Interest Check: Mech Arena Combat RP - ONE VACANCY LEFT

Started by Vergil Tanner, March 03, 2015, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Serperior

True, very much true!  Anywho, I think I've found the mech that fits what what I am looking for and the design you were talking about:  Six legs for increased stability when firing weapons (plus it could lose a couple of legs and continue on as if nothing happened!), heavy armor, distinct legs and torso that can rotate 360 degrees, and looks more like something someone could pilot solo.

Once this is settled, I think I can begin work on on a punk-ish, ex-mercenary gal who decided to enter the world of hard steel and extreme destruction in the arena!   ;D

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Vergil Tanner

That looks good! Though I would say maybe consider starting with four legs, and expand to six later on in the RP. After all...leg mechanisms are expensive and require a lot of maintenance, haha! :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

King Serperior

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on March 09, 2015, 12:01:29 PM
That looks good! Though I would say maybe consider starting with four legs, and expand to six later on in the RP. After all...leg mechanisms are expensive and require a lot of maintenance, haha! :P
Well, I could go for that and use the image above with a note that the two middle legs are not yet added.   Also, with such a design, a four-legged mech, should one leg be blown off, could rotate one leg into a tripod-style and continue on.  Though, you did say in the opening post that:
Mech repairs between rounds are free.
so maintenance would be at a minimal as I would assume that all damages, however minute, are fixed up.  :P

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Vergil Tanner

Sounds good!

And haha, I mean to buy in the first place :P Six legs are more expensive to attach than four. :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

King Serperior

Player Name:  King Serperior
Character Name:  Angela 'Angel' Blair
Sex:  Female
Planet or colony of origin:  Born on one of the small colonies on the Earth's moon
Appearance:  Image =>;  Standing at about 5'5" and weighing about 125lbs, Angel is rather striking, especially with her pixie-like looks.  She's very attractive and wears clothes that promote her looks, as shown in the picture to the left.  Really, she is not someone who looks like the type of person who pilots a mech, but rather a model for a movie.  It's part of her charm, really.
Brief History and Motivations:  Angela was born on one of the small colonies on Earth's moon and was raised by her grandparents, her parents owning a few decently-sized factories that build and repair mechs.  She was born on the moon because her parents didn't want her to live on Mars which was no place for a child to grow up on.  So, the first ten years of her life was spent going to one of the better schools on the moon and growing up.  By the time she was thirteen, she learned how to drive a small loader mech, the very one that that her grandfather drove to load and unload shipping containers at the colony's main port.  When she was sixteen, she caught the attention of someone who worked on one of the Mars mech combat circuit.  It turned out that the guy had never seen someone so young pilot a machine like that with such ease and thought she had potential.  By the time she was eighteen, she was piloting a Scout mech and winning one-vs-one battles with little effort.  By the time she was twenty, she'd upgraded to an Assault mech and was working on two-man teams.  By the time she was twenty-one, she'd won one of Mars' larger tournaments and that supplied her enough money, along with the selling of her winning Assault mech, to buy a Heavy mech.  Her parents, having followed her progress, helped her upgrade and work on her newest mech which was based on an 'Omni-Shell' system, one of the most adaptable of the Heavy Mech shells.  Her parents were thrilled to learn that she was planning on Piloting a Heavy Mech as their factories built the frames and weapons for that Class.

Overall, Angel is a part of the mech combat scene because nothing thrills her more than piloting a deadly piece of machinery and crushing her foes under the weight of Ragnarok's unrelenting force.  Plus, this gives her a chance to show her parents the fruits of the factories they run as well as get a nice pocket of money.  Not to mention that every time she entered a battle with Ragnarok, she was representing her parents' Heavy Mech Factories.

~ * * * ~

Mech Class:  Heavy
Mech Name:  Ragnarok
Description:  Ragnarok is a large, somewhat squat, Quadrupedal mech with thick armor plating covering most of the mech's body.  Due to it's increased weight and the way it's legs are designed, it is not very fast or agile.  It's thick legs instead provide stability when firing it's weapons, no matter the terrain.  Each leg has a 'traction spikes' on the bottom of each 'foot' that allow it to stand it's ground while the pilot aims and fires it's weaponry.  Ragnarok has the Blair Factory Logo printed on it to represent it's pilot's family's factories.  Other than that, it can easily be painted multiple coloration, but it is usually a rusty brown, giving it the illusion of it being little more than a giant rust bucket.  The main gun is the largest and most central of the armaments and is the most powerful ranged weapon the Ragnarok has (Though a full barrage of missiles outdoes it).  The Minigun is more for closer work and the missile pod is for pinning down targets until Ragnarok can bring it's other weapons to bear.  Angela hopes to eventually win enough prize money to add two more legs to the Ragnarok as the extra armor plating would help keep flanking attacks to a minimal and the extra stability would help it fire more accurately.  As of the moment, the Ragnarok, should it lose a leg, can detach a damaged leg and engage into a tripod configuration.  While much less stable and slower, it keeps the mech moving in battle rather than be a sitting duck.
Weapons:
Rail Gun:  Central weapon and main gun, the Rail Gun fires a long piece of hardened Tungsten that is designed to penetrate even through cover.  It can only fire one shot before requiring reloading and requires a three second charge time before firing.  However, once fired, the seven pound projectile travels at speeds that exceed Mach 5, making a direct hit devastating.  It takes 10 seconds to load up a new projectile.  The Rail Gun has a total of 50 projectiles, more than twice the number she would ever need, theoretically anyway.  Most Rail Guns only take in 10 due to the weight each projectile is, but that increased weight isn't a problem for Ragnarok.
Minigun:  Mounted just above and to the right of the main gun, the Minigun is designed for closer work than the Rail Gun and can help pin down a target while the main gun charges and takes aim.  The minigun fires depleted uranium rounds that can tear apart smaller mechs.  Fully loaded, the minigun has a total of 360,000 rounds of ammo and the gun fires at a rate of 12,000 rounds per minute.  It takes about a second for the barrel to spin up before it fires.
14-Missile Pod:  Featuring 14 explosive high-yield missiles, this pod is mounted on the just above, behind, and to the left of the main gun in a half-hexagonal, half-cube launcher whose safety covering can flick open to rain either direct or suppressing fire on the targets.  Each missile carries a high-yield payload and travels at 350 mph towards its target.  Each missile can be fired either individually or at the same time as any number of others, providing either precise attacks or an overwhelming assault.  The pod has three full pods of replacements, totaling 42 missiles overall, though the missile pod must be emptied before the replacement set can be loaded (which takes up to thirty seconds).  The Missile Pod is set on a rotating turret and, as such, is currently only weapon that can be fired backwards on Ragnarok.  It is mainly used to pin down a target, get them out of cover, or for pure offensive purposes.

Subsystems:
Ammo Delivery System:  Halves the time it takes to reload ammo.  Extremely important for the Rail Gun's lower reload rate.
Target Lock:  Makes the Rail Gun and Missile System much more accurate and deadly.
Fortress Armour:  The mech doesn't need speed, rather it needs heavy armor to survive in the arena while picking off targets.  Instead of maneuverability, it uses it's armored legs as a stabilizing platform to steady each and every shot, no matter the terrain.

~ * * * ~

Shots Fired!
Angela was focused as she moved Ragnarok into position in the desert-based arena.  The artificial sandstorm was messing with her sensors somewhat, but that also meant that her opponent's sensors were even worse off.  About fifteen minutes ago, she managed to take down the Scout mech with the sniper rifle that crippled the arm of her current teammate as well as rendering his mech's Battle Rifle little more than a bludgeoning tool.  The dumbass already wasted all of the missiles on his missile pod, none of them doing anything but blowing up dust.  Seriously, the guy was a handicap to her and if they lost, she'd strangle the idiot herself!  However, she had to focus.  The last target was an Assault mech with Bazooka and it had fired at her, somehow missing her mech as well as revealing his position.  Angela had fired a single missile at that location and the sound of multiple explosions meant that she must have hit at least one ammo case for the heavy weapon.  However, it was a Command mech and she knew it kept an ammo cache.  Since her partner was stuck with just a Heavy Pistol, she'd sent him out to figure out where it was.  Angela was down by about 30-40,000 rounds on her minigun and a reload would be appreciated.  She checked her data which revealed that she only had six missiles remaining, which would be more than enough to pin down the rough foe long enough to fire a finishing blow with her rail gun. 

Suddenly, she heard her teammate yell out that he found the target and moments later, she heard the reports of the pistol shots.  What a moron!  Couldn't he have waited until she was closer!  Still, they weren't too far.  In a couple of minutes, she'd moved to a position where she could take aim.  From where she was, she could see that the command mech also had a mobile turret alongside it.  Angela smiled as she locked on all of her missiles, activating the Rail Gun and running up a charge.  She thumbed the trigger and fired her last missiles, timing them so that they would cut off any escape routes, pinning the target, and taking out the turret all at once.  Just as the last missile exploded, the Rail Gun became fully charged and fired, the impact of the projectile nearly severing the lower half of the enemy from the upper half.  Victory.

As the artificial sandstorm faded, Angela sighed in relief.  This was easily the longest battle she was ever in, the total time from start to finish was nearly 45 minutes.  It was a wonder that she managed to win with a stupid partner who didn't know how to hold his fire.  She knew that this victory was his first 'win' in almost three months.  Still, it was satisfying and she had to hand it two her opponents.  They worked extremely well together, much better than she and her teammate did.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Vergil Tanner

Ok, looks good! :D There are a couple of tiny nitpicks I have, but for the moment, that's good enough to be getting on with :-) All we need now is one or two more people in order to make two teams, then I'll whip up a bio, then we'll be able to get this party started! :D

King Serperior

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on March 09, 2015, 02:20:30 PM
Ok, looks good! :D There are a couple of tiny nitpicks I have, but for the moment, that's good enough to be getting on with :-) All we need now is one or two more people in order to make two teams, then I'll whip up a bio, then we'll be able to get this party started! :D
Great!  I was worried that the mini-descriptions of the weaponry wasn't what you envisioned.  Glad you liked it.   ;D  Though, the mentioning of nitpicks made me realize that I forgot to change the old nickname of 'DJ' to 'Angel' since I changed her name about halfway through profile creation.  >.>;

Anywho, I do hope that the Ragnarok lives up to it's name on the battlefield.   XD

EDIT:  Okay, fixed the minor issue of forgetting to change the old nickname to the newer one.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Vergil Tanner

Haha, well, the description of the weapons was unexpected and I might have a few niggles with them, but for now they're ok. :P

King Serperior

Well, after a couple of others join in, I'll happily see what I can do about the weapon descriptions that you have a slight issue or two with.  I just went with what research on them that I could to make them seem more accurate.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Vergil Tanner

Haha, don't worry, I understand :D I just hope we get some more people. >.<

CrazyIvan

I am interested! I am making a character and should have her up by tomorrow sometime!

SargentToughie

Same! ^^

It's really late right now, so I'll get a character skeleton and a mech up some time in the next few days.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Vergil Tanner

No worries, guys :-) Let me know if you have any questions :D

King Serperior

Quote from: Jarred109 on March 04, 2015, 01:05:53 PM
2) Is that... is that tape holding that gyro up? And where do half there wires even go to?!
Silver Lady III is exclusively worked on by Ivan, because if anyone else would go mad attempting to understand it's design and inner workings. Ivan certainly doesn't mind, and is actually very protective of his 'Number one girl'. She was the third mech he finished building on Mercury many years ago, with Ivy  having made multiple improvements and replaced many of the older parts as he made it to the 'Big Leagues'
Mech Name:  Silver Lady III

Mech Class: Scout

Mech Armaments: Heavy Pistol, Grenade Launcher. Jump Jets, Advanced Sensors, and Marker.

Mech Appearance: Silver Lady's humble origins still show through in her design, with parts of the bent and mismatched colorful parts that originally made her up still showing up occasionally on her frame. Still, a lot of her is still new.. or at least newer compared to some parts. Silver is a bit of a stretch though, she's gun metal grey for the most part with the occasional exception from an often brightly colored spare part. A humanoid shaped mech almost thin and feminine in shape. Two arms end differently, a clawed hand useful for catching walls when climbing and a more dexterous hand for manipulating and using weapons. It carries few weapon systems: On its 'hip' is attached its large pistol, more then able to put rounds through all but the heaviest armors. On it's lower back it carries the seemingly scout inappropriate grenade launcher, army green in color and clearly originally carried by another mech. Large jet boosters, mismatched of course, extend from her back almost like angel wings.
Well, while I was looking around for other mech ideas, I came across this mech that looks somewhat like how you described the Silver Lady III.  Sure, there are some differences (The large Jump Jets and Wings), but it's an visual image idea.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

CrazyIvan

Player Name: CrazyIvan
Character Name: Eva "Wolf" Woo
Previous Names: Gwen Hughes, birth name; Liz, Jess, Rachel, and many other, while she was working on the station; W-00AV3, designation on Elysium; Jay or songbird, while working with the PLM; and Raven while working with aligned governments.
The Story Behind the Names: "You know" she paused taking a bite out of the greasy chicken wing she held in her hand, the hot sauce from which was now glazed onto her fingers. Making it hard to tell where the chicken finger ended and her fingers began. "I don't always used to be called Eva, in fact my first name was Gwen, Gwen Hughes, I think it was?" She seemed to leave it as a question, letting the other who sat across from her on the bed to decide if this was true or another half made up lie that she was constructing for his amusement.

"After that I was called Jess, or Liz, or one of many names, they kept changing our names for us, made us seem new and interesting for the clients, at least that is what they told us. Our game" she always referred to it as a game, whether to hide the pain or if that was how she truly viewed it at the time "was to make them happy, well still protecting something. Show, but don't tell; let them imagine, but not touch; and that sought of thing."

"Eventually though that life came to an end and I was taken in by a nice group, they might not have been the nicest of people to all, but they were good to me. They called me Jay, something about being their little song bird that brought a joy to the group. Another group called me Raven, something about me must have seemed bird like to them." By this time she had finished off the wings and started to work over the remaining sauce on her fingers, the person across from her lay entranced at the sight of this and her, hooked on her story and the way she moved and acted. "And now I am known as Eva, a name I chose for myself, don't ask me why, as you already ask too many questions, I just like it!"

Sex: Female
Planet or colony of origin: An orbital colony around Saturn, birth place of Eva Woo
True Birth Place: She was born on one of the solar system space stations, in the outer rims of the solar system, that knew of Elysiums and had a partnership with it. The installation was a large one, specializing in meeting select needs and manufacturing that is easier to do in space between certain import hubs. There exists a large disparity between the haves and have nots, with the poor often on the fringes of the station, living, forging, and working where ever they can. The work is often dangerous as they are view as expendable; they work as vent works, cleaning and maintaining older machines, and general jobs that keep them out of sight and out of mind.

The other bulk of the people living on the ship are middle class, they live closer to the station center where the factories and hub of the facility is. They are functionally like working class citizens now and much like how people walked past and ignored beggars and that sort in the 21st century they do the same now. A few are kind enough to try and help, but the police are quick to discourage this, as they want the class system maintained.
A Home Forgotten "My birth place?" assuming a quizzical look "why would you want to know about that? It's not that interesting and a rather boring place, not to mention in the past, you sure you want to hear?" she asked sitting up further on the bed as the other nodded quickly in agreement.

"Okay, but if you fall asleep while I am telling it don't blame me, I did warn you. I was born on one of the many orbital stations around Saturn and lived an absolutely boring life, the end, can we eat now?" The man that laid across from her seemed displeased with the answer, donning a frown, as he gave off a fake "ha ha, you know what I meant, tell me about the place you really grew up, where you really were born."

"Aw, honey, why do you want to know so much about the past? It is done and gone, why not live in the present; it is so much nicer then the past you seem so fixated on." But her words didn't seem to have an effect on his demeanor, he wanted to know and so with a small sigh she related or at least seemed to. "Fine, but after this I get to eat all the pizza I want, got it!"

"I was born on some station on the far reaches of the solar system, away from the rest of humanity. I don't even know what it was called, and I couldn't read back than so I couldn't tell you its name even if I did. All I remember is a large signs everywhere with a Taoist symbol and pickaxes on it, but that changed a total of 3 times while I lived there. The station had a high turnover rate of which company owned and was in charge of it at any one time. I doubt you could even find the thing on a system map if you tried, they did a good job of keeping it hidden."

"My family and I lived in the back workings, mechanical rooms, and vent of the station, in the guts of it. This was where many of poor, lost, or unwanted came to live, separated from the rest of the population. My whole world growing up with this small tight knit group, like a village in the machine, there were a few of these, or so I was told and didn't realize how many hundreds of thousands of people lived on the station till I was taken away from my home. Well..." she paused her thinking back on the actual events "till I was sold would be more accurate." The idea of a person being sold seemed to offend the other person, much more than it bothered Eva "your parents sold you? How could they do that to their own child!"

"Oh, Devin, you always see the world as so black and white, you’re so quick to judge. They didn't have a choice, and they truly thought they were giving me a better life, and they had to provide for their other children as well. But that is where I was born and grew up living and playing among the pipes and machines of the stations, hearing them hum and purr with working precision. It was only later that I would be taken to Elysium" she knew the other name of the place, but never referred to it as such. Though she also never really talked much about it in great detail, always skimming past it or telling small vignettes about it.

Appearance: Eva is tall, compared to most women and some men, standing at 5'-11" though it might be closer to 6'-0" hard to say sometimes. She weighs about 150lbs~160lbs, despite her lithe appearance as most of it is muscle hidden behind her more cold and graceful side. She as a few tattoos/modifications present on her, though only the ones on her face are clearly visible at all times. She gives off a cold stare/presence naturally and seems distant most of the time, and it shows in the way she carries herself and walks. When not in her suit, she often wears large clothes, reveal almost nothing of her figure and her skin, baggy jackets, jeans, just anything that is not revealing or frilly.

Old Images: [Redacted] Below you can see what she used to look like during her service as an active terrorist cell member of the People's Liberation Movement (PLM) and during her time working for the government under the code name Raven.
What she looked like while she fought

Brief History: She grew up the only daughter of a small family that lived on the orbital colonies around Saturn. Her parents were hard workers, they did what they could for her, but were taken away from her at a young age. She grew up going from foster home to foster home, till finally she was adopted by a set of upper middle class people who took her off Saturn and moved her to Mars, where they worked and ran a small mecha construction firm. Though she got along with her new family well enough she always felt left out and never really fit in. She eventually left and ran away from home and took to living on the streets in her mid to late teens. She eventually got involved with a crowd that introduced her to the carnage and joy of mecha fighting and joined up with them. In her early twenties she left Mars and got involved in independent and illegal mecha fighting. Eventually she was caught and given and after paying a hefty fine she joined up with an official team as part of her probation. That is how she got here, or rather all she will say/the record shows. If you probe too deep you are more likely to wake up with a sore nose and blood on your face than an in-depth tale of what really happened.

Her History: Age 0 - 5: Eva, born Gwen Hughes, to a poor family on board the Wen Co Manufacturing station, as it was called at the time. The entire station, which housed more than a few hundred thousand people on record, was owned and operated by the company. The typical propaganda associated with the station was that it was placed on the outer rim of the solar system as a way of keeping them safe, out of the way, and the easiest way to get the parts they needed. Although the last was true, it was mainly to keep the larger governments out of their hair.

She had a total of five siblings, at the time of being sold off, three of which were older than her, two older brothers and an older sister, and two younger siblings, a brother and a sister. She lived in one of the small make shift housing/villages that made up the back sections of the station and hidden reaches that were need the heart of the machines that ran and powered them. For this reason many of them were employed with cleaning, or doing dangerous work, that was too dangerous for "normal" people and where robots getting damaged was more expensive than using people. Though her family fell on hard times and need a way to money fast, which could always be solved by selling off the attractive children, mostly females.

Age 6 - 10: For the next four years she worked as a peddler, selling odd things in main hub of the station. She was given a single used bed in a crowded room, that housed about 10~12 other young people, including her older sister that was sold along with her. The person who bought her gave her food, shelter, and protection, but not much else. Though in some regards it was a better standard of living then she had been living before.

She made enough money doing this and "playing a game" where she was told to trick men into taking her with them and than just at the right moment her dealer would appear, before anything happened, and he would make them feel ashamed and charge them in order for him to remain quiet. It made enough money that she was one of his favorites, but she never wanted to get close to him, as he had a family and she didn't really desire to be apart of it. Eventually though this life came to an end and she, along with the others and her sister, were split up and sold off to other people. The man that had been in charge of her before had found his way out of an airlock without a suit, a tragedy, yet common thing in the seedier sides of things.

Age 11 -13: This marked a darker period in her life, when she was sold and lived on Elysium and given a variety of names, or sometimes just a number. She also underwent a modification process that made her more appealing to those she was expected to entertain. For her entertainment could range from singing, dancing, giving baths, touching, and over a whole host of different things. She mainly managed to skip out on some of the more unsavory things that were requested of others. Her previous background saved her slightly from that, why have a potentially tainted person when you can have a fresh, new unspoiled individual.

Her she was treated as nothing more than an object and taught only a few minor skills, only ones that would allow her to serve her clients better. She was trained to sing, yet she was still unable to read or write; she was trained in how to talk; how to act; and how to dance. She spent two years doing whatever the masters asked of her as the punishment was far worse than the actual action. She made herself think of it as a game, to avoid dwelling on the unpleasantness of it. thankfully this part of her life came to an end and she was given a new chance at life when she turned 14.

Age 14 - 19: When she turned 14 she was being taken on one of the long voyage ships from one of the stations to Elysium, to pleasure and entertain the those who were inbound, this was a punishment of sorts for her acting out, as well as proof of all of her training. During the trip to the station and while there they were hidden away, her and the few other young girls and a few boys, till it was safe. Once they were far enough away they were introduced to their clients and hers was a rather large disgusting globe of a man, that laid his paws all over her. Something inside of her snapped and she can't remember much about what went on once she was taken into his private room. The next thing she does have a memory of is waking up on another ship surrounded by strangers dressed in white. They were doctors and care takers for the People's Liberation Movement, a terrorist group according to some nations and a welcome aid group by others. The received aid and support from certain governments mainly ones closer to the inner workings, though never acknowledged as a way of combating the slavery and issues on the outer ring.

For the next five years she helped them out on their ships and bases, they didn't go in the inner rim often and couldn't just drop her off. They taught her how to read and about the people who had kept her locked away, and what the organizations goals were. She enjoyed her time here, helping them and mainly feeling like she was a part of a family. They did have support and backing from a the shadows, certain governments detested the slave trade and were doing certain illegal things to try and prevent it. Much like how navies hired out pirates in the old days of sea travels a new way was to hire "pirates" or "terrorist" to do the work. They were all citizens and in the eyes of the government were doing the right thing, even if legally they denounced them. She spent most of her time fixing the mechs, only fighting when she had to, but they did train her.

Age 20 - 24: When she was about 24 they have finished their tour of duty and she was brought into the main offices and into the inner systems. Here she was given a "Choice" either serve as an agent under the government for four years, at which point they would award her an ID and citizenship, or be turned back out and left to her own. She accepted the deal and already had a nice set of skills that allowed her to do a variety of jobs, under the codename Raven. She was trained in how to entertain, dance, sing, distract, fight, and even pilot and all from a young age. They did offer her some more education, after all she would have to know about the missions and the targets.

She worked for the aligned governments for a four years and was awarded a fake ID and person hood when she left. They also set her up far away from themselves and others, out of sight and out of mind. Though she didn't have much real job experience and they didn't set her up with a job or money really. They just gave her ID and turned her loose on the solar system.

Age 25 - now: Without having any real experience aside from in pleasure, being an agent, and a Mech pilot he prospects weren't the best. As she didn't want to entertain/pleasure in that way, and so she turned to the one thing she knew best at this point, fighting. She got involved in underground fighting of Mechas rather quickly and was eventually caught. She was given a hefty fine, over jail time, and now has to pay it off while on probation.
Motivations: Money and fame, is all that she seems to want on the outside. She wants to make enough to live comfortable and not have to worry about it like she did while she was younger.
True Intentions:[She seeks to gain enough money, fame, and power to find her sister and the others that were split up. Maybe have enough sway in terms of fame to try and better the lives of those in need so they don't have to take the same path as her. She may want revenge, but if so it is not a direct sort, but against the institutions and machine that keeps them in place and protects them.

Mech Name: Oryx

Mech Class: Assualt

Mech Armaments:

• 4WR Veritech Assualt Rifle: A specialized assault rifle, with a back loading clip and cartridge catcher. No casings are released while firing, they are stored in the back above the loaded ammo; has a scope along the top for more accurate shots; has a replaceable trigger guard to protect the wielders hand; and has the ability to switch from full-auto to semi-auto. The gun's design also allows it to be attached to the back of the mech, so as not required to be held at all times, though if attached it does take a few second to get ready. this was mainly a feature used in transportation, and long marches.
  • 2WR Left Rear Mount Missile Pod 4 Count: Located on the back of the Mech on the left side is a rotating missile pod. I can launch up to four at a time, assuming they reload, slowly turns as it fire, letting the others load up.
  • 2WR Right Rear Mount Missile Pod 4 Count: Located on the back of the Mech on the right side is a rotating missile pod. I can launch up to four at a time, assuming they reload, slowly turns as it fire, letting the others load up.
  • Flares: The back mounting on the machine unleashes a volley of flares that can be used to break lock-ons with the machine.
  • Nanobots: Designed to heal the light wounds and scraps that a mech might go through
  • Target Lock: Can lock on and track targets with missiles and with the gun scope.

Mech Appearance: Look to the left it mainly looks like that!

I also have backstory/writing samples built in to the character sheet is that okay? I find oral history from a character's perspective gives it more depth and reality to it, as well as a personality.

Vergil Tanner

Okey dokey! That certainly is a rather different character to who we have at the moment, but as always, I do have a few niggles. So, let's get started!

"It also functions as slave hub buying, selling, and mating them"
- Then it can't be orbiting Saturn, since that's a fairly high profile area and slavery is outlawed. I have no issue with slavery being a thing, since there will always be a black market for human cargo, but it orbiting Saturn and being known to "certain governments" creeps a little too close to slavery being deemed acceptable. I think it would work better if it was hidden in an asteroid field out of the way somewhere, because I can almost guarantee that if it orbited Saturn, it would be discovered by the authorities almost immediately.

"It is the worst place you can imagine full of hatred, death, despair, and lust that you can't escape from."
- I get that you're going for a whole "Vat-grown-bitter" character, and that's cool - so long as you don't go too overboard with the wangst - but I would remove that line. It seems too much like you're telling everybody else "this is the worst place imaginable and you can't possibly make it any worse, my character has had the shittiest life ever." Just let the atrocities speak for themselves. :P

"With the government crack down on the movement she was forced to leave, they didn't want to see her tried for something that they believed she had a right to do, exact revenge on the world that wronged her."
- Are you talking about the government letting her go? Because...that wouldn't happen. A terrorist is still a terrorist, no matter how understandable their anger is, and they would punish that terrorist regardless. Or are you talking about her Cell telling her to escape? It's unclear, but if you are talking about the government...if it's as corrupt as you suggest earlier in the bio, they wouldn't let her get away without punishment of some sort.

"She was eventually caught and arrested and given the choice of which one she wanted."
- I'm assuming this is referring to the whole "join a team or go to prison" thing, which is...I'm sorry, but it makes absolutely no sense. If you're caught participating in illegal dog races, or underground unlicensed cage fighting, you don't get offered the chance to go legit and escape punishment, you just go to prison or get fined depending on your countries laws. If she was caught in illegal mech fighting, she may well be offered a part of a team as a rehabilitation program near her release, but she would go to prison. Or at least face a trial. She did, after all, break the law. But that's a small thing that can be easily changed.

The Mech's weapons:

- I know the first post was really long, but every Mech has a maximum of three weapons. Not five. Also, if you mean that the assault rifle can be attached to the back to stow it, then that's fine; it's what I had in mind anyway. But if you mean it attaches to the arm then I'm afraid I have to veto that. This is supposed to be close to basic equipment gameplay-wise to make sure everybody has an equal starting point.

- I would say just stick to the proscribed list for now. I gave it for a reason, and whilst more unique, custom gear will be available later on in the RP, for now it's just basics. Stick to the equipment given, please. Fir example, the flares; most Mechs would have an inbuilt filter to stop their pilots being blinded by the sun, for example. So flares would only be used to break lock on or obscure their movements.

I like the attempt to add a bit of style to it, don't get me wrong, and I like the enthusiasm...but for now, just try to stick to the list of equipment provided. Thanks :-)

King Serperior

I've been thinking and, if we manage to get enough people for two teams and no one else is planning on using a Command mech, I may upgrade my character's mech to Command.  It's just a thought and I'm good either way as I have two ideas for the extra two subsystems if I do upgrade:
1).  Psudo-Siege Mode:  Adding the Localized Shield Generator and Ammo Cache would allow for the Ragnarok to hunker down in a location and continuously fire it's weapons at anything that happens to stick it's head out of the cover.  Combined with the Fortress Armor it already has and it'll be a very tough nut to crack.  Plus, if the situation gets too hot, unlike the actual Siege Mode, the Ragnarok can actually move to cover and retreat instead of waiting until it disengages Siege Mode and having to re-enter it again later.
2).  Hunter-Killer Mode:  Going with Advanced Radar and Advanced Nanobots allow it to become a dangerous tank that is able to follow over any terrain, absorbing hits and dishing out massive damage.

That said, this is just a little thought and depends on who else chooses Command, if anyone, as I know you said that you'd be piloting a Command Mech yourself, Virgil.   :-)  It really doesn't matter to me if I play a Command or not.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Vergil Tanner

Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, Serp. :-) For now, I'm closing off further applications for Assault; we need a Scout Mech, and preferably a second Scout and second Heavy to balance it out somewhat. You're right in that I will be using a Command Mech, and I'm reckoning that I'll take the last Assault slot, for now. But, I'll wait to see what else we get before whipping up a bio. :-)

Although, remember that Fortress Armour means that your mech moves at almost a crawl...and that despite having enhanced armour, there are weak points that can crack it easily. The joints to the legs, for example, or the back of the torso where the power source is placed.

I am thinking of implementing a rudimentary hit-roll thing. Basically, every weapon would have a percentage to hit at certain distances, and you would roll a dice. If you got that number or under, you'd hit. If not, you miss. That way, it stops people from accidentally making it so that their mechs never got hit at all. Also makes who wins the rounds a bit more random, rather than having me have to decide who wins every time. Haha.

King Serperior

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on March 11, 2015, 08:08:09 AM
Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, Serp. :-) For now, I'm closing off further applications for Assault; we need a Scout Mech, and preferably a second Scout and second Heavy to balance it out somewhat. You're right in that I will be using a Command Mech, and I'm reckoning that I'll take the last Assault slot, for now. But, I'll wait to see what else we get before whipping up a bio. :-)
Agreed.  The option is there if it's ever needed.
Although, remember that Fortress Armour means that your mech moves at almost a crawl...and that despite having enhanced armour, there are weak points that can crack it easily. The joints to the legs, for example, or the back of the torso where the power source is placed.
Well, a crawl is better than being totally immobile.  :P  As for the weak points, I figured about the leg joints, which would be a problem for all of the mechs, but I didn't know about all the power sources being placed on the back.  That seems like a fatal weakness for all types.  I would have thought their power sources would be set in a less vulnerable point than the back, such as internally.
I am thinking of implementing a rudimentary hit-roll thing. Basically, every weapon would have a percentage to hit at certain distances, and you would roll a dice. If you got that number or under, you'd hit. If not, you miss. That way, it stops people from accidentally making it so that their mechs never got hit at all. Also makes who wins the rounds a bit more random, rather than having me have to decide who wins every time. Haha.
While that sounds like a good idea, it also sounds slightly complicated as well.  In my case, I know that nearly all attacks will land on the Ragnarok unless they aim badly (Grenade Launcher for example).  I guess that could be an option if people start making their mechs 'dodge all attacks.'

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Vergil Tanner

Well, the power source would need to be somewhere, and the rear of the mech makes more sense since you would like to think that the back is the part of the mech that will be taking less fire, y'know? I mean, most tactical retreats don't have you turning around and running away. :P Besides, the back armour is not as sturdy as the front armour, which makes flanking in combat far more important. For example, Ragnarok could hold a long stretch of rocky canyon easily if he parked at the end of it, so while - for example - an Assault Mech would be drawing her fire, they'd be attempting to send smaller, faster mechs to flank her and take her out from the flanks. After all, having an impenetrable defence isn't entertaining TV....it's the Superman Problem. No danger = no suspense. :P Long story short, it would likely be in the back because, ideally, that's the part that wouldn't be getting hit as much.

Yes, it's a little complicated, but it would be a simple matter of writing down the percentages next to the weapons and comparing your rolls to the numbers. It might take you a couple of minutes, but it's nowhere near Warhammer or D&D levels of complexity. :P

King Serperior

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on March 11, 2015, 08:33:14 AM
Well, the power source would need to be somewhere, and the rear of the mech makes more sense since you would like to think that the back is the part of the mech that will be taking less fire, y'know? I mean, most tactical retreats don't have you turning around and running away. :P Besides, the back armour is not as sturdy as the front armour, which makes flanking in combat far more important. For example, Ragnarok could hold a long stretch of rocky canyon easily if he parked at the end of it, so while - for example - an Assault Mech would be drawing her fire, they'd be attempting to send smaller, faster mechs to flank her and take her out from the flanks. After all, having an impenetrable defence isn't entertaining TV....it's the Superman Problem. No danger = no suspense. :P Long story short, it would likely be in the back because, ideally, that's the part that wouldn't be getting hit as much.
Ah, yes, that makes more sense.  Though, I would say that the power source is covered by some kind of layered armor that can be slowly shot off to reveal the source, which can be then disabled.  I'd say that there are more layers than others, depending on the mech's class, and some weapons are more effective at taking off the layers than others (I.E. rapid fire weapons are better than single shots).
Yes, it's a little complicated, but it would be a simple matter of writing down the percentages next to the weapons and comparing your rolls to the numbers. It might take you a couple of minutes, but it's nowhere near Warhammer or D&D levels of complexity. :P
Well, you're the GM, so the end choice is yours, but I wonder how the you'd set things up for the different factors (Jump Jets, environmental issues (like dust and smoke), damages, etc) as a flat system would work best in a 'perfect' combat scenario.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Vergil Tanner

Well, more than one shot doesn't necessarily make it more likely to get at the power source; a sniper round is more likely to penetrate the armour than shoot it off, after all, and a rocket to the back is likely to just shred it entirely. On the other hand, no matter how many times you shoot, you are NEVER gonna penetrate a tanks hull with a Desert Eagle. Different weapons, different effects. I'm not gonna start going "Well this class has THIS type of protection for its power source, and THIS one has this one..." it's more of a "Scout mechs have light armour. Heavy mechs have heavy armour. You're adults, figure it out." :P I mean, obviously the power source isn't gonna be exposed, but saying what specific type of armour covers it is a tad excessive. Also, layered armour isn't as effective as you would think; most modern armoured vehicles have very few layers, instead having the armour angled so as to deflect the worst of the impact. I mean, an armour-penetrating round isn't gonna do much if it hits at an angle and skims off the side because it didn't get a direct hit, after all. And no type of armour is gonna help if it takes several high-yield rockets dead on. :P

I'll figure it out, somehow. It might just end up being that certain things decrease accuracy. So....say if somebody has a 50% chance to hit, and they roll a 49, the person being fired at could respond by using a smoke dispenser which decreases accuracy by 5. That would take the hit chance down to 45, which would make the shot miss instead. That way, you get a chance to respond with any defences you might have, but no system is powerful enough that it guarantees a miss being turned into a hit or vice versa. Similarly, certain weapons might have terrain advantages (EG, a sniper rifle is more effective on high ground). It would get a leeeeeeetle complex, but nothing unmanageable.

CrazyIvan

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on March 11, 2015, 04:11:49 AM
"It also functions as slave hub buying, selling, and mating them"
- Then it can't be orbiting Saturn, since that's a fairly high profile area and slavery is outlawed. I have no issue with slavery being a thing, since there will always be a black market for human cargo, but it orbiting Saturn and being known to "certain governments" creeps a little too close to slavery being deemed acceptable. I think it would work better if it was hidden in an asteroid field out of the way somewhere, because I can almost guarantee that if it orbited Saturn, it would be discovered by the authorities almost immediately.

Changed where she was born and how she got to Elysium. The born on Saturn thing is part of a fake identity that was given to her, Elysium is in the outer reaches of the solar system, not of Saturn's outer asteroid belt.

"It is the worst place you can imagine full of hatred, death, despair, and lust that you can't escape from."
- I get that you're going for a whole "Vat-grown-bitter" character, and that's cool - so long as you don't go too overboard with the wangst - but I would remove that line. It seems too much like you're telling everybody else "this is the worst place imaginable and you can't possibly make it any worse, my character has had the shittiest life ever." Just let the atrocities speak for themselves. :P

Changed this and reworked her entire character and what I actually wanted when I boiled it all down, after reading your criticism

"With the government crack down on the movement she was forced to leave, they didn't want to see her tried for something that they believed she had a right to do, exact revenge on the world that wronged her."
- Are you talking about the government letting her go? Because...that wouldn't happen. A terrorist is still a terrorist, no matter how understandable their anger is, and they would punish that terrorist regardless. Or are you talking about her Cell telling her to escape? It's unclear, but if you are talking about the government...if it's as corrupt as you suggest earlier in the bio, they wouldn't let her get away without punishment of some sort.

Changed this to a sympathetic government picked her up. With so many nations and governments out there I would imagine some would have a shadow war going on and that this sort of thing could happen, as it happens now. That due to her background and the "favor" she did for that many years it wouldn't be hard to imagine them giving her a fake ID and sending her away, out of sight and mind.

"She was eventually caught and arrested and given the choice of which one she wanted."
- I'm assuming this is referring to the whole "join a team or go to prison" thing, which is...I'm sorry, but it makes absolutely no sense. If you're caught participating in illegal dog races, or underground unlicensed cage fighting, you don't get offered the chance to go legit and escape punishment, you just go to prison or get fined depending on your countries laws. If she was caught in illegal mech fighting, she may well be offered a part of a team as a rehabilitation program near her release, but she would go to prison. Or at least face a trial. She did, after all, break the law. But that's a small thing that can be easily changed.

I now have her caught and paying a heft fine, one she has to pay off by doing the fights!

- I know the first post was really long, but every Mech has a maximum of three weapons. Not five. Also, if you mean that the assault rifle can be attached to the back to stow it, then that's fine; it's what I had in mind anyway. But if you mean it attaches to the arm then I'm afraid I have to veto that. This is supposed to be close to basic equipment gameplay-wise to make sure everybody has an equal starting point.

I totally missed over that part, sorry and I fixed it all up! Still not a 100% set on the weapons, but getting close I just can't decide.

- I would say just stick to the proscribed list for now. I gave it for a reason, and whilst more unique, custom gear will be available later on in the RP, for now it's just basics. Stick to the equipment given, please. Fir example, the flares; most Mechs would have an inbuilt filter to stop their pilots being blinded by the sun, for example. So flares would only be used to break lock on or obscure their movements.

Fixed!

Also for command roles I could see Eva possibly in one, now that she is redone and more like I want her to be.

Vergil Tanner

Okey dokey. After reading your edits, I am mostly ok with it. There are still a few doubts I have over certain details, but they can be ironed out at a later stage (and once I've formed them properly in my head; you know the sort of vague uncertainty you get sometimes, but it takes some contemplation before you can put it into words? Yeah, that. Nothing huge, but still), but for now, I don't see any glaring issues. A lot of the things that were bothering me have been cleared up with your reworking of the bio without me having to mention them. :P Some of the niggles are to do with certain events, some are to do with specifics of locals and motivations and whatnot and some of them are just me being slightly pedantic...but I guess being pedantic comes with the territory of being a GM, eh? Anywho. For now, it looks good as a concept bio, but I do feel I have to warn you all; there is another stage after this, and in it, I will be doing my best to shred apart your bios. I won't be nasty about it, it's just the best way that I've found to get everybody gelling together. It gets any issues anybody might have with the characters out of the way, and helps plug any loopholes in the character. Hell, when we get there, I expect you guys to do it to my character. I'm warning you in advance so that you don't think I'm just being mean :P

Anywho! If you want to change her into a Command Mech, you would need to come up with a brief story as to how she got to be the leader of a team - did she get hired and rose through the ranks, or did she create her own team? Or something different? - and to answer your last question, whilst I appreciate the oral histories, I would like to insist on the writing sample, please. The point of the writing sample is not only to get to know the character, but also your writing and RPing style. Oral history samples tell me nothing about how you specifically will write this character within the RP, which is what I am really interested in when it comes to samples. Please and thank you! :D

CrazyIvan

I am curious to know what other critiques you have coming, but I guess I will wait and see. As for the second stage I can't wait!

As for writing up a history, or potential history, of how she became a leader I can do that, not sure if I will have time tonight though.

The oral histories I wrote from an RP perspective and was how I was intending on writing her, though I can add an actual writing sample at the end, again it just might not happen today as I am tired and my brain not work too gud....