[Interest Check] Virtual Reality Fantasy MMO

Started by Yorubi, May 15, 2011, 04:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

Hmm. How about keep everyone starting off at a basic class level, and then, as the game reaches its conclusion (like 3/4th's of the way through), you basically hand wave it, and say each character has gotten enough experience/money/fame/done enough quests to get to the advanced class they want?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Saerrael

I love support classes <3 Clerk is it for me, than.

What THM says would work, but wouldn't that create quite the bit of surprise and confusion?
Also, it would be nice to have ( a few ) veteran players, too.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Yorubi

Hmm I possibly could. Could really just have it starting off (unless someone wanted to just go off basic) as an advanced class from the main one. If you like the idea of promotion, Its always possible to just have that one class advance up another rank or something. Hand waving is a little silly sounding. XD

Yeah, I could always make it so I make specific level areas for people to start in. Heck, if its a virus, I could be evil an revert high level characters back to level one if I wanted... muhahahaha! (Its Saerra's fault for calling me evil, it makes me think evil things). Really, in the end they probably would all end up finding themselves to be about equal if they grouped up together a lot. The lower levels would catch up more with the higher levels and it would lead them to being a strong team.

I mean heck, I could even make people roll some dice and get randomly tossed in at some level. :) Really though I don't want to make the whole levels and all the biggest focus of this game. Its nice background but I just want to make sure it doesn't over-power the story.

Saerrael

Hm, I'm not against leveling. Mind, setting the feel of the game is half the fun and leveling wouldn't be a bad thing to use that for.
But I'd advice against focussing too much on the gamemechanics to not loose focus on the roleplay.

Yorubi

Yeah I'm really trying not to do so. Right now I'm just trying to come up with a few classes which can be expanded or fixed on. Should give people enough of an idea of what they might want to do and give some restrictions. Personally I am quite lazy and don't feel like bothering with experience and all that nonsense and having to come up with all that and yada-yada anyways. It seems the focus here will be more free form then anything. If I do involve leveling, I probably would make it rather simple such as "You completed a quest, you gained a level" or something silly like that. Might not be all that instantaneous with higher levels, but I can't see making it that complex to have to tally in exp from monsters killed or what not. I can see completing general objectives would work for leveling up and not over-complicate the game to much.

Saerrael

Anyway. Bedtime for me. I'll come check in tomorrow to see how this has rolled.
By the way.. basic set up for a character sheet would be handy, too. But no rush, honestly, I'm using a template I made myself for the time being and will alter accordingly, later.

Yorubi

Yeah I'll get it up soon. I wasn't expecting so much response for this idea, so I really wasn't prepared for it to take off with so many so quickly haha. I finished a basic class run down for now. Its not permanent or anything but its something to look at and critique. Might add 1 more to each basic type though I'll probably bother with that after I figure out what the character sheet would look like.

Saerrael

Quote+Priest: A caster type focusing on divine magic. Priests are able to heal and support allies from a distance. Their magic allows them to repel away evil and do some damage to enemies. They are particularly strong against unholy creatures. Priests can only wear cloth armor.

I love you <3 *grins*

Heheheh.. Yeah.. the idea is really lovely, Yorubi.

Anyway! See you tomorrow.

Cold Heritage

Maybe I missed it in all the ideas that're bouncing around, but I think that if everyone who was dying in game went into a coma things'd get turned off pretty darned quick. Player death seems fairly common, whether from monster defeat or going off a ledge that looked like it had contiguous ground but doesn't so you fall off and die.

Also, is the idea that everyone's gonna be playing newbs?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Yorubi

Not everything does it, certain creatures that were corrupted by the virus are what causes the coma to happen. Most of this happening is in small doses. A lot of the virus is actually hidden away pretty good in spots that players aren't suppose to be in. Its a rather rare occurrence right now, though there will be issues of that likely happening further down in the RP.

TheHangedOne

Yeah, the way I saw it, their might only be a handful of players in a coma...from a game that likely has more than a million players. So it'd mostly be relegated to rumors. That's the impression I got, at least...and I would like to see it all worsen as time goes on.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Yorubi

Pretty much, and its something completely different. Cases of people falling into a coma due to some device or game hasn't happened, so really it wouldn't be likely it was pinned to that. It would be a rumor of course if it started happening more often, but chances are they would not actually link the two together. Its a really bizzaare thing that would take a little more time to pin point and argue over, even if it became more known. :)

I'll probably work on the actual game setting a bit today and the story. Probably going to lean towards a 'magic focused' world since its pretty easy to create visually impressive things and make interesting settings with that in use. Story wise I'll pretty much just take what we talked about here/in my first post and make it a bit more clean. Once that it all done, all I will need to do is figure out what I want to do regarding levels and all that 'gamish' parts so its around but not over-powering, then it should be about ready to start. :)

Cold Heritage

Ok. Sorry, I misunderstood about the in-game death = coma element.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Saerrael

I'm making my character sheet and would like to know if it would be acceptable to make an elven priest (asking both about the race and the class).

Nadir

*pretends not to be stalking Saerra*

Oooh, assassin!

*perks*

Saerrael

Nadir

Ohai Saerra, totally didn't see you there

::)

*nibbles*

On topic, how.... advanced is the system looking to be? I'm more or less a system virgin >_>

Saerrael

I think it's more about what you can/ can not do with your in-game character, Eden. I don't think we'll be rolling dices.

Yorubi, I'm just going to post my very meager profile for evaluation.

Character Name: DAîKî
Class: Priest.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Cleric: A support melee or caster class. They often wear medium armor and can use a few different types of weapons. They use divine magic as their means for strength or aiding others.
+Priest: A caster type focusing on divine magic. Priests are able to heal and support allies from a distance. Their magic allows them to repel away evil and do some damage to enemies. They are particularly strong against unholy creatures. Priests can only wear cloth armor.
Appearance:
Relatively short and quite thin.
Light blue eyes, short, white hair, fair skin.
Wears lightly coloured clothes.
Character Background:
DAîKî has always been a healing character, Richard had rolled him with that idea in mind. Though, after a few of his friends stopped playing or started to hang around with others, DAîKî has been neglected a bit. Thought Richard enjoys playing him, he's really a support character and can't be used easily to do things alone.
Recently, Richard has been but farming materials to sell and make items from, which he loathes, but there isn't much else for him to to without a nice group of friends.

Appearance:
Dark brow eyes, black hair. Medium build. Doesn't stand out (mostly due to being shy)
Wears casual clothing like jeans, t-shirt and the likes.
Personality: Shy and kindhearted but also intelligent and quite proud of preforming well both ingame as outside of it.
Though shy, he's very much a people person and, if he can get over his shyness, makes friends easily.
In-game he's much less shy and hooks up easily, too.
Background: Born into a family that was originally Japanese, Richard holds some interest in Asian culture, but not all that much. Much to the disappointment of his parents.
He's been a gamer for about 15 years now and prefers RPGs, MMOs and RTS.
Richard lives and studies in the Netherlands (HKU Utrecht)

DartimusRae

i am in. let me know when you get things going, i will draft a character for ya.

Ala Rai Sen

This looks interesting. Would there be a chance of a martial artist type class?

DartimusRae

i would think a monk-class would be almost a staple in any system. i play D&D 3.5 tabletop, and i LARP Amtgard. there's monks in both games. *shrugs*

SinXAzgard21

So.... I'd like to join in on this game, if you don't mind.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Yorubi

Ah sorry been a little busy tonight. In terms of races, I didn't think much regarding that. I suppose having like Humans/elves and what not works out well. Feel free to make other races if you like, though I think we will stick to the usual ones.

I completely forgot about monk haha. Well I think I'll be adding 1 more class to each 'basic type' since I did see them having one more.

Anyways I'll check out the profile and get back to you all soon with you in a little bit. ^^

Edit: System wise, there won't be dice involved. It would probably just complicate an idea that is already a little more complex as it is. :)