News:

Main Menu

Minecraft!

Started by Dizzi, January 28, 2011, 12:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzi

So, who here plays?  Any particular servers you like to play multiplayer on?

Post your builds!  Just all things minecraft! :D

I play on a server called 'Crafthub' It's great.  I'll post some pics of my current project soon.

Craz

You know, when I saw this, I thought "why the frak don't we have any minecraft topics here before?"

I prefer to play survival, mostly because it appeals to the ADVENTURE! side of me. However, two friends of mine are looking to make a nearly 1:1 scale replica of the Pyramid at Giza....complete with a Stargate inside.

Xanatos

I play, though haven't for awhile mainly thanks to the move. It is a fun game to be creative on. I play on Survival though I turned off the monsters for awhile; they seriously were pissing me off. I can't stand having creeps that run up to me and blow me into the dirt, forcing me to run all the way back and risk further death so I can re-gather all my inventory... -grumbles-

I did manage to build quite the castle complex before getting fed up, however. Nothing really spectacular compared to some of those works people have done, sure. On Youtube someone built a scale Galaxy Class Starship (Enterprise-D I believe). Its freaking huge.

One of my goals is to build an underground, primarily, railroad system between various outposts and my main castle. This, however, will take FOREVER, considering much Iron its going to take to do so. Building the structures is obscenely easy as stone is everywhere. Tunneling is not so easy and will also take forever as well. The inventory fills up fastish, and tools break really quick. I am not using my Iron or Diamond to make better tools, screw that. I'm using stone because its plentiful.

Xenolord

This game is like cocaine. It's a stupid game with horrible graphics... BUT IT'S SO FUN! I just can't... stop!

And all the things you can build! Creativity knows no bounds! All and all, this is a fabulous little time killer.

*Ssssss* Hey, anyone else hear that?

Yorubi

Haha I actually know my one friend is addicted to this XD It seems rather cool but I'm not quite sure about actually paying for it. I mean its pretty cheap but I just feel iffy about that considering how it is.

Dizzi

First of all; buy soon.  the price will be going up soon.  I got the alpha, so it was super cheap, and I will get everything from now on for free.  The beta is less cheap, but it's worth it.  Trust me.

Shjade

Quote from: XenoLord on January 28, 2011, 03:06:37 PM
This game is like cocaine.
They are indeed similar in that both seem unappealing. ;p

I dunno. Just seems to me that when I get a creative urge I'd like to have something physical as the end product. It's a neat cyber-sandbox and all, but that's just not for me.

I do, however, find some amusement in watching videos of stupid/silly things other people have done in Minecraft, like this vid of kilplixism basically getting himself killed in various ways.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Craz

If you want a very good silly/stupid video series, watch SeaNanners's Let's Play of Minecraft. It's freaking hilarious.

Nadir

I use Minecraft as my carrot when I'm writing. It's awesome. ^_^

Aiden

This game....ahhhhhhhh -sighs!- All I want to do is dig and dig...and dig!

Nadir

Aiden likes to go down

*gigglesnorts*

Aiden

Shjade

Quote from: Craz on January 28, 2011, 10:44:42 PM
If you want a very good silly/stupid video series, watch SeaNanners's Let's Play of Minecraft. It's freaking hilarious.
Hm.

You know, #2 of his video series has me wondering if I've been thinking about Minecraft the wrong way. Most of what I've seen/heard about it has to do with the multiplayer and with crafting, all the crap people build and the life-size Enterprise recreations and so on and so on, all of which seems like an incredibly boring way to spend time on a computer.

It hadn't occurred to me that, in single-player, the game is also essentially my favorite part of an MMO: exploration. Just the moment where Seananners goes out on his pre-dusk escapade and stumbles on that deep crevasse had me go, Hey. That could be fun. Screw the finding coal and building things part, whatever, but just wandering around an open world (or sneaking around in it at night as the case may be, though it doesn't seem like a game with a deep stealth element - insert sadface here) and mapping things out, that could be interesting.

I guess I'll have to try it after all.

Damn.
◕/◕'s

Nadir

I just came across a spider dungeon *eyetwitch*

Craz

Quote from: Shjade on January 30, 2011, 05:23:29 PM
Hm.

You know, #2 of his video series has me wondering if I've been thinking about Minecraft the wrong way. Most of what I've seen/heard about it has to do with the multiplayer and with crafting, all the crap people build and the life-size Enterprise recreations and so on and so on, all of which seems like an incredibly boring way to spend time on a computer.

It hadn't occurred to me that, in single-player, the game is also essentially my favorite part of an MMO: exploration. Just the moment where Seananners goes out on his pre-dusk escapade and stumbles on that deep crevasse had me go, Hey. That could be fun. Screw the finding coal and building things part, whatever, but just wandering around an open world (or sneaking around in it at night as the case may be, though it doesn't seem like a game with a deep stealth element - insert sadface here) and mapping things out, that could be interesting.

I guess I'll have to try it after all.

Damn.

I tend to variate between mining and exploring. I mine and mine and mine until I get cool metals, then I go out and hunt various monsters. And, when I've bored of an area, I take everything that I want to and move on to a new place.

Shjade

That seems like what I'll end up doing. The building is slow and complicated (ladders to hover lava? how does that make any sense?) and, well, the game doesn't look great so it seems silly to put much effort into building something so blocky and meh, but the digging is extensive!

Just sorta sucks that there's not much I want to do with all the materials I dig up. Ah well.

And I was right about it lacking stealth. Boo.
◕/◕'s

DobbyDevotchka

I have absolutely no association to this game other than the amount of laughter it brings me when i watch tutorials on youtube.  And that isn't meant to sound cunty, if it did! I think its a hilariously charming, back to basics kind of game that really challenges the gamer.  Sort of forces you to live outside of the conventions that we've all come to accept as 'norm' when thinking of a video game in general. They're so advanced and complex these days.   I find Minecraft to be a very post-modernistic game... IN ALL SENSE OF THE TERM!! (hopes to all heck she used post modern in the right context.. )

Shjade

Been playing the game three days and already trying to think up challenges to spice it up a bit.

First one to attempt: playing on Hard difficulty, do no digging for resources you cannot already see either on the surface or in natural caverns.

I see a lot of charcoal, treehouse with ladders and stone tools in my future.
◕/◕'s

klamity

I've done multiple builds: most on peaceful as im a wuss.

Underground cities consisting of massive caverns blown out by ludicrous amounts of tnt. Currently unfinished, planned rail way system between large number of chambers and areas, banks and such.

A rail line that connects multiple 'countries' as denoted by flags made using coloured letters. Currently countries and other such places (made and planned) include:
Made: Germany (First zone, contains main house, entrance to the mine), the Hub (Rail hub leading to other places, planned expanantion into a 'rest shelter' with a large observation deck), Russia (Main lodge, build on islands, flag build on large natural pillar), Canada (Largest country, having 3 lodges currently. Planned expantions include: more houses, open bonfires, open crafting areas, raised walkways, as well as connecting it to the rail line.), Switzerland (one lodge, with kitchen area and lounge area. Large wooden walk way leads to to the top of the mountains its in.).
Planned: The Wastes (Large empty area between Hub and...), Creeper Land (A land blown apart by tnt. 'nuff said.), Atlantis (Entrance already slightly dug out beneath the ice in Russia.)

A meager tree house from what ive seen, many, many patches back

A large factory which included many different rail lines including rail lines for: lava/obsidian farming, underground quarries, underground crew quarters, 'secret' portal to hell with a portal inside hell leading into a massive treasury.

Like I actually pay attention to lectures.

Nadir

My house is slowly taking shape in the form of a huge toadstool - but I've ran out of bricks and am hunting for clay.

A creeper almost exploded near it, but I lured it off ^_^

Shjade

Quote from: Eden on February 03, 2011, 12:39:00 PM
A creeper almost exploded near it, but I lured it off ^_^
They don't explode if you kill them.
◕/◕'s

Nadir

you don't say

Unfortunately I was only packing red brick cubes at the time - they are not as effective as real bricks

Dizzi

I've hears stories of people fencing off thier homes, about ten+ blocks away so that if a creeper comes, it will not destroy their house

klamity

well, just learn to build a simple water trap, or, for much more visual effect, build one deep a** chasm. Personally, if I was doing this, the chasm would be around 70 blocks in INNER diameter, and the chasm itself would be 6 blocks wide. The house its protecting? A giant floating sphere. How to get in there? A rail line that goes all the way down almost, into the center part and then right up into the sphere.

Shjade

Quote from: klamity on February 03, 2011, 04:09:27 PM
well, just learn to build a simple water trap, or, for much more visual effect, build one deep a** chasm. Personally, if I was doing this, the chasm would be around 70 blocks in INNER diameter, and the chasm itself would be 6 blocks wide. The house its protecting? A giant floating sphere. How to get in there? A rail line that goes all the way down almost, into the center part and then right up into the sphere.
My. Extravagant.

So far I've found mass torches and environmental awareness to be quite adequate defenses for my four attempts at bases: a workbench and several furnaces plopped at the bottom of a natural cave, a log cabin built in the center of a small pond, a series of trees linked together with some wood planks between the boughs and a ladder blocked off by a doorway, and an igloo built around the mouth of a surface-level natural cave. As far as I can tell, as long as you have good lighting over roughly the entire chunk that contains access to your home area, you should be fine, as long as you pay attention to your surroundings when you're first coming outside. Building near water can help with that; creepers might be silent themselves, but they still splash when they hit water, so if you hear splashing around it's a good time to be on guard.

It is much harder to melee creepers to death safely online than offline though, I'll admit. Just that little bit of lag is enough that they stay in range to explode rather than defuse.
◕/◕'s

klamity

Quote from: Shjade on February 04, 2011, 03:36:42 AM
My. Extravagant.

I've gotten bored with little projects. I remember the first project I really did was I raised an island out of the water and build a small city on it with 3 districts: Catherdral, Residential and Harbour.

Shjade

Is that project on a server or offline? I've only just started a server world myself. I wish there were more obvious tutorials on how the various commands work for out-of-game stuff, like how to fix bad chunks, change map generation variables for biome variety, restart the server world from scratch, etc. It's more tedious trying to find the information I want than it is to clear out a bare rock cave.
◕/◕'s

klamity

I don't mess around with servers so I wouldn't be able to tell you much, sorry.

Yorubi

Well I did finally play it (found out my brother had an account and played it). I must say its interesting but I don't know how well I'd be off in terms of building stuff. Seems like a pain to get just what you want to use. I kind of worry about what its like playing online since people can be jerks and destroy your stuff.

Still its kinda cool. If I wasn't so poor and needing every dollar I earn, I'd probably go for it.

Dizzi

Hint: Spiders spawn in trees.  I've made that mistake before haha

Shjade

Quote from: Dizzi on February 04, 2011, 01:21:11 PM
Hint: Spiders spawn in trees.  I've made that mistake before haha
I'd wager any of the baddies can if it's too dark. I've seen zombies wandering around up in trees before, and saw a skeleton leap off the top of one (to his death off a cliff - silly skeleton).
◕/◕'s

Dizzi

I had a place that was well lit.  And then spiders spawned.  I was not happy.  (My current world has a spot where monsters spawn 24/7 :D  so I can go there, hang out in the sun and get some free stuff! :D

Craz

So, a bit of a necro, but there was an update today!

I want to go home and play now...

Shjade

Quote from: Craz on February 22, 2011, 12:54:43 PM
So, a bit of a necro, but there was an update today!

I want to go home and play now...
Yeah, good luck with that. I haven't been able to log in since trying to get it to update. Minecraft servers are gonna get SMASHED for a while, and it'll be longer until any mods you may have been using will work again, etc.
◕/◕'s

Drow Denizen

Whenever I see Minecraft I can't help but think of this strip

http://www.xkcd.com/598/

::)
You might say it's sexist to treat women like objects, so you can ogle their luscious rounded boobies and melt away between their smooth milky thighs as the sweat runs in rivulets from their writhing, sensuous body, but...sorry, I forgot where I was going with that.

klamity

Dat lighting.

That is all.

Shjade

Turns out they borked things up with this patch so the game won't run single-player at all for OS X pre-Snow Leopard.

Ffffff-
◕/◕'s

klamity

Quote from: Shjade on February 22, 2011, 08:25:20 PM
Turns out they borked things up with this patch so the game won't run single-player at all for OS X pre-Snow Leopard.

Ffffff-

>OS X pre-Snow Leopard
>OS X
>implying mac user
>obligatory 'mac's dont play games'

Shjade

Sorry, what? I couldn't hear you over my Colossi blasting the Zerg. ;p

But yeah. Apparently 10.6+ versions of the OS are still fine, but 10.5.8 and lower can't run single-player anymore. Multi works fine, though. It's weird. Of course, this patch also screwed up the Windows version, too; people just found ways to go around the problem on Windows, whatever it is.
◕/◕'s

klamity

Odd, I haven't encountered any problems. I can also confirm that bleeding obsidian does exist: I have yet to find it, but there texture IS THERE! Open up the minecraft.jar file with winrar or something and open the terrain.png file.

Nadir

That's a nice lighting update. Also, I was just mining towards the sound of water - and come face to face with this;

I choked on my tea. XD

Shjade

Wallsquid is watching you dig. @.@
◕/◕'s

klamity

Quote from: Eden on February 23, 2011, 12:57:51 AM
That's a nice lighting update. Also, I was just mining towards the sound of water - and come face to face with this;

I choked on my tea. XD

Oh my lord O_O

Who's in favour that Eden builds a monument to wall squid?

Shjade

I can't decide if it's disappointing or reassuring that the Minecraft community, despite having several talented modders and in-game builders in its population, seems to be made up mostly of jackasses and dumbs like every other online community.

I'm leaning toward "disappointing" at the moment.
◕/◕'s

Dizzi

For epicness.

in the seed, type:
Glacier

OR

10110101  turn 180 and walk straight

Shjade

Actually started a Glacier seed not long ago. Setting up camp on one of the smaller floating islands by swimming up the waterfall to get onto it. I'll bridge all of them together with glass eventually. Floating island wizard city! :D

However:
Quote from: Dizzi on February 24, 2011, 12:09:11 AM
10110101  turn 180 and walk straight
This is not so helpful since your spawn location is random. Press F3 and find the coordinates of the thing you want to point out rather than just saying "look this direction" since, well, I probably won't spawn where you did so I'll be seeing something completely different.
◕/◕'s

Dizzi

alright >_<  That's what I was told to do and it worked for me haha.

the co-ordinates are (Approx)

X: 42
Y:  73
Z: 127

you may have to change your render distance.  but you will DEFINATLEY see it.  VERY large.

Another, is 404 which, after some walking, you will find some gravel.  Dig at it an WOW

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=190157 <--- more info on 404

Shjade

Quote from: Dizzi on February 24, 2011, 01:21:04 AMAnother, is 404 which, after some walking, you will find some gravel.  Dig at it an WOW

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=190157 <--- more info on 404
*posted attempt results in that thread earlier!*
◕/◕'s

Dizzi

ooohhh!  Is your username the same?

I may post my attempts....

Nadir

... I've been trying to get to the Nethers, got some obsidian, made a gate (4x4 - I realise now that's the wrong size) and tried to spark it... lit myself on fire... *siiiigh*

Shjade

It's almost the same. Shjade was taken when I first registered at the site (rare, but has happened a couple times before) so I had to go with an older variant I used to use.
◕/◕'s

Dizzi

xD

It is 3X4

you don't have to fill it in corners either.  So it can be
oXXo
XooX
XooX
XooX
oXXo

(X = Obsidian.  o=Air)

Nadir

::) 4x5, you mean. Yeah, I worked it out after about 5 rebuilds. Many swearwords were said. *grins*

Of course, when I finally got through I shot a pigman. Hunted down by half a dozen blazing things >:(

klamity

If you build in the Nether, make sure its out of something strong. Ghasts easily tear through anything with their damn fire balls. Took me forever to build myself a wall between my portal and them out of netherstone, much to my dismay.

Nadir

I think I lucked out in that respect - I popped out in an odd cave system. No Ghasts in sight (heard one, though...)

klamity

Lucked out? the last time I popped out in a cave system I was stuck under the lava lake!

Nadir

*laughs!* Sucks to be you, man ;)

Shjade

Quote from: klamity on February 24, 2011, 04:11:12 PM
If you build in the Nether, make sure its out of something strong. Ghasts easily tear through anything with their damn fire balls. Took me forever to build myself a wall between my portal and them out of netherstone, much to my dismay.
It doesn't need to be strong if it's whole. They won't shoot at you through solid walls. This means you can make tunnels from one portal to the next out of glass, provided you make sure you're not under fire while building it (you might switch to peaceful until it's complete if you're having a hard time, and it isn't easy building in the Nether), and you should then be safe moving from one portal to the other despite being able to see Ghasts outside.

In theory.
◕/◕'s

mannik

I recently got into this game, and I have to say it is awesomely awesome.

I also just made myself a spiffy new skin for my character which got me wondering, what sorts of skins does everyone here have? Also, did you make it yourself or download it.

Here's mine (I'm a zombie). I kinda like how it turned out.

Nadir

That's so awesome!

I, unfortunately, lack the computer wizardry needed to understand how to download and use the skins, or make my own. 

klamity

I had downloaded an Altair skin, but it wont download now from the Minecraft servers :/

Nadir

Looks like we're going to get dogs in some far, distant upgrade.

klamity

:D I did see. Anyone see their new game, Scrolls?

Im also hoping for wolves/bears. Thats when I download a John Marston skin and go NUTS 'skinning' cows.

Nadir

There's an excellent looking mod that has wolves, lions and all other sorts of animals. I forget it's name.

And Scrolls looks intriguing, though I'm not that enthralled by its premise. *waits to see what it's like*

klamity

Quote from: Eden on March 02, 2011, 10:46:57 AM
And Scrolls looks intriguing, though I'm not that enthralled by its premise. *waits to see what it's like*

Everyone's sentiment really.

Dizzi

Quote from: Eden on March 02, 2011, 10:46:57 AM
There's an excellent looking mod that has wolves, lions and all other sorts of animals. I forget it's name.

Mo' Creatures

Aiden

I need a multiplayer server to play on, any suggestions?

Dizzi

server.crafthub.net

right now it is a temp server.  but soon it will be re-instated with all of the, awesome, structures etc. :D

mannik

Quote from: Eden on March 02, 2011, 07:44:37 AM
That's so awesome!

I, unfortunately, lack the computer wizardry needed to understand how to download and use the skins, or make my own.

It's actually pretty easy. All you need to do to change your skin is find one you like, download it (Should be a 64x32 png). Then log on to minecraft's main site and click on profile. Upload the texture and poof, your skin is changed.

If you want to make your own, the basic player texture is provided on the same page that you upload your skin to. You can edit it in your favorite image editing software or use a nifty little program developed by the minecraft community to edit and preview your skin. I used photoshop for the actual editing, and used the MCSkinEditor program to preview it and get the screenshot I showed off earlier.

Get SkinEdit Here
(Note: put http://gf.web44.net/skinedit/skintest2.jar into the input box that pops up on startup to get the preview function working.)

If you want to install texture packs, that's even easier. Just download the .zip file containing the texture pack to your .minecraft\texturepacks folder, then select it from Minecraft's main menu.

If you don't want to fool with it, I can try making you a custom skin for your character. That could be a fun little challenge. Just let me know what you want.

Nadir

Wolfies (work in progress)

Wolves!

I'd hate to see what happens to one that goes against a creeper D:

klamity

I figured it would be Eden who posted this ^^

Not to mention that creepy picture you have that looks like a wolf O_O
I swear I've seen that in my nightmares before, always hunting me, watching from the shadows but never attacking.

mannik

I see your wolves and raise you nazi zombies.

ZombieCraft = Minecraft + Nazi Zombies

klamity

See, my little brother, being a gamer with no mind of his own, would eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner if he could. When he first got his own Xbox, he had three games. Modern Warfare 2, Reach, and some baseball game. All he played was MW2. Now, all he plays is Black Ops and Minecraft. I hope to god he doesn't find this.

Nadir

I've been following the Yogscast minecraft adventures on youtube, and I'm really impressed with them. I totally want to create something like their Israphel series.

I felt the .7 update was rather disappointing, but the screenshots of the .8 update look really quite awesome. Ruins and villages and giant mushrooms and a new mob... awesome.

klamity

Underground Ravines. My god.

Also, I wish they would add in something like the Finite Water mod. I just love pumping water around everywhere ^^

Nadir

I know, right?

I need to download an unzip programme so I can get some of those mods and test out a few texture packs. The adventure maps also look like loads of fun.

Kunoichi

*hasn't been following along with what's expected in 1.8*

I really like pistons, myself. ^^ Admittedly, this is at least partly because pistons were what finally got me to start messing around with Redstone, but still...

*has a nice secret door for her mountain hideout, now*

Harley

Quote from: Eden on July 04, 2011, 08:24:44 PM
I've been following the Yogscast minecraft adventures on youtube, and I'm really impressed with them. I totally want to create something like their Israphel series.

I love the Yogscast!  They make me laugh every single time I watch their videos.  They were the ones that got me into wanting to try minecraft, and...  Well, here I am!

I don't know how to make the piston and shears though, so I have to kill sheep until I do learn. 

Nadir

Shears recipe

Two iron in a / diagonal

Harley

OH!  That would make sense.   Thank you.   

Kunoichi

Shears are made with two iron ingots arranged diagonally.  They also drop more wool per sheep than punching, so they can be pretty useful in that regard. ^^

Shears
Piston

Edit: Ninja'd :P

Nadir

klamity

With these pistons I've decided to make a mostly static steam punk-y airship. The engine room will have working pistons and such, but the propellers wont move and all that. Working bomb bays as well :D

Nadir

Kunoichi

Nice. ;D I mostly tend to focus on building buildings in Minecraft, myself.  Right at the moment, I'm working on a mansion. ^^

Anjasa

I'm so sad. My server file is corrupted :( I keep getting errors and it seems everything is lost.

I spent about 5 hours trying to fix the problem or find a solution, but nothin' so far.

klamity

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 05, 2011, 03:21:18 PM
Nice. ;D I mostly tend to focus on building buildings in Minecraft, myself.  Right at the moment, I'm working on a mansion. ^^

Transportation is my specialty. Rail system, train stations. Netherworld rail works. Roads, sign posts and most of all BRIDGES!

mannik

This made me giggle, thought I'd share.

Shjade

That's possibly the best edit of that .gif I've seen. Nice.
◕/◕'s

Syauglan

Quote from: klamity on July 05, 2011, 03:47:16 PM
Transportation is my specialty. Rail system, train stations. Netherworld rail works. Roads, sign posts and most of all BRIDGES!
Bridges! That's something I've not built yet, even in the Nether where they would make a lot more sense than my ladders and islands approach.

My specialties are underwater structures and creating huge dark forests with narrow paths running through them.

Kunoichi

I guess the Creepers in those forests specialize in creating forest clearings, then? :P

Hmm.  At some point, I need to restart this world that I lost the save for and try to see if I can get that tower built again.  It was a sandstone tower, and I had been planning on building it all the way up to the top...

Nadir

I'm playing on Vechs' Legendary map, the crazy hard one. Bloody brilliant.

klamity

Quote from: Syauglan on July 08, 2011, 07:10:55 PM
Bridges! That's something I've not built yet, even in the Nether where they would make a lot more sense than my ladders and islands approach.

My specialties are underwater structures and creating huge dark forests with narrow paths running through them.

Beyond transportation I also tend to specialize in underground construction. I make massive caverns with ludicrous amounts of tnt and then connect them to the transit system. Of course, my old city is in much disrepair. Not finished at all, and it runs on the old glitch boosters for the transit is defunkt

Shjade

Quote from: Eden on July 08, 2011, 08:20:51 PM
I'm playing on Vechs' Legendary map, the crazy hard one. Bloody brilliant.
Details?
◕/◕'s

Nadir

This is the minecraftforum thread for it and the other maps - the one I mentioned is #7. It is effing huge and beautiful and I've died at least a hundred times already.

klamity

Eden, I am downloading legendary now. God have rest on our souls

Nadir

Shjade

Sounds like my kind of fun. Minecraft's too easy. ;p

I'll get started on map #7 the next time I boot up Mac-side.
◕/◕'s

Syauglan

Quote from: Kunoichi on July 08, 2011, 07:17:16 PM
I guess the Creepers in those forests specialize in creating forest clearings, then? :P
Curse them! We hates them! Peaceful difficulty setting is our friend.

Seriously though, I've built stuff like dense forests so I can include them as interesting locations on an MP server for newb friends I'm expecting to get into Minecraft a few months from now. I know that as soon as they discover them fire they'll burn them down. I do it anyway. Screw it. If they do that I'll burn their houses down, with the lemons.

Syauglan

Quote from: Syauglan on July 08, 2011, 11:12:33 PM

Seriously though, I've built stuff like dense forests so I can include them as interesting locations on an MP server for newb friends I'm expecting to get into Minecraft a few months from now. I know that as soon as they discover fire they'll burn them down. I do it anyway. Screw it. If they do that I'll burn their houses down, with the lemons.

Syauglan

Wow. Not being able to delete posts sucks when you're 'unapproved'. Mods, please?  :-*

Kunoichi

Quote from: Syauglan on July 08, 2011, 11:12:33 PM

Seriously though, I've built stuff like dense forests so I can include them as interesting locations on an MP server for newb friends I'm expecting to get into Minecraft a few months from now. I know that as soon as they discover them fire they'll burn them down. I do it anyway. Screw it. If they do that I'll burn their houses down, with the lemons.

And if they make their houses out of Cobblestone? :P

But yeah, making a cool custom MP server for your friends sounds like something really awesome to do. ^^

Nadir

Fire is too slow. Use TNT.

mannik

Quote from: Eden on July 08, 2011, 11:19:21 PM
Fire is too slow. Use TNT.

No! If you run around blowing your friend's stuff up...then you'd just be a creeper in disguise.

Kunoichi

Or a griefer, at the very least. :P

Nadir

How about just luring a creeper into their home then locking it in?

Also, Vechs is such a troll. 

klamity

Quote from: Eden on July 09, 2011, 09:40:46 AM

My god. I was attempting to dig a shortcut tunnel to both the section with the weird snaky lines of material and the castle (intersection one) and the bastard put tnt in the walls! And at the beginning of the rail tracks!

Nadir

And in the square block on the road to the floating twisty sand part. Oh, have you looked down at the lava under the intersection? I saw a dark pixel so mined down the side of the wall to see what it was. A chest. So I built a bridge across to it. It contained the epic treasure of... one lone torch.

¬_¬

But I did find a big stash of coal and smoothstone. I don't think I've ever marvelled at the speed of stone tools more than I do right now.

I've not managed to find the achievement temple yet, but I have got two of the treasure blocks - one orange wool and one white.

klamity

I just found the white wool, and the TWANG! temple in the same zone. Trust me, go there. Its lower in the area, but the whole area has soooo much. A bow, stone tool set, loooots of rails, loooots of powered rails, steps, all kinds of things. Im moving my main base there asap

Nadir

I saw that stuff, but it's not the temple. I've set up a house on the crossroads.

Uh, protip. Beware the Greenhouse in the Eastern Commons.

mannik

Quote from: Eden on July 09, 2011, 09:40:46 AM
How about just luring a creeper into their home then locking it in?

Did that once on complete accident to one of my neighbors on the SMP server I play on...Went into his house to look around, it was nice. Turned around to leave and Ssssss Boom! Half his living room was gone.

I tried to repair the damage, but he had the area protected so I couldn't make any changes....any block I placed dissapeared and went back into my inventory.

Nadir

Anyone doing the Legendary map - I've found the magenta wool in a mossy cobblestone dock in East Commons and the yellow in the Castle of Jealousy off the 2nd intersection. The fortress in East Commons... yeah, don't go. The prize is a stick. ¬_¬

Still no sign of the Achievement Temple.   

Calison

Does anyone have any tips on making a mushroom farm? I know the things spread very slowly, but at the moment I have an essential "dark" room set up, above ground (high in the air in fact as I've constructed most of my buildings and farms in midair) and they hardly spreading at all. I have a couple of torches in the room to prevent monsters from spawning inside, but it is going waaay slower than I was expecting.

Nadir

Try using redstone torches instead of coal ones, they throw just enough light to keep the mobs from spawning but don't hinder the 'shrooms growth.

Calison

It worked like a charm! Thanks Eden!

Braioch

I fear the day I'll have the money to play this game....
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Nadir

One of us, one of us! *wriggles fingers at Brai*

klamity

So, folks, I need a small bit of assistance for building plans and such.

When i complete my next 'figure' (Master Chief holding an energy sword) ill be out of things to make! ):

What I want some help is with...

Good boat plans to be blown up for that airship

AND (wait for it...)

A full sized screenshot that I can turn into a painting of the final battle with Chaos from Final Fantasy 1. Thats right, the whole battle screen. All built with no fly mods.

If you guys have anything like that, or more ideas you have, It'd be much appreciated :D

Nadir

I can't help, my builds are usually silly.

klamity

What site are you using to host images?

Also, how are you using the img http code? :S

If I get those I will share my stuff!

Nadir

Photobucket, and it's BBCode, not http

[img]imageurlhere.jpg[/img]

Harley

Do you guys have a secret multi-server you play on?   I am kinda in the mood to play with other people, even if I am a bit of a hermit in minecraft.   

Nadir

I mostly play solo.

Harley

All right.   I guess I'll play a custom map.

I wanted to try this one, but I don't know what to do with a .rar file.  -_-

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/389807-surv-the-dome/

Nadir

7-zip is a freeware programme that will let you access it, if you don't have winrar.

Harley

Ah, yeah, I just downloaded winrar and I was able to open it. 

Looking forward to trying this!

Nadir

It looks like a really awesome map!

Harley

Um...  I failed at it, miserably. 

Two creepers and I think at least two skeletons spawned at once within a few mins of me making a sword and I was dead in a few seconds. 

Not sure if I can really handle this map. 

Nadir

What's your difficulty at?

Harley

Normal but...  I think this is too intense for now.   

So now going to try to find another survival map.   

klamity

With master chief done, I will now attempt...THIS!

Now, hopefully I can come up with all the colours ><*

EDIT
It will look something like that for sure. I'm going to be using an amalgamation of pictures to make the final product.

Nadir

Harley

That really inspires me, Eden. 

Nadir

I put a portal inside it, and I'm making the nether into the interior.

...I've been pretty constantly on fire...

Harley

Wow!  Yeah...  I bet it burns. 

Shjade

Quote from: Eden on July 23, 2011, 04:36:48 PM
I put a portal inside it, and I'm making the nether into the interior.
That's a pretty nifty idea. I only just got into Doctor Who about two weeks ago, myself. Awesome show. =D

...but, uh. That box looks a little larger on the outside, too. ;p
◕/◕'s

Nadir

mannik

The adventure update is finally here!

*does a happy jig then gets to digging.*

klamity

Mineshafts are way to large notch. seriously. Way. Too. Large.

mannik

The most epic part of this update.....pigs have snouts now.

-edit-
Heh...you want a weird world to play in? Put in Adventure as the seed and you'll have a bunch of small islands and a vast ocean...very little room to build on, and almost no resources...good luck!

Alex Young

I haven't been playing it much, but will definitely start playing a lot more when they add hardcore mode(when you die your world get deleted) and stats :)
O/O

Lycan Queen

I just started playing on Easy mode, and I finally figured out how to set up a server.

My friends and I are currently playing on a challenge map of a small desert island with only one tree and a large monster spawn at night. We got our house set up pretty well with minor creeper attacks. Let's see where this goes!

klamity

if you want a fun time with friends, get like 6 people together and do a Super Hostile - Race for Wool

DrFier

I'd been contemplating starting a server myself, but wouldn't really know what to do with it.  Anyways, I wouldn't really know what to do with it and anything I built probably wouldn't be able to house more than 8 players or so.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

klamity

I've actually started a server with a few friends, and we even are doing youtube videos.

Suttbecks Adventures! Skylands Part 1

AeonReflux

I am still playing the role as dirty, dirty slave to sidescrollers (it's my guilty pleasure from way back) so I was hesitant to try Minecraft, regardless of how much my friends nagged at me. I eventually caved because...well...just like World of Warcraft, I suddenly noticed everyone was playing it except me! I bought it within the first day of playing and I am so in love :) I felt super stupid trying to explain what it was to people who don't play though; "Yeah, you um... take squares, and build stuff with the squares. Like, you dig the squares, then you have a square for each one you dig. And there are like, dirt squares, and sand squares......" Needless to say, my sister will never play this game.

klamity

Its always good to discover a new game! And then play the living **** out of it.