Skip to last post

Started by Sabetha, June 30, 2008, 01:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabetha

Is there any way to add a "jump to last post" button within a thread?  Sometimes I click a topic that sounds interesting and then want to skip to the end.  Other times I mean to choose the last post from the topic index, but for one reason or another it doesn't happen that way.  I know you can choose the last page, but then you have to space down the page.  I guess it isn't the end of the world, but it is a bit of an annoyance.

GothicFires

If you got to your profile and select Look and Layout Preferences under Modify Profile you will see the option to 'show most recent posts at top'. It is the second check box from the bottom. If you check this box and click 'change details', it will show the last post first for all stories. I prefer this because generally i only read through a story once. If i am following it I only need to see the posts made since I last checked. Of course the games I am in... I only need to see the last post anyway.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Xillen

For the games you're in yourself, you can always use the "new" button, which brings you to the first unread post.

calamity

I tend to use my "End" key for that.  :D
O&O

Sabetha

Yeah Vix, but sometimes you're on a different page.  So then you have to get to the bottom of the page, go to the last page, and then go to the bottom of the page again...

And yes, I am complaining about two extra steps... *hangs head*

calamity

Quote from: Sabetha on July 03, 2008, 01:28:49 AM
Yeah Vix, but sometimes you're on a different page.  So then you have to get to the bottom of the page, go to the last page, and then go to the bottom of the page again...

And yes, I am complaining about two extra steps... *hangs head*
:P

But you can click the last page from the index view!  *giggles*
O&O

Xillen

Indeed. And even if you forgot it there, it's also at the top of the page.

I notice thought that, at least on IE6, End doesn't really work if you use it too early, before it's done loading. Seems like the cursor gets locked somewhere.

Paradox

On the far right side of the screen, right next to the vertical scroll bar in the Forum/Index view, there is a button next to every thread. Click on it, and it'll take you to the most recent post in that thread.

The button looks like this:

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Sabetha

Paradox, that's from the index page.  I meant from within the thread.  For example, when I enter the Steambox, it always takes me to the last post I visited, when most often I want to be at the most recent posts.  I have to skip to the last page and then skip to the bottom to see what someone just said...

It isn't really the biggest deal, and it seems I'm the only one who has a problem with it.

Xillen

Wouldn't that be a simple matter of clicking the last page number and then "Go Down", both of which are at the top? The "Go Down" link doesn't refresh the page, so it doesn't cost extra time.

Trieste

Quote from: Sabetha on July 03, 2008, 02:42:27 PM
Paradox, that's from the index page.  I meant from within the thread.  For example, when I enter the Steambox, it always takes me to the last post I visited, when most often I want to be at the most recent posts.  I have to skip to the last page and then skip to the bottom to see what someone just said...

It isn't really the biggest deal, and it seems I'm the only one who has a problem with it.

If you click it from 'topics unread', it goes to the last page. :)

Xillen

Quote from: Trieste on July 09, 2008, 12:12:33 PM
If you click it from 'topics unread', it goes to the last page. :)

Only if you read all the posts from the earlier pages ;)

There is yet another option, though. in your profile, on the "Look and Layout Preferences" page, you can enable "Show most recent posts at the top", which will save you from scrolling down.