Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series

Started by totallynotcap, December 04, 2019, 10:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

totallynotcap

Hello,

Is there anyone else who likes the books? I'm on the 14th, I think? The Harlequin.

I know a lot of people have complaints about the later books, which yeah smut only drags and is boring, but I think I'm still going to continue reading until the end just to see where it's going. Especially since I have a few spoilers already, like her getting with a girl too! And her getting more capable of handling her powers. I'm excited to see where those things go.

Anyway, feel free to give your thoughts on the series, if you're currently reading or did before. Anyone currently reading, though, I'd love to talk about it!

Callie Del Noire

Up to a point.

There were a few books that felt..less worth it. Don’t get me wrong, I like Merry Gentry still, but with Anita it felt like she was in bed for half of one book (Narcisis?) and another could have been a short story (Flirt)

I’ve gotten a bit picky about the latter Anita books but I still periodically bing the first dozen or so every year or so.

totallynotcap

Don't blame you!

And that's cool that you reread them! A lot of people have said the newest ones are going back to the old style of mysteries/detective work and less smut, from what I've heard.

What did you like most about it? Any favorite characters? Scenes? Books?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: totallynotcap on December 06, 2019, 09:49:56 PM
Don't blame you!

And that's cool that you reread them! A lot of people have said the newest ones are going back to the old style of mysteries/detective work and less smut, from what I've heard.

What did you like most about it? Any favorite characters? Scenes? Books?

I like the steel in Anita in the first few where she worked thru adversity. She and Edward/Ted are my faves.

totallynotcap

Ohhh I agree! She could tackle anything and it isn't because she's perfect but because she's strong.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: totallynotcap on December 07, 2019, 03:39:23 PM
Ohhh I agree! She could tackle anything and it isn't because she's perfect but because she's strong.

I like the Merry Gentry setting a lot.. I’ve tried three times to do a game.. but one of them ended because a player took over the local pack.. then stopped playing. Maybe did like 9 posts

totallynotcap

Oh wow that's messed up! I hate when people ghost.. I haven't read the Merry Gentry books yet, myself, though I've been meaning to.

Caradoc

I find the Anita books uneven. First few were good, then they were only good when she was out of town. I love the world of Anita Blake, the character hersel drives me batty sometimes.
So tell me do you wanna go?
Where it's covered in all the colored lights
Where the runaways are running the night
Impossible comes true, it's taking over you

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

totallynotcap

Quote from: Caradoc on December 07, 2019, 10:13:58 PM
I find the Anita books uneven. First few were good, then they were only good when she was out of town. I love the world of Anita Blake, the character hersel drives me batty sometimes.

That's valid! She's kind of all over the place sometimes. Especially with her powers.

Callie Del Noire

Sometimes it’s the storyline and sometimes it’s the characters...

totallynotcap

What other characters did you like/dislike?

Caradoc

Edward, Bobby Spotted Horse (who they need to flesh out better), the Rat King.

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

totallynotcap

Sorry, I'm assuming those are the ones you dislike, right? Or am I wrong?

Caradoc

Quote from: totallynotcap on December 07, 2019, 11:29:51 PM
Sorry, I'm assuming those are the ones you dislike, right? Or am I wrong?

My mistake. I like those. I'd read an Edward solo book, especially if Spotted Horse was in it.

Don't like Otto, um.... the half crazy former lover of Jean Claude. Asher?

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

totallynotcap

My mistake. I like those. I'd read an Edward solo book, especially if Spotted Horse was in it.

Don't like Otto, um.... the half crazy former lover of Jean Claude. Asher?

I love Edward and I'd definitely read an Edward solo book as well. Spotted Horse is great, too, though he does need to be a bit more fleshed out like you said. Maybe in the later books he is idk.

Yeah, Asher. He's kinda..whiny to me. XD Idk he rubs me the wrong way sometimes when it comes to being Jean Claude's boyfriend. Maybe I'm just jealous on Anita's behalf lmao who knows.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: totallynotcap on December 08, 2019, 12:17:54 AM
I love Edward and I'd definitely read an Edward solo book as well. Spotted Horse is great, too, though he does need to be a bit more fleshed out like you said. Maybe in the later books he is idk.

Yeah, Asher. He's kinda..whiny to me. XD Idk he rubs me the wrong way sometimes when it comes to being Jean Claude's boyfriend. Maybe I'm just jealous on Anita's behalf lmao who knows.

Ted/Edward is firmly my second fave, most other spots changing. Asher has a few good moment but yeah, mostly comes across whiny. As does Richard. Oh god does he.

totallynotcap

DO NOT get me started on Richard. Omg. He drives me insane in the books, with all his bullshit. And apparently she based him off of her late husband. I never wanna be around anyone who acts like that, nevermind marrying them.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: totallynotcap on December 08, 2019, 10:30:56 AM
DO NOT get me started on Richard. Omg. He drives me insane in the books, with all his bullshit. And apparently she based him off of her late husband. I never wanna be around anyone who acts like that, nevermind marrying them.

I don’t know.. when he doesn’t get down on himself, or in the first few books, he’s nice (mostly) and okay (again mostly) but after he becomes an utter ass after becoming leader of the pack.

Sasquatch421

Hah, I just finished a run through my Anita Blake books... My book store closed so the last I managed to pick up was Dead Ice. Honestly I think I'd enjoy a series that dealt with Jean Claude first becoming a vampire and then later on with Asher in Belle's Court.

Otto... I'm curious to see where Hamilton is going with him, but really not my fav. I'd also love to the Obsidian Butterfly make a return, it was my favorite book in the series then Affliction would be next.

totallynotcap

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on December 08, 2019, 10:36:54 AM
I don’t know.. when he doesn’t get down on himself, or in the first few books, he’s nice (mostly) and okay (again mostly) but after he becomes an utter ass after becoming leader of the pack.

He certainly started off fine. Which is what made it disappointing when he kinda went off the rails with arrogance and stuff.

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 08, 2019, 12:05:46 PM
Hah, I just finished a run through my Anita Blake books... My book store closed so the last I managed to pick up was Dead Ice. Honestly I think I'd enjoy a series that dealt with Jean Claude first becoming a vampire and then later on with Asher in Belle's Court.

Otto... I'm curious to see where Hamilton is going with him, but really not my fav. I'd also love to the Obsidian Butterfly make a return, it was my favorite book in the series then Affliction would be next.

I'm not quite there yet myself. Would you say you're one of those people that didnt like the direction of the books with the sexcapades so much or nah? That's usually the consensus that I hear the most but that it kinda gets better in the later books again.

I'm keeping my own opinion on standby until I read past the next few.

And yeah that would definitely be interesting. We get peaks here and there about Jean Claude's life before but to really read it would be great!

HairyHeretic

Quote from: totallynotcap on December 08, 2019, 04:00:25 PM
He certainly started off fine. Which is what made it disappointing when he kinda went off the rails with arrogance and stuff.

From what I heard, he was heavily based on her husband, and the character turned into an ass when they got divorced. I don't know if that's true or not, but it could explain why he changed so much.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

totallynotcap

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 08, 2019, 04:31:43 PM
From what I heard, he was heavily based on her husband, and the character turned into an ass when they got divorced. I don't know if that's true or not, but it could explain why he changed so much.

Yeah that's what I heard too!

Esoterica

I loved the Anita Blake series of vampire books, but I have not read all of them, and I have not read them in ages and ages. Its kinda like Anne Rice which I only more recently picked up. I love vampire-related stuff a lot. But a lot of it has become too light and fluffy for me since coming across Nicholas Bella's novels.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

nuktaetal

My best friend and I read them when they first came out, I think there were only five printed at the time. They were so good but then... they got less good. Less characters developement, less plot. But! My friend she stuck with it and says the Auther has recently gone back to the good plot and character growth she used to do in the beginning. So I was going to dig through my old boxes of books and give it another shot all the way through if I can! My friend and I talk about these books a lot still, deffinetely a nostalgic favorite.
"I love battle. I fear nothing. The way I look at it, as long as you make it out of the battle alive, you're one step closer to fulfilling your dream."

-Seifer Almasy FFXIII

Iniquitous

Man, I LOVED Anita Blake when the books first came out.  Devoured them and reread the first ones.  Then she became a Mary Sue and all she did was have sex with everybody.  It got to the point that I was skipping chunks of pages just to get past the sex and get back to the plot - and that started to fail when the sex became the plot (sex to get new powers, new powers to defeat new enemy!).

I seriously hope Hamilton goes back to the way the books were in the beginning.  I'd pay to read the books again if she did.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.