Warhammer 40K Steampunk (Why isn't this a real thing!)

Started by Inkidu, April 28, 2013, 02:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

In the grim dark era of unprecedented technological advancement there is only war...

So, I was looking for a new avatar and I tried finding someone who did 40K steampunk avatars, but besides a few custom paint jobs there wasn't much out there. I can't be the only person who would want something like this.

Blame Hemingway, in my time away from here all that stuff he said about 40K made me look. While getting into the table-top game proper would cost a pretty penny I have been getting into the games and books. Damn it if it's kitchen sink approach isn't fun.

Think about it: Orks could wear torn suits, the space marines would have steam powered jump packs, the Tau could be a mishmash of WWII Imperial Japan and robot suit.

The amount of awesomeness going through my brain is absurd. @_@
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Careful there...Steampunk and 40K are a dangerous combination. If you venture too far down that road, you'll eventually find what's left of the Squ-[REMAINDER OF POST SEALED BY ORDER OF THE HOLY INQUISITION]

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 28, 2013, 05:04:41 PM
Careful there...Steampunk and 40K are a dangerous combination. If you venture too far down that road, you'll eventually find what's left of the Squ-[REMAINDER OF POST SEALED BY ORDER OF THE HOLY INQUISITION]
Yes but an Ork wearing a monocle just might be worth it. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Aruetii

Heresy! *Blam.* Only the God-Emperor of Mankind may wear monocles!

On another note, it could be a pretty interesting thing to see. Necrons are just steam powered suits of armor.
"Vlad loves Assamites."
-Suzanne.

TheGlyphstone

I'd think Necrons would be better as overtly clockwork automatons, with exposed gears and stuff everywhere.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 28, 2013, 06:45:14 PM
I'd think Necrons would be better as overtly clockwork automatons, with exposed gears and stuff everywhere.
I was thinking this but with mummy wrappings (because the exploration of Egypt was such a big deal in the Victorian/WWI era) that use Tesla tech as weapons. Also, they'd be kind of tarnished Arabic art deco.

The only one I haven't quite got down is the Eldar.

Shjade

The Eldar are steam elementals. Steam that wears armor and wields weaponry which is powered by themselves.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

That might work. However the Adeptus Astartes power armor is steam-powered. Space Marine isn't as apt anymore so I was thinking either the Steam Marines or Imperial Marines.

The Orks are easily though, after all, "WAAAAAAAAAAGH! Old boy."

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on April 28, 2013, 08:39:49 PM
But...Steampunk doesn't mean British...?
But the Orks started life as a mockery of British football clubs, I'm just getting recursive on that stuff.

Unless you're talking about Imperial Marines. Which I thought the British called the Marines the Royal Marines.

It's got some British though sure but the chaos faction was going to be pulled right out of the Ottoman Empire and Germany for they style.

The Imperial Guard might as well be Tommies and Doughboys

HairyHeretic

The Imperium has some Germanic flavour, but I wouldn't say Chaos does.

As for the Imperial Guard
Valhallans - WW2 Soviet style Russians
Atillans - Mongol horsemen
Vostroyans - Tzarist Russians
Tallarns - Semi Arabic desert fighters

I can't think of any regiments offhand which I would identify as being particularly British.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 08:43:56 AM
The Imperium has some Germanic flavour, but I wouldn't say Chaos does.

As for the Imperial Guard
Valhallans - WW2 Soviet style Russians
Atillans - Mongol horsemen
Vostroyans - Tzarist Russians
Tallarns - Semi Arabic desert fighters

I can't think of any regiments offhand which I would identify as being particularly British.
Yeah, but a steampunk setting would naturally less Earth-centric in regards to humanity. I wouldn't want to split it down to Central versus Allies, but the initial thing I envisioned for the humans was a group of quasi-Luddites.

HairyHeretic

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying there.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 09:01:26 AM
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying there.
It's more like humanity makes up all the big imperial powers of the 19th and early 20th Century. To ward off the the savage xenos from the rest of the world of course.

HairyHeretic

If you're not familiar with, have a look at Dystopian Wars

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/games/dystopian-wars

You might get some interesting ideas from their models and technologies.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 09:37:35 AM
If you're not familiar with, have a look at Dystopian Wars

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/games/dystopian-wars

You might get some interesting ideas from their models and technologies.
That's neat, but I don't think I could actually make Warhammer Steam Age (WH: 19K? 20K?). I just thought'd it be something cool to throw around, but if any fans of the game proper want to try and make it be my guest.

Find good artists. :D

HairyHeretic

I enjoy my 40k a lot, but a steampunk version doesn't really appeal. The only other period I'd want to play in would be during the Horus Heresy.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 09:52:10 AM
I enjoy my 40k a lot, but a steampunk version doesn't really appeal. The only other period I'd want to play in would be during the Horus Heresy.
Well, I just thought it'd be neat. Since 40K was the IN SPACE! version of Warhammer at first it'd be neat to do a IN STEAMPUNK version of the IN SPACE version which is arguably more popular than Warhammer. :\

HairyHeretic

Just because something doesn't interest me doesn't mean that other people won't enjoy it. :)

I've been playing 40k literally since it came out. I grew up with the *ahem* unique stuff in Rogue Trader .. like the Inquisitor Obi-wan Sherlock Clouseau. I remember the Squats. I remember the Sensei, and other things that have been retconned out of existance.

I guess I'm too set in the way the 40k universe is now to have all that much of an interest in a variation of it, if that makes sense.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 10:07:58 AM
Just because something doesn't interest me doesn't mean that other people won't enjoy it. :)

I've been playing 40k literally since it came out. I grew up with the *ahem* unique stuff in Rogue Trader .. like the Inquisitor Obi-wan Sherlock Clouseau. I remember the Squats. I remember the Sensei, and other things that have been retconned out of existance.

I guess I'm too set in the way the 40k universe is now to have all that much of an interest in a variation of it, if that makes sense.
I know I was just kind of explaining why I was doing it.

Also enjoy the imperial assassins for mentioning the you-know-whats. :D

BlightRaptor

Inkidu

consortium11

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 08:43:56 AM

The Praetorians were explicitly created as the 40k version of the redcoats in Africa during the Zulu wars and the Armageddon Steel Legion's uniform has a lot of WW1 British Army elements to it.

HairyHeretic

True, I forgot about the Praetorians.

Steel Legion I'd be inclined to say WW1 Germans rather than British. Death Korps of Kreig are similar.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

consortium11

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 29, 2013, 02:09:38 PM
True, I forgot about the Praetorians.

Steel Legion I'd be inclined to say WW1 Germans rather than British. Death Korps of Kreig are similar.

The Steel Legion's coats are straight from the WW1 British army (British 1914 Utility Tunic) and the gas masks are of the British design while their helmets are based on German paratrooopers. Death Korps are undoubtedly German influenced.