Mecha Mashup Interest Check! (REBOOT)

Started by Outlaw Fallen, January 20, 2014, 01:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silk

I didn't mean that were actively using a point allocation, I just mean that I'm keeping a point allocation style system in mind in regards to the abilities of the mech. So the stronger it is at something, it would not be as strong elsewhere, so it isn't a "My mech is great at everything with no real downsides because it's designed that way" while also not causing the achiles heel effect, since let's take a DnD method just for example.

You can spent all your points in str if you want too, as long as your aware that it'll give less points for your other stats, or you could have one stat suffer dramatically for the strength. Nothing enforced or alike, it's just how I'm personally keeping in mind while designing my mechs.

Iblis121

Read ya loud and clear, Outlaw Fallen. Personally, I haven't been thinking in terms of points are stats. Just going by the rule of cool here. Thinking about what I like in a Giant Robot without making it too ridiculous, and then thinking of ways to make it work. And I've got a lot of work to do in that department, as all I really know for sure is that I want a Bipedal unit that's piloted with full body motion detection, something similar to the Mobile Trace System in Mobile Fighter G Gundam. And that the thing will have a cloak or scarf of some kind. Why? On principle alone.

I'm curious to see if anybody decides to go the MechWarrior/Armored Core route, though. They always struck me as more realistic mecha, and it'd be interesting to see what someone does to make something like that viable with all the other types of mechs around.

...Though I'm sure something like Nine Ball Seraph would hold it's own just fine...

Robelwell202

Oh, dear...

I'm seriously considering an AXR-7 Arbalest for this one... 
Mal:  "Define 'interesting'."
Wash:  "Oh God, Oh God, we're all going to die?"

O/O
A/A
Ideas

Wheresmycow

Not even thinking about the mech, if I wanted to go for maximum drama, I'm thinking of a mercenary who used to be in both the Imperial Vanguard and the Royal Guard.  Starting as just a soldier in the Empire, he rose through the ranks and became inducted into the Imperial Vanguard.  As his first assignment, since he hadn't become known to the Kingdom yet, they had him go into deep cover and infiltrate the military of the Kingdom.  Rising through the ranks again, he became one of the Royal Guard, and served as a knight.  His assignment was to see if he could assassinate the Queen, or at least feed critical military information to the Empire that would allow them to crush the Kingdom.  However, time spent in service of the Royal Guard compromised him, and he was unsure of what he should do.  Of course at this point, the Empire found out he was wavering, and so when he tried to meet his factor one night, they tried to kill him.  He survived, but not without the Royal Guard finding out who he was.  So a traitor to both sides, he had to run.

Officially, he doesn't exist in any military's history, because he's a deep shame for both sides.  But both elite units remember him and assassins from the Empire regularly try to hunt him down and kill him.  Meanwhile, he takes odd jobs, and even the Kingdom has been known to hire him, to the incredible distaste of any of the Royal Guard who know his past.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

PaladinZenaku

I am interested in playing something on the lines of Front Missions wanzer designs or my favorite mech from the AC series.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

Outlaw Fallen

Quote from: Iblis121 on January 26, 2014, 08:28:33 AM
And that the thing will have a cloak or scarf of some kind. Why? On principle alone.
...awesome... I personally planned on using a cape or something on one of my mechs.

I would also be curious to see what manner of modified AC would be able to stand up to some of these other frames we're talking about. While I imagined that AC's/mechwarrior types would be the more groundpound standard infantry types, I image a frame of that design could have heavier armor and a loadout with a bigger punch to it. Speaking of other types of frames, though, you guys are throwing out some names that I've never even heard before. My frame will fall somewhere between Code Geass and Zone of the Enders by design. I will shamelessly rip a few things such as the radiant wave surger because, well... it's badass.

I think the best way to describe it is that despite a very versatile loadout, use of any one thing limits anything else. While I would say it is a multi-role frame, I would also say that 1v1 combat is its best function, perhaps even 1v2 in a dual-wielding situation. It would also depend on the pilots he would be fighting. And those fights are basically give and take. But against multiple units hammering his shields, well... he'd lose power to his shields to do anything super effective. Anywho, I'm rambling. I do get what you're saying now, Silk. Kckolbe, if you watch the game and decide you want to become a part of it, you will always be welcome.
"I fought the decisions that called and lost
My mark has the relevant piece in this
I will come reformed
In short, for the murder of those I court
I bless the hour that holds your fall
I will kill you all" - Coheed & Cambria
A/A's UPDATED! (6/6/19) | Desires | Outlaw-bait

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

Iblis121

Quote from: Outlaw Fallen on January 26, 2014, 06:53:18 PMMy frame will fall somewhere between Code Geass and Zone of the Enders by design.

I positively adore Zone of the Enders. I assume most people love Anubis, I'm also a fan of Vic Viper myself. As for Code Geass, I have to admit I haven't seen it yet. Chances are I'll be watching it very soon now, though...

Outlaw Fallen

The first and last pics on the front page of the red and white mechs... Guren and Lancelot. You will know them very well by the end of the series. Guren has the radiant wave surger (you will probably get a boner when you see it in action). I think I will rip their float system for my mech's flight... the energy wings just look cool. But I might change my mind, I think my frame has changed like ten times already.

And, yeah, Anubis was cool, but Jehuty was just as cool. Especially once it got the ability to zero shift. Jehuty's combat abilities looked cooler, though Anubis' frame design was pretty awesome. The sound effect for Anubis' zero shift was also cooler. That, and Jehuty looked like a not-girly version of Dolores... if that was her name, it's been forever since I saw that series. I mean, still a unique frame design from others, but the two definitely resembled each other in an uncanny manner. But I digress.
I will come reformed

"Doesn't love always begin that way; with the illusion more real than the woman?" - Jean-Luc Picard

Delta 8O8

I am absolutely DOWN for this.

As far as details go: I've played every single Armored Core game to date. Mech Warrior when I was younger (and had a decent PC). Of course I've seen all the Mecha type anime and the one Cartoon (Battle Tech).
And, since no one seems to be bringing it up, Chrome Hounds. Even with the Servers down I still have-, and still play it.

Quote from: Wheresmycow on January 24, 2014, 01:25:36 PM
I'm going to admit to a certain fascination at the idea of a mercenary who's mech combat capabilities is directly involved on what songs he sings while he pilots it and how passionately and loudly he does so.

I saw the video you posted that inspired your idea, but the first thing that popped into my head after reading this was the movie Hudson Hawk.
If you haven't seen it before, it's about a guy who doesn't use any kind of time device while he goes about Robbing certain places. Instead, he sings certain Show Tunes to keep his time.

"O'er Azure Skies and Emerald Plains
"Be without fear in the face of your enemies
Stay Low, Go Fast
Where Freedom and Justice Prevail!
Be brave and upright, that God may love thee.
Kill First, Die Last
With Courage and Strength
Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death.
One Shot, One Kill
We will fight to the end
Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong."
No Luck, All Skill
For Liberty in our Land!"
This is my Oath

Outlaw Fallen

The question has come up, and I wanted you guys' opinion before making a decision, because it is a dimension of the game that will affect all of us. How would you guys feel about allowing players who do not wish to play pilots, but just support roles instead. They would be required to remain organic to this game, however, as mechanics or developers or something along those lines that would be relevant to our pilots. I don't see a whole lot of people chomping at the bits to play these roles, but... whatevs. What do you guys think?
I will come reformed

Silk

I was thinking of having a secondary character to be my mechanic to be honest so I'm all for it. :)

SargentToughie

I don't see any reason why not. What does it hurt?
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Iblis121

Quote from: SargentToughie on January 27, 2014, 12:07:27 PM
I don't see any reason why not. What does it hurt?

Yeah, I'm for it as well. I don't see how it could negatively impact the game or players.

PaladinZenaku

Alright I have a collection of mechs I am torn between choosing.
Mech choices

~Shadowfang~

SargentToughie

Black Sazabi? That one has my vote.

Question for the GM, how are we handling one of the most important steeples of ANY self-respecting mech story? You know, the all important mid-season upgrade? I've already got two mechs planned out that I'd like to use, but I want to know ahead of time if we're allowed to start out in a smaller and inferior frame, and step up to something better later down the line. This actually dictates a LOT in terms of character progression, story pacing, and how much fun I can have with various scenes and interactions... At least for me personally.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Batman4560

I think that is a great question.

Dorian Grandale

Hello once again, Outlaw, and all others expressing interest.

Yes, BT/MW is certainly a dated source, but it is one I love. Specially the Clans. But that's unimportant.
Quote from: Outlaw FallenWhile I imagined that AC's/mechwarrior types would be the more groundpound standard infantry types, I image a frame of that design could have heavier armor and a loadout with a bigger punch to it.

Indeed, my primary idea is based on this. A small starting-up mercenary or militia group, using heavily modified infantry frames, centered on melee and (very)short range combat. For those who might know, or care to find out, my primary selection for a frame, is this:
Mech Frame

Also, the mention of secondary characters does spark some ideas in mind, but those need to cook a little more before I place them down.  :-) But as mentioned before, I'm watching you all..  ;)
"There ain't no sunshine when I'm low, how I'm low.
People tell me life's a game, I'm not playing.
Bitches don't mean shit to me, anymore.
I have taken my blows, I'm still standing.."

Oreida Wesker

I, personally, would love playing as an Engineer/Mechanic, it's a role for which Oreida was originally created for. I also dig the battlefield Medic angle, so If I got to play, least i'll be getting to know a majority of the pilots. I just can't see her piloting without being concerned for the well-being of the mobile suit. :P
Hots and Nots

All my devotion betrayed, I'm no longer afriad.

Outlaw Fallen

I believe the issue of allowing players who just want to fill support roles has been resolved with approval. So if any of your friends have expressed interest but weren't sure about playing a pilot, let them know it's open to support roles germane to the setting now! I look forward to seeing some of the characters that people come up with.

Quote from: SargentToughie on January 28, 2014, 06:46:37 PM
Question for the GM, how are we handling one of the most important steeples of ANY self-respecting mech story? You know, the all important mid-season upgrade? I've already got two mechs planned out that I'd like to use, but I want to know ahead of time if we're allowed to start out in a smaller and inferior frame, and step up to something better later down the line. This actually dictates a LOT in terms of character progression, story pacing, and how much fun I can have with various scenes and interactions... At least for me personally.

Fantastical question, Toughie. I fully expect that once we've all laid our mechs out, there will be some that see a detail or weapon and are like 'I've totes gotta have that!' Upgrades are always welcome. I've already got a few in mind for mine. Smaller upgrades I expect here and there. Unless your pilot is simply loaded, I would say the bigger upgrades need to be spaced out. I'm probably stating the obvious, but yeah, upgrades are fine.

I've seen more than one mention of merc groups, and I need to remind everyone that your pilot will be a member of either one faction or the other. Until the game grows quite a bit more, I won't be allowing any segregate groups deviating from this design. Your characters will either be a part of the kingdom's military or the empire's for the time being. There is no third option here. When we've got enough players and enough characters (and probably when we have our own big group sub-forum), there will be an event that scatters the militaries and allows groups to be formed. Bear in mind, as well, that this event will come when it is natural to the game. By this, I mean that whenever we do reach a sizable amount of people and get our own sub-forum, do not bombard me with requests to create a new group. I encourage you to come up with details about your group and what they are about and write them down so that when we do come to that point, you can pitch them to me or my co-gm for approval. I am only implementing an approval on these groups because if I didn't, we would have 30 different smaller groups with no real purpose and no participation.

I have approved one player's pitch for a race that stayed separate of the two powers for as long as possible, but what it boiled down to was this; complete and total submission of control to the empire as slaves (because control is the empire's MO), or voluntary service under the kingdom (as the kingdom only cares to control military assets so that they may command the war effort on their own terms and not have rogue groups attacking and inviting invasion at weaker points). If I need to elaborate further, then let me know. I'm sorry if this disappoints some, but I thought I had made this pretty clear from the beginning.
I will come reformed

Silk

Well the mercenary situation is easy enough to solve, You are merc's but you are under a long term contract with either kingdom or empire until the divide happens. Besides, it's only one or the other that will likely be able to afford your services.

Outlaw Fallen

If that is a route you would want to go, I suppose it would be fine. I would bring to light several points, though, to make sure you fully understand your merc's position before you stick him/her in there. Firstly, both powers are pouring funds into this continuing war machine and have large armies and great pilots; while hiring extra guns/swords is not outside of the realm of reality for either faction, they will not be paying outrageous sums of money to mercs when their money is tied up elsewhere and they have to fund their own pilots. Second, as a mercenary, your character would not hold a position in the military, yet would be bound to the rule of the military so long as they served. Essentially, they would be treated as a grunt and expected to fall in line like one because they could be punished just like anyone else for disobedience. Neither faction is going to pay for a rogue. Lastly, but probably least significant unless your character just doesn't form any personal relationships with other pilots, there would be many who hold no regard for such a rogue and therefor would not come to his/her aid.

If you understand this and still want a mercenary, then by all means, you are welcome to have a mercenary character. Once the game opens up to more groups, there will be much more incentive for mercenary pilots since both factions will begin hiring mercs after losing so many soldiers and resources. This is the realistic position I see mercs in at this point in the game, though.
I will come reformed

Silk

It's the investment idea tbh. On that note, how would traitors and turncoats go, since that's something mercs will likely do at some point, but it's also something to keep in mind for for the regulars as well.

Outlaw Fallen

I look at this in a real world light in that it will really depend on the circumstances surrounding a character's departure and the manner of their separation. Treason from a mercenary wouldn't be allowed by either faction, though, anymore than they would allow it from their own soldiers. I don't think a mercenary would be wise to jump ship, though. How would you feel if someone who had weeks before wiped out a number of your friends and comrades was now being paid to fight on your side? Today's enemy being tomorrow's friend who could be the enemy again the day after is just ridiculous and inviting trouble. This is a part of the reason I did not want to open this particular can of worms at this point.
I will come reformed

PaladinZenaku

Quote from: SargentToughie on January 28, 2014, 06:46:37 PM
Black Sazabi? That one has my vote.

Yeah I have been leaning towards it but with a upgrade planned for it.
~Shadowfang~

Outlaw Fallen

[*img height=200][*/img]Name:
Alias/Call-sign:
Faction Loyalty:
Race:
Hair/Eyes:

General Description:

[*img height=200][*/img]
Frame Name:

Frame Type:

Frame Description:

Auxiliary Devices/Load-outs:

Supplemental Notes:

Upgrades:

So this is a general idea of what I'm thinking for our character sheets. You may note that I left out the ever-present section for history. If you would like to add it, I am fine with that, but I am not requiring it. I like for players to have the option to reveal their character history through game play if they desire. I don't mind you adding a weapons slot or anything like that if you feel it necessary. I figured most anything could go in general description slots, but some of you may want those to have a specific bullet of their own. The Auxiliary Devices/Load-outs slot is for... what I would define as expendable or interchangeable parts, for those of you that have/want them. And, of course, the Upgrades bullet for use as your frame gets upgraded. Let me know if I missed anything or if you guys feel the need for something more.
I will come reformed