Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Into the Unknown returns!

Started by MagicalPen, December 29, 2011, 10:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

The smell of Ale, Tobacco, and Leather hang heavy in the air of the Thirsty Turtle, a thriving Inn & Tavern in the Frontier Town of Tetrarch. The sounds of a minstrel, playing on a flute, are drowned out by the general chatter and laughter of the patrons gathered inside. A pig roasts over the open flames of a fire pit, the taverns specialty, and much sought after after a hard days work.

Tetrarch itself is large for a Frontier Town. A recent discovery of gold in the hills nearby has brought a sudden rush of those seeking their fortune. The Wilds to the North offer Big Game to those brave enough to travel into its depths. Others yet seek fame and fortune, seeking the Lost City of This or That, rumored to lay out in the Wilds.

The Wilds themselves are story enough. Unknown riches and dangers lay to the expanses of the northern reaches. Ruins have been found in among the trees, as have Barbarians and Trbes of Norsemen, vicious and deadly in everything they do. And there is, of course, the tale of the Legion - the 13th Legion of the Red, sent to pacify the Wilds, the 13th Legion that disappeared into the mists one foggy morning as they left their barracks at Tetrarch, never to be seen of or heard from again. The Tale of the 13th Legion has drawn its share of adventurers for many years, all hoping to find some relic of the Legion. Many have tried and all have failed - many explorers themselves disappearing into the Mists.

But the sign posted in the Thirsty Turtle has drawn many eyes. The Brionti Family is known for its Military Service and recent wealth, though no members are known to reside in Tetrarch. For them to send such a Warrant from the confines of the Capital of Ribenheim, not to mention the incredible pay, means that they are up to something. But who will sign up for such an Unknown task?

------
------
Seeking a detail-orientated group of 3 - 4 persons.
------
------

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Ghostraven

Hello  :-)

So are you planning for this to be a free-form game or system?

MagicalPen

Relatively freeform. There will not be stats or anything of the like, but I may (or may not) decide to a do a very basic dice-system on my (GM) end of things when it comes to combat.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Scribbles

I'd love to join this!

Just a few questions; what are you expecting in terms of magic, races and equipment (technology)?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

MagicalPen

The general technology level should be considered Medieval. A fantasy setting...so an Earthlike world, with made-up countries, factions etc.

As for races and magic...I think in regards to magic there will be low levels of magic scattered throughout the world, mainly as a form of Healing Magic (though there are exceptions). And Races...always a good question. I think I shall allow (as far as playable races) - Human, Elf, Half-Elf, and Dwarf. 

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Codswallop

This looks really interesting.  I had the idea of an aging Vanir mercenary for a Hyborian Age game that I never got a chance to play, so it would be neat to try the character.  He’s on the far side of forty with enough battle prowess to live that long, so party wise he’d be a tank and an outdoorsman if you think it would be a good fit.

Scribbles

Thanks MagicalPen, it sounds perfect for the character I have in mind! One last question, would you allow a character who dabbles in herbs, salves and potions? Nothing magical, mostly just to be used as curatives or drugs.
AA and OO

bubby

If you're interested in a bloodthirsty warrior woman, I'd be interested. However, my question is, what sort of posting pace are you seeking?

MagicalPen

My days off are Thursday and Friday each week. So those are generally days where I will be able to respond. So, tentatively, I am going to say a posting rate of 2 - 3 posts per week. I'd like whomever is accepted into the game to get into a posting order...Person 1, Person 2, Person 3, Person 1, Person 2, Person 3, etc...that way everyone has a fair chance and we keep a flow to the game.

Thus my requirement of quality writing, long term players, as far too many new folk flake out after 3 months of being on E if they survive the first month.

I'll be posting more details on the World soon, so people can better formulate characters that actually fit into the world.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

bubby

My days off are Sat. Sun, and are my normal posting days. A slow(er) game is much better for me, one where posting a well thought out response once a week is better, so maybe this isn't the game for me.

I wish you luck though, it's a wonderful idea!

Scribbles

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll be able to guarantee two to three posts a week either. It was tempting to try but I'd rather not risk it.

Still, lots of luck from me too!
AA and OO

MagicalPen

Well, we can slow it down to 1 - 2 posts a week then. Most people prefer a higher posting rate, which is why I ballparked 3, but if I'm going to be totally honest (and given that not everyone can post on days I post) 1 - 2 posts a week is a much more realistic figure. I know for a fact that - unless absolutely needed from the GM point of view - I probably won't be able to post during the work-week. 10 hour days are so much fun when managing 12 underlings.

So, if you ladies (hopefully) read this I hope you hop back in.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Seventh

Sounds interesting! I always enjoy these types of games, so I'd love to take part! Not entirely sure what sort of character I'd play - I'm thinking a human archer of sorts. I'm sure I'll have a better idea once there's a little more detail on the world!

Ghostraven

I was thinking of a female Elf rogue/thief.  If it fits in your world MagicalPen; I'd like to play a Dark Elf more like the Dark Elves from Warhammer rather than a D&D Drow. She would be more of a neutral mercenary rather than evil.

*Hops*

TTYL

Ghostraven

Scribbles

Quote from: MagicalPen on December 30, 2011, 10:17:10 PMSo, if you ladies (hopefully) read this I hope you hop back in.

*Hops*   :-)
AA and OO

bubby

*HOPS!* IF I can play my female bloodthirsty female warrior? Human...or I could change her race to whatever you'd like really...just as long as she's bloodthirsty...  ;D

grovercjuk

Would this be acceptable?

Basic Information.

Name: Katrina Stormchaser
Race: Human
Profession: Archer

Appearance.

Hair: Blonde.
Eyes: Blue.
Height and weight. 6' 1" 170lbs.
Physical description.

If you asked Katrina what one word she would like to be applied to her then it would be professional. Not attractive or beautiful as many of her sisters would have liked. And she looks the part, her armour is cared for as are her weapons but there is no flash about them at all. From her close cropped hair to her sturdy boots she looked exactly like what she is, a professional mercenary archer.

Her longbow is slung over her shoulder, two quivers of arrows easily assessable along with a workman like sword hanging at her waist. She wears a mail shirt, which she has covered with brown cloth to prevent sun flash.  Her leather trousers are hard wearing and travel worn, as are her leather boots. Other equipment is in a back pack that is easily dumped for combat.

Personality.

Likes: Being professional, travelling, hitting the target every time.
Dislikes: Amateurs, flashy types, merchants.
Phobias: Magic, she really is not comfortable about the way in which magic brings forth something from nothing.
Interacting with others. When it comes to interacting with others she deals with people on a professional basis. You do your end and she will do hers. Social interaction is a whole new ball game. She really does not get social interaction, the whole flattery and white likes thing just baffle her. I mean why being me flowers? If I wanted some I would go and get some and what would I do with them anyhow?
Believes that: Her core belief is get it right, first time, every time and you live, piss around and you die, it really is that simple.

Equipment.

Weapons and armour.
       She wears a Chainmail with leather trousers and boots. A longbow and a Falchion are her primary weapons along with a dagger on her belt and a cut throat razor in a pouch at the back of her neck.
Other equipment.
         Bbackpack, rope,a plain brown hooded traveler's cloak, a bedroll and traveler's tent, dried foodstuffs for a week, waterskin and miscellaneous items such as a lantern, oil, fish hooks etc.

Other important stuff.

Deities. She worships the ThunderBird God of thunder and storms.
When scared: She braces herself and takes better aim as well as make unsavory comments.
The thing she wants most but would never tell anyone about is: A man who would love her for what she is.
She's lonely when: She is in a social situation and every one else is enjoying themselves.
The things you need to know about his past are:
      She grew up in a border stronghold where raiders swept in on a regular basis. One such raid left her mother dead and her father bringing up four sons and one daughter.  Not having a clue about how to bring up a daughter her father decided to treat her as a son who just had to sit to pee. Hence her more masculine outlook on life.
             Life was hard, she was drilled in weapons and had all the combat she wanted. But she had wonder lust, a trait she got from her mother, one of the rare comments her father said about her mother. The barbarian warrior who came and won his heart only to break it when she died leaving him with a family.
            So to indulge her wonder lust Katrina enlisted as a caravan guard, a good one but she grew sick of seeing good companions die whilst the merchant cowered in his wagon and then at the end getting all the rewards.

MagicalPen

Wow, quite a bit more interest though I am not currently accepting character sheets at this point (since I haven't decided what I want in them, nor have I posted more world information). Also -for future reference- since I am keeping this group small and dedicated, I would prefer 'Applications' (Once Character Sheets etc are up) to be done via PM. Clearly more then 4 people are interested at this point so that means some people will be declined. UNLESS I get 5 or 6 AMAZING character concepts and writers. But thats a big "WHAT IF" at this point since I'd prefer to keep things small and focused.

As for some pre-posed questions, here are some answers:

1. Female Bloodthirsty Warrior = Fine by me. Human is the more common of the races (Human Kingdom after all) so that works fine.
2. Dark Elf = Not so keen on this idea. Drow are - like Orcs - type-caste into Evil roles and this would not fit in with my vision of the world. "Regular" Elves - Wood Elves, High Elves, Tolkien Elves, what have you are fine. (More on Races coming soon!)
3. I guess there was no third question. Shush [you]!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Ghostraven

Hmmm...well "Not so keen on this idea." is not a no.  :P

I can do a "regular" elf if that fits better. I do have another question though; how low is magic; are there casters or are they relegated to legendary characters that aren't players?

TTYL

Ghostraven

MagicalPen

A Guide to Ribenheim

An Elf in Mortal Combat

Character Sheets

For character creation, use the following form (a simple Copy/Paste eliminates writing your own code):

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Character Sex: [/b]
[b]Character Race:[/b]
[b]Character Appearance:[/b]
[b]Character Items:[/b]
[b]Character Strengths and Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Character Skills:[/b]
[b]Character Background and History:[/b]
[b]Reason behind joining the Party:[/b]
[b]Additional Notes:[/b]

And the breakdown of each category:

Character Name: Something fitting please.
Character Age: Actual Age + Looks-to-be-about-Age
Character Sex: Male or Female
Character Race: The Race of the Character (Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf)
Character Appearance: Description and/or Picture. No Anime. No Final Fantasy Massive Swords. Looking for something more realistic. Look at my posted pictures for guidance.
Character Items: Essentially, what they will be taking with them into the Wilds. So think realistic terms -how much can one person carry.
Character Skills: Crafting? Potions? Herbology? Cooking? Archery? Tracking? etc.
Character Strengths and Weaknesses: We're all Human.
Character Background and History: Creativity and Description goes a long way here.
Reason behind joining the Party: Due to possible plot twists (based on your characters) this can be kept *Private* once it has been discussed with me. Most people will not need such privacy.
Additional Notes: Anything left uncovered that you need/want people to know.

Note: Credit goes to http://www.rdinn.com/guild/41/common_fantasy_races.html for Race Descriptions for Elves, Half-Elves, and Dwarves

Playable Races in Color:

Human - Humans are the most commonly found Race in Ribenheim. While possessing a shorter lifespan, they are a hardy and resourceful race. They rival the other races in Artistic works. Due to their ability to breed easily, they are the most numerous Race and are able to field large armies against their foes which has helped spread their borders. Humans come in all shapes and sizes and personalities, making it hard to fully understand them.

Elf - slighter of build than humans, in most world elves are also slighly shorter (not in Audalis, however). They have pointed ears and almond-shaped eyes; elves love nature and the forest, and tend to dislike cities. Elves live an extremely long time - 600 years is very typical. Conversely, they do not mature as quickly... 60 to 100 years is cosidered to be the elven equivilant of manhood. Elves commonly consider themselves to be the 'highest' race in a world, and are often thought arrogant by other races. Elves have natural skills with bow and sword. Elves are very agile but are not quite as sturdy as humans. Elves possess a special ability known as infravision - basically, they can see in the dark, to a limited degree.

Half-Elf - Half elves are not truly a race, per se, but a result of human and elven intermingling. While longer-lived than humans, their lifespan is shorter than that of elves, typically 250-300 years. Like elves, most half-elves have pointed ears and almond-shaped eyes; unlike them, most half-elven males grow facial hair. Half-elves tend to fit in better with humans, but in some cases, don't fit in at all. They posess infravision, though not as strongly as elves.

Dwarf - Sturdy and strong, Dwarves rarely grow taller than four feet, but are very solidly built. Long-lived, dwarves can see 300 years easily. Dwarves love the earth, and often live in subterranian cities. Many consider them greedy, as they love to mine for gems and precious metals. Dwarves are excellent smiths, and make prized armor and weapons. Dwarves are very tough and are also typically a bit unpolished - a common stereotype of Dwarves is their love for Ale. Dwarves distrust magic. Dwarves posess infravision similar to half-elves.

A Brief History of Tetrarch and its Surrounding Territories

Tetrarch is nestled on the Northern Frontier. Until a recent Gold discovery in the hills nearby, Tetrarch was a place of little importance. It was a place where the scum of scoiety could be found: Murderers, Thieves, people looking to be forgotten about. The type of people who would hang from the gallows if found, or who wind up with their throats slit in the gutters. It was also home to Trappers and Fur Traders, the Wilds to the North offering plenty of bounty for those brave enough to venture into it.

The Wilds, of course, are rumored to be inhabited by all sorts of creatures and Wild Men. Tribes are known to exist in the Wilds though there has been little contact with them. Tales of lost Riches and Cities of Gold have attracted Treasure Hunters and those seeking fame and fortune. No great discoveries have been made and many of those who venture into the North do not return.

In more recent times, the 13th Legion was stationed in Tetrarch, swelling the Frontier Village into something more like a Town. The 13th Legion encamped for nearly a year while preparations were made, most significantly a Ferry crossing the White River to the Northern Shores that make getting into the Wilds much easier. And with that many men, the encampment spread along the Northern Shore. The 13th Legion soon set off into the Wilds and has never been seen of or heard from again.

The Legend of the Legion has only drawn more people to Tetrarch though it has been some 12 years since then. The Frontier Town is by far the largest and, as such, has drawn the attention of the Empire - enough to clean up the main streets and establish Tetrarch as a respectable town. The current Gold Rush has brought even more people to Tetrarch, swelling the markets and shanty towns popping up around the stone walls of the town proper.

Citizens of Tetrarch belong to all manners of classes and professions, making it one of the more diverse towns in the North, though it certainly has a much shadier side to it as well, with a strong criminal element heralding back to its founding days.

On Magic...

Magic

Magic is a rare Art in Ribenheim. It general exists in the form of the healing arts though Legends often speak of Great Wizards and people possessing Wild Magic.

To the commoner, Magic is only a myth though there are some healers who do seem to posses that healing touch. Most who are discovered to possess magic are outcast from society so it is generally kept a secret.

Weapons and Armor of Legend are said to be enchanted with Magic, but all of these Mystical Items have long been lost with countless rumors as to where there whereabouts are now. Many have sought them out but it has been hundreds of years since any were last seen.

If you wish to play a character versed in magic, you must PM me first.

STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

bubby

*Beams at Pen*

I shall work on getting you a char sheet today darlin'.

Senti

shush yes there is something...

i think I might have a character.

Ok Assasin type or stoned magic type?

bubby

Char has been PM'd.

On a side note: I notice you have 'stats' in your Race bio's. Unfortunately, not being a gamer, I have NO clue how those stats work. Nor what they mean.  I hope this won't be an issue?

MagicalPen

Thats just a simple copy/paste error. I haven't had a chance to go through and fine-tune the descriptions yet.

Hopefully will be able to that in the next hour or two.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

bubby