Pathfinder Pirates (Skulls & Shackles Inspired, Pathfinder, NC/EX)

Started by PixelatedPixie, June 06, 2018, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedPixie

I have been away for a couple of months, but would like to try and get something started now that I have returned.  If you were in one of my other games, I have posted in OOC in (I think) all of them.  I just mention that here as a note.

I would like to try and run a 2-5 player Pathfinder game loosely inspired by the Skull & Shackles adventure path.  I say loosely as it may or may not be completely different depending on how things develop, but at the very least I am using it as the basis and starting point.  I am fine with players who have previous experience with Skull & Shackles, as well as those who don’t.

I am open to more concepts than Skull & Shackles may be designed for, and am not going to require that characters want to be pirates. So a more selfish pirate-style character is fine, but so is a more heroine-style one who is just in the wrong place at the wrong time and caught up in it all.

The characters will have been in Port Peril, and had all been drinking at the Formidably Maid.  They were drugged and dumped in the hold of a pirate ship.  The game will begin there, with the characters already kidnapped, missing their gear, and facing immense peril to their life, dignity, and morality.

I intend for this game to be smut heavy, and due to the setup, it will probably get into things quickly.  As I prefer M/F content and to write men (or male monsters) when GMing, I am mainly looking for female characters (I don't care what players are).  This isn’t a strict requirement, but I thought I should put it out there.  If someone does want to play a male character, I would prefer one that is somewhat villainous, but that can still work with the rest of the party.

The smut will be rated Extreme, and at a minimum a player needs to be comfortable with their character being involved in non-consensual exotic content.  Comfort with Extreme content is preferred, but not required, and I will do my best to spoiler such content as necessary.  Content could involve long periods of captivity/slavery, nonconsensual sex, bondage, pain, and maybe stuff such as body swapping, body modification, pregnancy, and so on.

Character Creation
Level 2
25 Point Buy
Max HP

I will be using the Background Skills rules as outlined in the below link.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/

2 Traits, one of which must* be from the Skull & Shackles Players Guide (which is freely available from Paizo, and probably other places).  A drawback and a 3rd trait is allowed as well.  *As I mentioned above I don't mind some non-pirate concepts, so I might be open to campaign traits from other sources if they can be tailored to this one and don't seem overpowered.

1000GP starting gold, but characters will start with little (if any) of their equipment.  I will ask that players send their gear to me as a list, instead of putting it on their sheet. 

Paizo content only, no third party. 

If you are interested, please post a class and a brief bit about your character!  I won't be going first come first served, and want to keep things fairly small, so doing a full sheet right off could end up being a waste of time.

Blinkin

Oh, I can't resist this one!

Myranda Miller

Name: Myranda Miller
Sex: Female
Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade)/bard (Archeologist)
Level: 2

Physical Description:

Myranda is a striking woman with deep, fiery red hair  that falls in waves to just below her shoulders around an oval face dominated by bright, intelligent emerald green eyes and full, kissable lips. Straight, red eyebrows and a narrow, slightly upturned nose in a lightly tanned complexion complete the visage of a truly attractive young woman.

A long, slender neck, feminine shoulders and perky, well formed breasts flow into a taunt waistline before flaring out again into well rounded hips and a lovely, tight rear. Lean, long legs and rounded arms completes the image. Most often dressed in a loose tunic that’s tucked into well fitted trousers that hugs her hips, a well worn pair of turned down boots with a sash about her waist, the rapier at her right side seems almost like an afterthought… but clearly has been well used. When she strikes that defiant pose, hip cocked to one side and arms crossed under her breasts… only that little wway that that slender red eyebrow rises gives away the flirt that resides inside.

Personality:

Myranda is a complicated and sometimes conflicted woman. In her heart, she’s a fiercely loyal and passionate woman; prone to flighty, even girlish behavior with a decided bent toward the baudy with those closest to her. To the outside world, she displays a distant, even ruthless image that only heightens the mystery that is so much a part of her allure.

Fiercely devoted to her friends, when you reach that lofty position, you will not find a more loyal comrade; if you double-cross her or show yourself to be an enemy… well, enjoy what time you may have left.

After years of life experience and facing dangers that might chill the blood, Myranda has learned two important lessons; live life with all you have and never pass up the opportunity to annoy someone. Prone to bad puns, witty comments and irreverent thoughts at the most inopportune moments, it can be hard to resist her unique charm. Equally at home in a tavern, the decks of a ship or the arms of a lover… Hey, women can wench too… they just call it something else… Myranda sometimes has more energy and curiosity than might be healthy for herself or those around her… but she’s just so damned cute while doing it!

Myranda tries hard to talk her way out of trouble; often relying on her attractiveness and wit, she is not averse to the use of force when necessary and even savors the test of arms against another; the dance of the blade and speed a natural place for her to find herself in.

Through all of her incarnations, there are some things that hold true at all times. Myranda clearly has a strict code of conduct… a strong basis of morals and principles that she never crosses… What they are may not always be clear, but the trust in her sticking to them is never in doubt.

Background:

The youngest child of wealthy merchants in Andor, Myranda lacked for little in her youth… except for freedom. Betrothed to a noble’s son at the age of 14, Myranda’s life seemed set in stone and her future planned out without any thought of what she might actually want… so she left.

Well, left may be a little bit of an understatement… she escaped with all the subtleness of a rampaging griffin and made sure to take as much with her as she could in the process! Sadly, at 16, her experience in life was sorely lacking and her limited resources were quickly exhausted and her father’s men were hot on her trail… So she did the only thing that she could think of.

No, she didn’t join a circus… she joined a ship’s crew leaving on the morning’s tide and literally yards from the grasp of her pursuers!

Myranda learned much on her year long experience on the open seas… one of them being that officers were as happy to bed a girl as a cook… and that if you played the game well, you always came out on top. When she stepped back on shore again, she had a firm foundation on the finer points of swordplay and the love of the Dance, as she called it.

Unfortunately, Myranda has ever had a touch of wonderlust and her feet didn’t remain on dry groundfor very long before she had to find the deck of a ship again and she wasn’t being too particular about which ship. The sea is the sea and does it really matter what side you’re on when the sails are booming in the wind and the salty spray is on your face?

Myranda has found herself between ships of late and has been bunking with a good looking rogue for the last couple of weeks in Port Peril; waiting on the next promising adventure.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

schnookums

Ooh, definitely interested, will post an idea when I get home from work. Any preferences/restrictions on races?

PixelatedPixie

Looks good Blinkin!  I like her.

schnookums
I tend to prefer human or near-human I suppose, I am not a fan of Tengu or similar for example.  But as long as they are official Paizo I won't reject anything out of hand.

Petrus02

Thorne

Interested. Not sure who/what I have, but .. interested. okay, scratch that, I know who I'd throw in.

Naima Menefaer

Class: Witch (Hex Channeler, Cartomancer)
Naima is tall, and fairly slender. Her hair is long and reddish-black and she wears it loose over her face, making it more difficult to tell that her amber eyes are joined by a third, unnervingly pale blue, set in the center of her forehead.

A rolling stone gathers no moss, and a wandering witch avoids a nasty fate. So the people who raised Naima said, and it's a creed that's done her no damage over the years.
In fact, it has been of use, allowing a young woman to begin study into historical texts she would never have had access to as a stone-bound townie or city girl. It also occasionally gets her into tight spots - nothing her magic or claws can't get her out of, right? - but, hey, the road is long, the days full of lessons and nobody who stays in one place ever find anything worth anything, right?
It's been less books and more scrolls and weird tablets, but Naima's been lucky so far....

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

HalfTime

Consider me interested!

Aisha Etkins

Class: Abyssal Bloodrager (Primalist)
Race: Demon-spawn Tiefling
Alignment: CN

Physical description: Aisha is a tall and commanding tiefling woman, with light purple skin and hair that adds to her unnatural appearance as much as her horns and yellow eyes. While mostly humanoid, her elegant black dress conceals a thick prehensile tail, and her coy smile hides a mouth of razor sharp teeth. Her body is shapely and soft at first and second glance, with wide hips, generous breasts, and gorgeous lips; however, underneath her soft and smooth skin lies raw physical strength that shouldn't be possible on someone with such a womanly frame.

Her clothes, despite obviously being expensive and high-quality, have signs of wildness about them. The edge of her dress seems torn as though treated roughly, and the top has been modified to show more cleavage. Combined with the occasional fray in her dress and her habit of going barefoot, she tends to give off the impression that she's either recently been in a fight or wandered through the woods. She carries no weapons, making her seem like an easy target for thieves; any who think she's unarmed and attack her quickly learn just how sharp her teeth are.

Personality: To those who've never met her, Aisha sometimes seems to give off an aura of sophistication thanks to her elegant clothes. That illusion is quickly dispelled after knowing her any length of time; Aisha is, generally speaking, a boisterous party animal with an immense craving for new things to occupy her. Her sheltered childhood mixed with her chaotic heritage has produced a woman with an appetite for all the wrong things, with drinking and gambling being among her favorite pastimes. Aisha sees life as a game to be enjoyed to the fullest, and is eager to try anything and everything in her desire to get the most out of it she can. She is quick to befriend people, and almost as quick to fight them or challenge them to a drinking contest when angered. Despite her constant search for stimulating activities and hedonistic pleasure, Aisha's true passion is exploring the world that was barred to her as a child, a dream recently made more feasible by her running away from home.

Backstory: Aisha was born as the fifth child to a minor noble house in Cheliax, and her tiefling heritage was obvious right from the get-go. Her parents were shocked and appalled; not only was their child a tiefling, a shameful thought on its own, but her heritage was obviously demonic in nature, a fact that would mean social suicide if found out in the diabolic nation. Her mother, unwilling to smother or abandon the little demon-spawn, chose instead to keep her hidden from the world at large. She and her reluctant husband raised the child in secret, locked in a tower of their mansion both to keep her safe from harm and to avoid the social stigma of having a tiefling child. The first sixteen years of her life were spent in this series of tiny rooms, her only human contact being her parents and siblings who would occasionally visit.

During this period she was mostly silent and demure; having no experience of the world outside her tower, she had no reason to expect any more out of life. It was her older brother Thomas that piqued her interest in the outside world. Himself a rabblerouser, Thomas would tell exaggerated stories of his exploits around town to a wide-eyed Aisha, taking delight in seeing her reactions. She grew more and more curious, and began to pester him to take her out with him. Although reluctant at first, he eventually gave in and, under cover of night, sprung her from her tower for a night of fun.

Thus, Aisha's first real experience with the outside world was sneaking with her brother to an underground bar and gambling den at the age of sixteen. Overcome with wild feelings and experiences she could never have dreamed of before, she took to the place like a fish to water. Her first taste of alcohol came in the form of huge flagons of ale that she downed without hesitation, and her first night on the town ended with her hustling five men in a card game, getting in a fistfight, and being chased out of the bar with her bewildered brother in tow.

Thus the next stage of Aisha's life began; for the next five years she would sneak out at night with the help of one or more of her siblings and seek out a new den of sin to experience. As her appetites grew, so did her dissatisfaction with her life cooped up in her tower. One year ago, she took the final plunge and ran away from home for good, intending to start a new life for herself anywhere other than Cheliax. She stowed away on a ship bound for the Shackles, and never looked back.

She has spent the last few months effectively homeless in Port Peril, doing odd jobs to pay her gambling debts, drinking herself to sleep at the local taverns, and waiting for the opportunity to leave for newer pastures once again.

schnookums

QuoteI tend to prefer human or near-human I suppose, I am not a fan of Tengu or similar for example.  But as long as they are official Paizo I won't reject anything out of hand.

That's fair. So kitsune would probably be an okay, but ratfolk not so much (i.e. don't go full furry). Mind you, I always play kitsune so I'm hoping to branch out this time around.

Petrus02

Not sure if this suffices, but its i start i guess. i just wrote what i had in mind so far^^ usually i develop characters while building them

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Meet Asharanalaranarfu of the seventh house- or Ash as she calls herself up on the surface- which is a small house of drow situated somewhere beneath the Mwangi Expanse. After centuries of isolation, Ash was the first scout send onto the surface, having free reign to decide what to do and where to go, her only duty to write reports and send them back to her house whenever possible. After wandering around in the expanse for a while, and finding only monsters and untamed wilderness, Ash decided to visit the coastal villages. There she heard of a place called the shackles, a place where apparently chaos rules and plundering your neighbor is an acceptable means of survival. Ash quickly decided that this place might be a suitable place for the dealings of her house, and boarded a ship in order to investigate the being called "pirates". Upon arrival, she went to a "pirate" tavern, where she met a certain, daring and flirtatious corsair and was intrigued by his panache... until she was beaten senseless and stuffed into a sack that is.

Classes: Unchained rogue/ Sorcerer in order to eventually go arcane trickster
Alignment: Chaotic Evil, but smart. Shes no more likely to kill a random passerby than anyone Else... unless said passerby is displaying much wealth and she thinks she might be getting away with it. Her previous experience with  said corsair also taught her that being in a party she can trust would be usefull, so she is looking to build said party, preferably under her command, but she is not adverse to letting someone else decide, as long as it does not interfere with her mission.
trait: Buccaneers Blood

Personality:Ash is a compulsive liar, preferring to tell a lie even over telling a harmless truth. With good acquaintances, she isn't even bothering to mask the fact that she is telling a lie leaving them to guess the truth. Ash is heavily opportunistic, focussing only on her own survival, for she has a role to fulfill, and has to live in order to do so. She is very curious, possibly THE trait she was chosen as a scout for, but something that already caused her trouble, and most likely will do so in the future.

Other personality traits and trivia:
She does not know it yet, but she's in love with strong booze, although she does not stomach that much.
(to be expanded when i get good ideas)
She uses minor magic to change her eyecolor from her natural red to blue in order to hide the fact that she is a drow and in hope to masquerade as a member of some Mwangi- or Desert Elf tribe member

Goals: See more of the world, interesting(dangerous) places in particular.
Collect gold, start her own collection of "art"

Random idea: maybe i take the elemental (air) bloodline, and let her have the quirk to feel only at ease while casting magic while naked

avarus

I hope this is enough for a starter, very interested, so here's my submission:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Sofia Vanderwalle
Class: Rogue
Race: Human
Alignment: CN
Trait: Eye for Plunder
Physical: Well, endowed, the woman usually finds the eyes of the crowd upon her when she enters the room. Usually donning a simple dress of white, grey and blue it is her flaming red hair and eyes of icy blue that attracts attention of the average unsuspecting onlooker. Her stature is not particularly tall, but the slits in her dress revealing a copious amount of thigh and chest usually amends this. Though she considers her days on the streets long over she keeps her leather armour hidden in her room, instead carrying her assortment of knives hidden all over her body underneath the dress.

Personality: A true rogue of the word, Sofia feels few connections to any person, going at it alone for the larger part of her life. Any person who considers him or herself her friend should know that this feeling is usually not reciprocated, though Sofia does appreciate the safety in numbers that a party provides, working the bare minimum to maintain that at the very least. If forced to choose between herself and friends however, the option is usually not the latter.
She likes the rich lifestyle and has made it her own at the many taverns in Port Peril, always living in the luxury rooms. Preferably she prefers to avoid open conflict, striking unseen or through an intermediary if possible, or trading herself if no other option is left. Rushing into combat is thus far from her style, instead employing a method of hiding either in the shadows or plain sight until the moment presents itself to attack with a targeted strike.
Despite a mostly criminal lifestyle she likes her freedom and will do almost anything to maintain it. A reason why she managed to stay out of incarceration in Port peril for so long. This despite the many amount of criminal offences she commits on an average day, ranging from pickpocketing, to theft, moving stolen or plundered products (a common profession in Port Peril) and so forth. She avoids wetwork like the plague though as it attracts too much attention.

Backstory: Sofia was a child of the streets, born in port peril to parents unknown as her early life consisted of moving back and forth between the streets and the orphanages. Here she learned her initial trade, starting with robbery, shoplifting and pickpocketing. Later on she moved on to grander enterprises, moving plundered loot coming in from the ship out of town without the proper transactions imposed by the usual crime lords.
By the time Sofia turned eighteen she tried her hand at piracy. In short she liked it, especially revelling in torturing those hapless passengers of the ships that were captured and the amount of shinies accumulating in her possession. Her campaign of piracy however ended when the pirate ship got into a battle it could not win. Rather than facing capture Sofia jumped overboard into the blue swell. Fortunately she was fished out of the waters by scavengers a day later, whom she convinced to bring her to Port Peril again in exchange for the coins she had on her body, promising there would be more awaiting the crew if they brought her home. Of course, there was none, so the first month of ‘earnings’ went to paying this debt.
Now back again in Port peril for a few years Sofia feels that slight itch again to take to the seas. Even though she makes a pretty dime at the moment every single one goes to maintaining her lifestyle, which seems a bit dull after the first bout of piracy. And thus she waits in the Formidably Maid, plying her time until a new crew she can join comes along.

PixelatedPixie

The characters are all looking fun so far!  Thank you for your interest everyone!  As we have a good turn out but I want to give people time if interested, I will probably close recruitment on Saturday sometime.

Thorne
Was she a Changeling as in the other game?

Thorne

Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

PixelatedPixie

No, Changeling is fine.  I was just making a list of characters who have been posted in the thread and wasn't sure her race. 

ChaoticSky

TFcommando

How do you feel about firearms use?  I’ve got an idea for a spellslinger/magus eldritch archer with a rifle if that’s OK.  Or a sorceress or swashbuckler if not.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

TFcommando

Also had an idea for an unchained summoner, a Cheliaxan noble (with devil or genie type summon) who was knocked out and shipped down to the Shackles by a family member as part of the scheming you see there (Murder is bad, but selling your sister to a brothel far to the south is OK).  She escaped said fate only to be shanghaied at the Maid. 
Asmodia Imperia is second daughter of an important house in the infernal hierarchy of Cheliax, one with some (distant) ties to House Thrune itself.  She possesses a natural charm and an unnatural talent with the arcane arts, casting without need of a spell book, calling up a devil to serve her… regarded as a sign of the favor of Asmodeus.  While that would make a fine match for a House Thrune marriage, Asmodia was more interested in the practice of magic for her nation, preparing to be a war wizard… it was her duty as a noble to advance Cheliax, after all.  While very able to be graceful and win friends, she didn’t play the game as much as some, lost in her studies of lore and history.

Her older sister Disare was threatened by her sister’s apparent infernal favor and how it might make her the primary heir to their house.  But she couldn’t kill her… if Asmodia was a favored of Asmodeus, her soul would tell him what happened and that would be the end for her.  But if she was just gone…   Disare used an alchemical sleeping agent put her sister into an suspended state and sent her far, far away, all the way to the Shackles. 

Asmodia woke up in a brothel, but easily overcame the thugs who tried to subdue her with a binding collar.  She had underestimated her sister’s ambition, and her sister had underestimated her power.  She walked across the street to a tavern, looking for passage back to Cheliax,  Then there was a blow to the back of her head….

She plans to return to her home, but doing it now would be to admit her humiliating defeat.  There are ancient powers buried in the Shackles and securing some ancient spell or artifact would allow her to return and cast her sister down successfully. 

Asmodia reflects many stereotypes of Cheliax nobility, powerful and privileged, confident, even haughty, but dutiful and loyal to her family and nation.  Order is important… the carnage of the civil war shows that.  Not evil or cruel… those things for their own sake accomplish nothing.  She’s never had reason to question the values of the society she was raised in.  Now, she’ll have no choice.  She’s lost her position, her retainers and wealth, her name means nothing here… but she knows she’ll have to adapt, while still retaining her dignity.

Asmodia is a buxom human female some 5’7” tall with pale skin and shoulder-length dark hair, dressed as elegantly or brazenly as possible at all times, carrying herself with confidence. 

Past that, she'd have the Ancient Explorer theme. Just concerned about being Lawful Evil and fitting in.  I mean, piracy is against the law (and there are a lot of non-lawful and non-evil concepts proposed). 

The body swapping, body modification and pregnancy aspects interest me a whole lot too.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Waldham

Name: Sheiki Samaru
Human Chelaxian, Ranger Warden Skirmisher

Character Basics

• Race : Human
  • Orientation:  Pansexual
  • Favored sexual position: Reclining Lotus

Character Appearance
Height: 6-1/2 feet
Weight: 200 pounds
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Blue
Build: Tall and athletic
Distinguishing marks: piercings

Background

When she was a child, he and his diplomat parents were sent to Eleder in Sargava to represent House Thrune’s interests. Shortly thereafter, she ran away from home in a bid for attention. The effort failed spectacularly, though, when his neglectful parents seized the opportunity to abandon him for good. Thus, she grew up on the streets of Eleder. She spent much of her childhood hanging around the semipermanent floating “city” crowding the harbor, during which time she honed her linguistic, nautical, and swordfighting skills. She got involved in smuggling and would have excelled at the profession had he not publicly denounced a partner who betrayed her and, in the process, revealed his own illegal activities. Faced with the prospect of imprisonment, she fled Sargava for the Shackles. The young girl always dreamed of heading out tosea, and at the first opportunity she stowed away aboard a brigantine out of Quent named the Harlot’s Eel. When the hungry, thirsty, bedraggled girl was discovered a few days later, the captain prepared to throw her overboard, but the ship’s crew interceded and adopted her as their mascot. After a few successful and highly lucrative raids, the crew of the Harlot’s Eel, captain included, declared Sheiki a “jinx eater” capable of absorbing the ship’s bad luck and warding off bad omens. The crew’s superstitionsproved ill-founded less than year later, however, when another pirate ship sank the Harlot’s Eel. Lucky indeed, Sheiki survived the battle and managed to talk her way into a position on the new ship, the Cutlass Star.
Since then, Sheiki has served as a jinx eater on half a dozen different ships, usually until bad luck—or rival pirates— finally caught up with their crews. So far, the girl’s own luck remains remarkably true, and she has survived being marooned or thrown overboard no less than three times after vengeful captains decided her appetite for bad luck was “too dainty” in the wake of some misfortune.

Over the next several years, she served on no fewer than a dozen ships, moving from one crew to the next on a whim. She has spent years at sea becoming a skilled sailor  and diplomat, and yearns to join a crew who respect her real talents rather than imagined supernatural abilities. Her dream of becoming a Free Captain and commanding her own ship always seems just out of reach no matter her schemes or savings

Personality

Attributes
STR: 13 (3)
DEX: 14 (5)
CON: 12 (2)
INT: 13 (5)
WIS: 14 (5)
CHA: 13 (5)

Traits :
Barroom Talespinner : You gain a +1 trait bonus on Diplomacy checks and one category of Perform checks, and one of these skills is a class skill for you. In addition, once per week you can make a DC 15 Knowledge (local) or Intelligence check to see if you know a popular legendary pirate tale, the telling of which grants you a +1 trait bonus on checks made to inf luence NPCs on the Wormwood.

Skills :
Background Skills : Linguistics and Profession (sailor)

Snake

I'm interested but not sure what type of character woul dbe good

PixelatedPixie

I am going to close things as I dislike rejecting people and we are already beyond how many I can accept.   :-(  Thank you for your interest and effort everyone though!  I am sorry I can't take everyone.  I will keep people in mind if desired in the event of attrition.

The list of players/characters is:
Myranda Miller (Blinkin) Human Swashbuckler/Bard
Naima Menefaer (Thorne) Changeling Witch
Aisha Etkins (HalfTime) Tiefling Bloodrager
Asmodia Imperia (TFCommando) Human Summoner
Sofia Vanderwalle (avarus) Human Rogue

Please post in the OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=289023.0
and Character: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=289022.0
threads.