What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geeklet

So I finally finished Mass Effect 3 and as far as the ending is concerned.... I don't get what all the fuss is about. I mean I do, but its not so much a problem with the ending, is that its a problem with gamers these days, expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. Mass Effect 3 is not a fairy tale. It doesn't end with a "Happily Ever After." Honestly, that type gets dull and cliche sometimes, and I am glad that Bioware tried to do something different, and make people think.

Inkidu

Quote from: Geeklet on March 17, 2012, 10:11:31 PM
So I finally finished Mass Effect 3 and as far as the ending is concerned.... I don't get what all the fuss is about. I mean I do, but its not so much a problem with the ending, is that its a problem with gamers these days, expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. Mass Effect 3 is not a fairy tale. It doesn't end with a "Happily Ever After." Honestly, that type gets dull and cliche sometimes, and I am glad that Bioware tried to do something different, and make people think.
See I would argue the opposite. There aren't enough happy endings. Everything's angst is art and zero-closure these days. I can't remember seeing a horror film from the last three years where someone survived. It's becoming cliche in its own right. I mean, I'm all for earning my happy ending, but Casey Hudson has apparently made that impossible without playing multiplayer.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Geeklet

Oh yes, because
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
A clip thats only a few seconds long showing a twitching body
is so worth the rage.

Brandon

Interesting bit of news regarding the mass effect 3 ending. I'm still boycotting the game so I cant speak about it but I'm happy to see people exercising their consumer rights

http://www.gamepur.com/news/7426-fans-filing-ftc-complaints-against-ea-after-mass-effect-3-ending.html
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

I'm kind of hoping I like the ending... Just to mess with brains :3

On another story, PC is fixing itself, and Xbox is still at the doctors, so I figure meh, sure, ill watch some TV. I've never turned the set top box on recent memory. What's on? A documentary about gaming.

Its about a bunch of middle aged gamers having a bitch fit over whose the best, and willing to sink to any level to get a world record. Why is this interesting? I mean, it sounds like every Ventrilo session, right? Well, its not counter strike.

Its Donky Kong.

Maybe its just me, but Napolean Dynamite era, 30-something year old gamers bitching about hacks just seems surreal.

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on March 18, 2012, 01:31:01 AM
Interesting bit of news regarding the mass effect 3 ending. I'm still boycotting the game so I cant speak about it but I'm happy to see people exercising their consumer rights

http://www.gamepur.com/news/7426-fans-filing-ftc-complaints-against-ea-after-mass-effect-3-ending.html
I'm not holding my breath for this one. False advertising complaints rarely, rarely work against works of fiction or creative license. So much of it is opinion, and creator's prerogative that judges typically don't like to touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole. You have to prove that the false advertising was a done with malicious intent to deceive.

I thought it was absurd at the internet petition stage, and I think it's getting just a little out of hand at the legal action stage. As much as I don't like BioWare right now I bet there's going to be a counter suit if this gets out of hand, and who do you think is going to win? 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on March 17, 2012, 10:11:31 PM

Uh, yeah. It's not the lack of a "happy ending". It's the internal contradictions, exceptionally poor logic, nonsensical choices - and the fact we got three choices after Casey Hudson explicitly stated it wouldn't be an "A, B or C choice". Those are some of the reasons.

On an unrelated note: For those of you who haven't picked up the Witcher 2, but mean to, you'll soon be getting a great excuse to do so. CD Projekt are releasing the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition for 360 and PC - free for people who already own the game. It's ... well, it basically adds a ton of new features and content. For free. Did I mention it's free? And it improves an already amazing game? I believe I did.

Edit: I'm too soft for my own good. I reinstalled DA:O, and I meant to play a ruthless Gray Warden, the sort of guy Morrigan would like. But Leliana, with her unbelievably charming accent and, well, the fact she's batshit insane ... I can't resist.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 18, 2012, 08:24:13 AM
Uh, yeah. It's not the lack of a "happy ending". It's the internal contradictions, exceptionally poor logic, nonsensical choices - and the fact we got three choices after Casey Hudson explicitly stated it wouldn't be an "A, B or C choice". Those are some of the reasons.

On an unrelated note: For those of you who haven't picked up the Witcher 2, but mean to, you'll soon be getting a great excuse to do so. CD Projekt are releasing the Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition for 360 and PC - free for people who already own the game. It's ... well, it basically adds a ton of new features and content. For free. Did I mention it's free? And it improves an already amazing game? I believe I did.

Edit: I'm too soft for my own good. I reinstalled DA:O, and I meant to play a ruthless Gray Warden, the sort of guy Morrigan would like. But Leliana, with her unbelievably charming accent and, well, the fact she's batshit insane ... I can't resist.
You don't have to be evil to shag Morrigan. If you get the gifts and the right dialogue options when initially talking to her you can get her in the sack right after Lothering. You don't even have to take her along to get her romanced.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 18, 2012, 04:13:22 PM
You don't have to be evil to shag Morrigan. If you get the gifts and the right dialogue options when initially talking to her you can get her in the sack right after Lothering. You don't even have to take her along to get her romanced.

Yeah, but I can't have both the Ice Queen and the redhead with the unbelievably sexy accent.

Edit: I've been abusing the hell out of EA's 50% sale on Origin. I bought, let's see ... well, I actually only bought Syndicate. Up until now. Against my better judgment, I got Dead Space & Dead Space 2.

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Brandon

Quote from: Hemingway on March 18, 2012, 04:31:29 PM
Yeah, but I can't have both the Ice Queen and the redhead with the unbelievably sexy accent.

Edit: I've been abusing the hell out of EA's 50% sale on Origin. I bought, let's see ... well, I actually only bought Syndicate. Up until now. Against my better judgment, I got Dead Space & Dead Space 2.

Actually when I was doing my two handed fighter I was regularily spending the nights with Morrigan. Then something happened between me and Lileanna which made her want to jump in my bed too. Boy the party banter was interesting after that because I ran with my 2 handed fighter, Morrigan, Lileanna, and Wyne. I swore there was going to be a fight between the two any second
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Dragon Age: Origins, one of those old style Bioware games where the gameplay only got a drop of the attention that went towards the dialogue scenes.

And Brandon, was that one of the scenarios that were clearly prepared for, with new scenes coming up because of it, or was it just something that sort of happened?

Hemingway

Dragon Age is weird for me. I more or less have to play a warrior. In Origins, I always go with a tank. In DA2, I always use two-handers. Well, not that I need a tank in DA2. I've got my warrior, Merrill, Anders and Varric. My warrior tanks just fine. On Hard!

In Origins, though, I had to lower the difficulty. In Lothering! I kept getting swamped by bandits. It's back to Hard now, but ... damn, that game is ... considerably more difficult than DA2.

Now I'm playing Syndicate while waiting for Dead Space to download. Syndicate ... You could have been so good, but instead you're more like Duke Nukem Forever's slightly better looking older brother. The setting is excellent. The story is decent ( which means it's one of the best in the genre ). The gameplay, though, is .. sad.

Syndicate just got ... worse. I just hit a boss that's ... three guys at once. You're normally just up against one boss, and they're hard enough, what with how fragile you are. It's not enough that it's three guys, though - what, you thought this would be easy? No, no. One of them is covering the entire battlefield with a minigun, so you absolutely have to stay in cover. Easy, right? Yeah, except he hacks the servers you use for cover which causes them to drop, meaning you have to keep them up. Easy enough. Well, except the other two guys are on your ass, too. And they're protected by armor that needs to be hacked for you to even be able to hurt them. But that's doable. Yeah. Now, if I could only figure out how to actually kill them. You see, when you kill them ... they come back to life.

... WHAT!?

Edit 2: Syndicate ... not the worst ending ever ( or, you know, of the last week ), but ... it's close. Oh, boy, it's close. I wonder what goes through the heads of the developers when they insert total clichés. Like scenes where you're getting beaten up by a boss you've already thoroughly defeated. You know, making you feel less powerful than you actually are. Or scenes where you're crawling through a hallway, lights flashing and all. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the only game I know of to actually pull that off, and even there it wasn't a very good scene.

Ugh. I just ... I wish these people would learn to make good stories, learn how to make players feel without forcing them.

Edit 3: Hmm. I think this may have been why my brother said not to get Dead Space.

It, uh, doesn't work.

Edit 4: ( This is getting absurd. ) Irony of ironies! I couldn't adjust settings in Dead Space without the screen going black. Mouse controls were messed up - I was seeing the windows cursor and the in-game cursor, and it was causing all kinds of confusion and problems. The solution? I disabled Origin in-game ( which I don't need anyway ). ... Disabling Origin fixed a problem with a game I bought through Origin. EA ... Stop. Sincerely, the world.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on March 18, 2012, 05:33:39 PM
Dragon Age: Origins, one of those old style Bioware games where the gameplay only got a drop of the attention that went towards the dialogue scenes.

And Brandon, was that one of the scenarios that were clearly prepared for, with new scenes coming up because of it, or was it just something that sort of happened?

I think they were prepared for both the girls to like the player character. I ran into something similar with my mage first dating alistar and then getting close to Lileanna. However I dont think they were prepared for me to be sleeping with both of them seperately, multiple times, every night. The dialogue was clearly made to be focused around jealousy. Morrigan didnt share (her exact words) and Lelianna was in denial after I told her Morrigan and I were "just friends" (which I did because I didnt want to hurt her not because I wanted to sleep with both of them). However it never recognized that my Cousland was sleeping with both women at the same time

Everything would have been a lot easier if we could have just had a threesome, but then Morrigan isnt into girls. I can understand that. Although why my female mage couldnt have one with Alistar and Lelianna I dont know

Inkidu

Maybe you should try Zevran and Liliana? I don't know. I always found the romances to be really secondary in that game. I actually thought they were done better in DA2 (you could have a friendship or rivalry romance).

Honestly, the most fun I ever had was actually playing a human noble and getting myself on the throne through either Anora or Alistair.

I actually... could never never beat Dragon Age Origins as anything but a human. What can I say?

Elves are backup characters, usually with some inhuman hung-up, dwarves are comic relief with battle axes. It's textbook Tolkien, and in the case of the dwarves, a trope they embraced in their own game.

Brandon

The romances are secondary, I dont disput that but if they werent there I think it would be really odd. Ive actually never started a relationship with Zeveran at all. He just hasnt been attractive to any of my characters. Although my noble dwarf warrior and him had a good friendship going.

For me I found my Dalish rogue to be the most interesting and rewarding playthrough. It had the best starting story (second only to the mage). Although I was disappointed that I couldnt start a mage as Dalish. The least fun one for me was my casteless dwarf rogue.

To this day there were a lot of choices I wish I could have made in that game. For example when Jowan has to face punishment for his crimes my mage wanted to use the right of conscription or whatever its called to pull him into the Grey wardens. All just to save him.

Wolfy

To those that didn't like the ending to Mass Effect 3....

:D Is that better?

Also, I haven't even gotten started in it, so I don't know.

Sabby

I'm only a few missions in, but I've logged about 25 hours, and I have no idea what the ending thing is all about, just that KYM has a listing for ME3 Ending Reactions, and a lot of them involve... colour sliders. I assume this means there's three extremely similar endings that you just pick a minor for, but I'm really starting to suspect I will love it.

No, really, the signs are clear. Everyone on the internet is angry at this thing, and usually I'm angry enough for the whole internet. I'm afraid of what will happen if I do hate it.

Inkidu

I imagine something to the effect of dividing by zero. Impossibility Singularity Supreme (TM).

Sabby

Ffffffffffff.... some of these new enemies are pure Gieger Brand Nightmare Fuel.

That screech alone is pretty damn bone chilling, and the way they prowl at the end of the video... they even have an instant-kill move o.O That's a first as far as I know. It's a pretty brutal one, as well...

Now I'm hoping they pull the same shit with the Krogans... or the Volus >:3 I wanna see The Great Biotic Wind.

Sabby

Welp, apparently getting the good ending without multiplayer is easy as editing a few lines of code. Sometimes, having a kickass computer just beats a controller enough to warrant the bullshit I need to put up with.

Edit: Scratch that, the modifications have to be done before the Krogan missions, which I've done x.x. Doh well, I'm sure there's other values to edit.

Further Edit: Since I can't do that, it look's like I'll have to double each value for Military Assets. Artifact Assets and Asset Multipliers don't help, only Military do, and none of them are retroactive, so you can't change values you already have. This is a lot longer then the Krogan option, but nothing I can do about that.

Another edit: Oh, someone already did it for me :) All I have to do is swap out the .ini files.  Too bad it comes with a bunch of cheats I don't want... I won't use them. The whole war assets thing isn't even like cheating, it's rebalancing the game to not need multiplayer Dx but this is guna map shit like God Mode and cash spawns to my F1-F12, and I don't want those :/

Edit upon an edit: Don't even need that, just need to find a single Asset I'm about to turn in and ramp it up.

Hopefully final edit: Welp, edited the War Assests you get from Geth Fleet... really, finding a value to change is tough, this was the only one that seemed like it was something I could do. For all I know, I applied the boost to a random asset on a planet somewhere I could easily miss.

Hemingway

Enemies in ME3. Ah, yeah. I loved the guys with shields. I love how they're these tough enemies that can really mess you up if you're not equipped for dealing with them. However, get an armor piercing mod and / or armor piercing rounds ( my favorite ammo power, with shredder gone ), and your shots ignore their shields entirely, making them even less threatening than regular shock troops.

Such a good game. With an ending so bad that I can never play the game again. At least not for a few years. Assuming they do nothing about it ( post-ending DLC, a sequel that explains things, some sort of official statement, admitting they fucked up royally ).

Anyway. I've been playing some Dead Space, so I'd rather talk about that. We're no longer talking about ME3. I'm taking over.

Dead Space, yeah. A cool game. It reminds me of FEAR ( the first one ), in that they've created a really great atmosphere. Sounds were really important in FEAR. It was really creatively done, with lots of very discordant sounds instead of the usual jump scare clichés. Dead Space ... does something I feel is quite similar, in that a lot of the sounds you hear in the game are meant to confuse you. You've got things like vents sounding like someone breathing.

If I have any complaints about the scare factor in the game at all, it's that you meet too many enemies. I mean, yeah, I was at the edge of my seat when I entered a room and suddenly there were tons of necromorphs outside, and I had my gun aimed at the door ... only to realize they were coming through the vents. I mean, come on! But still, a lot of the time you're so on your toes that when they jump out you sort of expect it, and you dispatch them easily.

On that note, I really hope they explain why shooting the limbs is more effective than other organs. I assume it has something to do with those tentacle things, and ... you know, you don't have to explain it to me here, but .. yeah, that's something they need to explain. Just saying.

Edit: Heading into the bloody morgue on a ship infested with creatures that apparently take over dead bodies ( on top of that referred to as "necromorphs" - HELLO! ). What could possibly go wrong?

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on March 19, 2012, 11:03:46 AM
Edit: Heading into the bloody morgue on a ship infested with creatures that apparently take over dead bodies ( on top of that referred to as "necromorphs" - HELLO! ). What could possibly go wrong?

Well, a monster could leap out of a floor panel and have it's arms and head lopped off just as quickly as it appeared. Or if the game wants to get really creative, it'll shut the doors and sound an alarm first!

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on March 19, 2012, 03:35:31 PM
Well, a monster could leap out of a floor panel and have it's arms and head lopped off just as quickly as it appeared. Or if the game wants to get really creative, it'll shut the doors and sound an alarm first!

You know, these scary games really need to work on their tactics. In most cases, I manage to keep cool. You know, stay focused, stay alive. But sometimes they manage to startle me. Which usually results in me promptly shooting them to pieces. It's just like in FEAR 2, that's where I remember it from, where some enemy jumped out of a doorway, and I just twitched and pulled the trigger and blew him away. I mean, come on! If he'd waited, he could've snuck up on me! Jumping out and going boo is just a really fast way of getting your limbs cut off by a weird telekinetic buzzsaw device.

Inkidu

Actually, I thought the large numbers of monsters Dead Space threw at you a refreshing change of pace. I didn't think it made it more actiony. It was about the fact that these things are zombies and mutants all rolled into one. Yeah, they had numbers and you had shit. Though, I'll admit if you play on harder difficulties it gets really annoying, especially in the sequel. However, Dead Space offers something I've never thought about in a horror game before. High-octane nightmare action. The whole game plays like one big nightmare. Who said horror had to be all creepy and lonesome and isolated. :D

In fact, the moments of creepy lonesomeness are your respite. Enjoy it while it lasts.