Steampunk

Started by Wilhiem, October 19, 2009, 07:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyoZero

Steampunker here!!

Love the dress and such...awesome look IMO

-Kyo

Anasha

I've just recently gotten into Steampunk music and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.  I'm a semi-amateur photographer as well and I adore the men's steampunk fashion (not so much some of the women's though).

I think Butterflykiss mentioned Abney Park and they're great (Sleep Isabella is my fav), but as far as I've seen they are one of the only bands everyone seems to agree is steampunk!!

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the 'culture' to write anything on it :D

Oniya

Hey, any band with a song about Airship Pirates is steampunk by definition.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

I remember when airships were more in the area of high fantasy.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Morven

Airships, high fantasy?  Um, where? 

(That's not sarcasm, it's genuine curiosity.  High fantasy has meant "wannabe Tolkien" for a long time that I've seen).
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Oniya

My first fictional exposure to airships (as opposed to knowing about historical things like zeppelins) was in Final Fantasy (the original).  Of course, even the early FFs have a dubious tech-level, as I recall intricate machines in many of them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cecilia

I have some cool steampunk jewelry, bur my teen us totally SP--she wears lacy tops with long skirts and genuinely old welding goggles to school.  Oh, and leather driving gloves too.  I think the upswing in interest is the recent plethora of manga sp that has hit the market lately, so people between 12 and 18 are being heavily exposed to it now.   

consortium11

Quote from: Morven on November 17, 2009, 02:33:35 AM
Airships, high fantasy?  Um, where? 

(That's not sarcasm, it's genuine curiosity.  High fantasy has meant "wannabe Tolkien" for a long time that I've seen).

Off the top of my head there's the FF airships and in the computer game Total Annihilation Kingdoms. On the more fairytale side didn't stardust feature an airship?

While they far more often fall into the steampunk category, fantasy (often of the high variety) has it's own tradition of them.

Morven

Ah, you're defining 'high fantasy' different than I do, which explains why my confusion! 
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences