss: "if I ran the Zoo" "The Lorax" "One Fish Two fish Red Fish Blue Fish" "To think that I saw it On Mulberry Street" and there was one with a kid and a bunch of hats... I can't find the name though

"Thunder Cake"

"Boxcar Children"

"The Berenstain Bears"

"The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry and the Big Hungry Bear "

Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" books

"The Mouse and the Motorcycle"

And others I'm sure
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

Yorubi

Fae Brin

The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 

AtlasEros

O/O

Fae Brin

My reading mostly centered on Greek and Roman myths-- I only read some Norse mythology. Almost no Celtic. >.>

Oniya

If you read the Lloyd Alexander books, you've gotten a fair piece of Celtic myth.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Fae Brin

He's atchally been on my 'To Read' list for several years. @.@

AtlasEros

Quote from: Fae Brin on February 01, 2011, 02:31:37 PM
My reading mostly centered on Greek and Roman myths-- I only read some Norse mythology. Almost no Celtic. >.>
Ah, with a name like Fae Brin, I would have figured you for a fan of the Celtic mythology. 

Norse is my favorite of the lot, I really suggest you take a look at it.  You may find it to your liking.
O/O

DobbyDevotchka

I had a near complete collection of the hard back Dr. Seuss books, hand me downs with worn down spines.  I learned to read with those books, and I still find them to be excellent stories.  He was a great!  I was always so sad for the lorax.

Fae Brin

I know enough about Norse mythology to be familiar with some of the terms, but the actual legends escape me.

Mm-- I went through a small druid phase?

>.>

<.<

Kay-- so it was a big one alright. I might have poked around the Celtic lit a bit. But I don't remember almost all of it.

stormkitten

Cookies Week

If you give a mouse a cookie

The fire cat

Nanna Upstairs Nanna downstairs
"I thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you despair?"

~Twisted Romance & Dark Tales~
*Extreme: Pregnancy & Breeding* 
ONS and OFFS

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

xanthian

My favorite children's book as a child was 'The Tale of Zachary Zween', a really obscure old book about a boy in a boy's school where everything was done in alphabetical order, so he was always last. It's a really sweet book.

Also, I think the Madeline series is truly superb.
It does't matter if you can't run faster than some other guy, as long as you can run faster than yourself 6 months ago.

I've been asked what it's like to have Bipolar Disorder. I always tell them, 'It has its ups and downs'.

Jag

Along with Goosebumps, The Giver, The Outsiders, and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde...I adored the Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I always liked the story about Mr. Gorf who sucked up children's voices through his third nostril. And the one about Miss Wendy Nogard who uses her third ear to read the children's minds and make them miserable my humiliating them because no one loves her.

*needs to re-find these books*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

I saw one listed in the little Oni's Scholastic flyers earlier this year.  Contact your local elementary schools and find out when they're having Scholastic book fairs.  I know they're usually for students and their parents, but they might be amenable to others, since the schools get a portion of the proceeds.

Torch

"I Love You, Forever." by Robert Munsch

I defy anyone to read this without getting weepy at the end.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's