News:

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ofDelusions

I do care about winning. Its just not to the only thing in the game I care about. One thing that helps me keep calm is to think of the game in terms of practice when I am losing, so I get something out the game if I lose horribly.

Shjade

Quote from: Peepeur on May 01, 2013, 05:02:04 PM
As a player who sees toxicity and shrugs it off, I have to disagree about your extremely poor comparisons of League and real life situations. I'm not getting hit by a car when people call me bad. Nor am I hitting others with my car, or even my semi, if people actually think toxicity is that big of a deal, when I call others bad. Sure it might be an issue of self control, but really, the order is still: baddies -> lose self control -> toxicity ensues. I'm not saying it's justified; I'm just saying if you look at things that way, you'll understand the toxicity. Whether or not people will shrug it off like me is another issue.

I want to play with you so badly right now, Shjade. League boner right now. Duo queue ranked, yeah?

I never said I fail to understand it, at least in the circumstances you describe - as I've said, most of the time when I see people behaving that way they aren't even doing better than the people they're bitching at, they're just bitching because bitching is what they do. I said it shouldn't happen anyway. It's not acceptable behavior and shouldn't be excused by, "Well if you didn't play so badly he wouldn't have to blow up like that."

Most of the time when someone on my team starts blowing up at someone else, I'm in a position to point out something along the lines of the following: "Hey, <PersonBeingADick'sNameHere>. I know you think you're awesome and I'mma let you finish, but you have twice my deaths, half my kills and a third my CS. How's about you shut the fuck up about how you got 'stuck with this team.' Sound good?"

Or, more realistically given chat buffer restrictions and the need for typing quickly in game, "The scoreboard suggests you're worse than you think you are, slick."

I'm afraid I don't have any examples of someone carrying a team and being toxic at the same time. The two states have proven mutually exclusive thus far in my experience with the game.

As for your proposition, even if I played ranked (which I don't, in large part to avoid the asshole behavior described above), I wouldn't want to play it with someone whose primary concern is winning. I don't need performance anxiety in my recreation, thanks, and I don't see the point in playing games with someone who isn't equally prioritizing fun in said games. It'll only lead to conflict.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Kaedia

Here is all I'm going to say on the Toxicity argument... http://na.leagueoflegends.com/articles/The_Summoners_Code ... Riot doesn't support Toxicity in their players. In the end that's all that really matters since they are the ones who do the bans.

In other news I really want to play Lissandra but I refuse to buy her until she hits 6400. I dislike their new 7800 price so I just wait a week and get it for 6400. Lissandra is tempting me though...

Anyways back to ARAM!
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Zefie on May 01, 2013, 05:41:10 PM
Here is all I'm going to say on the Toxicity argument... http://na.leagueoflegends.com/articles/The_Summoners_Code ... Riot doesn't support Toxicity in their players. In the end that's all that really matters since they are the ones who do the bans.

In other news I really want to play Lissandra but I refuse to buy her until she hits 6400. I dislike their new 7800 price so I just wait a week and get it for 6400. Lissandra is tempting me though...

Anyways back to ARAM!

I have extra rp if you want her.

Just got out of an ARAM as Soraka and went 1/7/40 with a win.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

I typically don't buy new champions until I've had a chance to try them on free week anyway. Made a couple of purchases I regret afterward, don't want to repeat that.
◕/◕'s

ofDelusions

Anyways back to ARAM!

I'm waiting until she comes free in two weeks and then try her.

Peepeur

Quote from: Shjade on May 01, 2013, 05:30:29 PM
I never said I fail to understand it, at least in the circumstances you describe - as I've said, most of the time when I see people behaving that way they aren't even doing better than the people they're bitching at, they're just bitching because bitching is what they do. I said it shouldn't happen anyway. It's not acceptable behavior and shouldn't be excused by, "Well if you didn't play so badly he wouldn't have to blow up like that."

Most of the time when someone on my team starts blowing up at someone else, I'm in a position to point out something along the lines of the following: "Hey, <PersonBeingADick'sNameHere>. I know you think you're awesome and I'mma let you finish, but you have twice my deaths, half my kills and a third my CS. How's about you shut the fuck up about how you got 'stuck with this team.' Sound good?"

Or, more realistically given chat buffer restrictions and the need for typing quickly in game, "The scoreboard suggests you're worse than you think you are, slick."

I'm afraid I don't have any examples of someone carrying a team and being toxic at the same time. The two states have proven mutually exclusive thus far in my experience with the game.

As for your proposition, even if I played ranked (which I don't, in large part to avoid the asshole behavior described above), I wouldn't want to play it with someone whose primary concern is winning. I don't need performance anxiety in my recreation, thanks, and I don't see the point in playing games with someone who isn't equally prioritizing fun in said games. It'll only lead to conflict.

My bad. I was under the impression that you had some experience with ranked games. But apparently, all of your experiences with toxicity has been from normal games, where I'm not even sure the discussion of toxicity is relevant. Do people actually report others in normal games? I mean, is everyone here just playing normals and meeting toxic players there?

Still pretty big League boner right now, regardless of you shutting me down in the most polite manner possible.

That's great Zefie.

Shjade

The League community, taken as a whole, is toxic. All you have to do to see that is browse the forums.

It is definitely not restricted to the context of ranked gameplay.
◕/◕'s

Kaedia

The ARAM Gods have deemed me worthy. Here was the team comp I got last game... Amumu, Jarvan, Anivia, Morgana, and Vi. Jarvan ult into Morg ult into Amumu ult while Anivia ult is going. Oh and Vi... well... being Vi. Getting to level 6 was the hardest part. Once we got 6 it was pure death.
[Absences and Apologies] -- [1/0 - Preferences] -- [Requests and Ideas] -- [YIM/Email/PM Requests]
My Status:
Open.
◄ The mark is a part of me, but it does not define me ►

Shjade

I was so sad my last (losing) ARAM. I had Anivia...but enemy team had Talon, Poppy and Olaf. I couldn't stop ALL of them with one wall. :|

We ended up losing a long, pretty even game when I was 21/9/29. x.x
◕/◕'s

The Golden Touch

Bullies deserve consequences and a swift ignore button. Don't bother trying to quote me and give an opinion because I'll probably not pay attention. I play bots and stay away from pvp so arguments will be invalid!! Whoo... Moving on.

And damn it! There is so much more pvp crap now. Man, I'm missing out on stuff here. Did Caitlyn get anything fun yet?

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: The Golden Touch on May 01, 2013, 08:08:14 PM
Bullies deserve consequences and a swift ignore button. Don't bother trying to quote me and give an opinion because I'll probably not pay attention. I play bots and stay away from pvp so arguments will be invalid!! Whoo... Moving on.

And damn it! There is so much more pvp crap now. Man, I'm missing out on stuff here. Did Caitlyn get anything fun yet?

Cait... Who?

SinXAzgard21

Quitting league for the night, got to win number nine and then 5 straight losses.

Ryven

Tried ARAM for the first time this morning. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems like just a giant pokefest with no real goal. I understand the goal to get to the nexus and all but I didn't find myself having much fun. I might try it again now that I have played it once and know the deal but I don't know if I'll change my opinion.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Ryven on May 02, 2013, 02:32:38 PM
Tried ARAM for the first time this morning. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems like just a giant pokefest with no real goal. I understand the goal to get to the nexus and all but I didn't find myself having much fun. I might try it again now that I have played it once and know the deal but I don't know if I'll change my opinion.

The point of it is that no one takes it seriously.  Riot is currently working on map specific nerfs and buffs for champions.  They thought it would be solved with new items but have realized that they need to rework the champions themselves. 

Shjade

The points of ARAM:

- To have fun without concern for winning or losing (still get "tryhards" now and then, but mostly this holds up)
- To try adapting strategy to what you're dealt (Got randomed into an all-melee team? Well...good luck! =D)
- Mess around on champions you wouldn't normally play
- Teamfight all the time without needing to spend half the game farming first
- Play shorter games (average ARAMs run 15-25 minutes as opposed to normal averages of, what, 25-40?)
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Finally had to mute Lissandra's music and speech.

FallenRanger

Got Fiora. Time to try this bitch out.
Request Thread

You think lag is your ally? You merely adopted the lag. I was moulded by it. Changed by it. I didn't see latency till I was a man ಠ_ಠ

SinXAzgard21

Got my tenth for my icon now back to another losing streak.

Ryven

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 02, 2013, 02:51:07 PM
The point of it is that no one takes it seriously.  Riot is currently working on map specific nerfs and buffs for champions.  They thought it would be solved with new items but have realized that they need to rework the champions themselves.

This actually makes more sense to me.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Ryven on May 02, 2013, 08:05:54 PM
This actually makes more sense to me.

Pretty much gotta roll with it.  I was stuck with shaco one game, I did horridly.  In the end I was 8/8/15 but we still lost to a heavy ass poke team.

Chris Brady

How does ARAM work?  Do you get the full run of champs?  Or just those you own?  Also, what's the arena like?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 03, 2013, 01:17:15 AM
How does ARAM work?  Do you get the full run of champs?  Or just those you own?  Also, what's the arena like?

What ever you own at random along with the champs that are free that week.  You now can get rerolls which allow you to reroll a champ at random.  Takes me five games to earn one reroll on my main account.  No one really takes it seriously, those who do get laughed at.  You pretty much play to waste time, team fight and learn a champ you've not used ever.  It is the most lax and enjoyable form of pvp the game has.

Chris Brady

Once I find the executable on my rig (it's somewhere on one of these HDDs...) I'll try some.  After I go to bed.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Ryven

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 02, 2013, 11:21:28 PM
Pretty much gotta roll with it.  I was stuck with shaco one game, I did horridly.  In the end I was 8/8/15 but we still lost to a heavy ass poke team.

Yeah but at least you can build him up and poke with his knife throw. He has more utility than say poppy or tryndamere in that type of game.