News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Osama Bin Laden is Dead

Started by Remiel, May 01, 2011, 10:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Uhm... the photo of him is all over Facebook. I'm too squeamish to click the link, but the preview photo shows Osama's face pretty roughed up. Theres no yawning hole in his eye though, so it could be faked. Says its a vid though...

Went to find link, but its just vanished :/

Zakharra

I'd check your virus scanners. There have been viral links from people offering up pictures of bin Laden that have been used to infect your computer.

Aleph

If we can go back to the section where the respectful treatment of the dead was discussed, my understanding is that images of the dead are considered disrespectful to the deceased. That may have figured in the US Govt's decision not to release images of the bodies post-raid.

My memory is fuzzy on details here, but I remember the US military taking flak from Islamic allies for showing post-death images after they shot some of the current (at that time) Al Qaeda higher command. Either way, it might be something of a lesson learned.

Pointless Digression

I think I have to agree with Jon Stewart on that point.

Quote from: The Daily Show
The best reason in my mind for releasing the pictures is that we have been fighting this war for nearly ten years, thousands of US deaths, tens of thousands of Iraqis and Afghanis have died, and we’ve seen nearly zero photographic evidence of it. Remember how long the media had to fight to show military coffins returning from overseas? You probably don’t remember, because you saw pictures of it the day they won the case and not since.

Maybe we should always show pictures:  Bin Laden, pictures of our wounded service people, pictures of maimed innocent civilians. We can only make decisions about war if we see what war actually is and not as a video game where bodies quickly disappear leaving behind a shiny gold coin.

Serephino

Yeah, there are a lot of fakes being sent around attached to a nasty virus.  I saw something about it on the news.  And really, the people demanding evidence will probably say the real photo is faked.  No matter what anyone does, those who don't want to believe will come up with some explanation to prove it's faked.  Look at the whole birth certificate bullshit....

He put a copy of it up on the White House website, with a few things blacked out for his own privacy.  The 'birthers' all said it was a fake.  Then he had that press conference recently where he showed the raised seal on his birth certificate (which people were bitching about), and posted a scan of the long form.  One would have thought that would shut the birthers up, but no....  The long form is also faked.  *rolls eyes*

I was hoping they wouldn't show it.  It was described as gruesome.  Supposedly a piece of his skull above his eye was blown off.  If people are sickened over pictures of injured soldiers and civilians, how would they react to that?  I don't want to see that. 

And no, this isn't about sinking down to the level of the terrorists.  First of all, there's something to be said for taking the high road.  Second, it would look bad to our allies because we would be just as bad as those who we want them to help us fight.  Thirdly, if it is released, there will be lots of people upset and bitching, so it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  You can't please everyone all the time.  It was a tough decision, and I think President Obama made the right one.     

Valerian

While there may be some merit to what Stewart says -- I don't presume to know enough psychology or sociology to comment on that overall -- starting any trend in that direction by showing such inflammatory images as bin Laden with "part of his skull blown off," which is what all the news outlets are saying, would be a tremendously bad idea, in my opinion.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

TheGlyphstone

And really, for anyone who's innately suspicious of the government and assumes this is all faked?

Wait a week. Two weeks, tops. If Bin Laden has not released an audio or video statement (through Al-Jazeera, probably) disproving his death, then he's gone. If he was/is alive, AQ would be pulling out all the stops to show that - it would make the US a laughingstock and utterly destroy our credibility for years thanks to all the hype. There's very little to be gained from playing along, and much to be gained by exposing the 'American lies'.

He's dead, Jim.

gaggedLouise

Heard on the news that al-Qaeda have released a statement - on a web site known to be linked to them - acknowledging that bin Laden died in the raid, but I'm sure some won't be convinced by this.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

consortium11

Quote from: Aleph on May 06, 2011, 09:59:52 AM
If we can go back to the section where the respectful treatment of the dead was discussed, my understanding is that images of the dead are considered disrespectful to the deceased. That may have figured in the US Govt's decision not to release images of the bodies post-raid.

My memory is fuzzy on details here, but I remember the US military taking flak from Islamic allies for showing post-death images after they shot some of the current (at that time) Al Qaeda higher command. Either way, it might be something of a lesson learned.

If we're thinking of the same thing it was the death of Saddam Hussein's sons in a shoot out. The US released pretty graphic pictures of the pair to show they were dead and immediately found itself in a the middle of a storm... both internationally/politically and also on the ground where it enraged many.

MagicalPen

Part of the problem in general is that we are not exposed to death - in general - a whole lot, and when we are, its in the form of movies or video games, so it doesn't come across as real. So when people do see a picture of a dead-anything, they freak out over it. For me, when I see pictures of the dead, its more of a horrid-fascination that keeps me transfixed. The people shown look very dead, as opposed to in the movies or in video games, or are truly missing limbs or other parts of their bodies. Its not normal to 'see' things like that. But it goes hand in hand with the treatment of animals - slaughter houses etc - a hundred+ years ago, if you wanted meat, you cut your own chickens head off etc....but now, some one else does that for you, so you really aren't exposed to it, thus are revolted and disgusted by it.

Of course, the Muslims have no problem showing pictures of dead people and burned corpses on the news. But they cry foul when you show a picture of one of their own (and typically responded with violence).

And now that his death has been confirmed by the Muslims, they're all throwing a temper tantrum. Like, British Muslims trying to storm the US Embassy in London. I find it rather Ironic that these morons are shouting 'Death to the West! You're all Murderers!' and "Islam shall rule the World!", while 1. They Live in the West, 2. They wear Bulls Jerseys, drink Coke and Pepsi, ec in the Mid East, 3. Use Cellphones and Western Technologies, and 4. Require loyalty to religion over loyalty to country.

No other religion in the world is quite like the present form of Islam. Its rather barbaric when it comes down to it.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Oniya

Quote from: Eeyore on May 06, 2011, 04:36:23 PM
Part of the problem in general is that we are not exposed to death - in general - a whole lot, and when we are, its in the form of movies or video games, so it doesn't come across as real.

Anyone care to join me in a 'head-desk' moment?

QuoteFancy taking out Osama bin Laden from the comfort of your own living room this weekend?

From today, video gamers will be able to lead their own mission to assassinate the al-Qaeda leader when The Death of Osama bin Laden goes on sale - less than a week after US Navy Seals killed him in his secret hideout in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10723950
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

gaggedLouise

Quote from: EeyorePart of the problem in general is that we are not exposed to death - in general - a whole lot, and when we are, its in the form of movies or video games, so it doesn't come across as real.

One of the top three most disturbing fiction films I've ever seen is Michael Haneke's Funny Games where two guys, at first looking like well-behaved neighbours in the holiday villa district, lure themselves onto a family by pretext of wishing to borrow some eggs. They capture the family, set up a "dare" with them - and with the viewers in the theatre - on whether their victims will survive till the next morning, and eventually kill them all, one by one, and making sure everyone dies in front of those who are still alive, excepting the last one of course. The movie has next to no direct on-screen violence, save a few carefully picked exceptions, but it tells the story and dwells on aspects you would never get to see in an ordinary friday night tv thriller: the despair of the parents after their son has been killed, for instance. And the lack of music and overt dramatic sweep make it even colder. The idea was to question why we're actually getting so used to violence as entertainment and by skewing the perspectives a bit and making it more realistic, it's a great success - but almost impossible to watch.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

HairyHeretic

Colour me entirely unsurprised.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

consortium11

Quote from: Oniya on May 06, 2011, 06:24:55 PM
Anyone care to join me in a 'head-desk' moment?

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10723950

That's nothing... I got to take out Osama and Saddam Hussein in one game... and I got to do it with Beat Em up gameplay.

I present America's 10 Most Wanted a game so ridiculous that I essentially bought it as a bet... and while it is in every way terrible... had almost as much fun with it as I've ever had with another.

Sabby

Ah, that game... the really bad shooter with the Mortal Kombat ending where ya roundhouse kick Osama into a helicopter to be taken off.

blknwhite11

Eh, I didn't feel much of a difference after he died and before he died, so I really didn't care.