Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Overlord

Looks good, but if it's going in partnership with Bioware, is it going to stand alone or be part of a package with other MMOs?

By that I mean, the Sony station pass lets you play all of SOE's big MMO's including Star Wars Galaxies (yes, it's still there and it's still fun), Everquest, Everquest 2, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and then some.

If it won't plug into something like that it looks fun but I won't be there. One can only pay and play so many MMO's.

HairyHeretic

True. It will be interesting to see how many survive the past first year or so. At present I play WAR and CoX (mostly CoV).

I'm keeping an eye on this, Star Wars and Star Gate, and when the 40k MMO rolls around in a couple of years that one too. With the other commitments to my time, realistically I can't see myself playing 2, or at the very most 3, MMOs at the one time.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

Well KOTOR was big, and if they do it right, this will be big as well. BUT, I heard rumors...people worried that they'll shut down SWG in place of this.

...and of course, if they do, you'll hear me screaming even if you happen to live in the center of Zimbabwe.

Chris Brady

SWG has been a money losing venture from day one, they need to recoup their losses somehow.

If that means SWG has to go...  Sad, but...  Bai bai!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

gideonblake

No game, before or since, has come close to being so much fun and so open and great as pre-CU SWG. That was a great game, and that's not just the nostalgia. I think that it was fun and that it appealed to the casual base well enough. It just got destroyed by a playerbase that whined about not being Jedi and then became too many Jedi.

I'm not looking forward to this new SW-MMO because it looks like it's just going to be Jedi Academy on a massive scale and I don't really find that all that interesting or compelling. I miss the old school SWG game, now everything is just a clone of WoW.

The Overlord

Quote from: gideonblake on December 16, 2008, 01:31:08 AM
No game, before or since, has come close to being so much fun and so open and great as pre-CU SWG. That was a great game, and that's not just the nostalgia. I think that it was fun and that it appealed to the casual base well enough. It just got destroyed by a playerbase that whined about not being Jedi and then became too many Jedi.

I'm not looking forward to this new SW-MMO because it looks like it's just going to be Jedi Academy on a massive scale and I don't really find that all that interesting or compelling. I miss the old school SWG game, now everything is just a clone of WoW.

You're talking the old settings, when the Jedi profession had to be unlocked and not offered from the getgo. I know there's other changes too, but let's face it, everyone wants to play a Jedi at least once.

Based on what I'm seeing, they're interested in trimming SWG, not eliminating it. Word is last night in the game they're offering free character moves cross server, and a big contingent is coming to Flurry where I play. I picked it first, found out after the fact that Starsider was actually the best for RP, but now it seems Flurry is the right choice after all.

People still do play this game, and I can tell you they're adding a hella lot of content lately for a game that they would plan to shut down soon. I don't see it happening based on what I saw, but server trimming or mergers will tighten up the community for sure.

Sabby

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 13, 2008, 08:31:39 PMIf that means SWG has to go...  Sad, but...  Bai bai!

*laughs and sets up a tarp around Chris to protect from the bile*

Honestly though, it looks like just another MMO with a Star Wars skin...

Chris Brady

Quote from: gideonblake on December 16, 2008, 01:31:08 AM

Actually, there is, or was a game that used the original engine that SWG did, and did it much better I found.

It was called the Sage of Ryzom.

It used the same engine that pre-CU SWG did.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Tonalberry

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 13, 2008, 04:43:50 PM
True. It will be interesting to see how many survive the past first year or so. At present I play WAR and CoX (mostly CoV).

I'm keeping an eye on this, Star Wars and Star Gate, and when the 40k MMO rolls around in a couple of years that one too. With the other commitments to my time, realistically I can't see myself playing 2, or at the very most 3, MMOs at the one time.

*snickers* HH plays with CoX...
Okay, all juvenile-ism aside, what server do you play WAR on?  I'm on a few different ones, but my current main is on Badlands.  A  lvl 9 DE Blackguard.  He'd be higher lvl, but unfortunately WAR likes to crash on me every 30 minutes or so. :(

gideonblake

I'll have to look into Ryzom, but a quick glance at the website makes it look interesting for sure.

I wouldn't want to mislead you and say that I don't have nostalgia for SWG, as well, because I do. I downloaded and played it again for free for a bit when they offered it, and it was alright, kind of fun, but more like a buggy WoW clone now. Space was still awesome, but the class system and all that...eh, I just really want to see a really well done free form system.

I don't think that SWG is getting closed down anytime soon, especially with that info you gave, Overlord, but at the same time, I think that the consolidation is the writing on the wall. I wouldn't expect it to last a couple years after the new MMO at best.

I wanted to be a Jedi in pre-CU SWG too, everyone did. It wasn't the goal, but it was something that you hoped would happen. Then it got easy and then everyone was one. It's not as big, from what I saw since it's a class now, but it just takes away some of the flavor of the period, in my opinion. But in the new MMO, go for it, because it makes sense.

The Overlord

Quote from: gideonblake on December 19, 2008, 11:53:55 PM

I don't think that SWG is getting closed down anytime soon, especially with that info you gave, Overlord, but at the same time, I think that the consolidation is the writing on the wall. I wouldn't expect it to last a couple years after the new MMO at best.

Hard to say for sure, definitely, but some of the newest updates are rather cool. As any know who've played, SWG sits somewhere between New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. Imps, Rebs and others are scavenging through the floating remains of the first Death Star to get what they can from it that survived. The Endor system is accessible, and it's known that the Empire is 'up to something' in that system but of course it's a secret for game purposes.

But now they've advanced to Empire Strikes Back; while it's been discussed for a long time including Hoth, it's been done. Not yet as a whole planet, but an instance of the Battle of Hoth can be done, and you can pick sides as Rebs or Imps and join the fight as the Rebs evacuate. So again, how long SWG goes...as Master Yoda might offer, difficult to say, always in motion is the future. But for now it's still going, and it's still fun.  :)

EDIT- EverQuest merged servers at least three years ago, and there's no sign of that going down, I can tell you. Server trimming is not necessarily the sign of a game's demise, it's just fitting an MMO to a population that's still going but past its initial prime. Good MMO's have an amazing way of hanging in there.  ;D

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Tonalberry on December 19, 2008, 11:27:53 PM
*snickers* HH plays with CoX...
Okay, all juvenile-ism aside, what server do you play WAR on?  I'm on a few different ones, but my current main is on Badlands.  A  lvl 9 DE Blackguard.  He'd be higher lvl, but unfortunately WAR likes to crash on me every 30 minutes or so. :(

Mostly Burlok. Its one of the European servers. I have a variety of characters, ranging from about L6 to up a L28 magus. All Destruction.

Cattle die, kinsmen die