Trump

Started by Vekseid, February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I read her Wikipedia page and I still have to say 'Who is this person and why are they relevant?'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oniya

In somewhat bigger news, Trump's administration has lost another member.

Acosta has resigned over the 'distraction of the Jeffrey Epstein case'.  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/labor-secretary-alex-acosta-is-resigning-as-pressure-mounts-from-jeffrey-epstein-case.html

Article doesn't go into much detail, but I'm giving notice to those unfamiliar with it that the Epstein case does involve sexual abuse of minors.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

How many of his original cabinet members are still there? Pretty sure DeVoss is still trying to set the public education system on fire, and Carson continues to be utterly wasted in H&UD.

Kitteredge

Acosta dives under the bus to save his masters. Knowing how useless the American press is, they'll consider this matter resolved.

Oniya

MSNBC has published a list of the people that have 'departed' during this administration.

Oniya

Donald Trump has tweeted out that certain Congresswomen should 'go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came'  Three of those Congresswomen were born in the US (Ohio, New York, and Michigan).  One is a naturalized US citizen.

He ain't talking about fixing their home states.  He specifically said 'countries'.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1150381394234941448

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on July 14, 2019, 11:12:32 AM
Donald Trump has tweeted out that certain Congresswomen should 'go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came'  Three of those Congresswomen were born in the US (Ohio, New York, and Michigan).  One is a naturalized US citizen.

He ain't talking about fixing their home states.  He specifically said 'countries'.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1150381394234941448

The birther spin all over again - is anyone really surprised? Though this time around, he may be using "from where they came" as semi-shorthand for "where their parents came from". He and many in his voter base still think people are absolutely defined by where their parents or grandparents were born. Anyway, he'll pull the argument "you don't have the space to be scientifically precise and long-winded in a tweet, people will get what I meant!".

As for Trump himself, his mother was an economic migrant who sailed in from dirt poor Ireland with limited working skills. In her son's language, a "foreign fortune seeker",

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 14, 2019, 01:15:51 PM
The birther spin all over again - is anyone really surprised? Though this time around, he may be using "from where they came" as semi-shorthand for "where their parents came from". He and many in his voter base still think people are absolutely defined by where their parents or grandparents were born. Anyway, he'll pull the argument "you don't have the space to be scientifically precise and long-winded in a tweet, people will get what I meant!".

As for Trump himself, his mother was an economic migrant who sailed in from dirt poor Ireland with limited working skills. In her son's language, a "foreign fortune seeker",

Thought his mom was Scottish not Irish?

Oniya

Anyway, he'll pull the argument "you don't have the space to be scientifically precise and long-winded in a tweet, people will get what I meant!".

Except that his tweet spans three posts.

We won't mention his current wife.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, but his mother and his wife are whiteEuropean.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 14, 2019, 01:57:25 PM
Thought his mom was Scottish not Irish?

Correct, she came from Scotland - though she and her family by birth were Gaelic speakers and in terms of economy and culture the milieu where she grew up was not that different from the more impoverished parts of Ireland. Mary Anne McLeod left Scotland for New York at age 17 and had practically no work skills at the time except knowing English as a second language.

Interestingly, in view of the "citizenship question" debate:

Quote from: WikipediaThough the 1940 census form filed by Mary Anne and her husband Fred Trump stated that she was a naturalized citizen, she did not actually become one until March 10, 1942.However, there is no evidence that she violated any immigration laws prior to her naturalization

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Anne_MacLeod_Trump#Immigration_to_the_United_States

In other words, if she had come under the laws her son wants to put in place, and had not been white, she would 1) have risked being deported or refused entry into the US as "just another ignorant gold-digger" and 2) would have felt she had to bluff about her citizenship status when filling out a census with that question.

I'm sure Trump thinks his mother was a smart cookie.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Tolvo

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-central-americans-asylum-protections-20190715-story.html

https://www.americanprogress.org/press/statement/2019/07/15/472066/statement-trumps-new-asylum-rule-illegal-plain-simple-says-caps-tom-jawetz/

Trump has announced he is putting into motion a new rule, that no one can apply for asylum in the USA if they traveled to the USA through more than one country. It means only countries that asylum seekers can only originate from countries with direct contact with the USA.

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/is-the-new-labor-secretary-even-worse-63767109808?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

I meant to post this when Acosta first was leaving but forgot to. His replacement also seems to be a monstrous person.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/politics/donald-trump-tweets-democratic-congresswomen-race-nationalities/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/politics/trump-racist-tweets-progressive-democratic-congresswomen-aoc/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics/donald-trump-racist-tweets-democrats/index.html

Donald Trump made a tweet thread with racist attacks on poc in congress and said if they criticize the USA they should "Go back to where they came from."

Regina Minx

Quote from: Tolvo on July 15, 2019, 02:50:47 PM
Donald Trump made a tweet thread with racist attacks on poc in congress and said if they criticize the USA they should "Go back to where they came from."

The only thing that surprises me about this is that people are still surprised by it.

Tolvo

It's honestly just more of his birther nonsense. 3 of the congresswomen he attacked are US born. He also claimed one supported Al Queda and that they were communists. It might be his hope that someone will assassinate them.

Kitteredge

He's lashing out, but by his animal cunning. This attack is true -- he's racist as fuck -- but he's also trying to steer attention away from other things. My guess would be Epstein, which seems to be something that terrifies him, i.e. how close he was to the man and what he did with him. Trump has a genius for driving the narrative.

Oniya

Quote from: Kitteredge on July 15, 2019, 03:58:05 PM
He's lashing out, but by his animal cunning. This attack is true -- he's racist as fuck -- but he's also trying to steer attention away from other things. My guess would be Epstein, which seems to be something that terrifies him, i.e. how close he was to the man and what he did with him. Trump has a genius for driving the narrative.

(Spotted on Twitter):
America 2019, where the president's sexual assault victim gets pushed out of the news by the president's concentration camps for children, which gets pushed out of the news by the president's child-sex-trafficking bestie which gets pushed out of the news by the president's racism

Tolvo

Ironically enough despite all of this he still isn't the worst president we've had. Which goes to show some of the previous monstrous people we've had in office that this still isn't the worst at least regarding ethics and morality. Andrew Jackson is pretty hard to compete with in regards to worst. Then you've got both Bushes, Nixon, Reagan, Truman, and more.

Oniya

Quote from: Tolvo on July 15, 2019, 04:52:55 PM
Ironically enough despite all of this he still isn't the worst president we've had. Which goes to show some of the previous monstrous people we've had in office that this still isn't the worst at least regarding ethics and morality. Andrew Jackson is pretty hard to compete with in regards to worst. Then you've got both Bushes, Nixon, Reagan, Truman, and more.

I'd say he's in the bottom 5.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of Nixon.  At least the others (with the possible exception of Jackson) had the sense of diplomacy to not fully and publicly embrace the level of crap that Trump is tweeting from the rooftops.

Tolvo

I usually go by deaths and harm caused. Trump is going to rank worse if it's in regard to harm a president has caused to people of the USA though economic harm from people like Bush Sr and Reagan should be considered. Jackson still ends up in worst territory due to his genocides of Native Americans. When it comes to racism it is hard for Trump to compare to any slave owners or people who enacted active genocides, though Trump is in position to end up in worst territory there with a single order. We are effectively currently in multiple genocides under Trump they just aren't open ones, or rather aren't full of outright execution but are rather slow deaths and removal of people's rights and lives in America. For sexual assault we still have Thomas Jefferson who had children with a slave he owned, which is rape. Especially if going by modern standards as she was underage. Trump is kind of at that point where he's going to go down as one of our worst presidents but hasn't solidified himself yet as absolute worst territory. But he'd likely do so if given the opportunity.

legomaster00156

It's true, Trump is not the most racist President in U.S. history. He's just the most brazenly racist in a time period when we really should be past this bullshit.

Regina Minx

Oniya

History test!  Fill in the blank with the correct President!

"Which said utterances, declarations, threats and harangues, highly censurable in any, are peculiarly indecent and unbecoming in the Chief Magistrate of the United States, by means whereof the said ____________ has brought the high office of the President of the United States into contempt, ridicule and disgrace, to the great scandal of all good citizens, whereby said _____________, President of the United States, did commit, and was then and there guilty of a high misdemeanor in office."

Tolvo

That sounds like impeachment proceedings, so Andrew Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton. And judging by the language it sounds like Johnson unless someone reaaaaally old was speaking.

Oniya

Quote from: Tolvo on July 16, 2019, 12:35:25 PM
That sounds like impeachment proceedings, so Andrew Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton. And judging by the language it sounds like Johnson unless someone reaaaaally old was speaking.

Absolutely correct - the man who was only one vote away from actually being removed from office.  (Nixon, as a point of trivia, resigned before his impeachment could take place.)

I found it very interesting that one of the charges against Johnson is such a spot-on description of Trump.

legomaster00156

"I don’t have a Racist bone in my body!"

Trump is correct, he has 206.