Bloodstains and Ballgowns (Interest Check/magic&tech mix/LGBT/post-apoc)

Started by Aiyanna, April 24, 2015, 12:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiyanna

Bloodstains and Ballgowns

This is the foundation of the world that will encompass the story ‘Bloodstains and Ballgowns’. If there is enough interest, I will add more information about the direction of the story, character roles/relationships, and so forth.

It’s nearly a thousand years in Earth’s future. 800 of those years passed in relative peace…until the long feared WW3 came to pass. However, the war did not come about because China finally got fed up with the US, or the US lost patience with Russia, or any other combination of human nations.

During those last 800 years, the human race actually managed to do a few things right. Science made renewable energy sources viable for just about every aspect of day-to-day life. Healthcare had defeated cancer, HIV, and AIDS. Hunger was no longer a problem. Endangered species had been rescued, the forests were being restored, people were actually caring about the land.

And that would be the undoing of our peaceful society.

With more and more people venturing out in to the wild, with less and less garbage clogging the waterways, polluting the earth, and destroying the natural havens of the world, magic decided to return. Faerie creatures, eldritch beasts, popular monsters of modern fiction, even beings for which people had no name. And even these enlightened humans reacted rather predictably.

The war between humans and magical beings spanned over fifty years, with massive casualties on both sides. It was the apocalypse that everyone had feared, just not the one anyone had expected. Eventually, the war caused the collapse of both societies, and an uneasy peace came about as everyone tried to rebuild. The survivors saw that it would be an easier road if the two sides worked together. The different races began to live together, even intermarry. And when a new government was formed, both Faerie and Humans were a part of it. A Faerie man and a human woman became the new King and Queen. Some questioned the installation of a monarchy as the head of government, but in truth, they were figureheads above the parliament and the councils.

Of course, not everyone was happy with the new cooperation between man and Faerie. Various rebel groups cropped up over the years, both human and Faerie, but were quickly defeated. Eventually people figured out that the interracial alliance was going nowhere, and malcontents kept their grumblings to themselves, or stirred up only small messes.

176, P.A.(Post-Apocalypse: a new calendar was started with the founding of the new government, marking years from the time the war ended): present day, and a new rebel faction has risen. Their message, however, is not protesting the two species working together; they protest that not enough is being done to bring them together. While only small pockets of active resistance remain, there are still many ways that humans and Faerie try to segregate themselves, without making a fuss in government. Human and Faerie only settlements are common; members of these communities despise those who are the offspring of human-Faerie pairings. The slurs and stereotypes about ‘mixed-bloods’ are far worse than any used when humans segregated members of their own race. The new rebel faction, calling themselves the White Hands, wants to stop this, and they want the government to help. The government believes that forcing the two sides together will spark another war, a war that will either remove them from power, or leave no survivors.

Will the country dissolve in to war as the rebel’s demands are ignored? If so, who will win? Will a peaceful solution be found? That’s for you to decide.

GM Roles: Rebel leader, Mixed-blood member of the royal court/government. The rebel leader role would actually go to my co-GM, so that we can keep the story moving.

Other roles will be other members of the court and government, members of the rebellion, Faeries and humans who want the races to remain separate. Maybe the King and Queen will even get involved, not satisfied to remain figureheads with such a large issue threatening the world once more. The rebel leader might need a second in command of some kind. Just have fun with it!

Character considerations:
Technology: Plenty of tech remains from before the apocalypse. Some knowledge has been lost, but enough information was stored in such a way that it survived the crash, and people have been able to rebuild. Of course, with the combination of magic and technology, there are nearly infinite possibilities. If characters have magical abilities, or skill with weapons, there are very few limits with this story, aside from the obvious (god-modding, invincible characters, etc.)

LGBT: People are far too distracted fretting about faeries and elves and vampires and such having relationships with humans to be overly worried about girls liking other girls or boys liking other boys, or both, or if a guy isn't entirely comfortable being a guy, and vice versa. Of course there are some people who will stick their noses in things that aren't their business, but for the most part, there is very little discrimination over this issue.

5-7-2015 Update:
I remembered that I should probably put some expectation of sexual content on here. Given the inclusion of supernatural beasts, mixes of magic and technology, and the post-apocalyptic setting, I think that this story belongs in the Extreme section, to be on the safe side, namely for the high possibility of incidents of bestiality. Just remember, that is not a definite thing, and all such interactions must be worked out between players beforehand. Don’t write someone in to a position they’re uncomfortable with.

Remember to tag posts that have anything above light content, so that if people don’t want to read it, they can avoid it!

5-11-2015 Update:
When you are ready, send me a PM with your character sheet, a character image no larger than 250x250, and the title 'Bloodstains and Ballgowns'. Make sure to specify whether your character belongs to the rebellion, if they are a member of or loyal to the government, or if they are neutral.

When we have enough characters to start, and my co-GM is ready with the rebel leader, I will speak with those making characters for the government or neutral, and my co-GM will speak with those with characters for the rebellion, to give you more information about the current state of the world, and the state of your respective organizations.
When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Aiyanna

BUMP!
By the way, Ladies and Gentlemen, if you have an interest in the story, but aren't sure about anything I've written here, please ask questions! I would rather answer them and get more details typed up now if that's all people need to sell them on the idea :)
Ideas
O/o's

Spiral

I am up for playing this out, but what magics are available for playable characters? Do halfbloods have magic?
It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be.

Isaac Asimov

Aiyanna

AHHHH!! Person! yay! Lol, sorry for the exuberant response.

Halfbloods do have magic, however, naturally, they are probably not quite as strong with it as their non human parent. There could be some exceptions to that; I'm not making any hard and fast rules at this point, I'm willing to work with each player on a case by case basis.

Available Magics: At first I though I would stick with the magic that you might find in more traditional mythology about Faerie-type creatures, but then I thought, why not add a bit more scientific reasoning to the mix? It seems to me that magic, and those that carry it, would evolve just like any other living thing. Humans themselves would be more advanced, considering it's a thousand years in the future, and I'm certain there would be some interesting magical abilities floating around from various species and mixed-blood humans interbreeding for nearly two hundred of those years. So, again, I'm willing to work with people. Use your imagination, I want this world to be as open and creative and fun as possible, with particular abilities and character traits not dependent on the main storyline, only enhancing it.
Ideas
O/o's

Spiral

Are there specific races of Faerie you are looking at for this or just any that fit?
It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be.

Isaac Asimov

Aiyanna

Oh you know, the usual. If it crops up in a D&D book it's probably acceptable, though most of those aren't humanoid...Elves, fairies, sprites, nymphs, dryads, sylphs, dragons, hippogryphs, griffins. If it's a creature who is commonly attributed with being able to take human shape, that sort of in-breeding is, of course, acceptable. I want this to be as open a world as I can make it, just to see what happens.
Ideas
O/o's

Spiral

Isaac Asimov

Kiric Rand

[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Aiyanna

Yay! Well, that's two :) Sadly, probably need a few more before we can start, lol. Any particular roles you are interested in? Aside from co-GM, I have someone in mind for that, just don't know if it is going to work out yet

Quote from: Kiric Rand on May 06, 2015, 07:19:46 PM
sounds entertaining

Another person! Woot! You guys are so making my day
Ideas
O/o's

Kiric Rand

not really sure on a particular role, though I am having a vision of a former solder who is now working with the rebel group, having stolen some of the military tech and now using it as a sort of soldier of fortune
[Floatright]
[/float]
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-

Aiyanna

Quote from: Kiric Rand on May 06, 2015, 07:25:32 PM
not really sure on a particular role, though I am having a vision of a former solder who is now working with the rebel group, having stolen some of the military tech and now using it as a sort of soldier of fortune

That's a good start! Now that people are showing an interest, I guess I should write up an outline of what my character is going to be like, at least. I can't wait, really, it's going to be such fun!
Ideas
O/o's

Kiric Rand

[Floatright]
[/float]

Aiyanna

Quote from: Kiric Rand on May 06, 2015, 07:43:15 PM
Now what kind of tech levels are we talking about here?

Great question! There's actually a mix of tech, as the title line suggests. Yes, many things were lost over the course of the war, but enough people and information survived that progress hasn't been set back too far. Of course, in addition to the human technology, there are many magical alternatives now as well. The only thing I'm not going to get in to for this story is space travel/space technology, or anything with time travel. Seeing the future or past with magic, sure, but not actually traveling to it. I think the post-apocalyptic and magic mix will give us enough to play with.

More specifically, which is what I think you were asking, here's a brief list of things that would be available in this world:

Weapons:
-Manual weapons (swords, knives, bows, axes, etc.) Faerie creatures never stopped using these, and humans have started again since electric, laser, and mechanical weapons are now fairly rare and very expensive. There has been an effort to repair and reopen the factories that produce such things, with some success, but it's still very much a work in progress. This goes for just about any manmade commodity, though other areas have seen more effort from the population en masse.

Medical/Scientific:
Many of the worst diseases, such as AIDS, HIV, cancer, polio, leprosy, etc., were eliminated before the war, and new ones have yet to emerge and take their place. Of course, common illnesses like colds and flus are still prevalent, as they evolve too quickly for even these advanced humans to defeat entirely, but disease is largely a worry of the past. Infection and poison are still risks, though, particularly with the various magical creatures reemerging in the world with previously unseen toxins in and on their bodies. However, magical healing can help with all but the worst of these, if the patient is reached in time by a healer of sufficient strength.

Entertainment:
Television and movies still exist, though the devices that make them usable are few and far between. Internet service has basically vanished for the general public, but there are still satellites transmitting signals, if a person has the right talent to access them. A more rare talent in this day and age, but not unheard of. Of course the 'internet' of a thousand years in the future is a far more sophisticated thing than by current standards. That;s not to say people don't know how to have a good time. There is still a thriving music and acting culture, perhaps even more diverse and exotic as it was before the war, with both Faerie and humans bringing their own unique tastes and cultures to the mix. People still enjoy shows of various talents as well, from traditional displays like juggling and weapon's skills, too awe-inspiring magical demonstrations. 
Ideas
O/o's

Kiric Rand

ok, so kinda Shadowrun-ish tech without the over abundance to projectile weapons. Because I was thinking as a former solder he might have an exoskeleton like thing and one weapon from his service, though he rarely uses it. But due to these techs being usually military only, it allows him to charge pretty much whatever price he wants.
[Floatright]
[/float]

Aiyanna

I never did anything with shadowrun, so I'll have to take your word on that. Another word on weapons: there are some 'laser' weapons, like you'd see in star wars, stargate, star trek, whatever, but there are also still some projectile weapons, the rounds and sights and whatnot just do really cool things that current weapon technology can't. Also, a bow like what Hawkeye uses in the Avengers would be a perfectly acceptable weapon. Just remember to make your character balanced, when you write him. That exoskeleton thing could be fairly OP if not handled correctly, and I don't want the story to revolve around just the fighting. Plenty of the battles in this rebellion will be fought on a ballroom floor, in a council chamber, maybe in a bedroom (or more than one), and in other, non-violent competitions.
Ideas
O/o's

Kiric Rand

No, I agree that if not done right it could be op, i was thinking it was just a form of military only armor. Nothing fancy. The character I have in mind is kinda of the old soldier type, one who, while he would try, might stick out in a political setting.
[Floatright]
[/float]

Aiyanna

Perfectly acceptable, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Ideas
O/o's

Kiric Rand

I will get something written up soon, today kinda beat me to hell
[Floatright]
[/float]

Aiyanna

Updated first post, remember to read the new addition to stay up to date!
Ideas
O/o's

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Aiyanna

Ideas
O/o's

Elf

This looks very interesting. I am now thinking about the character I would bring into this world.

Chrystal

Okay, pure Chrystal-bait!

High-tech AND magic? YUM!

Are you still looking for a Co-GM? I have a couple of potential characters that could be adapted to fit, although she would be female, and probably not a flying monkey (although that could be interesting).

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, count me in, even if you don't need the Co-GM.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Aiyanna

Quote from: Chrystal on May 10, 2015, 05:43:44 AM
Okay, pure Chrystal-bait!

High-tech AND magic? YUM!

Are you still looking for a Co-GM? I have a couple of potential characters that could be adapted to fit, although she would be female, and probably not a flying monkey (although that could be interesting).

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, count me in, even if you don't need the Co-GM.

Oh, goodie, another girl! I was starting to wonder what to do about that gender imbalance...

No, I am not still looking for a co-GM, but thank you for the offer. Welcome to the story :)
Ideas
O/o's

Chrystal

Uh... I'm afraid you still have a "gender imbalance": I'm gay!

But I generally I don't join games like this for the smut but for the action...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!