Assassin's Creed II Discussion

Started by Inkidu, November 16, 2009, 05:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Because killing people never gets old.

Anyway, I kind of just wanted to get all my inner build-up about this game out, before I play it. Which is going to be awhile. My brother is actually buying it though I put down the reservation fee. >,> make of it what you will...

It was actually quite childish of me to think this was awesome but when I heard the assassin had two hidden blades (Seriously, just one more. Normally +1 anything doesn't really register.) I totally nerded out. Total disregard for my dignity.

I feel ashamed, but it's awesome!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Actually, one thing that always bothered me was the missing Ring Finger thing with the blade.  In AC 2 that doesn't seem the case, which I find is cool.  And the fact that you can carry different weapons is just COOL!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

consortium11

I'm cautiously hopeful.

The first game was great the first time you played it, but the replay value was negligable (even without the fact you had to sit through a 7 minute cutscene to replay with all the ailities/equipment). Even with how awesome it was (and part of that was no dout the fact it was the first next-gen game I played and the graphics blew my mind when I arrived at my first city) the gameplay was at heart repetative and too often it changed from "Assassin's Creed" to "Super Rambo Soldier Creed".

I'll get it and proaly enjoy it, ut I really hope they've dealt with some of those issues.

Inkidu

They've made it harder to heal. You have to seek out doctors or use medicine so no more "Hide and Sync" you have to plan you fights better. There are also increased combat mechanics. It seems like they've really listened to what the gamers want.

I for one loved the missing ring finger. It's the traditional trademark of the assassin.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

consortium11

I haven't really been paying attention (other than watching the first trailer/movie); how have they changed the combat?

One of the problems with the original was that once you got the timing down combat became stupidly easy. Activate assassin's blade, sit in lock/defensive stance and counter each attack with a one-hit kill... made even better by the fact guards retched and pointed after allowing you to take out 2 or 3 at a go. Even bosses could be one-shotted...

Callie Del Noire

Okay..

Missing Ring Finger: the dude from the original game did away with that requirement (as well as allowing poison)

Medicine: That isn't a big deal. You still get a bit of a heal with a assaination kill, and by the time you're far into the game (post 4th act/phase) anyone with a lick of sense will have boughtup 15 medicine slows. Not to mention you occasionally get medicine back from looting bodies (Yeah you can loot too)

Chris Brady

The combat system is slicker, and the double handblades are very nice...  Having too much fun to do anything else...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

The nice thing about combat now is that even if you get the counter kill right, they can still defend against it. They'll jump back and block and do stuff. The timing is also variable as to what weapon you're using.

Now you can do unarmed counters as well. You can also throw sand in people's eyes and a whole bit of other nice touches.

Ryven

Quote from: Inkidu on November 18, 2009, 04:17:12 PM
They've made it harder to heal. You have to seek out doctors or use medicine so no more "Hide and Sync" you have to plan you fights better. There are also increased combat mechanics. It seems like they've really listened to what the gamers want.

I for one loved the missing ring finger. It's the traditional trademark of the assassin.

Healing isn't that hard.  No, you don't regen health over time, but you get enough money to visit doctors and you are allowed to carry medicine which fully heals you for one use.  Your first pouch carries 5 of them.  Doctors aren't hard to find either.  There seems to be one decently close by wherever you are.

They have made it a bit harder to run away though.  You can no longer just hide in a bale of hay when you break their line of sight.  Instead, I believe you have to be a certain distance away from where you've been seen and then either hide or keep their line of sight broken for a period of time.

Callie Del Noire

Anyone else tearing their hair out on some of 'The Truth' segments?

Drake Valentine

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but I do have a question. Just don't give anything major spolier related for answer. ;o

Does the guy from the first one, I can't remember his name haven't played game in awhile, the dude they captured and made him go through all those past visions of his ancestor, does he have more of a 'story' persay in II? Or is it just the same with him not doing anything but taking breaks/intermissions to talk? ;o

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Callie Del Noire

There is more of a story with him. (It was kind of light on the first.. but it was there). It's a BIGGER factor in the story now.

Drake Valentine

Well that is good to know, he really didn't do jack squat in the first one. ^_^ I guess I'll have to look into getting the game sometime soon-ish then.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Callie Del Noire

I don't want to say too much. You also get to play Altair again

Drake Valentine

Eh, so it is divided in three story arcs then or is Altair just temporarily?

Callie Del Noire

Just the one 'flashback' (about 15 minutes or so)

Drake Valentine

Ah, I see, well I'll leave it at that then. ^-^ Thanks for indulging my curiosity, have fun with ya'lls discussion, perhaps I can join in later myself when/if/after I played the game some.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Drake Valentine on November 20, 2009, 08:00:45 PM
Ah, I see, well I'll leave it at that then. ^-^ Thanks for indulging my curiosity, have fun with ya'lls discussion, perhaps I can join in later myself when/if/after I played the game some.

So far.. we'll have to see if there is more. :D

Ryven

I have only 1 more segment of The Truth to get, and I already unlocked Altair's armor.  I have to say, they've done a good job with filling in more spots from the first one.  Desmond does have a bigger role, but there is also much more uncovered.  They're setting it up perfectly for another sequel, and I almost can't wait.

I must admit that I bought the strategy guide the other day, but barring 1 of the truth segments, I haven't needed to use it yet.  I'm kinda proud that I figured out almost all of the truth puzzles on my own.  A couple of friends helped me with others, and I used the guide for one.  Everything else I have been able to do on my own.  I think what I will use the guide most for is finding all the feathers since they're spread out all over the place.  I've found 1/3 of them just by running around and doing the story.