NEBULA HIGH - Super Powered High School! (Reboot - Closed for Now)

Started by LunarSage, January 11, 2013, 07:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Should I post Tess in the character thread?

And the way I figure for her, is she has virtually no control over her powers. Touching her is going to be shocking :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

LunarSage

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 13, 2013, 02:48:26 PM
Should I post Tess in the character thread?

And the way I figure for her, is she has virtually no control over her powers. Touching her is going to be shocking :P

Isn't she already posted in there?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

ShadowFox89

Oh, right, sorry. Thought I had to post her there :P

I should probably start bookmarking...
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Major Major

Ciosa

Just out of curiosity, Lunar - I understand how active powers are going to require training to fine tune their control - how is Connor's super intelligence going to work?  will it 'fritz' on him from time to time?  Or is it passive and 'always on?'

LunarSage

Quote from: Major Major on January 13, 2013, 03:06:31 PM
I was wondering, was I included in this, or tossed out?

You're still listed as in, Major Major.  Josi coded you in as "Interested" but with an unfinished sheet.

Quote from: Ciosa on January 13, 2013, 03:07:49 PM
Just out of curiosity, Lunar - I understand how active powers are going to require training to fine tune their control - how is Connor's super intelligence going to work?  will it 'fritz' on him from time to time?  Or is it passive and 'always on?'

No, nothing like that.  But it will be very easy to get frustrated with all the perceived stupidity around it and avoid coming off as arrogant all the time with intelligence that high.  You'd realistically feel like you're so above everyone that very few people can even relate to you.  It can be lonely to be that smart.

Major Major

LunarSage

Ciosa

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2013, 03:13:35 PM.

No, nothing like that.  But it will be very easy to get frustrated with all the perceived stupidity around it and avoid coming off as arrogant all the time with intelligence that high.  You'd realistically feel like you're so above everyone that very few people can even relate to you.  It can be lonely to be that smart.

Oh, fully plan on it.  He's going to get his butt kicked a lot, I think.  I pictured a trip or two a day to the nurse.

Major Major

Cold Heritage

I think this is pretty well in the bag. Let me know.

NAME: Michael White

NOM DE GUERRE: None yet

PLAYER: Cold Heritage

SEXUAL ORIENTATION: Heterosexual

POSITION/GRADE: 10

ORIGIN: Super-Science

RESIDENCE: Brazil/Under the Sea

PARENTS AND RELATIVES OF NOTE: Ernst Oeming, 'Godfather' (in prison); Ilsa Haupstein, biological mother (deceased); Hans Günsche, biological father (deceased); Atticus Savage, adoptive 'father' (in therapy)

POWERS: Major: Superhuman Strength (covering things like lifting capacity, how hard he can hit, jumping really high, running fast by virtue of powerful leg muscles, and offering as of yet untapped potential for more esoteric applications like exhaling with force comparable to high winds), Minor: Superhuman Stamina (covering things like resistance to damage, disease, poisons/toxins, radiation, and other hazards; allowing prolonged periods of exertion before suffering exhaustion as well allowing extended periods of deprivation before suffering deleterious effects; he does not heal at an accelerated rate, but he will heal completely from harm sustained if given sufficient time). Although currently on the higher end of the spectrum for a superhuman of his powerset, age, and experience (which is, of course, still less than a mature hero serving as an instructor or as a Sentinel), Michael will continue to become more powerful with age  - assuming he lives to get older - without ever reaching a plateau. (this is intended as a caveat that the character's powers are not static)

The Appearance

An Image

EYE COLOR: Blue

HAIR COLOR: Black

HEIGHT: 7'10"

WEIGHT: 726 lbs.

BODY TYPE: Hulking

APPEARANCE:

Beyond the Image

DISLIKES: The Weight of History; People Prying Into His History

TALENTS: Tai Chi; pankration; playing the cello; gymnastics; acrobatics; emotional control; concealing emotions and reactions

CHARACTER TRAITS: Withdrawn; Secretive; Emotionally Vulnerable; Socially Obtuse

PERSONALITY: Although Michael may resemble a jock, he lacks their confidence and certainty. He is scared of other people finding out what he really is. He does not socialize as well as others his age; he misses cues and references that one would expect of someone his age. Michael wishes to be liked and validated, and it is difficult for him to deal with rejections that others would take in stride.

History: The von Klempt-Napyeer Process, pioneered is a method of genetic manipulation discovered in the 1930s. It was a discovery many years ahead of its time. It was a discovery based upon conclusions derived from highly unethical, morally repugnant experiments upon unwilling human subjects. The scientists involved faced no punishment for their actions; the majority were recruited by the Allies, some by the Soviet Union, and a few fled to South America. Ernst Oeming was the son of one of the scientists who fled to South America. Ernst shared his father's dreams, and employing the resources secreted away, toiled to create an army worthy of the horrible, shattered nightmare that had scarred Europe so deeply and his father desired so profoundly to resurrect. Oeming's work bore fruit, but some of his peers drew attention. In time, forces of good came to put an end to it all; Oeming still lives, a prisoner of the most secure prison upon Earth.

Michael was one of the products of Oeming's careful work. Cryogenically frozen as an infant in equipment that had been smuggled into the United States, Michael might not have been anything more if not for Atticus Savage, a legacy hero who faced off against legacy villains. After a battle that saw the cryogenic equipment keeping Michael in stasis damaged, Atticus took the infant and raised it as his own, woefully ignorant that he had also set into motion the resuscitation of other infants. Only two other infants survived - the others suffered from complications in resuscitation or genetic flaws, and perished. The two that remained would go on to become Terrence and Tiffany-Lynn Terror, a pair of juvenile delinquents with dreams of graduation to full-on supervillainy. They terrorize the state of Texas and Louisiana.

The upbringing that Michael had was by several measures fantastic. He was well fed, clothed, and had a roof over his head. He did not suffer deprivation or hardship. His instructors and companions were androids. They lacked sentience and sapience, but they were advanced enough that an otherwise unsocialized boy could not tell the difference or know any better. Michael learned everything that a normal boy his age would learn, and then some: he was taught tai chi, gymnastics, and acrobatics to help him gain control over the power that made it necessary for him to be housed in an isolated complex constructed at the bottom of the ocean. It was perhaps not entirely necessary, but Atticus wanted contingencies in place in the event that nature proved ascendant over nurture - the debut of the Terror Twins entirely vindicated his actions in his eyes. At age ten Michael began to learn to play the cello and pankration. He learned both primarily from an android that he had taken to calling Aristotle, although whether it was consistently the same android is not something Michael could be certain of.

Atticus was, sadly, incapacitated and traumatized by his arch-nemesis, the super-villain Gradelino. With Atticus in therapy with the finest minds of the superhero community, Michael continued his training without knowing anything had gone awry. As Atticus made progress, he managed to inform the DSA of the undersea base's existence and requested that the DSA taken Michael under its wing. The DSA complied, and sent agents to the undersea base. They were somewhat perturbed that the entire affair was set to explode upon command in a blast whose magnitude measured in the thousands of kilotons, but after Aristotle urged Michael to go with the agents, they achieved their goal. Michael was sent off to Nebula High, where he could be instructed to, perhaps, become a productive member of society.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

LunarSage

Quote from: Major Major on January 13, 2013, 03:48:24 PM
How does Marty look now, oh wise and powerful GMs?

He's looking good, though his history still looks incomplete.  Is there more you wanted to add?

ColdHeritage:  Your character looks good, though you need to determine, is your Strength your Major Power or is your Endurance your Major Power?  Whichever you choose, the other will be the minor and thus not quite as potent as the Major.

Captain Indestructible for example had his Major as Invulnerability, with Strength being his Minor... though as a fully trained adult, his Strength has risen to higher levels.

kingmaster1

Can Jet have a pet cat he carries around? :3

I would really like it if he just has a little cat that hangs around and follows him, jumping on his back every now and then and in general being his friend. Also, I don't know if I made this clear in the history, if it's a problem I'll get rid of it, but I plan on him having a sword...is that okay?

LunarSage

Quote from: kingmaster1 on January 13, 2013, 04:06:04 PM
Can Jet have a pet cat he carries around? :3

I would really like it if he just has a little cat that hangs around and follows him, jumping on his back every now and then and in general being his friend. Also, I don't know if I made this clear in the history, if it's a problem I'll get rid of it, but I plan on him having a sword...is that okay?

No pets at school, sorry.  They can't make exceptions.  He can keep a pet in his dorm or whatnot, but when in class he can't have an animal with him.

Sword?  You're going to have to explain that more in depth.  A special sword?  If he has some sort of special weapon he'd have to have it be one of his powers.  A normal sword?  No, that wouldn't be allowed.  It's still a high school.

Major Major

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2013, 04:04:17 PM
He's looking good, though his history still looks incomplete.  Is there more you wanted to add?

Is there anything you could suggest I add to fill it out?

LunarSage

Quote from: Major Major on January 13, 2013, 04:10:25 PM
Is there anything you could suggest I add to fill it out?

The last bit you filled out on your history was "the necklace was left on top of a pile of DVDs".  We'd like to know what happened next.  :-)

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

kingmaster1

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2013, 04:09:24 PM
No pets at school, sorry.  They can't make exceptions.  He can keep a pet in his dorm or whatnot, but when in class he can't have an animal with him.

Sword?  You're going to have to explain that more in depth.  A special sword?  If he has some sort of special weapon he'd have to have it be one of his powers.  A normal sword?  No, that wouldn't be allowed.  It's still a high school.

Okay, I'll let the cat be in his dorm then and just forget about the sword, I didn't really refrence it in the profile beyond "abilities in bladed combat", so I'll just leave it at that. Saying he could use a knife or sword wouldn't mean he has one :-)

AndyZ

If I might offer the suggestion, perhaps he has a sword in the gymnasium with the weapons teacher but isn't allowed to carry it around campus?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

kingmaster1

Quote from: AndyZ on January 13, 2013, 04:26:15 PM
If I might offer the suggestion, perhaps he has a sword in the gymnasium with the weapons teacher but isn't allowed to carry it around campus?

I'd be happy with that, so he has the training I mentioned without carrying the weapon :-)

LunarSage

The problem is that having a sword doesn't really have anything to do with his powerset and how he would use it to fight crime.

At least that's how the school would see it. 

A guy who's whole powerset involves them being a super swordsman with a magic sword or somesuch?  That'd be different.

Quote from: kingmaster1 on January 13, 2013, 04:27:24 PM
I'd be happy with that, so he has the training I mentioned without carrying the weapon :-)

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being little to no training with a weapon and 10 being like (as a canon example) Captain America, Wolverine or Batman, what level of skill were you wanting?

ShadowFox89

Maybe we should start using a 1-10 scale system with stuff :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

kingmaster1

I would essentially just want it to be a volunteer style of fighting he would want to be in, and in no way would he be an expert at it but would be a student studying it. So on a scale of 1 to 10...probably like a 4 and wanting to improve.

I guess that since it's not a part of his power it's not necessary but I was thinking it could work for him having a portable source of metal in case of an emergency. Then again...I don't know...I guess the whole thing's becoming a bit too complicated to be worth it :P

LunarSage

A 4 is cool.

I was under the impression that in order to "armor" himself up like Colossus he would need metal equal or greater than his own mass.  Is that the case?

kingmaster1

Yes, for the most part he would need to take it from an area that could, if melted down, would cover his body, namely a large amount, but he can also cover certain parts of his body at once, like just his hand or his arm and a sword would be enough to cover his arm.