News:

Main Menu

Are You? #51

Started by Spookie Monster, December 19, 2009, 08:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Well, ARE YOU?

Spel

Have you checked out Are You? #50 yet?  How about Are You? #29?

Have for years and years you roamed?
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Saerrael

Can't really recall when I started Roleplaying. I think I was 15, so that would make 16 years of ArPee here.

Mnemaxa

Since forever.  About 25 years now.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

HairyHeretic

I've over 20 years behind the GMs screen, and probably about 25 of actual roleplaying. Possibly more if you count the old Fighting Fantasy books that got me started :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beguile's Mistress

Is a measly 5-1/2 months considered new? or old?  or not old or not really new but not a virgin either.  Does it help that I feel like I've been here forever? or that I like it so much here I never want to leave?

Lilias

I came to formal RPGs at an age when most casual gamers abandon them because they have 'outgrown' them, but the grip has only been strengthening with time. It's been over a decade now, and I don't see things changing in the foreseeable future.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Spookie Monster

It only occurred to me after I posted this question that 2009 represented a sort of milestone (1.6 kilometerstone) to me myself: January 2009 marked the 20th anniversary of my first roleplaying purchase!  O.K., O.K., it was only an issue of Dragon,* but it was a big step for me, because I never had much cash and thus spent what I did have only with great deliberation.  I actually got into pen-and-paper roleplaying about six months earlier, when a friend of mine introduced me to his group.  They rarely let me play (they were quite the clique), so after I bought that issue of Dragon I saved up for some Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks, bought 'em, started my own group, and never looked back!

When I first got started in pen-and-paper roleplaying, incidentally, I distinctly remember asking this:

"Can I roll up both a dwarf and a monk?"

Not "play in this scenario," mind you -- just "roll up."

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 22, 2009, 02:38:14 PMIs a measly 5-1/2 months considered new? or old?  or not old or not really new but not a virgin either.  Does it help that I feel like I've been here forever? or that I like it so much here I never want to leave?
Good question -- er, questions.  I'm not qualified to judge, I'm afraid, despite having asked the question in the first place.  That said, the fact that you feel as though you've been here (and, it's insinuated, that you've been playing) forever suggests to me myself that you're closer to veteran than to novice.  (The fact that you enjoy playing so much that you never want to leave only indicates that you're a naughty, naughty, irredeemable addict.  Fortunately, sweet thang, we gots whatchu need...)

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

Spel

* I bought it in particular because it contained rules for playing orcs and goblins and so on.  Even back then I embraced my monstrous nature!

I've had so many dreams!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~