The Maiden Voyage of RMS Mystic (CLOSED for Recruiting)

Started by Zillah, March 03, 2013, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branwen

My partner may not be able to make the game.  If not, does anyone need a maid or generic servant, or perhaps the ship itself does?

Zillah

The Mystic, like modern cruise ships, is essentially a giant floating luxury hotel.

So yes - maids, cooks, waitresses, laundresses, and all sorts of support staff would be needed (and would be considered part of the ship's crew). Just an option for you to consider. :)

Branwen

Thank you so much, Zillah.  You're an amazingly responsive GM.

CarnivorousBunny

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Holly Stern
Position:Crew Member, waitress
Sexual Preferences: Straight, switch
Appearance: (Brief written description in addition to picture)
Personality: Holly was the type of woman that made the most of the roaring twenties.  Sassy, impulsive, curious and full of energy, the freedom this time is bringing women brought Holly the time of her life.  Holly was also quite bright, a jack of all trades (but a master of none), and had a knack for finding herself with questionable company.  One of her best and worst traits was her hedonistic tendencies, which made her a lot of fun to be around, but also quite self destructive.
Background: Holly's bad habits probably came from her upbringing.  Her parents were both hardworking individuals who managed to work their way from the bottom up to the upper-middle class, and spoilt their daughter silly.  After she turned ten she never wanted for anything, she ended up needing to make her own difficulties and problems, a habit that would only become worse after she hit puberty.   At least Holly's three other younger siblings would grow up to follow in their parent's footsteps.

Holly became the epitome of a flapper.  She danced all night, drank openly, made friends with scandalous people, and was a frequent at all the hot parties (both the regular kind, and the petting kind).
It was a miracle that she managed to finish college at all.  Her grades were actually quite impressive, which surprised everyone, and this time in a good way.  The buzz of that miracle didn't last long, because a few months after her graduation, Holly's father passed away in a traffic accident.

Her father was obviously the real bread winner of the family, and her mother's salary would not be able to support the tuition of the rest of the Stern family.  Holly, not wanting her siblings to sacrifice their brighter futures, jumped in to action to grab the first job that would have her, with the least amount of drama and politics she could find.
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Ryven

I have a couple of questions...

If this is a five day journey, am I correct in assuming that this RP will be a short term one, relatively speaking?

Are you still looking for other passengers?

Branwen

Quote from: Ryven on March 04, 2013, 09:07:50 PM
If this is a five day journey, am I correct in assuming that this RP will be a short term one, relatively speaking?

Wasn't Gilligan's Island a three hour tour?  :)

Love And Submission

I'm also interested. How do you feel about an first class author?

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

zenpai

hello, i am wondering if it possable to add a racial element to the the story. I want to make a black officer as part of the crew. I know in the 1920's there was a lot of racism. He would be English not American, which is how he became a officer. just a idea let me know.
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Miva

Quote from: Branwen on March 04, 2013, 05:35:18 AM
Look at all of the ~amazing~ writers in here!  Some of you I know *waves to the Chreestafer*, some of you are brand new and are just as wonderful *waves to Miva* and some of you I've seen your work before and admired.  Wow!  This is an intimidating group of people to potentially be a part of.  Intimidating good, not bad.  :)

Zillah, you have one heck of an idea and a reputation to so quickly draw everyone.  Good job!

~waves to Branwen shyly~ thank you :)

now here's my character, hope she's good

Name: Bellinda Oakfield
Position: First Class Passenger
Sexual Preferences:submissive, straight.
Personality: Bellinda, or Bel as her acquaintances and friends call her has is shy around people. fleets around in the background like a specter only noticed for her beauty. Always smiling and polite towards others as she has been taught. Following the rules of her class almost ideally as she was taught in her boarding school.

Background: Bellinda was born to a noble family. Her father was a successful politician and her mother a true lady who had given him the privilege of two daughters aside from Bellinda. Being the youngest she was the spoiled child of the family, given whatever she wants whenever she wants and was overly protected from the harms of society it was normal for the girl to submit to the rules.

She was sent to a boarding school where she had the rest of her education, when she returned home at the age of 18 she already had developed a sense of self esteem and her spirit started to spread its wings in secret. She had a curious nature and wanted to reach beyond the limits of her class which wasn't approved by her family. As a result she acted that she has returned to following the rules and secretly searched for ways to fulfill her curiosity. Her family wanted her to be doing something useful to get her mind astray from her "wild thoughts" as they called it.

She had taken into painting and writing, keeping a secret diary where she writes fictional adventures of herself discovering what she always wanted to do, and painting photos to ease her stress. Her talent was soon known among the ranks of her class and her family has rested assured that their daughter is back on track to what they consider the suitable and righteous way of their family and class. Bel continued to behave as she was requested publicly and secretly seeking to fulfill her soul's desire to know more and be more free from society's regulations and manners.

It was a fateful day, or night, that her mother walked past her door and heard the muffled squeals of her daughter, opening the door she finds Bellinda in her bed with a man ... and not any man, it was their old gardner. Horrified at what she found the poor woman screams and faints, the gardener tries to escape but is caught by the father who shoots him with his gun. He's unable to kill his daughter though, the daughter who shamelessly stood defiant in front of the whole family to claim her freedom. The only solution was to send her to her aunt who lives in New York under the care of the family's best friend who was given a different reason to the girl's journey.

So There was Bel, scheduled to sail on board the RMS Mystic on her way to marriage as the family announced, and to her freedom as she had planned.

bubby

*Yays at being approved*

*Eyes all the delicious mens in the thread*

Zillah, question. Who would Velvet ask about possibly putting on a performance? I know you have the Captain as a NPC, but will he be available enough to ask?

Chreestafer

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Zillah

Quote from: CarnivorousBunny on March 04, 2013, 09:06:01 PM
Name: Holly Stern
Position:Crew Member, waitress
Sexual Preferences: Straight, switch
Appearance: (Brief written description in addition to picture)
Personality: Holly was the type of woman that made the most of the roaring twenties.  Sassy, impulsive, curious and full of energy, the freedom this time is bringing women brought Holly the time of her life.  Holly was also quite bright, a jack of all trades (but a master of none), and had a knack for finding herself with questionable company.  One of her best and worst traits was her hedonistic tendencies, which made her a lot of fun to be around, but also quite self destructive.
Background: Holly's bad habits probably came from her upbringing.  Her parents were both hardworking individuals who managed to work their way from the bottom up to the upper-middle class, and spoilt their daughter silly.  After she turned ten she never wanted for anything, she ended up needing to make her own difficulties and problems, a habit that would only become worse after she hit puberty.   At least Holly's three other younger siblings would grow up to follow in their parent's footsteps.

Holly became the epitome of a flapper.  She danced all night, drank openly, made friends with scandalous people, and was a frequent at all the hot parties (both the regular kind, and the petting kind).
It was a miracle that she managed to finish college at all.  Her grades were actually quite impressive, which surprised everyone, and this time in a good way.  The buzz of that miracle didn't last long, because a few months after her graduation, Holly's father passed away in a traffic accident.

Her father was obviously the real bread winner of the family, and her mother's salary would not be able to support the tuition of the rest of the Stern family.  Holly, not wanting her siblings to sacrifice their brighter futures, jumped in to action to grab the first job that would have her, with the least amount of drama and politics she could find.

Hi CarnivorousBunny,

Looks good ... approved!

Ryven

So, I guess you're still looking for passengers?  I have one conundrum (which I run into often).  I don't think I've seen any other writers writing a male role that is at least bisexual, so that means that if I were to write a character, he'd be strictly interacting for story purposes only since I only write sexy time scenes with other male characters.

As far as my concept, I was thinking of a rich oil tycoon.  Not the man who had struck it rich but perhaps his son who had joined the family business.  I was hoping I might see if anyone would play his 'partner.'  Being that it's the twenties, not many people advertised that they were anything but straight, so he would explain their relationship was purely business and that the other man worked for him while hiding their true relationship.

Zillah

Quote from: Ryven on March 04, 2013, 09:07:50 PM
I have a couple of questions...

Are you still looking for other passengers?

Hi Ryven,

A "five day journey" is all relative ... I've been in RPs here on E where it's taken close to a year of real time for the story to move three days of game time! ::) All I can say is that should everything go well, the game should be going for awhile - I don't anticipate this being something that's over in just a few weeks of real time or so.

Also, this ...

Quote from: Branwen on March 04, 2013, 09:51:20 PM
Wasn't Gilligan's Island a three hour tour?  :)
... and the passengers of Oceanic Flight 815 were supposed to go from Sydney, Australia to Los Angeles, California in just a day. Things happen. >:)

And yes, I'm still looking for more passengers and crew - probably not for too much longer, though. I'll probably leave this open for another day, and then close out this recruitment thread sometime tomorrow so I can focus on creating a OOC thread and getting the game started.

Zillah

Quote from: Ryven on March 05, 2013, 08:45:44 AM
So, I guess you're still looking for passengers?  I have one conundrum (which I run into often).  I don't think I've seen any other writers writing a male role that is at least bisexual, so that means that if I were to write a character, he'd be strictly interacting for story purposes only since I only write sexy time scenes with other male characters.

As far as my concept, I was thinking of a rich oil tycoon.  Not the man who had struck it rich but perhaps his son who had joined the family business.  I was hoping I might see if anyone would play his 'partner.'  Being that it's the twenties, not many people advertised that they were anything but straight, so he would explain their relationship was purely business and that the other man worked for him while hiding their true relationship.

Hello again Ryven,

Sorry about that ... was answering your first queries while you posted your second batch of questions!

Yes, at the moment we don't have any bisexual/gay male characters. If you would like to have your character having some naughty fun, then, you may want to see if you can recruit someone else into the game who'll make a character that meets your requirements. :) I'll also see if any of the players I know on E would be interested in playing a bisexual/gay male character.

The basic character concept you've provided is great. I hope that you'll post a more detailed version of the character soon. :)

Zillah

Quote from: DTW on March 05, 2013, 12:01:12 AM
I'm also interested. How do you feel about an first class author?

An author character would be terrific, DTW.

Zillah

Quote from: zenpai on March 05, 2013, 12:33:33 AM
hello, i am wondering if it possable to add a racial element to the the story. I want to make a black officer as part of the crew. I know in the 1920's there was a lot of racism. He would be English not American, which is how he became a officer. just a idea let me know.

Hey zenpai,

Some quick research leads me to believe that while this wasn't common, this would be plausible. A stint in the Royal Navy would probably be a good idea for your character's background, explaining where he got his initial seafaring experience. But I'm fine with your basic character concept.

Possible jobs/ranks would be First Officer, Second Officer, Quartermaster, or whatever other appropriate rank you like that isn't Captain. :)

Zillah

Quote from: Miva on March 05, 2013, 12:36:02 AM
~waves to Branwen shyly~ thank you :)

now here's my character, hope she's good

Name: Bellinda Oakfield
Sexual Preferences:submissive, straight.
Personality: Bellinda, or Bel as her acquaintances and friends call her has is shy around people. fleets around in the background like a specter only noticed for her beauty. Always smiling and polite towards others as she has been taught. Following the rules of her class almost ideally as she was taught in her boarding school.

Background: Bellinda was born to a noble family. Her father was a successful politician and her mother a true lady who had given him the privilege of two daughters aside from Bellinda. Being the youngest she was the spoiled child of the family, given whatever she wants whenever she wants and was overly protected from the harms of society it was normal for the girl to submit to the rules.

She was sent to a boarding school where she had the rest of her education, when she returned home at the age of 18 she already had developed a sense of self esteem and her spirit started to spread its wings in secret. She had a curious nature and wanted to reach beyond the limits of her class which wasn't approved by her family. As a result she acted that she has returned to following the rules and secretly searched for ways to fulfill her curiosity. Her family wanted her to be doing something useful to get her mind astray from her "wild thoughts" as they called it.

She had taken into painting and writing, keeping a secret diary where she writes fictional adventures of herself discovering what she always wanted to do, and painting photos to ease her stress. Her talent was soon known among the ranks of her class and her family has rested assured that their daughter is back on track to what they consider the suitable and righteous way of their family and class. Bel continued to behave as she was requested publicly and secretly seeking to fulfill her soul's desire to know more and be more free from society's regulations and manners.

It was a fateful day, or night, that her mother walked past her door and heard the muffled squeals of her daughter, opening the door she finds Bellinda in her bed with a man ... and not any man, it was their old gardner. Horrified at what she found the poor woman screams and faints, the gardener tries to escape but is caught by the father who shoots him with his gun. He's unable to kill his daughter though, the daughter who shamelessly stood defiant in front of the whole family to claim her freedom. The only solution was to send her to her aunt who lives in New York under the care of the family's best friend who was given a different reason to the girl's journey.

So There was Bel, scheduled to sail on board the RMS Mystic on her way to marriage as the family announced, and to her freedom as she had planned.

Bellinda's a great character, Miva. Approved!

Ebb

Hi Ryven,

I think that as Clifford spirals down into iniquity it's entirely possible that he would be open to homosexual encounters. But (A) it would be more of a visit than a permanent destination, and (B) it probably wouldn't happen until two or three days into the trip, so could be weeks or months realtime. In other words, I would agree that looking for a more full-time prospect would be a good idea. I do like the idea of your character a lot.

Zillah

Quote from: bubby on March 05, 2013, 02:48:21 AM
*Yays at being approved*

*Eyes all the delicious mens in the thread*

Zillah, question. Who would Velvet ask about possibly putting on a performance? I know you have the Captain as a NPC, but will he be available enough to ask?

Velvet wouldn't directly ask the Captain about such things - for that matter, he probably wouldn't be available to many of the passengers, unless he runs into them at a formal event on the ship.

Velvet would instead be directed to the Purser aboard the Mystic - the Purser was in charge of what was called the Victualling Department, which was comprised of all the maids, stewards, cooks, entertainers, and all crew members not directly involved in the running of the ship.

Should no one create a character that takes on the Purser's role, I'll make sure to have one available as a NPC.

CarnivorousBunny

Awesome, thanks!  I feel very humbled by the deep character back stories and interesting characters we have on board!
But I feel that Holly has the kind of personality that can make up for the lack of a lush back story  ::)

Can't wait to play with you all!
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Ryven

Quote from: Ebb on March 05, 2013, 09:25:43 AM
Hi Ryven,

I think that as Clifford spirals down into iniquity it's entirely possible that he would be open to homosexual encounters. But (A) it would be more of a visit than a permanent destination, and (B) it probably wouldn't happen until two or three days into the trip, so could be weeks or months realtime. In other words, I would agree that looking for a more full-time prospect would be a good idea. I do like the idea of your character a lot.

That would be an interesting twist, and my character wouldn't be against it.  The arrangement I plan for he and his partner to have is that it is a relationship of convenience, so he's not opposed to stepping out, as it were.

Ryven

Name: Chase Dunham (right)
Sexual Preferences: Gay, switch
Personality: Toward women, he is the utmost gentleman.  Cordial, chivalrous, proper, polite, and gentle.  Toward men, he is domineering, competitive, sometimes cocky and entitled.

Background: Chase's family began in the middle class.  His father was a well-to-do banker making enough money to provide his family a comfortable living.  On a bargain, he bought a large plot of land where he invested his money tapping for oil.  Luckily, it paid off, and the Dunham's were launched into the high life of society.  Chase joined his father only a few years after completing his studies at his university in economics.  His father, Charles, continues to oversee the main operations of the oil fields while Chase has taken it upon himself to handle the financial aspect of the company.

He had found a company based in England who manufactures parts needed for the company which is why he traveled overseas.  Chase negotiated the sale of these parts while enjoying the sights.  During his stay, he met an Englishman who captured his fancy.  The man was of modest means and looking for a way to get to America.  Chase was his ticket and the price was one to be paid in private.

I think my background may be a little short, but this is what I could come up with in short notice.  I'll come up with more ideas and see if I can find someone to play his partner.

xPeachyPuff

Ryven!

If you get stuck for finding someone to play your character's partner, I wouldn't mind taking him up as well as my female character, if you wouldn't mind. If you're alright and would like me to, shoot me a PM and we can brainstorm a little (: If not, no worries, I hope you find someone because I love your concept (:

-xSRx