~Monsterhearts: The Correctional Academy for Damaged Youths~

Started by Blythe, November 04, 2015, 01:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Hello folks, I'm looking to run a Monsterhearts game. This is just a tentative interest check so far.

Please check out the Worldbuilding thread here for more information. Right now, you do not have to read 'The Town' section, the 'Locations of Interest' section, or 'The People' section unless you'd just like to get a grasp of the setting's flavor.

I've never gotten the chance to run a Monsterhearts game, but I'm going to give it a solid go! I'll give a rough idea of what this is about so folks don't have to waste their time reading the World Building if they aren't interested!

* I am looking for eighteen year old senior characters in high school! They will be attending a strict academy for teens that have a tendency to be in trouble. I may allow nineteen year olds, but nothing under 18.
* This game is LGBTQA friendly, and I would like players comfortable with crossgender writers (Lords writing female characters, Ladies writing male characters, Lieges writing as they wish)
* This would ideally go in the Extreme Small Groups section, but I'm only providing sexytimes if asked or if a scene calls for it. Sex is not the focus here, but I also will not shy away from it.
* The game is a system game using the Monsterhearts rules. It is a modern teenage horror drama, essentially. Monsterhearts is pretty system-lite, though.
* You need a copy of the Skin you want to play in order to participate, but access to the core rulebook helps.
* I am taking a max of five players, but three to four is ideal.
* This is not first-come first-serve. I ask that you pitch concepts here in the interest check.

If you are interested and looked at the World Building thread, here's what you need to pitch me a character concept:

* Name and Gender
* Background--where is the character from? Why are they attending CADY?
* Skin you would like to ideally play (I may allow two people to have the same skin if their concepts and move choices are different enough). The Worldbuilding thread under 'Character Generation' lists what Skins I'm allowing. If you are curious about one that is not listed, just ask.
* Name of parents or legal guardian(s) and a description of their appearance and personality(ies). I need this last one since I'll NPC characters's parents for this game. 18 is that awkward age where parents are important but not as powerful as they could be in a teen's life, due to the teen being 18, but dependency on a parent or guardian happens when still in high school often enough.

Game Resource: The basic skins are available for free legally by the creators and such here. Also available for free legally is the Serpentine skin, from the same folks.

Concepts Pitched/Approved
* Wander

Interested, Not Yet Approved
* Yugishogun
* Dim Hon
* Angiejuusan
* croiduire
* Sparrowhawke
* FarFetched

wander

Now that I pulled out my corebook due to the boost of interest here at E, I am very up for playing!

Do we post character concepts here or PM you, Sherlock? :)

Blythe

Post here! And thank you for the interest! ;D This will let people see what your idea is and the Skin you're interested in.  8-)

wander

Name: Lucien Cartnoir

Background:
Lucien has had a ton thrown on his plate recently... It all started when he lost his mother, no love for himself and no love for another... Lucien had lived a hard time since he was 16 caring for his mother who had terminal cancer. For a year it was just him and her. His deadbeat dad left the household and Lucien to it. When she passed away however Lucien's guardianship was passed right back to his dad, starting off a tumultous year where the pair had to share a roof together. Lucien's drunken dad held spite against his son for being there in his wife's last days and a sort of envy for being the man he couldn't be. It was easy for him to pick holes in Lucien, especially when he was grieving and going through all of that.

Things got worse as the supernatural began to appear in Lucien's life, which led to some dark lashing out, emotional outbursts and generally being too much of a pain in the ass for his dad to handle, in the older Cartnoir's eyes at least. Lucien never really did anything too bad to be sent to CADY, a bit of smoking here, underage drinking there... It was the general fights he had with his old man that got Lucien carted off there, on New Year's Day no less. It seemed his old man wanted a fresh start to the new year with his girlfriend and Lucien wouldn't be a part of it. Lucien insists he never hit his father but he was damn close to doing so. CADY however doesn't seem to care about that...

Skin:
Ideally the Vampire. If that becomes unavailable, I have some interest in the Infernal, then perhaps the Ghoul. I think the Vampire speaks most to me though.

Name of Parents/Legal Guardians:
Clayton Cartnoir is Lucien's father. However Lucien has a more stable guardian relationship with his Uncle and Aunt, who are far more parental with the young man. They are his father's brother, Cassius and his wife Amanda.

Blythe

I quite like the concept. Consider Lucien approved, and consider the Vampire skin yours and stat Lucien up! Strings will wait until there is hopefully more interest!  ;D

I think Lucien has some great plot hooks here--his father Clayton could potentially be a great antagonist not just for Lucien but perhaps anyone he's associating with. Cassius and Amanda make for more stable influences--they might be very kind stable folks that Lucien or perhaps friends he makes might turn to in times of trouble--would Cassius and Amanda believe that Lucien hit his father?

wander

I'll get some stats up probably tomorrow, possibly later but in answer to the question;

Cassius would believe it, because growing up with Clayton as Cassius' younger brother, he knows how much of a baiting shithead he can be. He doesn't approve of Lucien being sent to CADY and thinks that Lucien, whilst a lost soul, was likely in the right to pop his dad one.

His uncle and aunt are there to help, but also fairly strict in their own ways and also think Lucien needs to grow up some. They're trying to brush the tragic loss of his mother under the carpet some and deal with their own lives.

--

Hope that helps with NPC and plot hook goodness. :)

wander

Name: Lucien Cartnoir

Look: Pale. Dead eyes

Origin: Newly reborn

Stats
Hot +1
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark +0

Chosen Skin Moves:

Invited: You cannot enter a home without being invited. When someone invites you in, gain a String on them.

Marked for the Hunt: When you feed on someone, you gain a close bond with them. When you Gaze into the Abyss to check their whereabouts or wellbeing, roll as if you had Dark +3.

==

For backstory I'd ideally go for someone saving his unlife once, if we get other players.

Nadir

Oooh, interesting! I'll have a read and come back with a character concept.

Blythe

Quote from: wander on November 04, 2015, 06:57:33 PM
I'll get some stats up probably tomorrow, possibly later but in answer to the question;

Cassius would believe it, because growing up with Clayton as Cassius' younger brother, he knows how much of a baiting shithead he can be. He doesn't approve of Lucien being sent to CADY and thinks that Lucien, whilst a lost soul, was likely in the right to pop his dad one.

His uncle and aunt are there to help, but also fairly strict in their own ways and also think Lucien needs to grow up some. They're trying to brush the tragic loss of his mother under the carpet some and deal with their own lives.

--

Hope that helps with NPC and plot hook goodness. :)

*nod* This works great and has some plot hooks in it, too--thanks for elaborating! :)

*thumbs up to wander* Looks great on the stats!

Quote from: Dim Hon on November 05, 2015, 10:22:25 AM
Oooh, interesting! I'll have a read and come back with a character concept.

*manly squees* DIM <3

And of course, if you have any questions or whatnot, let me know!

Yukina

I might join depending on the possibilities for F/F. Nonetheless, I'll post my idea.

Name: Sakurako Sazaki
Background: Sakurako was orphaned at the age of five when her parents died in a car crash. With no willing relatives to speak of, she became a ward of the state. With little time to properly grieve and being shuffled around from horrid foster home to horrid foster home, she eventually ran away on her eighteenth birthday. However, in her troubled dash, she was ran down by a random car in the streets and any chance of her forming a better life was snuffed out in a second. She now wanders across the streets, stealing food as she has no provider to speak of. She isn't exactly a master thief however and has now been caught one too many times.
Skin: The Ghost
Name of Parents: Goto Sazaki (Deceased), Marin Sazaki (Deceased)
Personality: Sakurako has always been quite shy, always being the meek, nerdy sibling that was picked on by all the other children. She's not exactly a pushover, but she is easily manipulated by fear. Being quite a recent ghost, the brunette bookworm hasn't quite gotten the hang of dissipating yet and is thus still easy to push around.

Blythe

Hey, Yugishogun! Unsure if there will be F/F since I haven't had a female concept pitched before yours yet, but we'll see. I like the concept, though--if we get another female character we'll see about it.

That being said, I've asked for no anime images for this game, so I'd ask that you use a different character image if you wish to use a picture.

wander

Put down one female and I'm sure those interested in F/F may come. :)

I'm glad we have a potential Ghost, they're one of my faves, though I'm playing one already elsewhere. ^^

I'm fairly glad to see that some interest is slowly coming in for this. Would you be playing a GMPC if the group needs it, Sherlock?

Blythe

Quote from: wander on November 05, 2015, 12:00:53 PM
I'm fairly glad to see that some interest is slowly coming in for this. Would you be playing a GMPC if the group needs it, Sherlock?

Ideally I'd like to avoid playing a GMPC and let the players here with their characters shine and be the stars, but if the group needed an extra PC, I'd play one if all the players were okay with it.

Most likely would be a male character of some sort if I did that, unsure on a skin. I'd likely only select a skin after all others did so to ensure players get their first picks if they can.

Yukina

Quote from: Sherlock on November 05, 2015, 11:50:25 AM
Hey, Yugishogun! Unsure if there will be F/F since I haven't had a female concept pitched before yours yet, but we'll see. I like the concept, though--if we get another female character we'll see about it.

That being said, I've asked for no anime images for this game, so I'd ask that you use a different character image if you wish to use a picture.

I apologize. I must have missed the picture rule in my eagerness. An edit has been applied. :)

Blythe

Quote from: Yugishogun on November 05, 2015, 12:07:26 PM
I apologize. I must have missed the picture rule in my eagerness. An edit has been applied. :)

Thank you! And I love the picture you selected--the actress Chloe Bennet (I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a lot, which is why I recognized her!).  ;D

Yukina

Quote from: Sherlock on November 05, 2015, 12:08:53 PM
Thank you! And I love the picture you selected--the actress Chloe Bennet (I watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a lot, which is why I recognized her!).  ;D

Thank you. I thought a pic of Season 1 Sky would look perfect for Sakurako. :)

Angie

Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Yukina

Blythe

Quote from: Angiejuusan on November 05, 2015, 12:13:07 PM
Anyone mind if I roll up a Witch?

Feel free to pitch a concept and stats if you would like.

I'm going to hold a spot in reserve for Dim for a bit as well.

wander

Nadir

croiduire

Oh, dear! I had never even heard of Monsterhearts until reading the thread in Worldbuilding, and do not have the core rules (I will try to get them at first opportunity), but I read the skins, and was grabbed--a character appeared fully formed, asking for validation, for existence (and I suppose technically she can do that...)

Her name is Alice Giselle Fairweather. Up until three years ago she led an idyllic life, the pampered, affluent daughter of David, a brilliant Silicon Valley entrepreneur, and Katya, his loving, artistic wife, a professional ballet dancer until her retirement. Unlike so many, they were devoted to each other and to their children, a son, James, and Alice, the younger child by four years. They were genuinely good people, appreciative of the fortune they'd earned, giving back to the community, and committed to many liberal social and environmental causes (of note, Katya taught dance to underprivileged and handicapped children; the wheelchair ballet she choreographed won special recognition and praise from so notable an organisation as DanceAbility International).

The family was on their way home from a perfect vacation in Banff where they'd gone to celebrate James' acceptance by MIT--as Daddy had put it, "Our last family vacation while the kids are still kids." He was more correct than he ever imagined, even in his worst nightmares. Their private plane went down; there were no survivors, but everyone thought Alice had somehow survived... (I need help here, since I don't know what the rules say about the physical remains of Ghosts.)

Alice blames herself, perhaps with some cause--her father, who was piloting the plane, had told her to shut off her cell phone, but she was texting her friends at the time of the crash. She lived long enough to see the mangled, lifeless bodies of the three people in the world she loved the most. When she was found she was sent to live with her aunt and uncle. Mike, David's older brother, is a tenured professor of economics at Western Washington University (in Bellingham); his wife, Johanna, is a research librarian at the Huxley College of the Environment, part of WWU. They were both gutted by the deaths of David, Katya, and James, (the whole extended family is/was very close) and gladly opened their hearts and home to Alice. Grief-stricken themselves, they understood her sadness, although it hurt them to see her forlorn aspect and pained eyes. Now, three years later, they've tried everything they know to comfort her, and are at a loss. It hurts Alice too, to know she's making them so unhappy, so when Uncle Mike tentatively suggested she enrol at CADY (all the information he and his wife could uncover and word-of-mouth reports suggested it could really help troubled kids and was a good place), she agreed.

Her moves would be Unresolved Trauma and Forgive and Forget, although that might be challenging to score game-mechanics-wise, since the only one she blames is herself. Her stats would be Hot 0, Cold 1, Volatile -1, and Dark 1.

Physically Alice is/was very pretty in a somewhat ethereal way--dark haired (French roast coffee coloured), grey-eyed, and alabaster-fair skinned, 5'3" tall and 100 lbs.

"A stupid person can make only certain, limited types of errors; the mistakes open to a clever fellow are far broader. But to the one who knows how smart he is compared to everyone else, the possibilities for true idiocy are boundless."
S.K.Z. Brust

Angie

I need to go to class, but I'll get my sheet in after that. Hopefully before six other people apply  ::)
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Blythe

I quite like that concept, croiduire, and I'm glad the skins nabbed your interest. Alice looks very interesting! I like the two moves, but I do hesitate at the Unresolved Trauma one, since it does require some blaming of others. Can you think of ways Alice might be pushed into blaming others rather than herself? If you can, it would be a good move to take, particularly because it combos well with Forgive and Forget, but if not, I might suggest considering a different move. I'll get you some info about ghosts and remains in a while when I can.

To put people at ease, I'm not going to approve any concepts or stats for a few days to give those who need a bit of extra time to whip something up, since the game's not first-come first-serve. I was not quite expecting so much interest!  :-)

croiduire

I'd love to shed Unresolved Trauma but the Monsterheart pdf says under Ghost Moves that it is a given and inescapable. If that could be changed, I'd be thrilled.

Edit: ...unless she recently discovered that the crash was caused by mechanical failure, and--after three years of self-loathing--she didn't have anything to do with it after all... *ponder ponder ponder*
"A stupid person can make only certain, limited types of errors; the mistakes open to a clever fellow are far broader. But to the one who knows how smart he is compared to everyone else, the possibilities for true idiocy are boundless."
S.K.Z. Brust