First Sign of 'Electioneering' and Campaign Mudslinging 2014.

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 04, 2013, 10:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neysha

Could reduce the political parties to the level of special interest groups or PACs like the NRA or ACLU or whatever giving out their endorsements to various candidates.

My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 04, 2013, 10:28:32 PM
It's not even the election year yet, and I get to see my first attack add for someone running for office. Down here in Florida, Charlie Crist (Former R, Former Ind, now Democrat) has announced his decision to run for Governor as a Democrat. (I can relate a bit.. I know I'm not welcome in my own party anymore.. the penalty of being a Moderate Republican who thinks fiscal issues are more important than irrelevant social ones)

Thing is.. I LITERALLY just saw the campaign announce on the news.. not TEN minutes ago..and in the commercial break I saw my first attack add. That has to be a new record. 8 hours from announcement to attack ads.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/11/rick-scott-uses-dem-criticisms-in-first-tv-ad-attacking-opportunist-charlie-crist-.html
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/political/charlie-crist-announces-candidacy-and-braces-for-an-onslaught-of-attack-ads-from-rick-scott
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/11/02/video-first-charlie-crist-attack-ad-hits-airwaves-86400

Wait, the mudslinging stopped and I missed it?!?!?

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

gaggedLouise

The GOP gameplan - we were told there would (hopefully?) be no further chicken races to the debt ceiling to block Obamacare, but the law will continue to be a centrepiece of republican agitation all through next year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/us/politics/gop-maps-out-waves-of-attacks-over-health-law.html?hpw&rref=&_r=0

I can see an army of medical and insurance Joe the Plumbers coming forward in the debate and "telling you how it really is"...

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheGlyphstone

Step 1: Unquestionable truth to set the stage (Healthcare.gov didn't function).
Step 2: Personal testimonies from assorted individuals to generate empathy and trust.
Step 3: Completely unsupportable allegations to fearmonger and focus discontent.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit.

The first three steps, at least, are pretty well-planned if rather sinister.

Tairis

At this point I think we should just remove them all from office and replace by random lottery. It couldn't possibly be worse at this point.
"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
- Robert Heinlein

ladia2287

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 11, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
Campaign finance is out of control. There is a MASSIVE about of influence brokering going on and to say that it's disenfranching the actual voters is not QUITE true but it is getting there. The outlook, at least among party leadership, is that with enough cash you can shape elections to the results you desire. The GOP tried it this last election cycle and it didn't QUITE work. (Hence Karl Rove's pouty meltdown on live TV)

I think they were just jumping the gun. THIS cycle I expect to see more special interest and SuperPAC money spread around to counter GOP discontent due to the shutdown. I think there is a faction within each party that thinks with enough cash y ou could get an Emu elected.

I have a feeling that an emu would probably do a better job of governing than some of the people who manage to work their way into a political career...

Maybe I should start my own political party. The Emu party, with a kangaroo as the candidate :P

Valthazar

Quote from: Tairis on November 22, 2013, 06:19:05 PM
At this point I think we should just remove them all from office and replace by random lottery. It couldn't possibly be worse at this point.

Part of it is our own fault.  All we need to do is look at the Democrat or Republican campaign donators, and it's easy to see that both parties are run by lobbyists and corporate giants who don't care about the middle class.

There are always alternative candidates, but they never get the limelight in major debates, but I am sure if more Americans were aware of the realities, the outcomes would be very different.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ValthazarElite on November 22, 2013, 10:37:16 PM
Part of it is our own fault.  All we need to do is look at the Democrat or Republican campaign donators, and it's easy to see that both parties are run by lobbyists and corporate giants who don't care about the middle class.

There are always alternative candidates, but they never get the limelight in major debates, but I am sure if more Americans were aware of the realities, the outcomes would be very different.

I doubt it most Americans don't bother looking into what the media is telling them. Determining the truth from the half truth.

Deamonbane

Sadly, mudslinging is not a practice followed solely by American politicians...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Callie Del Noire

MasterMischief

I heard a suggestion put forth to do away with primaries.  This was primarily to help the issue of polarization in the US currently.  There would be a pre-election of some sort.  The top two would then face off in the actual election.

In theory, this would force candidates to move closer to the center instead of focusing on the extremes required to make it through a primary.

I am not convinced this would work.  I cringe to think how low turnout would be for the pre-election.  Still, I value fresh ideas...or even recycled ones.  The current process is not serving the general populace well.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 23, 2013, 12:25:15 PM
I doubt it most Americans don't bother looking into what the media is telling them. Determining the truth from the half truth.
Change Americans to the word people and you've got a closer approximation of how it really works.  The sad thing is that most who vote are either A) Firm Believers in their party of choice, and don't care at all about the rhetoric anyway, B) people who see no real choice and picks what they believe is the lesser of the evils or C) idealists who think they can actually change the system by working with it.

Or so it seems.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Okay.. I think there are a LOT of things that fall under my definition of 'Electioneering'. Any methods of 'manipulating' or sculpting the political environment. Voter ID laws are definitely part of that. I do NOT subscribe to the term 'Voter Suppression' BUT there has to be some intent on these laws.

This one article/event though.. seems more a lack of forethought than intent. Outcome is the same though.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/29/texas-voter-id-law-women-vote

ShadowFox89

Honestly? The Republicans have been trying to rig things for years now. It's not surprising anymore, simply sad.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 13, 2013, 10:03:23 AM
Honestly? The Republicans have been trying to rig things for years now. It's not surprising anymore, simply sad.

I don't think this one was intentional. This strikes me as another result of the shortsightedness.

Lux12

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 04, 2013, 10:28:32 PM
It's not even the election year yet, and I get to see my first attack add for someone running for office. Down here in Florida, Charlie Crist (Former R, Former Ind, now Democrat) has announced his decision to run for Governor as a Democrat. (I can relate a bit.. I know I'm not welcome in my own party anymore.. the penalty of being a Moderate Republican who thinks fiscal issues are more important than irrelevant social ones)

Thing is.. I LITERALLY just saw the campaign announce on the news.. not TEN minutes ago..and in the commercial break I saw my first attack add. That has to be a new record. 8 hours from announcement to attack ads.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/11/rick-scott-uses-dem-criticisms-in-first-tv-ad-attacking-opportunist-charlie-crist-.html
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/political/charlie-crist-announces-candidacy-and-braces-for-an-onslaught-of-attack-ads-from-rick-scott
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/11/02/video-first-charlie-crist-attack-ad-hits-airwaves-86400
Hate to say it, but this isn't anything new. Elections in the earlier years of our nations histories would get outright vicious. They made an art of mudslinging way back then. Of course, this is just another series of attack ads in a sea of them that show up every election. I can't say I'm surprised given the current state of politics in this country.

Oniya

I think Callie was referring to the first sign of it this go-round.  You'd think they'd wait for the chads to be swept off the floor before starting in for the following election.  :P
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17