News:

Main Menu

Any Munchkin fans?

Started by Risa, March 15, 2009, 08:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Risa

I just recently started playing the card game Munchkin. And oh my goodness, it's the most amazing game I've ever played xD So, I have 20 bucks, and I can probably get a few more from my parents, and I'm planning on buying a set of Munchkin cards. I want to get the original, but there are, like, fifteen sets of them. Are there any sets that you would recommend?

HairyHeretic

Munchkin, the original one, has about 5 or 6 expansions.

Star Munchkin is Munchkin in space.

Munchkin Bites is horror munchkin

Munchkin Fu is hong kong movie munchkin

Then there's cowboy munchkin, spy munchkin, pirate munchkin, cthulhu munchkin, and Munchkin Blender, which allows you to combine all the games into one.

I have the basic Munchkin, Star Munchkin and Munchkin Fu. They're all quite fun .. same basic gameplay, different settings, with setting appropriate bad jokes and puns :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Risa

Ooo, I heard of the combining one! Epic Munchkin, right? =D

I really want a few of them, but...I don't have the money for all of them xD

HairyHeretic

Munchkin Blender lets you combine them.

http://www.sjgames.com/munchkin/

Thats the munchkin home site, so you can see the different stuff there. I haven't played the board game, but I imagine it'd be fun.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Risa

Ooo, looks nice.

Wow, they have so many Munchkin-related things o_o T-shirts and bookmarks...and they all have in-game abilities xD

HairyHeretic

Yep.

True story .. we had the guy who designed Munchkin at a con over here some years ago, playing with a couple of the local MIBs (the ones that promote SJ Games stuff). They called him on how he was playing a particular card .. he was actually wrong, according to the wording. He scribbled out the wording, rewrote it, signed it to make it official and played on.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Fear the mighty Gazebo! :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Risa

Cherri Tart

this looks fun... how many people can play it?  i was thinking it be a fun rainy evening game if only two could play...
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

The more the merrier. I find it works best with about 5 or 6, as there are lots more opportunities to screw each other over that way, and when someone is close to winning, you need everyone to jump on them at once  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

kylie

Ooh, story based on Munchkin anyone?

Perhaps a corny idea...  But I need a good excuse to get the cards ;)

HairyHeretic

I think the idea of playing one of these card games has been kicked around a time or two, but I'm not sure anything ever came of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Xillen

I've got the normal game with all it's expansions, which is fun, except that eventually, you just have so many cards, that some rarely come up. For example, the newest set, Dungeons, allows you to move from one Dungeon to another whenever a portal card comes up. There are 16 portal cards, in a deck of... a few hundred?

4-6 players is best for Munchkin, imho.

I also have the boardgame, which really needs all the players getting used to it, to make it playable at a decent speed.

I've played out the Werewolf game her earlier, though the nature of that game might not be the best for Elliquiy. I wouldn't mind hosting a Munchkin game, or playing in one, if someone else would host it.

HairyHeretic

What's the boardgame like? I've seen it in the shops, but haven't played it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Xillen

It's pretty funny. Stuff looks less seperated, as you actually move around the board towards new rooms to explore. And if you do not manage to defeat a monster, it stays on the board and starts wandering around. In addition, every single room has it's own rules affecting combat, or treasure hunting, or allows you to make deals. Munchkin can only assist each other in combat if they're next to each other. This might sound a bit like more of the same thing, but it'll broaden the game considerably, also making it slightly less RNG allowing for more strategy.

The big disadvantage (especially with new players) is that each player turn consists of 3 actions, which at the very start of the game could come down to exploring 3 rooms, fighting 3 monsters and dividing treasure for those three fights in a single turn. Though the 3 actions make much more sense after a few turns, when the board is layed out, it might leave a bit of a waittime between two of your turns. It's ok, though, when players are familiar with the rules and keep the speed up.