E running slow......

Started by Aemirys, January 11, 2012, 05:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aemirys

Is it just me or is E running really slow?

Is Veks making some changes?

Curious more than anything.
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Lilias

Veks is at work right now, so there may be some minor (hopefully) hitches. :-)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Aemirys

*gets all excited*

I thought so!

*cheers Veks on*
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Trieste

You're not the only one; it's been running slow for me, too. Takes forever when I check my PMs or when I go to modify a post.

Aemirys

★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Vekseid

Quote from: Trieste on January 11, 2012, 05:12:49 AM
You're not the only one; it's been running slow for me, too. Takes forever when I check my PMs or when I go to modify a post.

How long did this last for?

Aemirys

Not long actually and it wasn't that bad really.
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Izzie Aditi

Had the same problem this morning indeed (around noon GMT+2), even checked downforeveryoneorjustme. Think it lasted 15 minutes for me?
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Aemirys

Yeah 15min sounds about right it wasn't that long.
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Trieste on January 11, 2012, 05:12:49 AM

I've been having the same issues for the past couple of days.  Usually takes about 15 or so seconds for either my PMs to load or to modify a post. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Beguile's Mistress

I get lags with PMs and modifications all the time though not every time.  I thought it was just me because other pages load pretty fast when the PMs and modifications lag.

Oniya

I either completely missed it, or it was during my A-V scan (during which everything slows down.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

Sometimes it happens to me in certain areas of the forums (Hidden Forums) or with exceptionally long posts too.

There are times when E is inaccessible for me too, but as Veks told me before, it sometimes just happens that the connection between US and Europe has problems, in which case I can't access E via the https protocol or by the IP address (which would be nice to have somewhere indexable by Google and therefore accessible through their archive - it usually takes me ages to Google it if E is down. O:)).
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Trieste

Quote from: Vekseid on January 11, 2012, 01:07:37 PM
How long did this last for?

It's been happening on and off. My experience is much like Mithlomwen's - it can take 15+ seconds for PMs to load, and modify is often just hopeless unless I click it a couple times. Can't remember when it started, a week ago maybe? I didn't mention it because the indicator at the bottom wasn't showing jumped-up times so I assumed it was my connection.

Vekseid

Quote from: Mithlomwen on January 11, 2012, 02:36:08 PM
I've been having the same issues for the past couple of days.  Usually takes about 15 or so seconds for either my PMs to load or to modify a post.

Hrm. : /

Usage           8.00G of   8.00G  %Used: 100.00
Read hit       99.96%

The sitemap gets rebuilt at about 3 AM CDT/CST, but that was about two hours before Aemirys started the topic.

03:05:01 AM     all     13.25      0.02      0.56      2.81      0.00     83.37
03:15:01 AM     all     15.76      0.56      1.93      7.64      0.00     74.11
03:25:01 AM     all     12.54      0.00      0.52      2.79      0.00     84.15
03:35:01 AM     all     11.94      0.00      0.50      2.13      0.00     85.44
03:45:01 AM     all     12.28      0.00      0.48      2.16      0.00     85.09
03:55:01 AM     all     12.77      0.00      0.51      3.96      0.00     82.76
04:05:01 AM     all     11.74      0.02      0.53      3.34      0.00     84.36
04:15:01 AM     all     11.58      0.03      0.54      3.10      0.00     84.75
04:25:01 AM     all     11.66      0.00      0.49      2.36      0.00     85.49
04:35:02 AM     all     11.52      3.68      0.52      4.09      0.00     80.19
04:45:01 AM     all     11.90     11.39      0.64      5.11      0.00     70.96
04:55:01 AM     all      6.93      9.37      0.64     47.88      0.00     35.18
05:05:01 AM     all     21.90      8.25      0.94     20.75      0.00     48.15
05:15:01 AM     all     15.66      5.80      1.37     18.03      0.00     59.14
05:25:01 AM     all     12.45      0.59      0.51      2.90      0.00     83.55

'doh

So, I agreed to host another website and it appears they brought along ~1.5 gigs of images with them, and it's making the backup that much bigger, which hurt performance this morning for a bit, as, basically, we're out of RAM, so stuff doesn't get cached that often. I can remove her site's images from the backup, but that only counts for what happened around 4:30-5:15 AM CST this morning. And the backup is still getting close to six gigs even without that.

How often do you run into issue with PMs and editing/modifying posts? Is it happening less often now? I had to restart the database which purged the cache, so it would have been really bad a week ago, but if it's still going on we may have to do a fundraiser : /

jouzinka

Quote from: Vekseid on January 11, 2012, 03:54:16 PM... we may have to do a fundraiser : /
Or another Staff Auction. O:)

Like I said, it's only certain boards and even there only certain topics for me, so I suppose it has nothing to do with this...
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

Quote from: jouzinka on January 11, 2012, 04:00:08 PM
Or another Staff Auction. O:)

Like I said, it's only certain boards and even there only certain topics for me, so I suppose it has nothing to do with this...

It'd have to do with the first part of my post, though. The cache read hit rate being down to 99.96%. Which means that one in ~2,500 reads isn't going to be in cache, which, on average, will mean about one in 200 page views. Which you will remember more than those that didn't, especially as members are going to be more likely to hit that then non-members and spiders are.

Beguile's Mistress

It used to happen a lot for me over months but lately it hasn't been as bad.  I use your special help with intros a lot, too, and that's been running slow lest often as well.  It seems that tool, the PMs and the modifications are the ones I had consistent trouble with but it's not as bad any more.  I just thought is my laptop doing it and didn't want to complain.

undisclosedtoyou

Something I've also noticed, although it might not be related to this, is that over the past week a page on E will only load half way.  So I'd be scrolling down a page, and half of it will just cut off.  Which just results in me refreshing the page, and that generally fixes the problem.  Again, that's probably a problem on my end, but just in case it's not, I thought I'd share it here.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Vekseid

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on January 11, 2012, 05:16:49 PM
Something I've also noticed, although it might not be related to this, is that over the past week a page on E will only load half way.  So I'd be scrolling down a page, and half of it will just cut off.  Which just results in me refreshing the page, and that generally fixes the problem.  Again, that's probably a problem on my end, but just in case it's not, I thought I'd share it here.

Does this happen only in one browser?

olive

Me too, but only for the last few days. It hangs and lags, and sometimes will not load at all. This is all in one browser, when I have noticed it.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Vekseid on January 12, 2012, 06:13:25 AM
Does this happen only in one browser?

Yup, I haven't tried other browsers, but it only happens, for me, in Firefox.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Vekseid

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on January 12, 2012, 02:17:09 PM
Yup, I haven't tried other browsers, but it only happens, for me, in Firefox.

Thing is, unless my understanding of the way gzip-over-http works is wrong, you only begin displaying the page once you've received it all (which is actually something that pisses me off, but that's a separate rant). So if it was something with our server, you wouldn't see anything, whereas a plugin/extension or perhaps a bug in your browser (if updates stopped happening for some reason) could do that.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Vekseid on January 12, 2012, 02:41:47 PM
Thing is, unless my understanding of the way gzip-over-http works is wrong, you only begin displaying the page once you've received it all (which is actually something that pisses me off, but that's a separate rant). So if it was something with our server, you wouldn't see anything, whereas a plugin/extension or perhaps a bug in your browser (if updates stopped happening for some reason) could do that.

Yeah, when you explain it like that, it's probably my end.  In fact, I'm always getting pop ups that say a plug in has slowed or stopped working completely, so yeah, my end.  But at least I know that now, so thank you!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Aemirys

Quote from: Vekseid on January 12, 2012, 02:41:47 PM

Sometimes you just need to get up on your soapbox and have a good rant.

*gets Veks a soapbox (or any sort of box to stand on) so he can get some things off his chest*
★  O/Os  ★  A/As  ★