Desk top wouldn't Load? maybe? not sure help please

Started by MissRoziel, March 02, 2013, 03:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissRoziel

My computer just did something really scary

my net was running slow so I decided to restart because that usually fixes my connection but when it restarted it took forever to load and then was just like a white screen I had my mouse pointer and when I hit Ctrl alt delete it pulled up my task manager screen but it was like my desk top wouldn't load, I don't know what happened has anyone had this happen before?

I restarted it again from the desk top window and when I did the desk top loaded (complete with the boot up windows sound you know that do doo dodo thing) and then it gave me the shut down goodbye sound  and restarted it started a little slow but loaded fine this time

has this happened to any before, do you have any suggestions, it really freaked me out.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=284574.msg14007299#msg14007299

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am also taking art commissions to go towards my goal.

Dovel

Hello MissRoziel~

Sorry to you hear you are having PC problems. From the way you described it I don't think its software related. It sounds like something might be starting to go bad with a piece of hardware. If it never does it again though then it could have been something as simple as dust collected on one of your boards, something overheated, you looked at your PC cross-eyed. ~grins~

It is hard to tell though without seeing the PC but from what you said about it booting slow, shutting off and restarting. That could be the hard-drive dying out. It could also be a bad memory stick, bad card (sound, video,etc) When a piece of hardware goes bad on a PC it will start doing strange stuff. And usually the only way to figure out which piece is bad is to go through them one by one. Unless it obvious like you suddenly have no sound or no video. If you can, back up any needed data from your hard-drive just in case. That way you will not lose anything if it does goes bad.

There is another thing. If you are running Windows 7 sometimes it will fail to load your desktop upon start-up. It is a known issue without any fix but to restart your PC.

Again, if it is fine now and doesn't do it again then do not worry. Could have just been a hiccup with the system. PCs can be temperamental.

I hope everything is fine now.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

Vekseid

If you're talking about icons and the start taskbar, it's usually nothing to be -too- freaked out about, though it can be highly annoying.

When you get the blank screen and start the task manager, you can usually just run explorer.exe manually from the run option.

If that's what is going on, then the task is to figure out what is interrupting explorer.exe from loading on startup. Usually something you have installed that is being dumb.

MissRoziel

I'm hoping it's not hard wears it's fairly new computer and I had it looked over just last years and they said it looked fine even cleaned it for me

it didn't shut off and restart I did that,  I restarted it because it resets my net connection and usually fixes it what was unusual was the slow booting and the white screen

I do run windows 7 though if this is a know windows 7 problem maybe it was just that?  it's never happened before and when I restarted it after the white screen thing it seemed to start fine, maybe it was a windows hiccup?

not it wasn't the Icons and the task bar it was like the whole screen what just white with only my mouse pointer on it not even my desk top background was showing

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am also taking art commissions to go towards my goal.

Vekseid

Should be whatever your background color is - which could be white without you knowing if your desktop background typically covers it.

Vekseid

But if it happens again, if you can run explorer.exe from the run option in the task manager - and everything suddenly works properly - the issue is as I've described and has nothing to do with hardware.

MissRoziel

Ok I'll give that a shot if it happens again, mostly I'm kind of going to hope it dosen't I mean I've owned it for three years this is the first time it's ever done that hopefully it was just a hiccup, but thanks for the instructions :D I really appreciate it

Dovel

~waves to Veks~

Hopefully Veks is correct and it is nothing to worry about. He would know better than I. ~smiles~

Though I understand it can be frustrating when you can't figure out what is wrong. And none of us want to be without a working PC.

Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

MissRoziel

well it's that I make my living with my computer I'm an artist if My computer gose out I can't do my digital prints or book marks *sheepish*

I'm actually tempted to shell out for a laptop and use that for role playing and net and stuff and keep my desk top for strictly work.