A Dance with Dragons (SPOILERS)

Started by Maiz, July 13, 2011, 12:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiz

As a warning, this board will have massive spoilers for A Dance with Dragons and all books preceding it. If you are just getting into the series you might want to skip this.

So, finally the fifth book came out. I just now finished it. And wow.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

So who thinks Jon is really dead? I don't think he is. His body may be, but look at the prologue chapter. It's all about a warg who jumps from body to body. I'm guessing he entered Ghost or something.

Also Cersei may be humbled but I think it's partially an act. There's no way she can be put down that easily.

and I think I just about died when Prince Aegon appeared. Corny but I don't even care.

What do any of you reading think about it so far?

We should use spoiler tags for at least the first page. -Vek

Vekseid

You really can tell that GRRM struggled with Mereen and the overall plotline surrounding Dany. The book suffers for it - some parts drag on, some parts deserved fleshing out that didn't get it. A few chapters could have been left out entirely.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Jon is almost certainly Azor Ahai, or rather will be. "Kill the child, and let the man be born." Melisandre even complains "I keep asking R'hllor for a vision of Azor Ahai and he keeps showing me Snow." She also has a vision of Jon turning into a wolf and then back to a man again, and Jon sees himself clad in black ice wielding a red sword. Ser Petrak's symbol was a star, Jon's wounds 'smoked' and salt from Bowen's tears.

If anything I think the foreshadowing was being laid on a bit too thick, and I wouldn't put it past GRRM to pull a 'gotcha, he's really dead', but I think there would be a fan revolt >_>

I don't know if Aegon's claim is legitimate.

Maiz

Haha I didn't even think of that. Mostly because I sped read but whatevs. That is some pretty thick foreshadowing, so I'm not sure. I doubt Jon Snow is dead though. There's no way he is. He just had to be put out of being Lord Commander so the wall falls. Because if the Wall doesn't fall then why does it  matter about the others you know?