Seeking to make a Harem... and a GM to chair it (D&D 5, Seeking GM)

Started by Quasar, June 12, 2017, 06:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Muse on September 19, 2017, 05:53:15 AM
  I must say I quite apreciate your write up on the psychology of a harem game.  That's exactly the way I like such things. 

Now, to come up wtih something to say that actualy contributes to the game brainstorming... 

*wanders of pondering.*
Much welcome muse :-)
Ons & Offs (last updated: 15.08.21)
Absences & Apologies (back after a near year-long absence!)
Current Status: Not Accepting New Games; Muse: Erratic

Visit Eridor, where the Black Gate has been opened! (Long-term D&D 5e project)
Visit Carla at The Breeding House of Vinicus

Quasar

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on September 19, 2017, 04:15:34 AM
PSYCHOLOGY OF A HAREM (a.k.a. my requirements to GM such a game)

• Not Gratuitous Wish Fulfilment: Okay, so this one is mostly pointed at Quasar.  If the idea of a harem is simply to get your rocks off with as many of the females around your PC as possible, I may have to nip my candidacy for GM-ship in the bud right now, since I'm of a preference for something more complex and stimulating.  Be aware that as the only male, you're going to hold the very heavy burden of making your PC flexible, dynamic, and interesting.  Perving it through, isn't going to do it for me.  Now, given what I've read from this post from you, I don't think it will be a problem, but I do think it best to bring it up all the same.  No offence intended.
  • Vibrant, Interesting Cast: I'm of the opinion that harems live and die by the how interesting the harem members are.  A girl who can't pick up the ball and play quickly fades into the background until you start to wonder what the heck she's doing there in the first place.  In short, the player needs to bring their PC to life, even if the character is a little on the submissive side.  More so than the central male, they're the real stars of a harem, because a man without a harem is a single male, a dime a dozen.
  • No Poachers Please: (before I start, this is not aimed at anyone in particular - it's just past observation that I think may be relevant here) Many times, a male offers to play a female character when what they're intent is to a female trojan horse - they've seen a lot of other female characters around and they wish to play out their lesbian fantasies to fruition, despite being in game where it is implicit there should be F/M sexuality primarily, with F/F as a side bonus.  I suppose the same is true for a female player who's only interest is the host of other lovely female PCs, and only thinly endures the male company.  I've lost at least one game to this sort of thing in the past, so it is a pet, and personal, peeve of mine: I would prefer not to have to call anyone out on it, as its one of the things my temper runs shorter on, so I thought to make this clear from the beginning.
  • Inter-Party Psychology: Privately, in literature, I love multiple female to single male relationships because I enjoy seeing the psychology and dynamics played out - what makes this one person desirable enough to pull in several women at the same time, when the average man can only hook up one at a time.  I use the word 'psychology' because I don't want it to be something so simple as 'oh, he's good looking', 'damn, he's good in bed', or some other lazy ass reasons.  Certainly, they may start with few, if any, reasons, but it will be up to players to build up those connections as things go along - their angle, motivations, conflicts, agreements, friendships, rivalries, etc...  If these things aren't there, my interest drops about as quickly as an erection splashed with ice-cold water, and shrinks just as completely.
  • One Winner?: The most realistic course of things is that eventually, one girl takes the lead and wins the day by becoming the only true romantic interest.  Whilst classically time honored and probably the best from a literary perspective; I am of the opinion that a game between players should have no losers.  Ideally, it's one big, messy group romance.  Realistically, its a matter of compromise and respect.  Altogether, they start the game together and end together.
  • The World Exists to Serve the Relationships at Play: Basically, I'm not going to supply a great number of minor NPCs for independent relationships or sexing, unless it serves to deepen the camaraderie shared between the group - basically, this is a group and their impact on the quest, not a quest and it's impact on the group.
Those sound pretty reasonable to me, and were somewhat close to my own thoughts on the matter.

I will see what I can come up with for my PC.
Quasar's Bangs (Requests; Updated 2017.08.25)
Quasar's A/As (Updated 2017.08.12)

Sethala

PSYCHOLOGY OF A HAREM (a.k.a. my requirements to GM such a game)

• Not Gratuitous Wish Fulfilment: Okay, so this one is mostly pointed at Quasar.  If the idea of a harem is simply to get your rocks off with as many of the females around your PC as possible, I may have to nip my candidacy for GM-ship in the bud right now, since I'm of a preference for something more complex and stimulating.  Be aware that as the only male, you're going to hold the very heavy burden of making your PC flexible, dynamic, and interesting.  Perving it through, isn't going to do it for me.  Now, given what I've read from this post from you, I don't think it will be a problem, but I do think it best to bring it up all the same.  No offence intended.
  • Vibrant, Interesting Cast: I'm of the opinion that harems live and die by the how interesting the harem members are.  A girl who can't pick up the ball and play quickly fades into the background until you start to wonder what the heck she's doing there in the first place.  In short, the player needs to bring their PC to life, even if the character is a little on the submissive side.  More so than the central male, they're the real stars of a harem, because a man without a harem is a single male, a dime a dozen.
  • No Poachers Please: (before I start, this is not aimed at anyone in particular - it's just past observation that I think may be relevant here) Many times, a male offers to play a female character when what they're intent is to a female trojan horse - they've seen a lot of other female characters around and they wish to play out their lesbian fantasies to fruition, despite being in game where it is implicit there should be F/M sexuality primarily, with F/F as a side bonus.  I suppose the same is true for a female player who's only interest is the host of other lovely female PCs, and only thinly endures the male company.  I've lost at least one game to this sort of thing in the past, so it is a pet, and personal, peeve of mine: I would prefer not to have to call anyone out on it, as its one of the things my temper runs shorter on, so I thought to make this clear from the beginning.
  • Inter-Party Psychology: Privately, in literature, I love multiple female to single male relationships because I enjoy seeing the psychology and dynamics played out - what makes this one person desirable enough to pull in several women at the same time, when the average man can only hook up one at a time.  I use the word 'psychology' because I don't want it to be something so simple as 'oh, he's good looking', 'damn, he's good in bed', or some other lazy ass reasons.  Certainly, they may start with few, if any, reasons, but it will be up to players to build up those connections as things go along - their angle, motivations, conflicts, agreements, friendships, rivalries, etc...  If these things aren't there, my interest drops about as quickly as an erection splashed with ice-cold water, and shrinks just as completely.
  • One Winner?: The most realistic course of things is that eventually, one girl takes the lead and wins the day by becoming the only true romantic interest.  Whilst classically time honored and probably the best from a literary perspective; I am of the opinion that a game between players should have no losers.  Ideally, it's one big, messy group romance.  Realistically, its a matter of compromise and respect.  Altogether, they start the game together and end together.
  • The World Exists to Serve the Relationships at Play: Basically, I'm not going to supply a great number of minor NPCs for independent relationships or sexing, unless it serves to deepen the camaraderie shared between the group - basically, this is a group and their impact on the quest, not a quest and it's impact on the group.

Edit:  Whoops, formatted the quote and then hit submit before I actually wrote anything by mistake...

Anyway, I agree with this, though now I'm trying to have some self-reflection on number 3. I definitely don't try to be that "trojan horse" player, but I have to admit I am rather interested in playing with the rest of the harem.  Not to the extent where I'd ignore or resent Quasar's character, of course.

Once I see what Quasar's thinking, I should have a decent time coming up with my own character.  Do we know what system we've settled on, yet?

Calison

Submitting my interest as well! Leaning toward either a caster of some sort, preferably of an arcane type. Haven't done a harem-style game before, but Naughty's outline for the psychology has me intrigued!

Muse

Still haven't gotten to really play Rindi the redheaded druid with her tomcat, but maybe she's too intutiive by now for me to easiy define her 'character rolls'. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Quasar on September 19, 2017, 08:57:06 AM
Those sound pretty reasonable to me, and were somewhat close to my own thoughts on the matter.

I will see what I can come up with for my PC.
Quasar, with regards to your character's history (as in ancestral history), are you prepared to leave such a thing in the GM's hands?  Or would you prefer a little discussion about it.

Quasar

Quote from: Sethala on September 19, 2017, 06:47:43 PM
Once I see what Quasar's thinking, I should have a decent time coming up with my own character.  Do we know what system we've settled on, yet?
Well, I did mention D&D 5e in the title, so I'm assuming it was going to be done with that.  I could do Pathfinder, if our GM is familiar with it, but I suspect 5e would be simpler. :-)

Quote from: Calison on September 19, 2017, 11:49:45 PM
Submitting my interest as well! Leaning toward either a caster of some sort, preferably of an arcane type. Haven't done a harem-style game before, but Naughty's outline for the psychology has me intrigued!
Hey Calison, great to see you!  Hope you're doing well. ;D

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on September 20, 2017, 05:49:10 AMQuasar, with regards to your character's history (as in ancestral history), are you prepared to leave such a thing in the GM's hands?  Or would you prefer a little discussion about it.
I suppose I am, just as long as it doesn't turn out to be anything silly or demeaning I guess XD (but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be dark or even a source of shame)

So, first up, I have
two new pictures
, in case anyone wants a bit more variety to choose from rather than the one concept I put up in the opening post.

If at all possible, I'd like to put aside the prince concept for now, since I'm already playing such a one in my group game, and instead go with a simpler, more humble background - probably something like that of a villager living a simple life at the back end of nowhere.  I don't know what kind of stats I'll have to work with but for now, I'm thinking:

• Human or Half-Elf
  • Possibly a blacksmith or woodsman, but has a close connection with the natural world, learning his magic ability from fey and eventually channeling it into performance.
  • Lives outside the village by himself since his parents died.
  • 19 - 22 age range. 5' 11" ft.
  • CG or NG alignment.  Has a strong moral compass without necessarily being preachy about it.  Helpful, but probably not very socially savvy.
  • I've been on a bit of a strong PC kick recently, so Str and Cha are likely to be his two strongest suites.
If anyone feels they need additional information, I'm all ears!

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Sethala on September 19, 2017, 06:47:43 PM
Yes, I myself am leaning towards 5e for this.

Quote from: Quasar on September 20, 2017, 03:35:14 PMSo, first up, I have
two new pictures
, in case anyone wants a bit more variety to choose from rather than the one concept I put up in the opening post.
I myself am partial to the original you put up, but even the these two work for me (with a little more preference to the red-headed one)

Quote from: Quasar on September 20, 2017, 03:35:14 PM

• Human or Half-Elf
  • Possibly a blacksmith or woodsman, but has a close connection with the natural world, learning his magic ability from fey and eventually channeling it into performance.
  • Lives outside the village by himself since his parents died.
  • 19 - 22 age range. 5' 11" ft.
  • CG or NG alignment.  Has a strong moral compass without necessarily being preachy about it.  Helpful, but probably not very socially savvy.
  • I've been on a bit of a strong PC kick recently, so Str and Cha are likely to be his two strongest suites.
If anyone feels they need additional information, I'm all ears!
Well, if I may be permitted to voice my opinion, I'm always more partial to the elves, so half-elf would be my natural preference, but it need not necessarily be considered a demand!  NG works for me, and, along with the half-elf idea, would qualify you for a special little treat if you go along with it (starts with 'm' and ends with 'blade' ;) )

At this point, I have the framework of a plot I think I would to use for such a game more or less fleshed out.  So, to go with what I mentioned before regarding a plot:
It's certainly worth a thought.  My main idea is to deal with the dragon as a sort of locked away threat, whilst I am thinking that some mortal representative, rules in its name as a tyrant.  They have largely oppressed the world and whilst they do not have a kingdom of their own, their cult is pervasive and stretches across all lands, meaning that most rulers need to walk softly.

Now, an idea that just sprang to me; the girls, in whatever capacity, (be it vengeance, as part of some secret organisation, etc...) get wind that the agents of the cult have been sweeping the lands looking for... something.  It's eventually narrowed down that they're looking for a particular individual (Quasar's PC), though for what purpose it is unclear, but a chance to thwart the cult is a blow worth dealing.  This idea counts on the women being on the defensive to keep the guy out of the hands of the cult, but eventually they may want to go on the offensive.
Building upon this idea, the dragon in question is an ancient being that has been held in bondage in another realm of existence (the Shadowfell) and wishes to return to the world, though powerful wards keep this from happening; wards set up in the world that it cannot affect.  Even so, it can contact attuned individuals through dreams, and by this way, the Cult of the Dragon was born - their main purpose to break down the wards and allow the creature to return.  The Cult are the clear bad guys of the story.  They typically kidnap people, especially those of strong magical potential for sacrifice that eventually weakens the wards.  The Cult is usually indiscriminate when it comes to selecting their victims, so when they actually start looking for one specific individual, contrary to their modus operandi for the past few decades, it is an indication that something is up and it is possible the Cult of the Dragon are moving towards their endgame.

So, to present the cast with potential starting leads, they are women, who to some extent or other have reason to want to see the cult thwarted, if not dealt with.  They could be a special agent of a kingdom or organisation; someone who has lost all their family and loved ones to the cult; a roaming adventurer who sees the potential to profit; a friend of Quasar's PC; etc, etc... heck, the character may even be an aspirant who hopes to join the cult (though such a character is only permitted on the understanding that she eventually realizes her world view is misguided at best)

At the start of the story, everyone is converging on the same location to locate the target, with the heroines being slightly ahead in that respect.  My idea is to start the companions at slightly higher level (I'm thinking 3rd or 4th) than the Quasar's PC, with a fixed array that provides an higher than average score.  Quasar's PC will also chose from an array, but with more general, all-round ability scores, and also starting at level 1; by way of compensation, he'll have a growing number of abilities that help to boost the heroines (without ability to use them on himself).

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Quasar on September 18, 2017, 07:56:45 AMSounds fair enough.  For myself, I'm fairly open to many types of settings; be Eberron's advanced magic society, the Forgotten Realm's pseudo-medieval feel, or even a survival world like Dark Sun's Athas.
Actually, now that I've had a chance to look over the Dark Sun setting just a little bit, it's actually pretty awesome, and I'm probably going to borrow heavily from that ;D

Except will be a more normal world than a barren desert one.

Edit: Just to insert *ahem* one of my self ideas; Quasar, would you be open to having one male member as part of the harem? (seeing as m/m as acceptable on your ons)  I just saw this picture, and well... *squeal!*

Quasar

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on September 20, 2017, 04:56:32 PMActually, now that I've had a chance to look over the Dark Sun setting just a little bit, it's actually pretty awesome, and I'm probably going to borrow heavily from that ;D

Except will be a more normal world than a barren desert one.
Works for me :-)

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on September 20, 2017, 04:56:32 PMEdit: Just to insert *ahem* one of my self ideas; Quasar, would you be open to having one male member as part of the harem? (seeing as m/m as acceptable on your ons)  I just saw this picture, and well... *squeal!*
I suppose I don't have any problems with it for myself ;)

That said, it may be down to the other players if it's something they're comfortable with.

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Quasar on September 21, 2017, 02:21:24 PMThat said, it may be down to the other players if it's something they're comfortable with.
Oh dear!  Lol, yes!  I had forgotten about that XP

Well, here's hoping!

Quasar

Calison

I have no issues with there being a male character in the harem.

Sethala

Personally, M/M is definitely not my thing, but I have no issues with it happening where my character wouldn't be directly involved.

Though on that note... Quasar, any idea what kind of lewdness you'd like in the game, beyond sexing up your pretty harem members?  And Miss Adventure, any plans for (possibly NC) lewdness from someone outside the harem?

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Kathyan on September 21, 2017, 06:41:04 PMStopping by to say hi... again, and yes Quasar I'm still interested. ;)
Interest always welcome Kathyan :-)

Quote from: Calison on September 21, 2017, 07:34:21 PMI have no issues with there being a male character in the harem.
Yay! :D

Quote from: Sethala on September 21, 2017, 10:56:19 PMPersonally, M/M is definitely not my thing, but I have no issues with it happening where my character wouldn't be directly involved.

Though on that note... Quasar, any idea what kind of lewdness you'd like in the game, beyond sexing up your pretty harem members?  And Miss Adventure, any plans for (possibly NC) lewdness from someone outside the harem?
For my part, I intend for most things of that nature to be between the group members themselves.  At the risk of sounding a little creepy, for this sort of genre, I would prefer, for the most part, to take a back seat and play the voyeur ::)

That said, doing the sexy with NPCs is not out of the question, but I will be taking a minimalistic approach to it - I won't be supply NPCs for sexing, except where it serves to drive a story arc forward or the extremely rare occasion that I might feel frisky for such.  In the case of the former, I'm all for dragging it out for an extended period (and having plenty of it for that matter), for example:

(divided between the sexy [i.e. the smut element], and the idea [i.e. the circumstance that I would allow it to play out])
The Sexy: A female character who is used to exercising her sexuality, and frequently picks up handsome men at taverns when they stop over for overnight stress relief.  The Idea: A development over time that she starts to wonder where this kind of hollow lifestyle will lead her, and if it wouldn't be better to have someone reliable in her life rather than a string of men who use her and are spreading rumours around her back that tarnishes her reputation as an upstanding knight.

Basically, any player who wants sexual interaction outside of the group can approach me with what they want, and we can come up ways that this helps or creates (good) tension within the group.

Sethala

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on September 22, 2017, 12:29:13 AM
For my part, I intend for most things of that nature to be between the group members themselves.  At the risk of sounding a little creepy, for this sort of genre, I would prefer, for the most part, to take a back seat and play the voyeur ::)

That said, doing the sexy with NPCs is not out of the question, but I will be taking a minimalistic approach to it - I won't be supply NPCs for sexing, except where it serves to drive a story arc forward or the extremely rare occasion that I might feel frisky for such.  In the case of the former, I'm all for dragging it out for an extended period (and having plenty of it for that matter), for example:

(divided between the sexy [i.e. the smut element], and the idea [i.e. the circumstance that I would allow it to play out])
The Sexy: A female character who is used to exercising her sexuality, and frequently picks up handsome men at taverns when they stop over for overnight stress relief.  The Idea: A development over time that she starts to wonder where this kind of hollow lifestyle will lead her, and if it wouldn't be better to have someone reliable in her life rather than a string of men who use her and are spreading rumours around her back that tarnishes her reputation as an upstanding knight.

Basically, any player who wants sexual interaction outside of the group can approach me with what they want, and we can come up ways that this helps or creates (good) tension within the group.

Hm, makes sense.  Admittedly, I was kind of wondering if you had plans for something along the lines of what would happen if something like, the party lost a fight or a few of the girls got captured away from the group.

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Sethala on September 22, 2017, 04:19:54 PMHm, makes sense.  Admittedly, I was kind of wondering if you had plans for something along the lines of what would happen if something like, the party lost a fight or a few of the girls got captured away from the group.
Well... if we're on the topic of defeat equals rape sort of thing, I'm probably only going to use that very sparingly.  If it's a case of advancing the plot and/or group dynamic, then all good and well, and I might be motivated then to include NC elements.  My general regard towards NC is to use it as a character's background element rather than something I enjoy playing out, as, for whatever reason, I prefer it to be limited to a post or two between each player involved (at which point it's more like erotic spice), but any more and my interest quickly drops as I tend to find prolonged NC play tedious.

Now, Dub-Con is something I can get a little more into (namely where the female in question feels she doesn't have much of a choice and acquiesces, but not with wholehearted enthusiasm), and find it a great deal easier to play.

(thus far, here is my current write up on the setting)

History: In an era long past, a primordial dragon named Gaularuthor of the End, led dragonkind on a rampage of fire and destruction to reclaim all lands from the usurping smaller races who had spread to every corner of the world.  After much hardship, Gaularuthor was trapped.  Before the circle of magi could complete the ritual that would destroy the destroyer once and for all, the ancient dragon struck back, breaking the wards that contained the boundless magical power that was to be harnessed against him.  Rather than be destroyed by that power, a tear in the fabric of reality was made, physically hurling the mighty dragon into endless darkness of the realm of the dead.  Without the wards to contain it, the backlash of magic tore through the world in a terrifying cataclysm, submerging most lands beneath the ocean until only the continent of Thaera remained unsubmerged.  To prevent the destroyer from ever returning, the wards were remade.  Dragons were hunted to almost extinction in the aftermath.

Present: The present state of the world is marked by a dark age of city-states struggling to push back the savageness of a grim savage land, where nature has began to max mighty in the absence of the gods.

800 years before the present date, an oracle from the Tharwall Mountains had a vision of the return of a great power in draconic form, and from her descriptions of the beast, most suspect it to be the long banished Gaularuthor.  Whilst there were those who vigilantly watched against this return, the oracle's vision also gave rise to a cult that grew massively in following, promising a new beginning to the many downtrodden in the world.  Over the 800 years hence, the Cult of the Dragon has spread to nearly every corner of the continent, seeking to undermine governments to increase its image and following, but it was not until the destruction of one of the twelve wardstones that they became seen as a dangerous element rather than an eccentric, if harmless cult.

Over time, the Cult of the Dragon has become an insidious presence in most lands, implicated in political murders, instigating peasant revolts, sinister kidnappings, and suspected of sabotaging any attempt by rulers to form kingdoms and lead the people into a new age of nations and kingdoms.

Muse

May I play a wizard (bladesinger)?

I'm still putting personaltiy together, and would coordinate it wtih the other players, but I think I might play on the second editon bladesinger's code of conduct.  She's a powerful champion of the elven people.  More than one promising elven mage or sorceress has been slain by these cultist bastards in her century + of life, and she intends to see that it never happens agian.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Naughty Miss Adventure

I see no reason why not.  Keep in mind, starting level for all PCs will be 4th level (except for Quasar's, who will be at 1st, but with some extra party buffing benefits)

Muse

Indeed.  :)  Hard to play a baldesinger at 1st level, but perfectly fine at second. 

Also, I'm actualy kind of emberassed to say it, but I'd have some trouble being part of a group scene that involved male/male. 

If the group consensus is that these scenes are desirable--or just that they wish to cater to the DMs pleasure--I might bow out in deference to someone who's a better fit. 

Muse

Also, if it's not too late, I'd like to speak otu in favor of the 'valor bard' type concept for the harem king.  :) 

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Muse on September 25, 2017, 03:55:45 PMAlso, I'm actualy kind of emberassed to say it, but I'd have some trouble being part of a group scene that involved male/male.
Participation, or even presence, isn't necessary, though your preference is noted! :-)

For my part, it's not an absolute must, but just one of those things I take a guilty pleasure in ::)

Quote from: Muse on September 25, 2017, 04:01:02 PMAlso, if it's not too late, I'd like to speak otu in favor of the 'valor bard' type concept for the harem king.  :)
I think Valor Bard was the default assumption, if Quasar's first post was anything to go by.

Naughty Miss Adventure