(Adult?) Fiasco - Interest Check

Started by Morell, November 04, 2013, 04:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morell

What is Fiasco?

(From the Bully Pulpit website)
THINGS CAN GO WRONG, FAST…
Maybe some dude from youth group talked you into boosting a case of motor oil, but now your cousin is dead in a swamp and you killed him. Maybe you and your girlfriend figured you could scare your wife into a divorce, but things went pear-shaped and now a gang of cranked-up Mexicans with latex gloves and a pit bull are looking for you.It seemed like such a good idea at the time.Fiasco is inspired by cinematic tales of small time capers gone disastrously wrong – inspired by films like Blood Simple, Fargo, The Way of the Gun, Burn After Reading, and A Simple Plan. You’ll play ordinary people with powerful ambition and poor impulse control. There will be big dreams and flawed execution. It won’t go well for them, to put it mildly, and in the end it will probably all go south in a glorious heap of jealousy, murder, and recrimination. Lives and reputations will be lost, painful wisdom will be gained, and if you are really lucky, your guy just might end up back where he started.FIASCO is an award-winning, GM-less game for 3-5 players, designed to be played in a few hours with six-sided dice and no preparation. During a game you will engineer and play out stupid, disastrous situations, usually at the intersection of greed, fear, and lust. It’s like making your own Coen brothers movie, in about the same amount of time it’d take to watch one.

What I'm thinking...

Fiasco is an amazing game to play around the table. And I wondered if it was possible to play it in a pbp style. So this is mostly an interest check, and if the idea appeals to you then perhaps we can figure out together how to make it work.

I was thinking about writing a playset focused on more of an adult erotic thriller dynamic. Inspired by films such as Wild Things, Basic Instinct, Cruel Intentions, The Crush, that kind of dangerous lust-driven psycho bitch movie. Alternatively, I would be absolutely fine with doing a non-erotic themed playset, some kind of bank heist or something like that would be divine.

How does this work in a PbP?

It's been done successfully before. Basically it just takes a bit of organization, communication, and regular responses. We can expect to get through 1 scene a week, hopefully, ending the game in about 3 months. We would also have to limit the players with a hard maximum of 4, although ideally 3, so that its very rare for someone to be counted out of scenes constantly.

Anyway, before I go into too much detail, I'd like to see if there's even an interest. So let me know what you think!

Recruitment Currently:Closed

Phaia

OH WOW talk about fate!!!  a few months back i was part of a thread that was discussing Fiasco...never went far but I was able to see the table top games you tube of a fiasco sesson and have wanted to be in a one since  in fact I was just watching them again yesterday...so YEA I AM INTERESTED!!!

phaia

Morell

Oh great! There's one down, and it helps that you have an idea of how it works, too. That's how I found out about it, with that Tabletop episode. Let's see if we can get one more interested and then we can talk playsets.

Cyrano Johnson

Bookmarking for interest. I may have too much on the go to join right this minute, but was party to that almost-session with Phaia and I might consider shuffling a couple things around to help make it happen.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Ebb

I'd be interested in giving this a try. I've played the tabletop game, and it was a lot of fun. I think that the Fiasco companion has some hints for playing by post; I'll check the book at home if I can find it.

Morell

Great, let me know both of you. I have the main book but not the companion.

Do you all like the idea of writing a playset based on the erotic thriller idea? Or perhaps we can vote on a different one. After all, one of the main aspects of the game is lust, so that goes well with the spirit of Elliquiy. I was really intrigued by the new crime pack they just released. Either way, I'm open to ideas.

Ebb

Quote from: Morell on November 05, 2013, 02:33:34 PM
Great, let me know both of you. I have the main book but not the companion.

Do you all like the idea of writing a playset based on the erotic thriller idea? Or perhaps we can vote on a different one. After all, one of the main aspects of the game is lust, so that goes well with the spirit of Elliquiy. I was really intrigued by the new crime pack they just released. Either way, I'm open to ideas.

Playsets can be tricky to write. I'd recommend going with an established one that someone else has playtested. You could substitute in some elements for more erotic ones if want to tinker with it.

I think the biggest difference between a Fiasco game and a normal Elliquiy play-by-post is the notion that in Fiasco if it's your turn you write the scene, including all of the characters. So the normal guidelines about god-moding probably wouldn't apply exactly. I'd say that's something you'd want to work out among your player group before starting.

Morell

Quote from: Ebb on November 05, 2013, 02:37:32 PM
Playsets can be tricky to write. I'd recommend going with an established one that someone else has playtested. You could substitute in some elements for more erotic ones if want to tinker with it.

I think the biggest difference between a Fiasco game and a normal Elliquiy play-by-post is the notion that in Fiasco if it's your turn you write the scene, including all of the characters. So the normal guidelines about god-moding probably wouldn't apply exactly. I'd say that's something you'd want to work out among your player group before starting.

You mean you write the entire scene from beginning to end? It may have to come to that, but I rather enjoy the on-the-fly thinking that a normal game presents, as is also how I tend to write my RPs. No particular aim, you and your partner find the way by playing off each other. But with Fiasco's nature in a pbp environment, it can be a little more complicated. The two (or more) people in the scene will have to post regularly, as well as someone reading along to pass them a black or white die so they know how the scene should end. Hmm, I'd be interested to see how they suggest handling that in the companion. Perhaps I'll get the pdf right now.

Edit:

So I took a look at it and it all seems to make pretty good sense. They gave an example that was written in more of a movie script format with short dialog bursts rather than long-form narrative we normally might use for role plays. I think it's definitely doable.

I'd also like to close recruitment for this, considering Ebb and Phaia are definitely interested which gives us 3, and Cyrano is a maybe. We definitely do not want more than 4 players. So, if everyone is good, we can start planning and we'll figure out the details as we go along.

I think it would be nice if everyone who wants to, suggest two playsets they would really like to try out, give the title and description and if one doesn't stand out immediately for all of us, maybe we can do some random chaos a la Fiasco, and roll dice on which one we'll use. Sound good?

Cyrano Johnson

You know, we had some links to good playsets in that old Fiasco thread. One was to a Havana-in-the-Fifties playset that I quite liked, there was another one in Florence of the Medicis... I'll try to dig it up later if Phaia doesn't beat me to it.

Morell

Just drew up a quick google doc as a facilitator for keeping things organized. See what you guys think. Of course, I'll make it prettier if we use it.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1_Ui1uikSxyiriJYeJ4HCC1eIU7vVl21C2aMX4nvnhNY/edit?usp=sharing

Cyrano Johnson

That's a very nifty setup, Morell, I like it!

Huh, that link I was remembering from the old (very old) Fiasco thread was just to the download section of the Bully Pulpit website. The Penthouse, De Medici, Havana 1953, Los Angeles 1936, Saturday Night 78 are all there.

Screw it, I'll just stop teasing and say I'm in.

Phaia

I kinda liked the Havanna one as well but i am game for whatever...oh wait i am the only guurrll ...hmmm ...i can see this now...nude tabe dancing sounds like a good idea...oh wait its a house full of radical islamics   yeeeeppp!!

Phaia

Cyrano Johnson

I'd be game for playing across gender if you don't want to be the only ladyperson, Phaia  XD (And assuming all are okay with that...)

Morell

Quote from: Phaia on November 05, 2013, 06:30:11 PM
I kinda liked the Havanna one as well but i am game for whatever...oh wait i am the only guurrll ...hmmm ...i can see this now...nude tabe dancing sounds like a good idea...oh wait its a house full of radical islamics   yeeeeppp!!

Phaia

Perfect Fiasco setting if you ask me!

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on November 05, 2013, 06:31:58 PM
I'd be game for playing across gender if you don't want to be the only ladyperson, Phaia  XD (And assuming all are okay with that...)

I'm fine with that, I was open to the idea also. Hell Phaia can play a guy if she wanted.

I just read the Havana one, I can definitely get into it. So as long as Ebb is okay, we can start rolling some dice.

PS, does anyone know how to do some random dice rolling on this forum? I can update the google doc with the right numbers, but we need some randomness to be generated. 2 white and 2 black for each person playing.

Ebb

Havana looks good.

Typical practice now would be to set up a new thread for the game, so we're not playing here in the Request forum. We could do one thread for the setup, and then when that's done start a second thread for the play of the game. The "NC-Human-System Small Groups" forum is probably the most fitting. It's here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=345.0

Once you've started the thread I can do a post with random die rolls in it, if you like. Unless people really want to roll their own, it's probably easiest for one person to just do the 8 white and 8 black dice.

Phaia

I think in the havanna one being the only female is  cool ....i have no problem with ebb rolling the die ...do you all have all the stuff for havanna?

i do not really have anything from fiasco

phaia

Cyrano Johnson

Morell

Ebb

Our black dice:

6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 2

Our white dice:

6, 6, 2, 3, 6, 5, 3, 3

(Not that color matters for this first part.)

So we have:

6: o o o o o
5: o o o o o o
4:
3: o o o
2: o o
1:

What an odd distribution...